• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, after his debate and campaign trail performance, it's hard not to think that Joe Biden running for President is just selfish and vain. He can't even answer himself why he's running other than he thinks he can win and he has always wanted to be President. He can't respond coherently to debate questions. He's basically coasting on name recognition and Obama-shield.

I mean I get that there's some element of ego to anyone running for President.

I am no fan of Bernie Sanders, but he actually has a purpose to his second Presidential run. I think he is also too old and should have instead backed someone with a similar agenda and purpose. But his motives aren't entirely selfish.

Elizabeth Warren actually has a purpose and wants to do meaningful things.

I can't tell why Joe Biden is running at all.
I don't know why you'd think so, Biden's mission for running has been pretty clearly articulated by him and his campaign many times: that he is the one with the experience + appeal necessary to defeat Trump, restore America's credibility on the world stage, and bring back the soul of the country. A return to the Obama-era America and then building from there. You can disagree with every single point of that, but the idea that Biden has never articulated a reason for running beyond "he always wanted to be president" is just wrong.

The people on that stage who have actually not articulated a core mission for their campaigns and potential presidencies are Booker, Castro, and Kamala. They are all presidential material, but I don't know what central idea is motivating them other than that they're presidential material and therefore should be in the race for it. I like Kamala but I don't know what her core mission is and I roll my eyes every time this "3am agenda" gets mentioned because that's just...not anything. Beto for a while also had no real direction to his campaign and was there because people just thought he should be in it, though he seems to have found his reason now with guns and how racism and xenophobia play into it.

There is educational merit to kids hearing audio books. The "record player" comment shows he was struggling to find the right words, but I get what he was going for.
right, there's an academic school of thought there he is trying to reference but never set up the context for it at all, so it came out as nonsense.

Last edited:

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'm not going to start worrying about a third term until he gets a second one.

I'm curious if Beto going so hard on buyback is going to crater his VP chances.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Refusing to spend free money from the federal government on HIV/AIDS causes to own the libs.

Republicans are fucking garbage human beings.

Don't forget rick Scott also closed florida's Tuberculosis hospitals during a rash of TB among homeless populations dealing with a resurgence.

I've long used the argument that healthcare should be viewed to some extent as a national security concern. It's a vector of attack that would easily be exploited should someone introduce a viral epidemic through marginalized groups.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Actual Fox News quote about someone who jumped from the World Trade Center on 9/11: "Her last gesture of human decency was to hold her skirt down before she killed herself."
Not sure if this was posted before.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
So Lamont has been a pretty bad governor and has already pissed off most of the legislature and will almost certainly be a single termer

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
If Trump loses the election he will not go away quietly. He's going to tear the country apart. He'll start his own network and claim to be the real President.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Hopefully a 2020 loss doesn't mean people would take his loss in a 2024 comeback bid for granted. He'd be 1-1 at that point.

Also don't think he'd have loser stench in the primary because he'll tell his base the election was stolen, and they'll believe him.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully a 2020 loss doesn't mean people would take his loss in a 2024 comeback bid for granted. He'd be 1-1 at that point.

Also don't think he'd have loser stench in the primary because he'll tell his base the election was stolen, and they'll believe him.
Then I guess we'd have to hope the actuarial tables would prove accurate.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017

Not hearing any politicians discussing this but holy cow what is happening here?
- What is going on with state governments not paying teachers, leaving many vacant teacher jobs
- If "foreigners" are coming in to teach but anti-immigration policies from Republican administrations prevent that, then that's even more pressure on the existing US education system.
- Is this the new "H1B visa" abuse and if so, what has been done with regards to the H1B situation that can be applied here?
- I wonder what kind of a rabbit hole this can lead down to with other industries potentially abusing their own specific visas to do similar things.

Last edited:

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Meh, I think he'd just pack it up and soak in the extra income without responsibilities.

Plus he'd be old as fuck.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Not hearing any politicians discussing this but holy cow what is happening here?
- What is going on with state governments not paying teachers, leaving many vacant teacher jobs
- If "foreigners" are coming in to teach but anti-immigration policies from Republican administrations prevent that, then that's even more pressure on the existing US education system.

Education in US has been on a downturn for quite a while and there was some talk about it on the debate stage as well. GOP isnt really interested in pouring money into the education system, it suits them just fine to having Americans below standard in education. It's a double whammy on their fight against immigrants because education is means by while immigrants can achieve success. Plus there is always that tinge of sexism in there because teaching is a female dominated occupation so that just means they can leverage their lower salaries even further.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
He's already one of the most unpopular governors in the country, which is impressive!
He's already walked back or just straight up broke every major promise. He was in a difficult position to begin with but he didn't have to, you know, lie so much

Also weed is dead. Legalizing and taxing that would have raised more than half of the regressive taxes they are planning on implementing

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Education in US has been on a downturn for quite a while and there was some talk about it on the debate stage as well. GOP isnt really interested in pouring money into the education system, it suits them just fine to having Americans below standard in education. It's a double whammy on their fight against immigrants because education is means by while immigrants can achieve success. Plus there is always that tinge of sexism in there because teaching is a female dominated occupation so that just means they can leverage their lower salaries even further.
In that video, the woman said her salary from a Chicago school is like $50k+. She pays $600+ rent monthly as well. That's honestly a fairly respectful financial situation to be in. Why aren't local Americans taking up a job like that? It also says that the Chicago public school district has 700+ opening listed on its website so the opportunities are there. This is baffling what's happening.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Meh, I think he'd just pack it up and soak in the extra income without responsibilities.

Plus he'd be old as fuck.
The only reason he ran at all was purely to spite Obama.

He's had so many opportunities to fuck off into the sunset with money and comfort, I don't think that's something that really appeals to him.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
In that video, the woman said her salary from a Chicago school is like $50k+. She pays $600+ rent monthly as well. That's honestly a fairly respectful financial situation to be in. Why aren't local Americans taking up a job like that? It also says that the Chicago public school district has 700+ opening listed on its website so the opportunities are there. This is baffling what's happening.
I don't know about Chicago but here in the deep south teachers arent paid nearly that amount. Or if they are... that's on a 50 week 40 hour pay schedule yet teachers have a lot of holidays and time off that doesn't factor into that salary. What do teachers do when it's the summer and they got bills to pay? So even if you get a decent wage per hour you aren't making that much money over the year.

And even if that base salary looks alright for the average American.. this isnt exactly a waiter job that anyone can just get into. You actually have to want to teach, be qualified and pass tests/job interviews. You have to be monitored by other teachers as you teach a classroom. And when you finally get the job you are ill equipped on resources having to teach a class of 35 and having to buy school supplies out of your own pocket.

Most teachers leave the job within the first 5 years. They are better off doing something else entirely. Not enough incentives provided by the education system for them to stick. There isn't nearly as much importance given to teachers in US as in say Japan.

And you wouldn't want your children to be taught by substandard teachers either. A lot of this concern doesn't reach the affluent white population because they can just sent their kids to private/religious schools where they pay teachers better. I would imagine a lot more uproar if they had to send their kids to white kids to public schools running elbows with non white kids being taught by non white teachers in super crowded classes etc. But just like with healthcare, they are fine with others getting dicked as long as they can afford the best care/service.

Last edited:

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
well Trump is like Pennywise, we'll just have to defeat him every 4 years.

*I have not seen It 2 so I don't know if they actually defeat Pennywise

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Joe Kennedy will probably run for President at some point and then totally flop. the JEB! of the Kennedy dynasty
That Kennedy Boy for President is a non-starter outside of the Northeast.

The most memorable thing about him outside of his last name is that he has oily-combination skin.
He definitely has the Rick scott/james(?) Carville snake person look to him
Y'all are ruthless.

<3
right, there's an academic school of thought there he is trying to reference but never set up the context for it at all, so it came out as nonsense.
But it heavily implies that black parents don't read to their children in the context that he used it in. That's racist as fuck.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump Jr goes nowhere. Not even the Trumpers like him. He's just so dry and Jebby

the recent atlantic article on the trump kids appears to suggest otherwise. he's apparently highly thought of on the campaign trail and by the current republican establishment types now that the maga lunatics run the asylum

Status
Not open for further replies.