• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at Boston Logan and I think I saw Elizabeth warren.

No false alarm just a regular person.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017

A person directly involved in the discussions said that the removal of the Russian was driven, in part, by concerns that President Donald Trump and his administration repeatedly mishandled classified intelligence and could contribute to exposing the covert source as a spy.

The decision to carry out the extraction occurred soon after a May 2017 meeting in the Oval Office in which Trump discussed highly classified intelligence with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and then-Russian Ambassador to the US Sergey Kislyak. The intelligence, concerning ISIS in Syria, had been provided by Israel.

The disclosure to the Russians by the President, though not about the Russian spy specifically, prompted intelligence officials to renew earlier discussions about the potential risk of exposure, according to the source directly involved in the matter.

Neat. Really neat.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Could you imagine the ACTUAL closed doors discussions about extracting the spy?

"Hey, the president's a fucking moron, so let's get this guy out before trump fucks it up and gets him killed!!!"

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

New Post/ABC poll:

By 51-36, Americans trust Congressional Democrats over Trump to handle the nation's gun laws.

Independents trust Dems over Trump by a 17-point margin.

And 89% of Americans support universal background checks. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/americans-of-both-parties-overwhelmingly-support-red-flag-laws-expanded-gun-background-checks-washington-post-abc-news-poll-finds/2019/09/08/97208916-ca75-11e9-a4f3-c081a126de70_story.html …

Good, now don't turn your back on us when the Democrats actually do pass gun laws and get pummeled at the polls by gun nuts.

I wonder how this plays, I know a lot of contrarian, "both parties are full of shit" queens in the drag circles I've interacted with.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly we need to give all late night bathroom users a gun to defend themselves from the people defending themselves from possible Intruders. It's the only way.
831ce863bd45e06129e486fed79a6f21.jpg

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Why would we pull out an asset?

Well assets where being killed according the to Steel hearings. They disclosed someone close to Putin was an asset with direct confirmation that Putin himself gave the go ahead to the election meddling operation. Trump would happily give them all up to cover his ass.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I just...what...who writes like this?

And by the way there is written proof of an economic cooperation relationship between the airport and the golf course.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

They say that now, wait until Trump gets TrumpTV launched after he (hopefully) loses next year and spends all day whining about how unfair everyone was to him (including Fox News) and how his presidency was just four wasted years.

Anyway, more proof that Warren is one of the good guys:

.@ewarren endorses the Justice Democrats-backed Jessica Cisneros in her primary challenge against Rep. Henry Cuellar: https://www.texastribune.org/2019/0...texas-us-rep-henry-cuellars-democratic-prima/

Cuellar represents a heavily Democratic district in Texas but voted with him 69% (nice) of the time in the last Congress.

In fairness, since the new Congress took over he's only voted with the administration's position 5% of the time according to FiveThirtyEight, but this could be out of fear of a primary challenge more than anything else (and also Pelosi being far less likely to bring up conservative legislation).
https://t.co/GElPrpQOSU

Oct 25, 2017
Of course Airmen, flying a military plane, can just decide where to refuel and stay without anyone approving the flight or funds beforehand...

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Ah, so there are documents. How come he always denies stuff when there are documents?

I think back to something Cohen (I think?) said. When Trump tells these easily disproven lies, the point isn't that you believe him. The point is that you go along with his preferred reality.

And when we're in a moment where Republicans either fall in line behind the lie or resign, Democrats tut-tut on Twitter, and the news media calls him out for one news cycle before it's on to the next thing, going along with Trump's preferred reality is almost what happens.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Cuellar is Lipinski level bad, so I'm not surprised to see Warren backing Cisneros. I'd expect others to follow now.

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017
I think she also just endorsed Marie Newman against Dan Lipinski as well. Unless that happened a bit ago.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's really "headaches for the DCCC". Going after safe D seats doesn't hurt anybody, especially when they're not leadership and not reliable votes.

The DCCC wants to win. If there's a Democrat in that seat in 2020, they've done their job.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

More than two dozen current and former Liberty University officials describe a culture of fear and self-dealing at the largest Christian college in the world

"We're not a school; we're a real estate hedge fund," said a senior university official with inside knowledge of Liberty's finances. "We're not educating; we're buying real estate every year and taking students' money to do it

Not looking good for Trump's evangelical friend

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017
Dreamcast the goat.

I remember my best friend growing up got one on launch. As soon as we got it hooked up excited as can be, the power went out. It was absolute torture.

Around like 2009, 2010 i got a brand new one sealed from I think Thinkgeek for a hundred bucks. They out of nowhere had a bunch of stock I think they were the winning bidders on a warehouse full of em.

Which also reminds me 1999 as the year of my political awareness starting. Man that 2000 bullshit was terrible.

I have an autographed copy of Al Gore's "The Assault on Reason".

Last edited:

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I think back to something Cohen (I think?) said. When Trump tells these easily disproven lies, the point isn't that you believe him. The point is that you go along with his preferred reality.

And when we're in a moment where Republicans either fall in line behind the lie or resign, Democrats tut-tut on Twitter, and the news media calls him out for one news cycle before it's on to the next thing, going along with Trump's preferred reality is almost what happens.
I think the reality most voters are having to deal with (and why we saw such massive turnout in 2018) is that no, you can not just trust the system to ensure that everything will be fine, the only person who can truly hold Trump, Republicans, Democrats, whoever you want to blame at any given moment accountable is you.

There are no failsafes in the Constitution or law that prevents a total lunatic from assuming power. On paper, the Electoral College is supposed to do that, but in practice the electors are generally partisan hacks (for good reason), so no help there.

The only real line of defense for checks and balances are Congress, but voters gave Trump a Republican Congress to deal with initially, and partisan polarization has become too extreme to allow party members (on either side, the Democrats less so) to step too far out of line. There's a reason the only Republican Congressman to call for Trump's impeachment immediately dropped the party label. There's also the judiciary, but hey, guess what? That's been stacked with Republican appointees who will rubber stamp any Trump action that comes before them (Roberts nixed the Census question, but only because Trump wasn't subtly evil enough). The conservative majority on the Supreme Court? Appointed exclusively by Republican presidents who came into power after losing the popular vote, including Gorsuch whose nomination was stolen from Obama.

Ironically a lot of the time it was the nihilistic, faux-realist "both sides are the same, maaan" morons who were scrambling for anything to get us out of the specific jam of having Trump be our president, sharing articles in December of 2016 about how the Electoral College could still totally make Bernie the president, proudly boasting that congressional gridlock would prevent Trump from getting any super-conservative justices on the Court and that we could just flood their hotline to pressure them into making favorable decisions (which goes against, you know, the entire point of the courts being technically nonpartisan and insulated from populist concerns).

The truth is, for a long time politics was just something people put their blind faith into that our elected officials were working with our best interest at heart, and that it was something you could safely ignore outside of a few months surrounding the presidential election. This is especially true for the eight years during which Obama was president - liberals did not take Republicans seriously, sat out elections and watched as Republican governors and state legislatures ravaged public services state by state, because ultimately Obama held the veto pen and could prevent anything REALLY bad from happening. This also led to a lot of misplaced blame - I had liberal friends ask me in earnest why Obama didn't just demand Rick Snyder resign during the Flint water crisis, as if this was some unique power the President had and was simply choosing not to enforce. Or why he wasn't pushing for a constitutional amendment to ban Citizens United, something that even at the Democrats' peak of power under his presidency would absolutely not have passed. This mindset carried on through Clinton's candidacy - even if they didn't vote for her, liberals felt it was safe to assume that she would win the presidency and prevent bad legislation and judges from happening at the federal level.

If there is one silver lining of Trump's presidency, it is that it is exposing the limitations of our system, both in stopping crazy assholes from taking power and exploiting executive power to say, lock children up in cages as well as his ability to actually do anything. He signed an executive order on day 1 that "repealed Obamacare" and those same liberals were asking me if this meant that Obamacare was repealed. No, it doesn't, because the President can't just executive order away giant social programs. Just like how your lord and savior Bernie Sanders couldn't just sign an executive order giving everyone free healthcare and college, or bully Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell into legislating them if need be.

Of course, that's only a silver lining if Trump loses, but civic engagement remains the same. If Trump loses and everyone breathes a sigh of relief because thank God, that asshole is gone, I don't have to care about politics anymore and turnout drops to 30% in the next midterm and Republicans win everything so they can stymie the next president, the pain and suffering under Trump's term will amount to absolutely nothing.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Bibi is randomly producing documents again about a previously unknown Iranian nuclear test facility or some shit.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Teen Vogue wrote an article about Warren's efforts to get more women to run for office

Where other candidates may, out of necessity, have spent large sums on television-ad buys, Warren's reelection campaign didn't run any TV ads in her deep-blue state, and she still won her race with more than 60% of the vote. As Politico reported in December, Warren raised or donated $11 million to and for various Democrats during the last midterm cycle. While women were not the exclusive beneficiaries of Warren's midterm efforts, her operation took a particular interest in female candidates. According to FEC filings obtained by Teen Vogue, 68% of the federal candidates Warren's campaign donated to during the 2017–2018 cycle were women, and each candidate committee received the maximum $2,000 donation allowed by the commission. That focus on gender equality has followed her into the 2020 race. In August, Politico reported that Warren's senior staff for her presidential campaign, a majority of whom are women, are all paid the same annual salary.

Kind of works to undercut the "Warren's a bad candidate because she underperformed Clinton in her home state" narrative too - she did so because she wasn't even really trying, and a Senate race isn't going to attract nearly the same awareness a presidential campaign will.

Anyway, good on her. I hope this points to a President Warren who takes an active interest in candidate recruitment and success even during midterm cycles, as opposed to Obama who basically blew all of that off and just let 2010 happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.