• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
I have a question: Why primary him?

Markey is one of the most committed congresspeople in the fight against climate change. Of all people, why try to take him out?

Unless we want our descendants to live in a Mad Max-esque wasteland, we need people like Markey to try and push climate legislation in all possible fronts

Because he can and wants the job. It's up to everyone else who votes to decide if Markey should stay.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand how or why he thought all it would take is just him showing up and all his support would come rushing back to him. You have to work for it, and so far to me, it's clear that he's going to get surpassed.
Because the electoral theories of Bernie and his campaign strategists who refused to vote for Hillary Clinton in 2016 are, to no one's surprise, completely worthless and totally divorced from reality. Just as they were in 2016 when he refused to go campaign directly to black voters.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I still don't understand how or why he thought all it would take is just him showing up and all his support would come rushing back to him. You have to work for it, and so far to me, it's clear that he's going to get surpassed.
Because he's a straight white man. A vast majority of them honestly think they're entitled to what they want just by showing up. See also Biden.

He's done zero to fix his 2016 problems, he's done zero to try to keep his 2016 coalition, he's done zero to make any actual movement which is why he's still stagnant in the polls. Maybe if he yells more often or gets grumpier.....but I just think men are too emotional to be President. The President needs to have a calm hand, and she really can't be yelling all the time.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

Well, if that's the case, then Pelosi needs to do as my grandmother says and realize that there's power in "shutting the hell up."

If you're not going to be a help, don't be a hindrance.

Let those guided by their moral clarity and not their feckless cowardice lead.

The ship has sailed with her.

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
What reaction should people have had? Let republicans control it instead?
Perhaps? A large chunk of the electorate isn't reliable (especially when it comes to mid-terms). A lot of them, understandably, got motivated in 2018 by the thought of having branch of government that will furiously hold Trump accountable. A branch that will operate independently and persistently to fight against the corruption and all the other bs. Yes having the House to effectively end Trumps legislative agenda is fucking great, but i don't think that's how we got the blue wave.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
According to the Civiqs polls, Bernie is winning 1% of Clinton 2016 caucus supporters

unknown.png
Anyone could have guessed that just by reading this thread.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
There would have still been a blue wave.

There would have been a more prolonged fight for the Speakership, with many of the younger progressive wing being much more reluctant to get behind her, if it were suspected that Nancy would be this pathetic.

beavis

Banned
Sep 19, 2019
This is... worrying. ☹

Elizabeth Warren has said that she will nominate a public school teacher to be her secretary of education. But she chose former Teach for America corps member Joshua Delaney to head her education policy. Delaney only completed one year in the classroom before switching to "education reform" endeavors. We know that in the reform arena, TFA supports charter schools, merit pay, and weakening teachers' unions.
Source: https://www.jacobinmag.com/2019/09/...chers-unions-education-thurgood-marshall-plan

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I just read the URL.

I still hope she'd pick someone with more actual classroom experience.

And LOL at 4 posts.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point Nancy Pelosi is nothing more then an Accomplice to Trump. Every time she opens her mouth she undermines Congress and those that are seeking to hold the President Accountable. She would rather have a fundraiser boogie man then even come close to doing the right thing. She deliberately conflates starting the Impeachment process with the end vote. All she continues to do is give trump attorneys and the DOJ ammunition to use in the various court cases to oppose information subpoenas etc.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
We specifically did not run on impeachment. I don't know why folks go back to "that's what the public expects." In fact, on election day, only 39% of people thought we should impeach. Hell, only 38% of voters said their vote was to oppose Trump. What people wanted was for us to protect their healthcare. They wanted a check on the GOP agenda. And, yes, as a check on Trump...which can be achieved without impeachment.

So, again, I am not taking a definitive stand on arguing for or against impeachment in this post. I have my own thoughts on it, but it's irrelevant to the point that the public did not elect us to go and impeach Trump day one. That's fanfiction.

beavis

Banned
Sep 19, 2019
Something wrong with Jacobin? Stuff I read from there is generally well-reasoned, if biased towards Sanders. But any outlet will have bias.

And postcount discrimination is pretty pathetic. Been lurking for awhile.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Jacobin is about as bias free as Red State. Just because one likes what they're saying doesn't mean they're not partisan as all hell.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
We specifically did not run on impeachment. I don't know why folks go back to "that's what the public expects." In fact, on election day, only 39% of people thought we should impeach. Hell, only 38% of voters said their vote was to oppose Trump. What people wanted was for us to protect their healthcare. They wanted a check on the GOP agenda. And, yes, as a check on Trump...which can be achieved without impeachment.

So, again, I am not taking a definitive stand on arguing for or against impeachment in this post. I have my own thoughts on it, but it's irrelevant to the point that the public did not elect us to go and impeach Trump day one. That's fanfiction.

This defense of Pelosi is only more damning though.

You're right, Democrats did not run specifically on impeachment. They did, however, run on holding Trump accountable. Outside of the kitchen table issues that polled well, the OTHER thing that polled well was voting in Democrats to serve as a check on the President.

Impeachment is absolutely a part of that package.

The only backhanded conceit I can offer Pelosi here is that maybe she didn't factor into her calculus that Trump would so brazenly escalate his lawless behavior; that exercising the fullest extent of Congressional power would serve to be the only way to hold him accountable.

But even then it's like...homegirl, were you not paying attention to the last 3 years?

If nothing else, Trump serves as blatant proof of the absurd lengths those in our system will go to I'm order to afford even the most corrupt white man the benefit of the doubt.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
This defense of Pelosi is only more damning though.

You're right, Democrats did not run specifically on impeachment. They did, however, run on holding Trump accountable. Outside of the kitchen table issues that polled well, the OTHER thing that polled well was voting in Democrats to serve as a check on the President.

Impeachment is absolutely a part of that package.

The only backhanded conceit I can offer Pelosi here is that maybe she didn't factor into her calculus that Trump would so brazenly escalate his lawless behavior that exercising the fullest extent of Congressional power would serve to be the only way to hold him accountable.

But even then it's like...homegirl, were you not paying attention to the last 3 years?

If nothing else, Trump serves as blatant proof of the absurd lengths those in our system will go to I'm order to afford even the most corrupt white man the benefit of the doubt.
I wanna be clear, I am not defending Pelosi (or not meaning to specifically here.) Her reliance on saying there needs to be some GOP on board is asinine, and I disagree strongly with that. I agree, impeachment can be part of checking the powers of the President, and Trump is WHOLLY deserving of being impeached and removed from office immediately. You'll get no arguments from me at all.

Where I have issue is with the idea that somehow by not impeaching we are really going to piss off the voters that helped us win in 2018. I just don't buy that. I do believe the political calculus for impeachment is pretty complex. I also view it as purely political because it has zero possibility of removing him from office. I'll be the first one to admit I could be totally wrong, but outside the online space, I really don't get a sense of your John Q. Public foaming at the mouth that we haven't impeached.

She doesn't currently have the votes in the caucus. It's going to die in the Senate (or not die since they'd have to take it up.) We're getting ready to enter the campaign season...there's a whole bunch of red flags that to me say ehhhhh maybe? The impeachment inquiries are totally good, and I think we should do that. If we can get confirmation of what this whistle blower thing is about, and it is what we think it is, that would also sway me harder towards the need to impeach immediately. But I do understand her hesitancy to a degree.

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
Doesn't the fact that healthcare was by far the most important issue according to exit polls imply that this is exactly why we got the blue wave?
Healthcare is definitely why we won the house, there is no denying that. It is also why I (and probably most people watching the race closely) wasn't afraid of not retaking it, going into election night. I feel like we had the perfect storm going the midterms (the senate is a another story). We had a very unpopular criminal president. I loved our messaging, I loved our candidates and I loved the implications of getting power back.

Whether or not we would've won by the same margin, knowing this future? I'm not going to pretend to know. (I'm going to assume you and Royalan are more right)

Maybe this reality where Nancy waits for the GOP to make a move first, even while holding the gavel, was inevitable. I didn't expect fire and blood when we retook the house. When Tlaib said "We're gonna impeach the motherfuck.", I was able to read the asterisk at the bottom of the page. I just know that I had moderate/low expectations for the house on the "check on the corrupt president" front and am still disappointed in that statement.

tl;dr - I guess i don't like Nancy as Speaker too much

Last edited:

Gotchaye

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard a few times that formal impeachment proceedings would help with forcing information out of the administration, but what's the basis for this? Has the judiciary committee not been able to get a subpoena for something?

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Nancy Pelosi: "Why would I try to impeach? I'm rich! Trump's helping me out at the end of the day."

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard a few times that formal impeachment proceedings would help with forcing information out of the administration, but what's the basis for this? Has the judiciary committee not been able to get a subpoena for something?
Every Single subpoena is tied up in court waiting for Judges to rule on them. The DOJ and Trumps lawyers have gone so far as using Pelosi's own words that there is no impeachment action etc. to fight the subpoenas. Formal Proceedings does give congress more justifiable reach and technically we do have formal proceedings now thanks to the Judiciary Committee but they continue to use the House Speakers words that nothing is happening to fight back.

In the end silence from pelosi would be more helpful than her current act of sabotage everytime she speaks.

Gotchaye

Oct 27, 2017
Every Single subpoena is tied up in court waiting for Judges to rule on them. The DOJ and Trumps lawyers have gone so far as using Pelosis own words that there is no impeachment action etc. to fight the subpoenas. Formal Proceedings does give congress more justifiable reach and technically we do have formal proceedings now thanks to the Judiciary Committee but they continue to use the House Speakers words that nothing is happening to fight back.
Okay, so the worry here is that eventually a subpoena might get denied because of the lack of a vote on the House floor to open proceedings. I feel like at that point you'd have a much easier time getting more Democrats on board, since there's an easy "this is a purely procedural thing that we have to do in order to actually investigate X, Y, and Z" justification.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Joe seems really sharp when he was shredding Trump in that reporter scrum, to be fair. I think this stunt by Trump will help BIden in the primaries because it'll probably have a lot of Dems who normally shit on him scrambling to defend him because of the potentially damaging news on Trump's continued collusion attempts.

Yeah, I mean, I would hope so, but some people have problems with defending someone they dislike from deceitful attacks though. It's either "I LRRRVES HIM!" or "I HATESES HIM!" with little nuance in between.

And you know he's going to commit nuclear-grade fuckery of this level against Warren/Sanders/Harris/whoever too. Multiple times.

Godawful messaging. Just horrid.

Putting the onus in the craven GOP to be the deciding factor is ridiculous phrasing; that's the same stunt Individual-1 uses to break outrage at him. Repackage the fight over himself admitting to the act and relenting WHICH WONT HAPPEN.

This is her life until we get a defacto nominee next year: the 5-star general in command of the entire army against this fucker, his henchmen, his fellow low travelers, and his masters. In an Information War, I might add, in which bad messaging shells your own troops and a wonderful gift of the POTUS goddamn extorting an ally for sham dirt on a colleague.

Isn't there already a Republican vote for impeachment? The Michigan guy who became Independent?

Not after the ritual banishment, no.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure that's not why, even though her reluctance is completely infuriating....

I'm being facetious but it might as well be the reason. Listen, I know that going down the impeachment path isn't actually going to get Trump removed from office, but I fucking want the GOP to be tied to lawlessness officially.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Could white liberals ruin this for Warren with their Icarian articles?

via: WaPo

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could white liberals ruin this for Warren with their Icarian articles?

via: WaPo

There's actually an interesting article there about "Selfies" being a campaign tactic dating back that far (just like Warren's copying FDR's ALL THE PLANS approach) as long as you don't take it to the galaxy brain level that this writer does.

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
Is this what my Saturdays are? Sitting in bed, glued to my screens, anxiously awaiting a poll for a political contest that doesn't even take place for nearly five months?

I am not ashamed

Status
Not open for further replies.