• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2017
This hearing is actually turning out more ridiculous than I expected. They should've planned to lock him up for contempt right from the start. Democrats need to learn to start playing dirty and remember that NONE of these Trump stooges are actually going to willingly turn on him. You're going to actually have to have bite behind your bark.

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, there were others. Steve Cohen was particularly good today, better than his KFC bucket nonsense earlier in the year.

I have to disagree with you about Steve Cohen. What of any substance did he uncover? It was mostly more "You're loyal bagman, right??" type stuff. We need Congressmen to get rid of the laundry list and ask straight-up questions and make him read the excerpts from the report. The problem is the majority of the House Dems are completely unprepared with their questions. They either try to go directly for the kill-shot ("Did you help Trump commit obstruction of justice!") or when that fails start speed reading through the Mueller Report. Hank Johnson managed to get something out of Cory because he knew how to eat around the edges and gradually work inwards.

So painful to watch. I basically have to accept that no Republican administration will ever be accountable to Congress in my lifetime. They couldn't do it with the Iraq War, Financial Crisis, and now Trump Corruption. Dems aren't even paper tigers, they're just little house cats. I don't know why I keep falling for their lies that they'll provide real oversight this time. They're a cocktail mix of cowardice and incompetence.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
This whole hearing is a joke. They all look like fools, and no one gets anything out of this. I have no care anymore, it is seriously a waste of time.

I know I couldn't sit on that committee, I would attack the hell out of those congressmen who are blatantly in cahoots with the president.

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
This whole hearing is a joke. They all look like fools, and no one gets anything out of this. I have no care anymore, it is seriously a waste of time.

I know I couldn't sit on that committee, I would attack the hell out of those congressmen who are blatantly in cahoots with the president.

The gop want it to be a joke so they can say it's a joke and democrats don't know what to do.

Oct 27, 2017
I have to disagree with you about Steve Cohen. What of any substance did he uncover? It was mostly more "You're loyal bagman, right??" type stuff. We need Congressmen to get rid of the laundry list and ask straight-up questions and make him read the excerpts from the report. The problem is the majority of the House Dems are completely unprepared with their questions. They either try to go directly for the kill-shot ("Did you help Trump commit obstruction of justice!") or when that fails start speed reading through the Mueller Report. Hank Johnson managed to get something out of Cory because he knew how to eat around the edges and gradually work inwards.

So painful to watch. I basically have to accept that no Republican administration will ever be accountable to Congress in my lifetime. They couldn't do it with the Iraq War, Financial Crisis, and now Trump Corruption. Dems aren't even paper tigers, they're just little house cats. I don't know why I keep falling for their lies that they'll provide real oversight this time. They're a cocktail mix of cowardice and incompetence.

Painful to watch, I agree. But this is how these judicial, intelligence, and oversight hearings have been so far. These people just don't cooperate or take congressional responsibility seriously, and they want other people to come away with the same feeling (not taking government seriously) - so that as many of them as possible will either vote for Trump or sit out the general election.

The difference now is that this is "post-impeachment-announcement", but otherwise there's really not much difference than the earlier ones.

And yet, so much has been gathered and uncovered to this point. And at every hearing, the up-to-the-moment news coverage has been "what in the world are they doing", but by 24 hours later the story has completely changed and more gets either leaked or uncovered. So I am going to stick with this for now and their performances before congress are not going to sway me into sitting out the general election.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
This hearing is actually turning out more ridiculous than I expected. They should've planned to lock him up for contempt right from the start. Democrats need to learn to start playing dirty and remember that NONE of these Trump stooges are actually going to willingly turn on him. You're going to actually have to have bite behind your bark.

The thing is, it's not even playing dirty! It's literally following the rules and expectations for non-cooperative testimony.

It's not like we're asking them to fake punt or use trickery. We just want them to stop punting on first down for "field position."

edit: lol Nadler got asked directly to hold Lewandowsky in contempt and he did nothing, absolute cowardice

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I don't see why swallwell and that other guy brought up contempt where they did.

Like has literally no one talked to Nadler about contempt?

If it wasn't planned out to do it by the end of the hearing it's not going to happen.

And yeah I guess I wouldn't be surprised if we're so disorganized no one has even brought it up to Nadler as an actual thing to do.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But the overall Dem strategy arc (if there is one), is that immunity does not apply here and Corey continuously trotting that out is contempt.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Like has literally no one talked to Nadler about contempt?

If it wasn't planned out to do it by the end of the hearing it's not going to happen.
If there's one frustrating but consistent aspect of all these hearings, it's that Democrats don't seem to prepare/organize their strategy ahead of time. They all seem to wing-it, and solo.

The shit's chess, it ain't checkers!

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there's one frustrating but consistent aspect of all these hearings, it's that Democrats don't seem to prepare/organize their strategy ahead of time. They all seem to wing-it, and solo.

The shit's chess, it ain't checkers!
Wasn't this done in the Watergate hearings, where everyone ceded time like the GOP did w/ the Kav hearing?
obama lost independents by 5 points in 2012
Yup, Is contain actual Is and shy tories. It's one of several factors why the Dems are larger.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
NC Senate passed the House's maps 24-21, party line, all Dems voted against, 5 GOP did not vote (technically 4 with Bishop leaving)

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I know these numbers are old, but I'm still just thinking of candidate cash on hand and debt:

Delaney's campaign is 16 million in debt?
Probably in debt to Delaney himself.
Rep. David Cicilline (D-R.I.)
YASSSSSSSS King
Maybe I wasn't paying well enough attention but I thought he was give good grades by voters on it.

Thanks. Not really familiar with the guy.

Edit:

He is a G. I am not surprised at all that it was him.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Democrats pressed Corey Lewandowski at a contentious House hearing Tuesday, with at least one member calling for the former Trump campaign manager to be held in contempt for following a White House directive to limit the scope of his Hill testimony.

"You're not going to stonewall me and my questioning!" Rep. David Cicilline, D-R.I., told Lewandowski, suggesting that lawmakers hold the former Trump aide in contempt of Congress. House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerry Nadler, D-N.Y. said that he would take the idea under advisement.

Nadler himself said as the hearing began that the White House's effort to stop or limit former staff from speaking fully before Congress amounted to a "shocking and dangerous assertion of executive privilege and absolute immunity."

"The White House is advancing a new dangerous theory of crony privilege. It makes absolute immunity look good by comparison. Where are the limits?" he asked at a hearing featuring former Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski. "This is a cover-up, plain and simple."

Just do it Jerry. This is your first actual week of a publicly known impeachment procedure and your first real test so far, one indicative of what's to come. Saddle up and hold this fucker in inherent contempt. Don't even need to jail, just fine them $25,000 every day.

And then do the same for whoever ignored their subpoena to witness today. And keep doing this.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
You don't need to be a grandmaster to fucking organize. That's my point.

This is like watching 5 year-olds play soccer.

---

I can't tell if this is real (a common refrain these days)

His kids are 7-12 years old. First, they should be in school. Second, if they aren't in school they are not watching this crap. Third, even if they are, they're old enough to know it's not real. Fourth, his kids are probably wondering why he worked for a criminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.