• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
That is a measured response, and what the leadership should be saying up until we actually know what's in the complaint.
he is stepping into a dangerous minefield with serious repercussions

This says absolutely nothing. She doesn't list any tangible repercussions. Her mild threat is completely undermined by her concern trolling the repercussions of this admin on our democracy.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
Again....we have 0 of the actual details of this. Congress has not been officially briefed on what is happening. It's not the dumbest idea to, you know, want the actual facts before you start screaming about impeaching the mutha-fucker. (For this specific thing.)
There's enough out already.

But the Mueller report didn't move the needle that much so why will this be any different?

Can Congress request transcripts/recordings from Ukraine?
Why would Ukraine do that?

Absent

Oct 26, 2017

Worse than Watergate

Trump used the July 25 conversation with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to pressure the recently elected leader to more aggressively pursue an investigation that Trump believed would deliver potential political dirt against one of the president's political adversaries, the people said.
One source familiar with the contents of the exchange said that Trump did not raise the issue of American military and intelligence aid that had been pledged to Ukraine, indicating there was not an explicit quid pro quo in that call.
Sheesh.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
If she wants impeachment to happen, she can make it happen. She's good at whipping votes. It's pretty clear she has no interest at this point.
Pelosi is very good at whipping voters and bringing together the House Dem caucus, perhaps better than any other House Dem leader in modern history. But she's also never whipped votes for impeachment before (and should be noted did not whip for impeachment against Bush), which I have to imagine is substantially different from whipping votes for legislation, especially when you're talking about these purple Problem Solvers Caucus moderates. The "if she wanted it to happen she could just make it happen" is not necessarily true!

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
Pelosi is very good at whipping voters and bringing together the House Dem caucus, perhaps better than any other House Dem leader in modern history. But she's also never whipped votes for impeachment before (and should be noted did not whip for impeachment against Bush), which I have to imagine is substantially different from whipping votes for legislation, especially when you're talking about these purple Problem Solvers Caucus moderates. The "if she wanted it to happen she could just make it happen" is not necessarily true!
True but she could stop shielding them like she has

Oct 30, 2017
Why would Ukraine do that?

Well, they don't really have any reason not to. If Trump's narrative is accurate, then there shouldn't be any problem. Admittedly, Congress requesting it would put them in a bad position and they'd probably just decline to participate. Surely they have ways of at least getting transcripts though. Or would those be locked away under presidential privilege?

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
It's so embarrassing how many people (myself included) defended Pelosi when they first took back the House and she has been more than useless since then. I'm seriously so tired of Democratic leadership's strategy of just appeasing Republicans no matter what. Historically unpopular Republican president? We don't want to rock the boat, we might throw the election that's already in the bag! Popular president? He's popular, we can't make too much fuss and tank our chances even more! Everyone knows what the reality is with the Senate and what little power Democrats actually have, but the messaging is horrible. When do you ever see Pelosi or Schumer trying to energize liberals or push the dialogue to the left? It's always "now now let's not be hasty" and pushing back against policies that poll well nationally because they're afraid it might offend some middle aged white guy in Michigan. It's pathetic, and the only reason they are able to keep acting this way is because they know that the people who feel this way have absolutely no choice but to vote straight D every time and hope things change someday. This country sucks.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's so embarrassing how many people (myself included) defended Pelosi when they first took back the House and she has been more than useless since then. I'm seriously so tired of Democratic leadership's strategy of just appeasing Republicans no matter what. Historically unpopular Republican president? We don't want to rock the boat, we might throw the election that's already in the bag! Popular president? He's popular, we can't make too much fuss and tank our chances even more! Everyone knows what the reality is with the Senate and what little power Democrats actually have, but the messaging is horrible. When do you ever see Pelosi or Schumer trying to energize liberals or push the dialogue to the left? It's always "now now let's not be hasty" and pushing back against policies that poll well nationally because they're afraid it might offend some middle aged white guy in Michigan. It's pathetic, and the only reason they are able to keep acting this way is because they know that the people who feel this way have absolutely no choice but to vote straight D every time and hope things change someday. This country sucks.
This problem goes far beyond Pelosi and you need to kill the Senate/EC to fix it.

Mulberry

Oct 28, 2017
I'll give Pelosi a day or maybe a weekend to figure it out. If someone can't get it through her thick skull by then, we are in real dire straights.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

It's not that she's not "making it happen." It's not that she's not even trying (though she's not). It's that she's actively whipping against impeachment in almost every public statement she makes.

If every time Trump does something clearly impeachable, you as the House Leader put out a statement that's tantamount to "This President is behaving badly. We will hold him accountable, nothing is off the table. But this isn't enough" then congrats, you've just contributed to the normalization of every contemptible thing Trump has done up to this point. And to be clear, Trump is lapping the impeachment argument. The case has long been made. You can't be surprised that support for impeachment is dragging when that's the message from leadership.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

Meanwhile on the right, "Yo Nazis fucking rule my dude!"

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I'm not even sure why Pelosi wanted to be Speaker when all she's doing with the position is destroying her reputation. Happy to be proven wrong, but as it's going history is not going to look back fondly on her.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood

Seth Masket @smotus

On the one hand you have a whistleblower saying Trump pressured Ukraine to interfere in the US election but on the other hand you have Trump's lawyer saying Trump pressured Ukraine to interfere in the US election and I don't know who to believe.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She can't just go "YES IMPEACHMENT TIME" on a dime as leader.
I mean, this whole thing is just kinda weird because we've already reached the point where the impeachment process has in fact started regardless and Pelosi is just trying to play pretend and act like it hasn't despite the fact it actually has, and everything's just really muddled and dumb as a result (even if that doesn't end up making any difference, it's still really weird and bizarre the way her and Nadler/Judiciary seem to be feuding in public and private alike over this).

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm entirely convinced a story could drop about how Trump was trying to rig 2020 voter machines and the statement from pelosi would be the same. She from the beginning made the calculus that unless like 80% of the public was crying on the streets for impeachment that she would be content to continually dismiss the whole thing.

OP
OP
Ogodei

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
The DoJ should be independent of Congress and the Executive just like the Federal Reserve.

You want a partisan DoJ so that they can do better under a Dem admin.

You want a non-partisan Government Accountability Office which has law enforcement powers and is the exclusive domain of policing elected and senate-confirmed officials.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
By 2030, progressive populism burned out as right-wing populism had. The Democrats became the nation's majority party. This party ran on a one-word platform: unity. After decades of culture, class and demographic warfare, moderate liberals defined America as a universal nation, a pluralistic nation, embracing all and seeking opportunity for all.

Nice fanfiction, David.

Status
Not open for further replies.