• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
t3_7dc58e

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that impeachable right there? You can't offer a pardon to get someone to break the law.
The list of stuff that Trump has done that is impeachable is never ending. Though technically the Legislative branch defines what is and isn't impeachable. You could be impeached over a blow job or not impeached over traitorous acts by colluding with Russians.

We are way past what is by law and decent. One branch of the government is completely undermining the other and evading various constitutional laws. Would be a completely different issue if say Democrats the Senate, they would have removed Trump from office by now.

Oct 26, 2017
Seems to be moving towards contempt

If they don't "do something" to Cory, then Democrats should just disband the committee right now. This is clear contempt. Period.

Otherwise Lewondoski has basically exposed House Dems as engaging in kabuki theater to appease the "pro-impeachment" wing of the party but with no real plans or strategy to actually do anything.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
He won't drop out until about 2 months after it's obvious to everybody that it's impossible for him to win.
He won't drop out at all (though I suspect that poster meant Biden).

He's going to take it all the way to the convention, and his followers are going to act like they're engaged in the greatest civil rights struggle of our time again.

If they don't "do something" to Cory, then Democrats should just disband the committee right now. This is clear contempt. Period.
Contempt citations are referred to the justice department.

I have no doubt they'll do it. I also have no doubt that it will achieve nothing.

You (and others here) seem to think Democrats have more power than they actually do. The reality is that they have very little power to do anything beyond investigate (and even that ability is hamstrung by the administration and the courts). Being in control of one chamber of Congress does not give them magic powers that they can use to do all the things you want in all the ways you want them to be done.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
That over 65 number for Bernie is the end. You cannot fucking win with numbers like that among the most reliable voting block. We need to get to Warren v Biden quicker rather than later.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
They still maintain their power of Inherent Contempt which would not be referred to the DoJ.
They could also challenge him to a duel.

Solutions have to be grounded in reality. Trying extra-judicial confinement in 2019 is not going to happen, and pretending that it will is incredibly naive (or disingenuous).

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Those Sanders old voter numbers are a big yikes.

If these polls start to hold then Sanders should start considering dropping out sooner rather than later.

Oct 26, 2017

I have no doubt they'll do it. I also have no doubt that it will achieve nothing.

You (and others here) seem to think Democrats have more power than they actually do. The reality is that they have very little power to do anything beyond investigate (and even that ability is hamstrung by the administration and the courts).

Then let the DoJ explain on the record why they're going to ignore the contempt referral.

And most of us here know the limits of the Democrats power, which means the Democrats should be exercising what powers they do have to the MAX. As soon as Don Maghan bowed down to the WH's pseudo-fake privilege claim, House Dems should have immediately began the court process, so they could get the court orders. But no, they sat on their hands for almost 4 months, so now when Cory appears in front of them, they have no ammunition to compel his testimony. They could levy fines for those in contempt of Congress, but they've refused to take that step because it's "against today's norms". They could have forced Hope Hicks to do her testimony in public, but they treated her like a delicate little flower so her obscene stone-walling and obstruction was kept behind closed doors and out of the public eye.

It's one thing if Dems had exhausted all their options and they still can't get anywhere. But they haven't used all their tools and they routinely give deference to the witnesses when push comes to shove. The WH is asserting power that it clearly doesn't have, but Congress refuses to use power it actually does have (fines, jail (via Sargent of Arms), etc). Dems are simply too weak for the moment we're in.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
And let's be clear. It's not because older voters are secret corporate neoliberal whatever's, as evidenced by Warren doing well with them. People do not like Bernie Sanders.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Months back we saw lots of metrics behind the toplines that indicated Harris or Warren would be a strong consensus nominee, and while Harris has fallen off, Warren's metrics are going up.

Those Sanders old voter numbers are a big yikes.

If these polls start to hold then Sanders should start considering dropping out sooner rather than later.
All of Sanders' numbers have been a big yikes this year. you just had to treat the dropoff from 2016 seriously.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Taking a look at the Super Tuesday states

Alabama
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Maine
Massachusetts
Minnesota
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia

I would say at a bare minimum Warren's path to victory involves her winning California, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Oklahoma and Utah. Five out of those seven states went for Bernie last time, the exceptions being California and Massachusetts. Vermont is going to go big for Bernie regardless of what his national viability is at that time, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The key, like with the early four is not getting wrecked by Biden in the Southern states. If I had any say in Warren's campaign, North Carolina, Texas and Virginia would have some priority here - all of them are bigger than Alabama, Arkansas and Tennessee for one, and they're all likely to be swing states next November (well, Virginia may already be in the blue column, but just hedging my bets here). Still, it's all about the margins - losing Texas by 20 is less of a big deal than winning California by 20. Conversely if she wins California by 5 and loses Texas by 50 that's trouble with a capital T (that rhymes with B that stands for Joe).

Months back we saw lots of metrics behind the toplines that indicated Harris or Warren would be a strong consensus nominee, and while Harris has fallen off, Warren's metrics are going up.

All of Sanders' numbers have been a big yikes this year. you just had to treat the dropoff from 2016 seriously.

This is what gives me hope more than anything. Warren's an easy candidate to rally around.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
first-choice and second-choice combined:

Warren 46%
Biden 42%
Sanders 30%
Buttigieg 19%

That's also what WFP saw, and what Move On saw and others are seeing. Sanders hasn't been able to build beyond his initial coalition this year and has actually lost a lot of strong support from reliable voters. If he couldn't win Iowa las time against Hillary, it's going to be impossible for him this time against even more candidates.

And winning Iowa is key to deflating Biden going into the primaries.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

You (and others here) seem to think Democrats have more power than they actually do. The reality is that they have very little power to do anything beyond investigate (and even that ability is hamstrung by the administration and the courts). Being in control of one chamber of Congress does not give them magic powers that they can use to do all the things you want in all the ways you want them to be done.

Then why do anything?

Seriously. If the pushback everytime somebody has the audacity to expect Democrats to step up to bat (truly, groundbreaking expectations we have) is going to be, "You lot clearly don't understand how any of this works. The Democrats can't..." why do any of this? If the answer is to be excited for Democrats while they let a pissant like Corey Lewandowski openly mock them to their faces...why do any of this?

I use to think that there was value in the messaging aspect of it. Not after today. Today's display was especially shameful, and if they did manage to get some little nugget out of Lewandowski, who cares? Today demonstrated that they have little to no desire to do anything with what they've learned. They're collecting examples of impeachable offenses commited by this president in the same way a great-uncle collects stamps: he just wants to have them, but he doesn't plan to do anything with that shit.

Lewandowski clowning them and then having the audacity launch a senate campaign bid off of this farce? And the Democrats can't even muster the gumption to launch right and deserved contempt charge. Beyond the pale.

The party of learned helplessness indeed.

Get behind your candidate. Pour everything you have into them. And then get behind the winner. But forget Congress. They are not of any help.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's also what WFP saw, and what Move On saw and others are seeing. Sanders hasn't been able to build beyond his initial coalition this year and has actually lost a lot of strong support from reliable voters. If he couldn't win Iowa las time against Hillary, it's going to be impossible for him this time against even more candidates.

And winning Iowa is key to deflating Biden going into the primaries.
Both Biden and Sanders are trying to win a campaign by standing still. In Biden's case he's acting like a 3rd termer type (Gore/Hillary) when he's in a multiway race.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
NC House passes Senate maps 62-52, almost entirely party line, maps will now be reviewed by the court and Persily and will most likely be struck down

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017
College+
Warren 34%
Biden 23%
Buttigieg 9%
Snders 8%
Harris 6%
Klobuchar 4%
Booker 3%
O'Rourke 3%

Non-College
Biden 38%
Warren 25%
Sanders 15%

Buttigieg 6%
Harris 4%
Yang 3%
Booker 3%

Well those Non-college #'s certainly put a hole in a certain narrative.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Mayor Pete's numbers probably make him the best VP pick outside of the current frontrunners.

It's just hard not to dream about Beto helping steal Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.