• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is that the GOP base was so sick of losing and even their big midterm victories not yielding what they were promised

They blamed two RINOs for costing them 08 and 12

Then Trump comes along, despite the gop establishment crying about it the whole way, saying it was going to destroy them, actually gives them a victory and total government control

Even if they are personally done with Trump if they dump him but lose in 2020 they'll never ever live it down. The gop base will march into every single republican congressmen's office and beat the shit out of them all one by one.

Regardless if the polling is bad for him they don't believe it either because he beat the polling last time

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Troll or not, I don't understand why some people can't just ignore posters that get under their skin. These threads can be soooo good, and then other times they can get derailed by the slightest thing and result in pages of nonsense.

Tarkus

Oct 25, 2017
US
Troll or not, I don't understand why some people can't just ignore posters that get under their skin. These threads can be soooo good, and then other times they can get derailed by the slightest thing and result in pages of nonsense.
The problem is that you have people who say "ur so stupid" etc. Why can't people who may or may not have an opposing opinion be respected?

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I'm pretty sure there is not a single person in this thread who will refuse to vote in the general if it comes down to Bernie vs. Trump.

The core of Trump's base is a cult of personality. They don't give a shit about the "White House as a whole" and trying to salvage the reputation of the rest of the administration, they care about Trump. And they will not see something like that as saving the soul of the White House, they'll see it as the DC establishment trying to pin it all on their guy as an excuse to get rid of someone who, as they all know, didn't even like Trump in the first place.

This is a moot point anyway since certainly Senate Republicans, bar maybe a couple at the absolute most, will do anything like this. Any brazenly illegal thing Trump does will be handwave or rationalized away in some manner, just as they've done with every other brazenly illegal thing Trump has done in his life to date.
I'd like to think you are right, but I am afraid they are more united in greed and "hatred" for the left/immigrants/others than united by his personality. And if a transition lets them continue with the cruelty and hate, they will happily shift. Especially if he can be pardoned and thus always crow about injustices. We've seen it a number of times already where individuals are disposable to the overall cause.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Official Staff Communication
Let's drop the hot takes and shitposts, please. Let's all try to keep discussion healthy, not antagonize and escalate, and if needed, the ignore function is there.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
The problem is that you have people who say "ur so stupid" etc. Why can't people who may or may not have an opposing opinion be respected?

Because, as a Republican, you are okay at the very least with the disenfranchisement of non-white people, the subjugation of women and LGBT people, and the decimation of the lower and middle class. All of this predates Trump, so don't try to pull that shit on me. You are evil. You don't deserve a lick of respect, and I have no idea why you would expect to be given any.

Modpost noted, that's the last I'm gonna say.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017

@AndrewDesiderio
This is completely false, despite claims over the weekend by Trump's allies. The rules about first-hand and second-hand information were never changed, as @kpoulsen expertly explains here:
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
WHO CHANGED THE LONG STANDING WHISTLEBLOWER RULES JUST BEFORE SUBMITTAL OF THE FAKE WHISTLEBLOWER REPORT? DRAIN THE SWAMP!
10:20 - 30 Sep 2019

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
While I think there is better than a non-zero chance that the Senate convicts, I think the more likely scenario is that Trump resigns/chooses not to run for re-election, or the cabinet enacts the 25th amendment. Trump is going to continue to go off the rails at this rate, and if his talk of treason and civil war doesn't stop it may actually get enough people worried that they actually take action to save their own ass. Two weeks ago I would have put the chances of him making it to next November at 99%+, today I think it's more like 80%.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
I think Trump's decision might hinge on the amount of $$$ he's getting. He'll probably measure support by donations. If there's still money ot be had, he won't care if he drags down the party. If he has nothing to gain, I think his ego will eventually lose out to his greed.

Oct 26, 2017
Ukraine won't get Trump there own transcript.

LMAO.

Ukraine being like, no we won't cover for you, we won't alter our transcript. And we can show everyone if you doctored it

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is that the GOP base was so sick of losing and even their big midterm victories not yielding what they were promised

They blamed two RINOs for costing them 08 and 12

Then Trump comes along, despite the gop establishment crying about it the whole way, saying it was going to destroy them, actually gives them a victory and total government control

Even if they are personally done with Trump if they dump him but lose in 2020 they'll never ever live it down. The gop base will march into every single republican congressmen's office and beat the shit out of them all one by one.

Regardless if the polling is bad for him they don't believe it either because he beat the polling last time

I have this morbid desire to see what happens when the Republican party will eventually try to dump Trump, at which won't Trump just claim (accurately) that he is the party? So what happens then? Will it be as you quoted or will the republican voters fall back in line with Mitch McConnell's establishment?

Tarkus

Oct 25, 2017
US
User banned (1 week): Trolling, antagonizing other members. Ignoring staff post.
[/QUOTE]
Just because people don't post doesn't mean that they haven't been around longer than you and have more insight than you.
Because, as a Republican, you are okay at the very least with the disenfranchisement of non-white people, the subjugation of women and LGBT people, and the decimation of the lower and middle class. All of this predates Trump, so don't try to pull that shit on me. You are evil. You don't deserve a lick of respect, and I have no idea why you would expect to be given any.

Modpost noted, that's the last I'm gonna say.
You're angry and misinformed. You take talking heads and force them to represent all that you hate with no malleability. There's a lot more to the Republican party than Donald Trump or Mitch McConnell. I apologize for how you see me. I regret that you hastily put me down. I feel that this type of attitude will be the downfall of your party's presidential campaign.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Even though lying under oath is absolutely an impeachable offense, GOP just couldn't get the public to care enough about the subject matter

This is not really comparable. The majority at least agrees leveraging foreign governments to help win elections is serious enough

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie's strategy (or at least, what I understand it to be) is interesting in the sense that it's a large gamble. If he can get nonvoters out in large numbers to win early states, it changes the scope of his primary performance. If they don't show up, it'll likely solidify him in 3rd (assuming Biden doesn't tank).

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I have this morbid desire to see what happens when the Republican party will eventually try to dump Trump, at which won't Trump just claim (accurately) that he is the party? So what happens then? Will it be as you quoted or will the republican voters fall back in line with Mitch McConnell's establishment?
They won't go back to another Christian conservative always talking about the 80s again. I can imagine Desantis, Kemp and Crenshaw being the types that will win primaries going forward. They'll still want a strong man nationalist with hardline views on immigration. Even if they aren't personality wise as bombastic as Trump

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Just because people don't post doesn't mean that they haven't been around longer than you and have more insight than you.

You're angry and misinformed. You take talking heads and force them to represent all that you hate with no malleability. There's a lot more to the Republican party than Donald Trump or Mitch McConnell. I apologize for how you see me. I regret that you hastily put me down. I feel that this type of attitude will be the downfall of your party's presidential campaign.
I have a libertarian registered-Republican friend who tries to make this argument too, but frankly this is just living in denial. Trump and McConnell are the leaders of the Republican party. Trump was elected by more voters than any other Republican, with a bigger share of the Electoral than any Republican in 30 years. His approval rating among GOP voters is somewhere between 85-90% on any given day; he is the most president among Republicans since Reagan. There is certainly not "a lot more" to the party than Trump and McConnell, and the anti-Trump fringes of the party that do exist are just that -- fringes. Not only do they have no say or power in the current makeup of the party, they are constantly forced out by the party or Republican voters (e.g. Jeff Flake's retirement, Mark Sanford's primary loss, Justin Amash's forced party switch, Weekly Standard going out of business).

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
They won't go back to another Christian conservative always talking about the 80s again. I can imagine Desantis, Kemp and Crenshaw being the types that will win primaries going forward. They'll still want a strong man nationalist with hardline views on immigration. Even if they aren't personality wise as bombastic as Trump
So they want a Trump, minus all the attention.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Transcript of the phonecalls between Trump Ukraine where Trump was extorting them
That's obvious, but why are you bringing it up? Like is there a story published about it?

Even though lying under oath is absolutely an impeachable offense, GOP just couldn't get the public to care enough about the subject matter

Article 1, Point 8 of Nixon's impeachment
making or causing to be made false or misleading public statements for the purpose of deceiving the people of the United States into believing that a thorough and complete investigation had been conducted with respect to allegations of misconduct on the part of personnel of the executive branch of the United States and personnel of the Committee for the Re-election of the President, and that there was no involvement of such personnel in such misconduct: or

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I agree. Even if he loses next year, Trump is going to be the standard and common reference point for Republicans the way Reagan was for 30 years.

Tom Cotton is probably a good example of the Republican model going forward.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Bernie's strategy (or at least, what I understand it to be) is interesting in the sense that it's a large gamble. If he can get nonvoters out in large numbers to win early states, it changes the scope of his primary performance. If they don't show up, it'll likely solidify him in 3rd (assuming Biden doesn't tank).
Problem is anyone whose strategy is built on "nonvoters will magically show up" is probably not going to win that bet.

The only counterpoint I can really think of is Florida in 2016 (and 2018) with the panhandle turning out for Trump, but even then that wouldn't have secured him the presidency without voter apathy giving him WI, MI and PA as well.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I agree. Even if he loses next year, Trump is going to be the standard and common reference point for Republicans the way Reagan was for 30 years.

Tom Cotton is probably a good example of the Republican model going forward.
If Trump loses next year, he's going to go down the memory hole so unbelievably quickly. "Oh, that guy? Wasn't he a big democratic donor back in the day? Never liked The Apprentice."

Absolutely it's going to be the strongmen nationalists winning primaries, but if we can actually hold them accountable for once, I'm hopeful that their actual support in general will crumble.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
The GOP won't be able to escape the demographics doom that they've been slowly courting unless they drastically change course on topics such as immigration. But they can't do that without losing their base so eventually they are plain fucked on a national level.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Found this:

Sounds like they're not going to give the transcript to anyone, which makes sense for two reasons: Their constitution and it being a no-win scenario.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow. A female guest on Rush Limbaugh's show is trying to equate Trump to a beaten abused wife that is standing up to her abusers

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
Cotton and Crenshaw would be frightening if they can legit get attention after. Scumbags who won't let the truth get in the way of their ambition and far more competent than Trump would be a nightmare if it turns out they possess the necessary charisma.

Status
Not open for further replies.