• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Idk
Both "squads" can be courageous in their own ways.
these aren't women that ran on impeachment, but they pivoted at an important time.
It's 24 hour news, you need material

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I bet tomorrow is going to be crazy as fuck on news/talk shows
It won Best Drama lol
No it should get nothing as penance for the final season terribleness.
Sound Editing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (one Hour): Game Of Thrones

Special Visual Effects: Game Of Thrones, "The Bells"

Fantasy/sci-fi Costumes: Game Of Thrones, "The Bells"

Makeup For A Single-camera Series (non-prosthetic): Game Of Thrones, "The Long Night"

Stunt Coordination For A Drama Series, Limited Series Or Movie: Game Of Thrones

Main Title Design: Game Of Thrones

Music Composition For A Series (original Dramatic Score): Game Of Thrones

Casting For A Drama Series: Game Of Thrones

Single-camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series: Game Of Thrones, "The Long Night"

Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (one Hour): Game Of Thrones, "The Long Night"
These weren't deserved? Salty as fuck lol, writing is one aspect of the show and so many people worked hard on getting everything else right.

Anyway, last GoT post here lol

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
A tale as old as time...

I get why people are annoyed with this, but it's not wrong to give these members from vulnerable districts credit for paving the way for the rest of the impeachment-shy dems to come out in favor of it. Even in this thread we knew it was signaling something big when they wrote that op-ed.

In the (very unlikely) scenario a couple house/senate republicans come out in favor of impeachment and break the dam on that side we'll have to deal with endless articles praising them for their courage and it'll be insufferable.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Maxine Waters and Al Green were often ridiculed by their own party for being the first to openly call for impeachment. Never wavered.

Rashida Tlaib was threatened with censure. Never wavered.

These women "pivoted" only when Donald Trump's crimes grew to such a level that being against impeachment as a Democrat fundamentally became ethically and morally indefensible. But sure...courage!

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get why people are annoyed with this, but it's not wrong to give these members from vulnerable districts credit for paving the way for the rest of the impeachment-shy dems to come out in favor of it. Even in this thread we knew it was signaling something big when they wrote that op-ed.

In the (very unlikely) scenario a couple house/senate republicans come out in favor of impeachment and break the dam on that side we'll have to deal with endless articles praising them for their courage and it'll be insufferable.
Yeah, there's context in the full piece that a headline strips here. They're not being credited with leading the charge, but with getting it over the last hump.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maxine Waters and Al Green were often ridiculed by their own party for being the first to openly call for impeachment. Never wavered.

Rashida Tlaib was threatened with censure. Never wavered.

These women "pivoted" only when Donald Trump's crimes grew to such a level that being against impeachment as a Democrat fundamentally became ethically and morally indefensible. But sure...courage!
That's not how I would categorize the situation whatsoever.

Trump's been doing morally/ethically indefensible stuff for eons. What changed is him hitting up something we could get through the head of the average voter. Which didn't take a genius to figure out and like, no one should actually be getting credit for this beyond not fucking it up.

Wait I take that back, that is actually something.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
That's not how I would categorize the situation whatsoever.

Trump's been doing morally/ethically indefensible stuff for eons. What changed is him hitting up something we could get through the head of the average voter. Which didn't take a genius to figure out and like, no one should actually be getting credit for this beyond not fucking it up.

Wait I take that back, that is actually something.

And unless Pelosi and this moderate "vanguard" are clairvoyant, there's no way they could have known Trump would have served them up an easy bake impeachment.

There were people leading on this when it was hard. When it was risky. When the only compass provided was your conscience. I'm grateful that these women are finally here...finally...finally. But leaders they aren't.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And unless Pelosi and this moderate "vanguard" are clairvoyant, there's no way they could have known Trump would have served them up an easy bake impeachment.

There were people leading on this when it was hard. When it was risky. When the only compass provided was your conscience. I'm grateful that these women are finally here...finally...finally. But leaders they aren't.
I'm with you on this Roy, but let's at least be happy it's happening period.

Take the wins we can get in this post 2016 hellscape.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Waiting for a better opportunity was the better choice. Prior to this I thought going full BENGHAZI was the best strategy given the cicrcumstances at the time because of the difficulty of turning the Senate vote into a GOP Catch-22. Post-Ukraine, they need to be going for the throat.

"Risky" isn't really what I'd call supporting it in a deep blue Dem district though. Those leading on it and those for whom it was a risk were generally two separate categories.

I'm very thankful AOC actually understand the politics of this, unlike Osita N.
"Leaders" was a poor choice of words for the headline
Agreed, and the article as well.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
I'm with you on this Roy, but let's at least be happy it's happening period.

Take the wins we can get in this post 2016 hellscape.
I mean they got here. It's whatevah.

The food is cold, the good liquor is gone, and I wouldn't open that closet door if I were you.

But the party's still goin, and they got here...I guess.

REAuBky.gif

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I crazy or is Harrelson even wearing a contact lens to make his eye look like Biden's during the climate debate?

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
"Risky" isn't really what I'd call supporting it in a deep blue Dem district though. Those leading on it and those for whom it was a risk were generally two separate categories.
Maxine Waters has been attacked by Donald Trump (and her own party). She has been regularly used as fodder by the president.

She's had death threats sent to her office.

There was risk.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

Schiff has been grinding away at the impeachment for months, that was his job in leadership not Pelosi's. There were other investigations, as well. The Democrats haven't been dong nothing on congress until Pelosi's announcement this week.

ShotyMcFat

Oct 29, 2017
So I just found this article, not sure if it's posted yet.

"There is no way we could somehow bar the doors and prevent the managers from presenting the articles to the Senate," stated the memo, which was obtained by HuffPost. "The rules of impeachment are clear on this point."

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) also said as much in a March interview with NPR: "If it [impeachment] were to happen, the Senate has no choice. If the House were to act, the Senate immediately goes into a trial."

Since the Impeachment has started the polling in favour for it has significantly increased. According to Jeff flake (A former R Senator) "if it were a secret vote 35 republicans would vote in favour of impeachment". If the polls increase further the republicans may vote in favour (despite not being secret) of it because it's politically expedient

If you remember Nixon's impeachment had low approval to start with but it eventually became a majority in favour, which he then resigned in response to.

The fact that Moscow Mitch can't block it means there's a good chance trump might actually get impeached, all we need to hope for is that Pelosi and the rest of the Democratic leadership don't snatch Defeat from the Jaws of Victory.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ideal is that it's enough to push them to vote for it, but enough to also cost them a voting chunk in the GE.

I.E. we take stats like TX, IA, GA and NC with ease.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017

When H.R. McMaster took over as Mr. Trump's second national security adviser, those distribution lists grew smaller, officials said, although certain individuals, on a need-to-know basis, still could access records from the NSC traditional computer portal, which handled everything except CIA operational information, one official explained.

It couldn't immediately be determined whether the records of Mr. Trump's conversations with Mexico's president were stored in the highly secure computer system, but access to its content was virtually blocked, the officials said.
Beyond the existence of official records from the president's official calls, many senior officials have expressed concern over phone calls the president has had with foreign leaders on his cellphone.

Early in his presidency, the president handed his cellphone number out to several world leaders, including the heads of Mexico, Canada and France, and urged them to call him directly, an unusual invitation that breaks with diplomatic protocol and raised concerns about the security and secrecy of his communications, according to people with direct knowledge.

Even if the president conducted business on his government-issued cellphone, the calls are vulnerable to eavesdropping, particularly from foreign governments, officials said.
One former senior administration official said the president's advisers tried the best they could to manage the president's discussions with world leaders, "but once he's up in the residence, we never know who he's speaking to."

At the start of his presidency, Mr. Trump's freewheeling conversations with world leaders prompted consternation among the president's senior aides, who took steps to keep him from making inappropriate comments or divulging sensitive information.

On more than one occasion, John Kelly, the White House's then-chief of staff, who was often in the room during calls with world leaders, briefly muted the line so he could caution Mr. Trump against continuing to talk about sensitive subjects, according to a person with knowledge of the matter. The small group of advisers in the room for the calls would also often pass the president notes offering guidance, the person said.
What a numbskull.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
The fact that Moscow Mitch can't block it means there's a good chance trump might actually get impeached, all we need to hope for is that Pelosi and the rest of the Democratic leadership don't snatch Defeat from the Jaws of Victory.

It's not Pelosi and the Democrats you should be worried about on that subject, it's Moscow Mitch and the GOP. This is far too optimistic, as though we won already. We haven't, it's a long road ahead of us and we'll lose in the senate at this stage. This might change after the election, but considering how the senate leans more conservative with its makeup don't place any bets on it. Don't get complacent.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not Pelosi and the Democrats you should be worried about on that subject, it's Moscow Mitch and the GOP. This is far too optimistic, as though we won already. We haven't, it's a long road ahead of us and we'll lose in the senate at this stage. This might change after the election, but considering how the senate leans more conservative with its makeup don't place any bets on it. Don't get complacent.
That's why we need more facts first.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
So I just found this article, not sure if it's posted yet.

Since the Impeachment has started the polling in favour for it has significantly increased. According to Jeff flake (A former R Senator) "if it were a secret vote 35 republicans would vote in favour of impeachment". If the polls increase further the republicans may vote in favour (despite not being secret) of it because it's politically expedient

If you remember Nixon's impeachment had low approval to start with but it eventually became a majority in favour, which he then resigned in response to.

I do like how you've already declared victory, and decided that the only way we can possibly lose is if the democrats fuck it up. Instead of the far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far more likely outcome that the republicans simply won't vote for conviction. What do you base your "there's a good chance trump might actually get impeached" on? I'm guessing it starts and ends with "well, he's obviously guilty, so they'll have to vote to convict." Notice too, how you don't even know how the process works, in that the House impeaches, and the Senate convicts. McConnell can't do jack shit to stop impeachment, so I guess, despite everything, your statement is factually correct, in that Mitch can't block anything in the House, and there is a good chance Trump will get impeached.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
You know, an underrated aspect of why this particular story has broken the dam is that it had no prior buildup.

Even fairly moderate independents could look at the Mueller investigation and sort of handwave it as a politically motivated investigation looking back for dirt, even if that dirt was as rich as loam.

But this situation, even as an ongoing series of events, was never even hinted at beyond fitting a general pattern. It's so specific and new that it becomes a tipping point.

Oct 27, 2017
You know, an underrated aspect of why this particular story has broken the dam is that it had no prior buildup.

Even fairly moderate independents could look at the Mueller investigation and sort of handwave it as a politically motivated investigation looking back for dirt, even if that dirt was as rich as loam.

But this situation, even as an ongoing series of events, was never even hinted at beyond fitting a general pattern. It's so specific and new that it becomes a tipping point.

I think it's the 'new' part that kept peoples' attention. We've seen all manner of criminal activity from elected people, but straight up siding with tyrants and extortion caught on tape are new ones.

I also think we can't discount the fact that this is a perfect continuation of the whole Mueller investigation, so people didn't need an entirely new framework to assess whether they believed Trump was capable of this crap.

A lot of people couldn't get over Bush being personable and affable when it came to him ordering torture. It was too much of a departure from the person they though Shrub was. Everyone can believe Trump would be a self-dealing wannabe mobster to our friends and allies.

Edit: This poll just popped up, and I think it crystallizes the point that this is so on-brand for Trump

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017
tl;dr the quarter closing is usually good for ramping up fundraising, but not this week because of imprachment. If you're one of the nobodys outside of the top 5 or Senatorial caucus, it means no one will give even more of a shit about you, and your $ dries up.

The closing days of a fundraising quarter are usually hectic for presidential candidates and their top-level staffers, who are tasked with pulling in every last dime they can find and figuring out what to do with the cash. This week — punctuated by the lightning-fast ramp-up of an official impeachment inquiry into the president — was different. By Tuesday, when House Speaker Nancy Pelosi formally announced the move, it was clear to aides of most of the 18 at-least-semi-serious remaining Democratic campaigns that, with the country's attention squarely on Capitol Hill and the White House, they'd suddenly fallen further off the national radar than ever before. By Thursday, that attention was even more intensely focused, and a handful of campaign operatives began ringing internal alarm bells so loudly that their candidates had no choice but to start reckoning with the painful reality that no one cares about them right now.

Some candidates could raise money off their potential involvement in impeachment, most prominently the House members or the senators who could have a vote on Trump's ultimate fate. (Supporters of Kamala Harris, for one, have been highlighting clips of her past questioning of Attorney General Bill Barr.) But this has, for now, proven an unconvincing pitch for potential supporters, according to people familiar with multiple candidates' digital fundraising numbers.

So far, candidates are largely playing it safe and keeping their heads down — they'll answer questions about impeachment when asked, and issue statements, but no campaign has yet reset its messaging to be all about Trump's corruption or the investigation. Even billionaire Tom Steyer — who rose to national prominence in part by campaigning for Trump's impeachment, and who doesn't need to raise money but could use all the attention he can get — unveiled a new global climate plan on Friday, sticking to his pre-impeachment plan. Montana Governor Steve Bullock unveiled a public lands proposal. But as the week closed, some aides for other campaigns considered last-ditch direction changes at their "we're fucked" meetings. "You basically have two choices: Say outlandish shit about impeachment, or do something so big that people have to pay attention. Hard to do at tier two or below," said one top strategist for a candidate who will, at least, make the next debate stage.

Last edited:

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's the 'new' part that kept peoples' attention. We've seen all manner of criminal activity from elected people, but straight up siding with tyrants and extortion caught on tape are new ones.

I also think we can't discount the fact that this is a perfect continuation of the whole Mueller investigation, so people didn't need an entirely new framework to assess whether they believed Trump was capable of this crap.

A lot of people couldn't get over Bush being personable and affable when it came to him ordering torture. It was too much of a departure from the person they though Shrub was. Everyone can believe Trump would be a self-dealing wannabe mobster to our friends and allies.

Edit: This poll just popped up, and I think it crystallizes the point that this is so on-brand for Trump

Compare it to a couple other cases -

Bill Clinton. He was never at actual threat of being removed from office but the lewinsky scandal forever solidified that he'd be viewed as, at least, a sexual miscreant. It also dominated airwaves. Why? It fit a previous image very well and was a new allegation. True, previous ones existed but he would have weathered those without comment because they were baked in. But a new one, easily distilled solidified an image.

Nixon. He already had the nickname Tricky Dick and had been embroiled in scandals. But those were old news. Again baked in. But watergate was new and easily explained, this solidifying the image.

A framework thus presents itself to help explain how to leverage scandal -

1. A preexisting notion must exist, but by itself cannot be enough.

2. Thus the new scandal must fit that image.

3. And be easily explained or overwhelming.

Let's look at Bush and Katrina. That really is the moment he entered an extended lame duck status. There was a general sense of his incompetence but it could be deflected by being relatively baked in or surrounding elements of policy people were willing to overlook. But Katrina was immediate and overwhelming while fitting into the idea of his incompetence.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
It's nice that they are framing this with the encouragement as the problem since the quid pro quo is immaterial (even though it did happen)

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
🤯

How did you go from that to commie lol

To make a very long story short, I had a change in my religious outlook that undermined the foundations of my social conservatism, which in turn caused me to question what else I was wrong about. Social conservatism ties into economic conservatism (I realized that there's no way to help the poor like Jesus wanted without redistribution). It was fairly quickly apparent to me that one of the major underlying problems of the US was capitalism, which fueled its imperialism, and that the Democrats merely wanted capitalism and imperialism with a human face.

The economic crash sped me along and the Obama administration left me feeling pretty comfortable in my assessment.

Oct 27, 2017
Compare it to a couple other cases -

Bill Clinton. He was never at actual threat of being removed from office but the lewinsky scandal forever solidified that he'd be viewed as, at least, a sexual miscreant. It also dominated airwaves. Why? It fit a previous image very well and was a new allegation. True, previous ones existed but he would have weathered those without comment because they were baked in. But a new one, easily distilled solidified an image.

Nixon. He already had the nickname Tricky Dick and had been embroiled in scandals. But those were old news. Again baked in. But watergate was new and easily explained, this solidifying the image.

A framework thus presents itself to help explain how to leverage scandal -

1. A preexisting notion must exist, but by itself cannot be enough.

2. Thus the new scandal must fit that image.

3. And be easily explained or overwhelming.

Let's look at Bush and Katrina. That really is the moment he entered an extended lame duck status. There was a general sense of his incompetence but it could be deflected by being relatively baked in or surrounding elements of policy people were willing to overlook. But Katrina was immediate and overwhelming while fitting into the idea of his incompetence.

This is what my inadequate baby brain was reaching for, thank you. This is what tipped the scales, imo, in 2016. 30 years of laying the groundwork with a narrative of corruption, and the Republicans stumbling over the server.

This is a good initial model

Status
Not open for further replies.