• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if we should make voting mandatory. And then make voting last a week. And then make it so that there is no in-person voting, only mail voting, so it's all paper.

Compulsory voting with high penalties in place does not always lead to strong, anti-fascist results. See: Brazil.

There's very little strong evidence to back it up as a method to change voting outcomes.

And there would have to be an option to opt-out anyways thanks to our constitution, so I'm not actually sure if many more people would vote. Many would still throw out their mail-in ballots for any variety of reasons.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we should make voting mandatory. And then make voting last a week. And then make it so that there is no in-person voting, only mail voting, so it's all paper.

Because then there are no people harassing you outside the doors to vote a certain way or intimidate you.

For what it's worth, mail voting is one realm where voter fraud is real (and committed by old folks). When my grandfathers Alzheimer's really kicked in and he was nonverbal and totally glazed my grandmother still filled out his mail-in ballot. He likely would have voted the same as she, but who really knows.

This is also a realm where a controlling husband could easily fill out a wife's ballot without her sayso.

You have to keep in-person voting while making mail ballots accessible to all.

ValiantChaos

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I finally watched that Warren speech in NYC. Goddamn that was impressive.

She's gotten so much better at politics and campaigning than I thought she'd be.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
Voting is mandatory in my country and its a mixed bag. I am happier than it is though, as otherwise a lot of rural voters would just stay home and our democracy would be even shakier.
I'm not super familiar so forgive me if I'm off base here, but is Peru not an especially stable democracy? I had always heard it was one of the more stable South American countries but those folks could have been mistaken. Would love to get some insight from someone who lives there since I'm dumb and stuff.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Pointless prediction: Without knowing much about this promise thing, I expect the Trump defense force to cite Obama's hot mic comments to Medvedev in 2012 as some kind of twisted whataboutism to whatever comes out

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kamala Harris bets it all on Iowa to break freefall

Hopefully this means that if she finishes 4th or worse, she bails and endorses and isn't stubborn.
Biden should have crashed and burned when there was commentary about him being grabby touchy and feely all his life. People chose to overlook all that. He is still the heavy favorite to win the nomination.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
I'm not super familiar so forgive me if I'm off base here, but is Peru not an especially stable democracy? I had always heard it was one of the more stable South American countries but those folks could have been mistaken. Would love to get some insight from someone who lives there since I'm dumb and stuff.
totally.

Ok imagine if Hillary had won but republicans had 60 seats in the senate (and the house didnt exist), thats our current government.

We have had 19 years of democracy but every single one of our previous presidents right now is either in jail or dead due to corruption. Everyone in the country (around 75%) hates congress but we cant do anything about it.

Since congress is literally impossible to work with, our president is trying to make the next elections happen a year before but congress is also blocking him, while they are also looking for any excuse to impeach him and kick him out of the presidency because the vice president has shown to be corrupt as well.

Also congress is running to fill our supreme court with their people so that a new elections reform would get instantly crushed in the court. This is happening while poverty is rising, prices continues to grow while our salaries are shit and the arrival of half a million venezuelan refugees is setting up the stage for a Peruvian Trump to enter the fray

Thats Peru.

divination

Oct 26, 2017
Has this been AP?

As he runs for president, Pete Buttigieg has tried to contain the public fallout from the fatal police shooting this summer of a 54-year-old black father in South Bend, Indiana. Instead his closed-door efforts have only exacerbated his problems with black activists.

Members of Black Lives Matter, who met privately with Buttigieg in the weeks after the shooting, say the 37-year-old Democratic mayor brushed off their concerns about police violence in the city he has led since 2012.

"He seemed to have already taken a side. It did seem that he was prioritizing who he thought was important, and it didn't seem to be black people," said Melina Abdullah, a co-founder of the Los Angeles chapter of Black Lives Matter who participated in a July call between the mayor and activists.

"I remember he felt very rushed, as if he wanted to check it off a box as something that he did," said Abdullah, who is a professor at California State University in Los Angeles.

That July phone call, and a meeting in his South Bend office the following month, marked the first-ever discussions between Buttigieg and Black Lives Matter, an influential racial justice activist group. By the end of August, the local chapter of the group called for Buttigieg to step down as mayor.

More at the link: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/18/pet...k-lives-matter-after-eric-logan-shooting.html

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017

I'm beginning to wonder if this is partly a re-election strategy by Trump - the most brazen virtue signaling imaginable by picking on CA to 'own the libs'

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dems need to get their shit together on how the hell they go about all of this.
Pelosi is going to be the odd one out the entire way. She was shitting on Nadler the other day behind closed doors with House Democrats because he is aggressively pushing Impeachment and Nancy wants to play politics.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017

You know, with the recent exit of Coats and his deputy, I have to wonder if these sources are at least one of them.

Edit: I wonder if there'd be merit it the House calling them to testify behind closed doors

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Biden should have crashed and burned when there was commentary about him being grabby touchy and feely all his life. People chose to overlook all that. He is still the heavy favorite to win the nomination.
I thought it was over then and there and honestly wish it was.

Someone at dinner this evening mentioned that Wesley Clark was dominating the polls at this time in 2003 and likely would have won the nomination had he not chosen to skip Iowa for some reason.

So given the fact I have no idea who he is (I was like 12), I'm going to assume that Biden being the nominee is far from a certainty.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This whistleblower thing is escalating. I don't know how it should proceed from here. Seems like some classified information in there. Could be the tapes from Watergate level of big here but we have to see.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

This rules out Kim Jong Un, as communication was just through letters, I believe. 99% certainty it's Putin, with 1% chance it's Bibi.

Edit: can't be anyone other than Putin, surely?
The complaint was filed with Atkinson's office on Aug. 12, a date on which Trump was at his golf resort in New Jersey. White House records indicate that Trump had had conversations or interactions with at least five foreign leaders in the preceding five weeks.

Among them was a call with Russian President Vladimir Putin that the White House initiated on July 31. Trump also received at least two letters from North Korean leader Kim Jong Un during the summer, describing them as "beautiful" messages. In June, Trump said publicly that he was opposed to certain CIA spying operations against North Korea. Referring to a Wall Street Journal report that the agency had recruited Kim's half-brother, Trump said, "I would tell him that would not happen under my auspices."

Trump met with other foreign leaders at the White House in July, including the prime minister of Pakistan, the prime minister of the Netherlands, and the emir of Qatar.

From the WaPo.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
totally.

Ok imagine if Hillary had won but republicans had 60 seats in the senate (and the house didnt exist), thats our current government.

We have had 19 years of democracy but every single one of our previous presidents right now is either in jail or dead due to corruption. Everyone in the country (around 75%) hates congress but we cant do anything about it.

Since congress is literally impossible to work with, our president is trying to make the next elections happen a year before but congress is also blocking him, while they are also looking for any excuse to impeach him and kick him out of the presidency because the vice president has shown to be corrupt as well.

Also congress is running to fill our supreme court with their people so that a new elections reform would get instantly crushed in the court. This is happening while poverty is rising, prices continues to grow while our salaries are shit and the arrival of half a million venezuelan refugees is setting up the stage for a Peruvian Trump to enter the fray

Thats Peru.

Jesus fucking Christ dude. That's terrible.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This whistleblower thing is escalating. I don't know how it should proceed from here. Seems like some classified information in there. Could be the tapes from Watergate level of big here but we have to see.
Next 2 days are gonna be interesting because if i understand correctly Schiff has requested the interview happen by Thursday or else he will have to subpoena, which i hear is worthless these days.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
When I see those H2H, I want to just scream. Goddamn it Biden, why couldn't you be coherent, not so rapey, not so fucking bad on race....it's a golden fucking opportunity and we get stuck with that whole situation. Ugh.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
When I see those H2H, I want to just scream. Goddamn it Biden, why couldn't you be coherent, not so rapey, not so fucking bad on race....it's a golden fucking opportunity and we get stuck with that whole situation. Ugh.

Honestly the real question we need to be asking is, why the fuck is he anyone's top choice?

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Honestly the real question we need to be asking is, why the fuck is he anyone's top choice?
I mean, there are a lot of reasons why someone with Biden's policies would be more preferable to some than a more left candidate. The issue is, he's the only viable one running on those. So, I get that part. He appeals to parts of the coalition, and he's not toxic to the general public because I genuinely believe most voters just want to get off this fucking ride. So, I get it....but why couldn't he just not be a human dumpster fire.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting timing - after Schiff asked for the whistleblower info trump released funding for ukraine. Could be coincidence, could be not.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Like, on one hand I don't want Biden at all, on the other I would pay good money to see a Biden landslide just out of curiosity, the fact that it would be strongly rebuking Trump (and in a way, validating Obama as we know Biden is essentially running as a proxy for a third term) and it also means we'd probably be sweeping the Senate elections.

And like, I could live with Biden being president. A unified Congress would still pass good legislation, and most of Trump's executive actions would immediately be reversed. But I don't think the Biden coalition is sustainable, nor do I think Biden is all that interested in building the party.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Forgive me from assuming that this voter tangent came about from yet another moderate-aligned "young people have to suck it up" tirade in response to our slow incrementalism maybe, just maybe, affecting a small portion of a small voting base in a negative manner. And then trying to refocus it to what actually matters.

But continue on railing against teenagers and early 20 somethings that number insignificantly compared to old white moderates - the base that seems to always escape by in these talks and discussions because they're the ones that actually matter in our democracy. Can't scare them off with policies that the youth like because....well they might not vote either, or worse and typically, vote for those who are seeking to destroy our democracy.

But whatever, I don't care. Carry on.

The reason why the party keeps on listening to the "white moderates" (and in reality, it's white, black, and brown moderates, but that's get in the way of the narrative), is they show up without people having to beg them. So, if you want the party to stop listening to the old people, maybe show up, so the average age of a Democratic primary voter isn't 50-something, like it was in 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.