• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Right?

Either the GOP wins this in a clincher when they should've had this on lock or Democrats flip the seat from them. Either option sucks for the GOP.

A win's a win, if they can keep clinching wins they get to continue to obstruct.

And it isn't like McCready's losing to some centrist Republican, he's losing to a psychopath.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A win's a win, if they can keep clinching wins they get to continue to obstruct.

And it isn't like McCready's losing to some centrist Republican, he's losing to a psychopath.

Obstruct what? This is a House seat that's been vacant for months now and changes nothing on House dynamic.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017

the practical effect of Bishop in office versus McCready is... nothing. And it's not even like, well shit, the GOP has to spend to take this district back in 2020. It probably won't even exist.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Ugh.

Jon Ossoff is a weak candidate and I really can't imagine him winning in Georgia.

On a related note, I Googled Jon Ossoff to make sure I was spelling his name correctly and...man, the people who write/edit Wikipedia articles might be up there with 50+ year-old black women for most deceptively potent shade:

KJlmvek.png

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Warren trade policies are going to last. She smarter than Trump and she'll be more vulnerable to criticism because of the media and Democrats being more prone to criticize their own. If reality hits, I think she will at least adjust her plans.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017

This seat actually literally means nothing in terms of power. Also it probably won't even exist in it's current form next year.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Medicare 4 Al.

Shifty Forma Republican big money.

Shifty Forma McKinsey child.

What happened to Levi?? Oh virtuous Levi.
We can't expect everyone affiliated with a presidential candidate to make a virtuous living. We live, after all, in a rapacious, dirty system. (Though it's worth noting Bernie Sanders's children include an advocate for the disabled, a progressive politician, and a yoga studio owner, while his wife is a former college president who currently runs a left-wing think tank with the help of another of their sons.)
lol

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
I don't think the data really backs this up fwiw
Didn't we say that before about him? Didn't we say that about the man who, performatively, is the better version of him (Beto)?

I mean, if he wins I'll be his #1 stan. But...I'm looking, and I'm not seeing an upgraded politician from when he ran for that House seat.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Didn't we say that before about him? Didn't we say that about the man who, performatively, is the better version of him (Beto)?

I mean, if he wins I'll be his #1 stan. But...I'm looking, and I'm not seeing an upgraded politician from when he ran for that House seat.
Do you see a better candidate for Senate for that race other than McBath who would run for the other seat?

Oct 27, 2017
This is only partially her team. I say this as a fan, but we're seeing Warren's weakness right now. She's the candidate of "plans"...she churns them out like McDonald's churns out chicken nuggets. And that's the thing...a lot of Warren's plans are...frankly, shit.

I'm really needing someone to take her to task for that.
Yeah, campaigns should be largely running on identifying problems people have, rather than picking targets. But Warren's been the best so far identifying when the target potentially IS the problem. It seems risky to do but it helps that there's an actual related issue to discuss.

Online storefronts search-promoting their own or preferred products, or worse adapting others' products and selling their own versions of products remains an issue. As does discoverability in general. It's important because people do see these storefronts as a means to make a living and a vehicle for upward mobility.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Have to disagree with Jacobin here, I don't think it's right at all to attack Jane Sanders
If you wade into politics via news media/interviews/stumping/etc....

More to the point, if you use the platform earned by your spouse who is a politician to attack other candidates then, yes...Hell yes, you're open to attack/criticism.

divination

Oct 26, 2017
Just as a thought experiment, if our statewide candidates in 2020 perform as well as McCready did tonight in NC-09, would they be on track to win statewide?

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Man, whatever. It seems like this is right past the line of "oh shit Dems can take this seat" as we saw leading up to the midterms, right? So basically the landscape hasn't changed if this is an indication. It should never be this close. Just like Missouri in 2008 should have never been close. Or something.

I cannot believe Obama lost MO by only 4k votes in 2008

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
This district was always going to be extremely hard to win. It's not like this was Georgia 6th where Trump barely won with a plurality. This is a traditionally Republican district that he won by 12.

madstarr12

Jan 25, 2018
Man, whatever. It seems like this is right past the line of "oh shit Dems can take this seat" as we saw leading up to the midterms, right? So basically the landscape hasn't changed if this is an indication. It should never be this close. Just like Missouri in 2008 should have never been close. Or something.

I cannot believe Obama lost MO by only 4k votes in 2008
Pretty sure Missouri was still considered a bellwether state in 2008, before becoming super republican the times after.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Dan Bishop may have won but the number he won by means R's are still kinda fucked.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
It's consistent with at least a D+6 (you know, right around the current GCB) environment, but of course it's only one data point of many.
If Trump won this district by 12 points and Bishop won by 2, I'd think that'd point to D+12... subtract ten points from the margin, and account for the fact that Trump already lost the national popular vote by 2 points.

Whatever, all that matters is it's a stinky result for the GOP in any context beyond "well at least they didn't lose?" Hard to feel too sore about a loss here when we already have a 36-seat advantage in the House.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, campaigns should be largely running on identifying problems people have, rather than picking targets. But Warren's been the best so far identifying when the target potentially IS the problem. It seems risky to do but it helps that there's an actual related issue to discuss.

Online storefronts search-promoting their own or preferred products, or worse adapting others' products and selling their own versions of products remains an issue. As does discoverability in general. It's important because people do see these storefronts as a means to make a living and a vehicle for upward mobility.

Oh, I absolutely agree with this. But here's my problem: the extent to which I am associated with politics is in terms of language, presentation, and perception.

Warren's "I have a plan for that" strategy is clearly a win for her. But that doesn't mean she doesn't need to be careful. Warren has introduced some great ideas into the discourse. I will forever stan her for being one of the first candidates to openly call for impeachment and taxing the rich. But some of these plans she churns out to stay Twitter-relevant are actually kind of sloppy and bad. And if she churns out a rushed plan that's bad enough, against a well functioning machine, she runs the risk of being defined by that bad plan.

I really do think her campaign needs to think about that more than they currently are, which is why I'm really wanting a campaign to go for her throat to see how she responds.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
If Trump won this district by 12 points and Bishop won by 2, I'd think that'd point to D+12... subtract ten points from the margin, and account for the fact that Trump already lost the national popular vote by 2 points.

Whatever, all that matters is it's a stinky result for the GOP in any context beyond "well at least they didn't lose?"
See, I went by the PVI of the district.

But yes, bad result for them and encouraging for next year.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
It was a tough road for McCready, as there were a looooot of rural communities in the district. Ultimately a meaningless race.

I never understood why so much focus was out here. But, I guess any win is a win?

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017

I'm a little confused.

The GCB at the time was tighter than November 2018. He ran about the same as Hillary did in that district when accounting for the two party vote. The GCB got more Dem friendly, and McBath was able to take out Handel by a point. Given the fundamentals, I think both performed as well as you'd expect, and I think the "he's a bad candidate" stuff is weird and not really backed up by what actually occurred.

He was completely fine.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Meh for the most part no one is looking at Forma's plans in any real detail.

She could put out a plan to end cat memes.

It's just on brand for her to be releasing white papers.

Oct 25, 2017
Meh for the most part no one is looking at Forma's plans in any real detail.

She could put out a plan to end cat memes.

It's just on brand for her to be releasing white papers.
It's on brand for Sanders to have terrible surrogates and staff, but we call them out from time to time as well. When Warren puts out bad plans, the same should happen.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
I'm a little confused.

The GCB at the time was tighter than November 2018. He ran about the same as Hillary did in that district when accounting for the two party vote. The GCB got more Dem friendly, and McBath was able to take out Handel by a point. Given the fundaments, I think both performed as well as you'd expect, and I think the "he's a bad candidate" stuff is weird and not really backed up by what actually occurred.
Where I'm coming from is this:

Until further notice, the ability for a Democrat to win a Georgia Senate seat is going be this: what is your capacity to run a statewide race similar to the race Abrams ran? Georgia hasn't seen a D Senator since 2005, and politics in that state have only gotten more polarized and difficult in that state since then. Abrams ran by being unapologetic, magnetic, and capable of running a campaign that appealed equally to white Georgians, black Georgians, and white/black unlikely voters. I just don't see, in how Ossoff presents himself, the ability to activate that Georgian coalition. I haven't seen that shift in him.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
It was a tough road for McCready, as there were a looooot of rural communities in the district. Ultimately a meaningless race.

I never understood why so much focus was out here. But, I guess any win is a win?
Probably if they lost a race with a lot of rural communities, it would mean they are doubly fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.