• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
If we impeach and republicans don't convict, we can point to republicans as the broken part of the government. If we don't impeach someone that should be impeached, we're the broken part of the government.

This is the key part - if the Dems do literally everything in their power and constitutional right and the House impeachs Trump (since we all agree he deserves it based on what he's done), if the impeachment fails in the Senate then the Dems get to say "we did everything we could, this is ALL on the GOP now". That's a powerful message!

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
It's... Really not.

McConnell sat on a Supreme Court seat for a year. Which frankly, was more consequential than whether Trump serves out his term.

It's not as if anyone isn't already aware of the Senate GOP members towing the Trump line.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if the GOP had actually done political calculus in '98, they wouldn't have beaten the impeachment drum that year. They lost seats because of it and only won the next presidential election because of a 5-4 bullshit SCOTUS decision. So perhaps not the ideal example.

Bush won. GOP kept the House and the Senate. It worked.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Like, as far as I can tell no one is even making the only tangible argument I currently see for a floor vote authorising impeachment inquiries, in that it may strengthen the legal case to gain access to redacted Grand Jury material.
How is this a tangible argument considering the current behavior of the Democratic Party?

The idea that gaining access to redacted Grand Jury material would somehow prompt bold action from Democratic Leadership ignores the fact that Donald Trump just likely asked another foreign power to investigate his political opponent, and Nancy still wouldn't budge on impeachment.

I think, at this point, one of the most frustrating defenses of Democratic inaction is the idea that we just need this "one last thing" in order to move. And it's like...do you not see that mountain of known evidence right over there?

We have everything and then some, and then some, and then some.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
"Well just defeat him at the next election" is the only realistic way he's leaving office but considering he's made it clear he's going to cheat in the next election and is trying to do so right now, I think it behooves us to make the strongest statement possible that doing so is not ok.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Bush won. GOP kept the House and the Senate. It worked.
Bush won on a technicality. The Senate was tied and the House was near tied.

They won, but you can't really make the argument they won because they impeached Clinton or that it helped them. If anything, they won in spite of the impeachment and probably could've won larger if they hadn't impeached a popular president.

...Which is why '98 is probably not the best example to invoke. It's not directly comparable to now and provides no guidance beyond "don't impeach a popular president," which we knew wasn't a problem anyway because Trump has never been popular. We've always focused on other aspects of impeaching Trump.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
How is this a tangible argument considering the current behavior of the Democratic Party?

The idea that gaining access to redacted Grand Jury material would somehow prompt bold action from Democratic Leadership ignores the fact that Donald Trump just likely asked another foreign power to investigate his political opponent, and Nancy still wouldn't budge on impeachment.

I think, at this point, one of the most frustrating defenses of Democratic inaction is the idea that we just need this "one last thing" in order to move. And it's like...do you not see that mountain of known evidence right over there?

We have everything and then some, and then some, and then some.
Failure to access Grand Jury materials weakens the potential to damage Trump in public hearings.

You seem to actually want a vote on articles of impeachment though. As opposed to just an investigation.

Which I think is a terrible idea.

It probably wouldn't pass the House.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Bush didn't win on a technicality. What the fuck. Bush stole an election because the GOP is actually willing to exert its power at every single level and branch of government. Good night y'all.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Bush didn't win on a technicality. What the fuck. Bush stole an election because the GOP is actually willing to exert its power at every single level and branch of government. Good night y'all.
"Technicality" being a 5-4 bullshit SCOTUS decision, as I described above. He lost the popular vote and very likely lost FL if all the votes had been counted. He didn't win because the GOP had impeached Clinton. You're the one who drew a false connection between the two!

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
A "strong statement" is worth less than the paper it's printed on. But to circle back to something: the idea that we can somehow score political points by pointing to the Senate and saying "See, the GOP protected Trump!" ignores the fact that the GOP gets to crow "See? We voted him INNOCENT. Like in a trial, it's over and done.." You cannot tout the importance of the former without acknowledging the political downside of the latter. The impeachment asterisk by his name is irrelevant.

Impeachment, at this point, is nothing more than seeking catharsis. It's a manifestation of the impotent rage a lot of folks feel at living in this hellscape. Trump leaves office by being voted out. That's it. That's the ballgame. Impeachment doesn't even have enough votes in the House at the moment. It's underwater with the people we actually need to win in 2020.

And, again, checks and balances do not solely begin and end with impeachment. Again, I have to point back to BENGHAZI! The GOP is just better at this shit than the left is.

Oh, and also, I don't understand how people can simultaneously whine and moan about how bad the Dems are at messaging, how BAD the media is....but then pretend that impeachment is going to magically work out for us with rainbows and unicorns and, and the skies will part, and angels will sing on high and the public will just all do the right thing! (Ten points if you know what I'm referring to here...:P)

And finally, all the "But if we don't do it TRUMP WILL TRY TO CHEAT!" Ya. He's going to try to cheat even if we do it...because nothing will materially change by impeaching him. His powers don't go POOF when we say the word impeachment and spin around three times. He can still do the same things pre-impeachment that he'll do post-impeachment.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I want it all, Boo-boo kitty. But, I'm also of the mindset that if we got the latter (a big and loud investigation), not even red state Dems would vote against the former.
I really don't see where this confidence is coming from on the latter point... Or if you would even want that given the political implications.

The idea that there will be no political ramifications of voting to impeach a GOP President in red state territory seems entirely fanciful.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
look, I want impeachment because I think it's a more effective messaging bill than any of the party's current messaging bills, but i'm not seeing how impeachment hurts his ability to cheat
If we don't impeach him now, we won't have a case to when he cheats and wins again.

You can't say "oh this time we just couldn't move the dial" and then turn around and "ok now we good".

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I'm saying is, you make this gamble and lose and all bets are off.

The constitution won't be worth jack and I'll be backing the next democratic demagogue because why not?

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I mean "impeachment didn't work in 1998" is not only debatable but also Clinton didn't do a fraction of the shit Trump has done. GOP got in over their skies and the majority of America knew it. In this case, the majority of the country isn't going to think Trump is getting a raw deal if you actually lay out what he's doing and forcible condemn (with competent messaging). He'll still have 40% or some of the country on his side but not the 60-70% Clinton had on his side when he was impeached.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
If we impeach him for election cheating it at least gives us a better argument to contest the election results than doing nothing and pretending like American elections are sacred and immutable

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like Dems being able to say "We tried." is good politics. Just looking at the temperature of the conversation at this point in time, not yet even within a year from the election, added with the fact that Trump is pretty much guaranteed to commit some more impeachable offenses along the way; I get the sense that Dems stand to lose more politically through inaction than action.

Gotchaye

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how this argument works at all. It seems backwards, in fact. Nothing is being preserved. We cannot preserve the responsibility/power of the senate we do not hold. We can only preserve the responsibility/power of the house. By not forcing republicans to follow through and actually do what they're threatening to do, we're just giving them a free pass -- if anything, not impeaching is just helping them remove impeachment as a remedy and further erode our norms and the integrity of the government.

And unfortunately, it's a pattern -- where republicans unabashedly break norms and wreck the integrity of our democracy and democrats respond by trying not to rock the boat.
I think you've got to flesh out what it means to "preserve" the "power" of impeachment, then, because we might be thinking about them differently. It seems to me that if you care about the fact of there being this idea that Congress can check a president through the impeachment power, the last thing you want is a really definitive vote that says: no, as long as a president maintains a really low bar of support in the Senate he is completely untouchable. Right? Like, what you want is for impeachment to be seen as completely toothless and something that presidents shouldn't be scared of at all. The best outcome, from a norms-preserving perspective, would seem to be that you fail to have that definitive result for reasons that are at least facially unrelated to it being toothless. Even if bumbling incompetence is the reason that impeachment doesn't happen, that would seem to do a better job of preserving the idea that impeachment can be a check on a president than a definitive showing that impeachment is meaningless.

This is a pretty common way for these things to work. People will avoid bringing Supreme Court cases when they're sure they'll lose, because they want to preserve the idea that the case could go either way for a future Court that might actually decide their way. They don't press the case and then lose, setting the precedent that they're on the wrong side of the law.

This strikes me as being quite different from other examples of Republican norm-breaking and Democratic complacence. Like, I am mostly in favor of packing the courts next chance we get. Because that's a way to actually do something. This is purely symbolic, and all we're proving by going through with it is that the impeachment power is meaningless.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And if we impeach him tomorrow....he can still cheat! This "he'll cheat if we don't impeach" thing makes zero sense. So we impeach him today. He cheats again and wins in 2020. We don't get to impeach again!
But we basically give approval by not doing anything about it.

Inaction is no different from enabling.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Oh, and also, I don't understand how people can simultaneously whine and moan about how bad the Dems are at messaging, how BAD the media is....but then pretend that impeachment is going to magically work out for us with rainbows and unicorns and, and the skies will part, and angels will sing on high and the public will just all do the right thing! (Ten points if you know what I'm referring to here...:P)

This isn't lost on anyone. This is why some of us are losing faith in our leaders.

Because you're right, in the hands of the Republican messaging machine, a Democratic President with even 1/5 these scandals would be completely manhandled. It wouldn't even be a contest. Even the most charismatic Democrat would be completely bodied. It's time to stop looking at that as some innate ability of Republicans and acknowledging it as a failure of the Democratic party for openly refusing to connect to and effectively communicate to their base.

EDIT: Also, expecting Democrats to do their job as outlined by our Constitution is not "the manifestation impotent rage." My god. To believe that, to believe that seeking justice is that fruitless and Pelosi's hands are that tied is to believe that Pelosi is no less craven and ineffective than Paul Ryan.

Last edited:

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The constitution is not worth Jack shit right now.All this pearl clutching at this point is frankly disgusting.

Richard Nixon would never have been impeached if we left it to ERA. The Numbers stated until practically the bitter end that Nixon should not be touched.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't lost on anyone. This is why some of us our losing faith in our leaders.

Because you're right, in the hands of the Republican messaging machine, a Democratic President with even 1/5 these scandals would be completely manhandled. It wouldn't even be a contest. Even the most charismatic Democrat would be completely bodied. It's time to stop looking at that as some innate ability of Republicans and acknowledging it as a failure of the Democratic party for openly refusing to connect to and effectively communicate to their base.

Ding ding ding.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I feel like those hesitant about impeachment are not reading the temperature of the room right now. And what it means if that fire gets stomped out.

I don't want to see another unmotivated group of voters in 2020. Voters with absolutely no faith anything will change.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
This debate hinges on the fact that impeachment is a two step process with the final step relying on republicans in the senate to do the right thing. You know what house democrats can do without needing senate republicans to do the right thing?

Hold trump admin officials in contempt and throw them in jail. This power has been upheld by the supreme court over and over again. In 2007, "The Congressional Research Service issued a report in July that confirmed Congress's inherent contempt powers. It explained how they work: "The individual is brought before the House or Senate by the sergeant at arms, tried at the bar of the body, and can be imprisoned in the Capitol jail.""

In 1821, the supreme court reasoned that without this power, congress would "be exposed to every indignity and interruption, that rudeness, caprice, or even conspiracy, may mediate against it." -- what foresight!

There's been some talk -- Nadler said back in April: "Someone is in contempt of Congress, you send the Sergeant at Arms and you arrest them. Alternatively you fine him $20,000 a day, whatever. We could do this." Since then, multiple witnesses have either refused to show up or refused to answer questions. There's rumors they're considering contempt for Lewandowski. No mention of fines or jail, though -- could just be the toothless kind of contempt they've used before against Barr (which relies on Trump's DoJ to prosecute, unlike congress' inherent contempt powers). But why let Trump dictate who has to comply with a house subpoena?

Why haven't house democrats revived their inherent contempt powers? It's certainly not because of senate republicans.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But morals don't matter.
giphy.gif

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
But we basically give approval by not doing anything about it.

Inaction is no different from enabling.
Again, we passed a bill to protect our elections. It was the first bill the house passed. No, it's not getting approved by the Senate...but neither will impeachment. We have tried to secure our elections. Moscow Mitch refuses to cooperate. It's also REAL hard to sell "We're impeaching him so he can't cheat." That's just a terrible message and a real stinker of a plan.
This isn't lost on anyone. This is why some of us our losing faith in our leaders.

See, here's the thing. I agree that it's easier for the GOP to sell their shit...because their voters are fucking morons. lol. Like, they're just not bright. They are spoon fed shit and they eat it up. Democrats are like herding cats. We have morals and principles so it's harder for us to take the blind trust we'll always support our guy/gal stance. So, my issue becomes you're (universal not coming for you specifically here) calling for us to run an impeachment that doesn't have the votes in the House, doesn't have public support, won't have media messaging support, doesn't have leadership support....and then just magically hoping that it'll turn out okay. I don't buy that. I don't trust the media to report this fairly, accurately or without bias.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
"Doing things that make your political base happy" is usually good politics FWIW. Like obv it can be a double-edged sword but we aren't talking about minor shit. Like we do all agree Trump has done things that are worthy of impeachment right? Like even if it was a Dem president and they were doing this sort of shit we'd have to admit it would be impeachable offenses right?

There might be less of a sense of hopelessness if like the Dems were playing hardball on the budget or going apeshit trying to get his taxes or whatever. But to the layman, it doesn't look like the Dems in the house are doing much at all to hold Trump accountable.

Gotchaye

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like those hesitant about impeachment are not reading the temperature of the room right now. And what it means if that fire gets stomped out.

I don't want to see another unmotivated group of voters in 2020.
Yeah, to be clear, I've been arguing that the impeachment argument is purely an argument about political tactics, but I'm not arguing that we should not impeach. There are reasons for and against, it's just that they're all to do with political strategy rather than Constitutional duty or whatever. I would say that political forecasting is sufficiently hard that no one should be very confident about what the effect of impeachment will be, and further I doubt that it will have a big impact either way. So as far as I'm concerned the House can go for it. Or not. I think that whether there is eventually an impeachment depends on Democrats in conservative districts being scared of primary challenges, and Pelosi isn't going to budge unless she's got the votes in the House.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
EDIT: Also, expecting Democrats to do their job as outlined by our Constitution is not "the manifestation impotent rage." My god. To believe that, to believe that seeking justice is that fruitless and Pelosi's hands are that tied is to believe that Pelosi is no less craven and ineffective than Paul Ryan.
It actually is for a lot of folks. Like, I'm sorry but I feel that folks feel so powerless that they just need something big and tangible to hold onto, and impeachment is the thing of the day. (Before this it was the Mueller report.) Like I've said before, Trump absolutely deserves to be impeached. But, like Gandalf told us, sometimes people don't get what they deserve. The moral imperative to impeach in this situation absolutely must be weighed against the potential political costs. I can't fault someone for doing the math differently than I do, but I certainly think there is ambiguity on how advantageous it would be. Also, AOC's assertion that Congress is basically as bad as Trump for not impeaching is horrible, and a clear example of what I mean. As is the constant complaining about Pelosi.
And I feel that a lot of folks who are chanting impeach impeach impeach are not reading the temperature of anyone who isn't incredibly online. Like...I hate that defense because it sounds like a cop-out, but it's really not. There is no majority in the country for impeachment. It's pretty toxic with independents. It's popular with partisans, of course, but that's neither here nor there. Your average John Q Public doesn't give two shits if we impeach Trump or not. Maybe they should, but they don't. So, the idea that "if we don't impeach everyone will stay home because they'll be super sad you guys" doesn't work on me.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
The constitution is not worth Jack shit right now.All this pearl clutching at this point is frankly disgusting.

Richard Nixon would never have been impeached if we left it to ERA. The Numbers stated until practically the bitter end that Nixon should not be touched.
Find 177 Republican House members to vote yes on an impeachment inquiry in 2019.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
"Doing things that make your political base happy" is usually good politics FWIW. Like obv it can be a double-edged sword but we aren't talking about minor shit. Like we do all agree Trump has done things that are worthy of impeachment right? Like even if it was a Dem president and they were doing this sort of shit we'd have to admit it would be impeachable offenses right?

There might be less of a sense of hopelessness if like the Dems were playing hardball on the budget or going apeshit trying to get his taxes or whatever. But to the layman, it doesn't look like the Dems in the house are doing much at all to hold Trump accountable.
Twitter is not the Democratic base?

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
And I feel that a lot of folks who are chanting impeach impeach impeach are not reading the temperature of anyone who isn't incredibly online. Like...I hate that defense because it sounds like a cop-out, but it's really not. There is no majority in the country for impeachment. It's pretty toxic with independents. It's popular with partisans, of course, but that's neither here nor there. Your average John Q Public doesn't give two shits if we impeach Trump or not. Maybe they should, but they don't. So, the idea that "if we don't impeach everyone will stay home because they'll be super sad you guys" doesn't work on me.

In my (limited) experience with voters, they would rather have someone try to do something and fail, than never attempt to do something at all. People appreciate someone putting up a good fight.

Right now the narrative is that Pelosi isn't doing anything. It can be changed to how the House did everything they can, and that the problem is the Senate.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Polling consistently shows 70%+ of Democrats want an impeachment vote. This isn't Twitter. The Democratic base wants an impeachment vote.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
"Democrats aren't competent enough to campaign off of the blatant corruption of Trump and the republican party" is a take I guess.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
As is the constant complaining about Pelosi.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with most of what you're saying. However, Pelosi needs to go.

That's not impotent rage. That is my observation of a leader who instigated what almost became a party-wide Twitter beef because she couldn't help but blab about members of her own caucus to Maureen Dowd over tea and chocolates. She was directly responsible for one of the lowest moments for this party.

Pelosi is a treasured California Dem. But she's been on my side-eye list since she had the nerve to come for Queen Maxine (who, damn, just looks more prophetic by the day). Her latest actions, culminated by this week, are the sign of a leader who is no longer effective. Again, win or lose in 2020, I would wholeheartedly support any effort to see her out. Which is sad for me, coming for a person who actually supported and argued for her return to the speakership.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
In my (limited) experience with voters, they would rather have someone try to do something and fail, than never attempt to do something at all. People appreciate someone putting up a good fight.

Right now the narrative is that Pelosi isn't doing anything. It can be changed to how the House did everything they can, and that the problem is the Senate.
Polling consistently shows 70%+ of Democrats want an impeachment vote. This isn't Twitter. The Democratic base wants an impeachment vote.

Strongly agree with these. Dems upset about the situation aren't just Twitter people and right now the messaging/posture of the House Dems looks/feels like they aren't doing anything. Again, they aren't even playing hardball on budget bills, Neal is dragging his feet on taxes, etc. If the House had something(s) major to point to even if impeachment wasn't happening that would help. But they don't really have that right now.

ironichaos

Oct 31, 2017
How do we take away his Twitter? Honestly, our best chance of changing the discourse, is by removing his primary messaging platform. Impeachment, preventing re-election, etc. Deplatforming is our answer.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Strongly agree with these. Dems upset about the situation aren't just Twitter people and right now the messaging/posture of the House Dems looks/feels like they aren't doing anything. Again, they aren't even playing hardball on budget bills, Neal is dragging his feet on taxes, etc. If the House had something(s) major to point to even if impeachment wasn't happening that would help. But they don't really have that right now.
I mean if a question is framed:
"Do you think President Trump should be impeached and compelled to leave the Presidency, or not?"
Then adam and Gotchaye would probably respond yes too.

It's like Democrats support Medicare for All... But...

And with regards to vs the Twitterverse it's more the comparison of people being up in arms about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.