• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paterique

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I just didnt appreciate how CNN tried to frame the story as this "anti squad" is leading the charge on impeachment when it took this much for them to jump on the impeachment train. Why not just be accurate and frame it as a story on this being the final straw that broke the camels back on this group of moderate leaders and why they view it as different from the others?

They are badasses and their nickname makes perfect sense, but the only reason CNN is using it the way they did is cause fits in their framing of the story as the anti squad. I'm glad these congresswomen saw through that and didnt take their bait to dunk on their fellow congresswomen.
Ya on this I agree 100%

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Pelosi: "if the facts are persuasive to the American people then they may be persuasive to some of the Republicans.""

they won't
I mean, define some. 1 of the House of Reps republicans flipped to support the inquiry. Maybe we'll get 5-6 by the end of this. Not like she can say "oh, it's totally doomed to fail in the Senate and this is all technically for show".

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
It's factually accurate, to a degree, that if you support Bernie over Warren, it's because you're a hostile sexist and racist? Damn.
It is factually accurate that those who support Bernie over Warren are more likely to hold hostile sexist attitudes, yes. They're also less likely to support abortion rights, and several other issues that area lways labeled as "identity politics" . As I said, BIden supporters are the worst offenders, but there is hard data from polling now and polling in 2016 that indicate a correlation. And, also, I didn't say it was the only reason.

"Sexists support Sanders" is different than "Sanders supporters are sexist" tho. I think I saw somewhere that it's only 20-something percent of his supporters that score high on hostile sexism. It seems kind of obvious that sexist voters are going to prefer male candidates; it's only a big problem for the candidates if they're particularly attractive to sexists for reasons that they can help.

I don't think you need to lean very heavily on sexism to explain Sanders' support. There are lots of unflattering reasons why people might prefer him!
I think a lot of folks don't understand bias as it relates to women seeking positions of power. (I don't mean you, I'm talking about a universal body of people.) I don't think all Bernie supporters are sexist anymore than all Biden supporters are racist rubes. Folks internalize a hell of a lot of stuff about gender, and I won't lie if I say I don't side eye the candidates that draw a disproportionate amount of support from folks I'd rather not associate with. (That goes for Biden as well btw). At a certain point though, we consistently see the same offenders attacking the same kinds of people over and over. After a while, a pattern of behavior makes one question why it's always certain kinds of folks they go after.

Also, I think it's important to remember this person does not work for the Warren campaign. Is not a Warren surrogate. Isn't, as far as I know, being booked on these shows on behalf of the campaign. I think it's beyond silly and pathetic that paid staffers are spending time on this. It's this kind of shit that makes people side eye the campaign. It's just dumb getting in the weeds shit that serves no purpose.

We didn't have Warren getting all pissed when Susan was doing her "BUT SHE WAS A REPUBLICAN" thing. Because, Streisand effect, irrelevant idiots, etc. The biggest news story in the world right now is the impeachment of Sander's political opponent...and the campaign is being sloppy on twitter complaining about an MSNBC guest contributor that 99.9999% of people have never heard of, never seen, or give zero shits about. It shows a horrible understanding of how to control/drive a news cycle.

Oct 25, 2017
Pelosi's messaging is fine. I do think that she's aware of how craven the GOP is, but she has to frame impeachment as an attempt to protect the republic, which, you know, it is.

Sports Journalist Mike Pesca on his podcast made the point that the partisans will never be swayed. That they were essentially playing an entirely different game.

But the "true believers" (Cotton was his example) might snap hard against him if they feel like what the President did was beneath their values.

(Personally, I think they're all too chickenshit, but what do I know?)

Pesca's mistake is that, reading between the lines here, he assumes that a GOP "true believer" believes in protecting the sovereignty of the U.S. against foreign actors, no matter what.

But actually, GOP "true believers" believe in using racism and sexism to consolidate and abuse state power against black and brown folks and women. In this light, Cotton loves what Trump is doing and would never vote to remove him, and his Republican constituents would agree with him.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Actually, it's factually accurate, to a degree. There's a direct correlation between having hostile sexist views and support for Biden and Bernie. Biden correlates most closely, followed immediately by Bernie. Same with racist attitudes.

Edit: Oh, so Pelosi didn't say the exact things people want to hear, so we're back on the she's trash train, huh?

Same old song.

I get that, and you're right, there is a higher than average amount of men and maybe even some women with sexist views on Betnie's side, but i do follow a lot of women for Bernie on Twitter who care passionately about his agenda and his campaign and very progressive issues. And it's never good politics to just accuse somebody of sexism because they don't support the female candidate.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
I mean there's two types of sexism working against Warren (and Harris, who also contends with racism) that generally benefits male candidates.

"Electability" is basically the new "likability." Likable enough doesn't really work on Warren... because she has higher net favorables than anyone else in the field. But basically it's underpinned by views that women and people of colour are less electable than white men. "I would vote for a woman, but I don't think my neighbour would."

But with regard to hostile sexism...
In fact, more than one-fourth of Democratic primary voters score higher than the average American adult on the hostile sexism scale.
About a quarter of the primary electorate is higher than average with regard to hostile sexism.

RJQ2MHD3ERFKXBKCH65DCNBJIY.png

Unsurprisingly, these people want a strong white daddy. Preferably straight.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I get that, and you're right, there is a higher than average amount of men and maybe even some women with sexist views on Betnie's side, but i do follow a lot of women for Bernie on Twitter who care passionately about his agenda and his campaign and very progressive issues. And it's never good politics to just accuse somebody of sexism because they don't support the female candidate.
Sure, that's fair. Like, I think part of the problem is Bernie is pretty freaking divisive. The people that like him REALLY like him, and those of us who ... don't, really, really, really fucking don't. You hold a gun to my head and tell me I have to pick between Biden and Bernie, and I'm going to go weep in a corner. There is also a pretty large subset of female voters (my mom, several of my church grandmas who are WOC, etc) who loathe him far more than I do, if you can imagine. So, for me, it's hard to really grasp the reason someone could possibly prefer him to Warren. And I freely admit that. Other folks probably have the same issue, and sexism kinda fits the overall picture pretty well (deserved or undeserved.) But, ya, it's hardly surprising that folks (men and women) who have hostile sexist attitudes want a strong white daddy. Disgusting, but not surprising.

I also think the weekly airing of grievances against everyone who dares slight Bernie is part of the reason he's stagnant in the polls (if I'm being generous), seeing his favorables drop, and is basically getting 0 crossover support.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
There is no excuse for the vile, racist rhetoric that Trump and the rest of his ilk have thrown at "The Squad."

But to pretend that it doesn't take far more political courage for the Trump district Reps to come out in favor of impeachment ignores political reality. AOC will never lose that seat. Most of the rest of the squad will never be within 5 points of losing their seat. A lot of the reps in favor of impeachment won narrow races, where taking a stand on impeachment is incredibly risky.

It's not a trash story.
I'm not trying to downplay the political risk they're taking, but it doesn't seat well with me how quickly the media disregards what they did because of their districts.

Maxine, Omar and Tlaib had to put up with credible death threats and a President who appeared to be encouraging the attacks.

fierygunrob

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2018
Also, I think it's important to remember this person does not work for the Warren campaign. Is not a Warren surrogate. Isn't, as far as I know, being booked on these shows on behalf of the campaign. I think it's beyond silly and pathetic that paid staffers are spending time on this. It's this kind of shit that makes people side eye the campaign. It's just dumb getting in the weeds shit that serves no purpose.
Yeah, this woman is a nobody. The part of that clip that stood out to me is the complete lack of pushback from either of the others.

Warren is 100% my second choice, behind Sanders. If Warren was on the exact same page as Bernie on the issues I think are most important, she'd be my first choice, if only because a lot of people have a weird, intense hate for Bernie.

I don't think it's fair to 100% put him solely in the old white man category, either. If he won, he would be the first Jewish president, and that's not nothing.

Gotchaye

Oct 27, 2017
Who is answering polls going "yeah, I'm the most sexist person around, I'll never vote for Warren because of the cooties"?
They're asking a (probably reduced) set of questions like these: https://secure.understandingprejudice.org/asi/ which give an at least somewhat-standardized measure of benevolent and hostile sexism.

It's a fair objection that some of these are pretty obviously asking "are you a sexist", and so probably some sexists give non-sexist answers, but you're at least catching out some combination of dumb and sexist.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Also, Warren's Comm director is too smart to get into the mud on this. She just retweeted Rebecca Traister in reference to it.

Which, again, is the difference between competent staff and....whatever Bernie has.

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017
The onion, it always has another layer:

https://www.lawfareblog.com/collusion-after-fact

"Shortly after the story broke, I received a message from a person directly involved with the FBI's decision to open a counterintelligence and obstruction investigation of President Trump in the immediate aftermath of the firing of FBI Director James Comey. To say this person, who had clearly learned about the matter for the first time from the Post, was angered by the story would be to understate the matter.

The message read in relevant part: "None of us had any idea. Multiple people had opportunity and patriotic reason to tell us. Instead, silence."
In the wake of the Post's reporting, there has been a great deal of speculation among journalists and commentators as to whether Mueller was aware of this information, and if so, why it didn't make it into the report. "[A]pparently the 'Lavrov memo' never reached Robert Mueller," tweeted New York Times political reporter Trip Gabriel. My colleague Susan Hennessey wondered "whether one motivation for putting things like the Lavrov meeting memo and the Putin call transcripts in the codeword system was to hide them from Mueller."

I don't know for sure that Mueller never learned of this information, but I know his investigation began without it, and I know what is obvious to everyone who has read his report: that it plays no role in his analysis of collusion. This raises a significant question to me about the completeness of the Mueller's collusion analysis.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Let's look at what the pundit actually said:

"Basically, at this point, if you are still supporting Sanders as opposed to Warren, it's kind of showing your sexism".

The above statement is wrong and dangerous, full stop, and no one should be defending it. This is not what sexism is. Sanders and Warren are not the same candidate, and there's more that separates them than gender.

If you want to examine particular comments or groups of folks who are exhibiting sexist behaviors within the supporters for a particular candidate,, that's one thing. Throwing a blanket over all of Sanders supporters as "sexist" should not be condoned in any way.

Nov 20, 2017
A 3rd GOP Governor has voiced support for an impeachment inquiry... and it's probably not someone you predicted.

Lawmakers on Capitol Hill should carefully examine the claims that have been made against President Donald Trump, Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson said Thursday evening.

While members of the state's all-Republican congressional delegation have opposed a broader inquiry, the Republican governor said further scrutiny is warranted.

"The facts have to be developed," Hutchinson said before attending a meeting in Rogers. "The allegations raised should be taken seriously."

"It was an unwise conversation the president has had," Hutchinson said. "It needs to be looked at more. All we've seen is a loose transcript of the conversation. There is not enough in it to say there was a quid pro quo."

"The president should have wide latitude in conversations with global leaders, but we need to probe into that," Hutchinson said, referring to the questions raised about the conversation.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not trying to downplay the political risk they're taking, but it doesn't seat well with me how quickly the media disregards what they did because of their districts.

Maxine, Omar and Tlaib had to put up with credible death threats and a President who appeared to be encouraging the attacks.

This is just a preview of what's to come. You already see it with "never-trumpers". Meanwhile, we still have concentration camps on the border but as long as white moderates get to pat each other on the back because this time we're for real - you know, during the greatest constitutional crisis - existential crisis- of this country. Stellar job standing tough to the basket of deplorables in your districts. Meanwhile in real america, things are utter shit and people are dying and we still have fucking concentration camps.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Sounds like Hutchinson is saying the inquiry has merit. I'll be shocked if he (or any red state GOP governor) goes beyond that to say the President should actually be impeached.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
All it's going to take is a handful of republicans to make others feel more comfortable when more damning shit starts to surface. I think removal is an actual, yet still very low, possibility.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Actually, it's factually accurate, to a degree.
I don't see how "if you are still supporting Sanders as opposed to Warren, you are kind of showing your sexism" could be accurate to any kind of degree. She's not saying that some of Bernie's supporters are sexist, she is saying that if you supporter Bernie over Warren, you are sexist, which is entirely wrong and brainwormed and no one should be defending it.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Its funny how theres people justifying MSNBC lady saying the bernie sexism nonsense

It shouldnt surprise me but i guess that i never learn. For every reasonable Warren supporter there is someone with an irrational Bernie hatred

Last edited:

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie Staffer: MSNBC said something dumb and wrong

Warren staffer: agree, statement was dumb and wrong

What's the issue exactly

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

this made me slightly chuckle

I don't care who the candidate is, shit like this actually really fucking bothers me.

Stop using black spaces for headlines. That crowd is way too fucking white to be at Clinton College. You're rolling in millions at this point, Warren. Have your campaign do some goddamn work to get black people to show up.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
I bet the GOP will use this excuse to try to get SHS to run for governor in 2022 against the Lt. Governor Tim Griffin

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What do we want Warren to do about that exactly?
I don't think anyone should expect them to do anything about it. MSNBC has found a myriad of ways to snipe at Bernie, and this is just the latest example.
If it wasn't some guest speaker taking shots at him, it'd be some other method.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
It shouldnt surprise me but i guess that i never learn. For every reasonable Warren supporter there is someone with an irrational Bernie hatred
The fact you think it's irrational is reason 949 why Bernie won't win, tbh. It's totally possible to loathe Bernie for totally rational reasons. I've aired them multiple times.
What do we want Warren to do about that exactly?
She's supposed to engage in a weekly airing of grievances about everyone who says something bad about her, obviously.
This person has zero to do with Warren's campaign. She's not even a supporter of Warren, so far as I know. She's a random person who shared a a thing she thinks. In the middle of impeachment week, THIS is the hill Bernie staffers wanna die on? Really?

If this woman worked for the campaign, if this woman was booked on the show as a Warren spokeswoman, as a Warren supporter, as literally anything other than some person MSNBC hires...then I'd be the first one telling her she should probably check herself, and the Warren campaign should do something about it. This constant need for the Bernie campaign to make mountains out of molehills is just exhausting. Should the woman have said it? No. Does this person's comments warrant literal campaign staffers trying to make this some massive RIGGED MEDIA narrative for the 9 millionth time? Absolutely fucking not. If MSNBC ticks people off, like CNN and Fox News do for me, just like don't watch it. I'm sure TYT says only nice things about Bernie. (Are they still a thing? I honestly don't know....)

I'd like her to more actively denounce peope trying to shame Sanders voters into voting for her, just like I'd like Bernie to tell his supporters on Twitter that Warren isn't Reagan 2.0.
I have heard zero people, here or elsewhere, who have tried to shame Bernie supporters into supporting Warren. I sure as hell haven't heard anyone actually associated with the campaign attempt to do that. Unlike Nina Turner. Unlike the even more simply Susan. Meanwhile, there have been documented instances of horrific behavior from some subsets of Bernie supports (Small though they undoubtedly are!) who have engaged in behavior that has, out of necessity, warranted a response directly from the campaign. Idiots are gonna idiot, no matter who they support. But I've seen nothing from the Warren, Pete, or, hell, even Biden campaign that would warrant a talking to from the candidate. (The other ones I don't know enough to comment on, but I surely haven't seen it.)

Also, I'll praise Bernie here. The other day he had a good exchange when someone tried to get him to say why he was better than Warren. He didn't bite at that. It was a dumb question, and he handled it very, very well. Now, explain that to your surrogates and staff who, DO have an insanely online presence and who are directly and indirectly responsible for some of the more egregious behavior some (again, some, a small number, not a majority) of his supporters engage in online.

Last edited:

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Lol Warren isn't going to acknowledge any of this nonsense because like most people she doesn't give a shit about a random pundit saying something stupid.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I also ended up on that stupid fake MSNBC Twitter thing by accident when reading through the tweets. And now I'm just disgusted by the attempts at humor. Jokes are supposed to be funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.