• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
So the NYT posts a story saying Trump is making money directlyfrom th military and to deflect he tweets out this. Lmao

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I'd like to read analysis from experts on the logistics and realistic time frame for a transition to Medicare for All. I remain dubious that it can't be accomplished in 4 years.

One good remark I'll make about Harris is her LIFT Act. $500/month for every American earning $100k/year or less is pretty good. Technically, that's UBI, but of course it's no $1000/month that Yang proposes. It's a start.

So, the issue is multipronged. What Bernie is suggesting with M4A is a massive expansion of the Medicare program. There are millions of people who are going to be transitioning from one plan to another. That includes folks with long term health issues that you simply cannot rip away coverage without a transition period that would, out of necessity, be far longer than 4 years. You're talking about getting Medicare/Medicaid credentials for hundreds of thousands of new providers. (Dentists, optometrists, pediatricians, etc) who have never been in the Medicare/Medicaid system. There are also often credentialing issues with individual providers as well. You have to allow time to let providers get on the same page. You are also talking about displacing millions of workers in the span of 4 years. (That's everyone who works in the private health insurance industry.) The economy cannot take such a massive upheaval over such a short period of time. You also need time to ramp up non-medical providers too. Unless you're going to reduce benefits that folks on Medicaid get, such as non emergency transportation services, there isn't the needed volume of providers who can offer things like that. You're also getting rid of literally every other government healthcare service, except the VA. That isn't just a "flip the switch" type thing. You have to build reimbursement schemes for things Medicare/Medicaid don't currently cover. You have to build an entire prescription drug program from the ground up (there is Medicare Drug plan, they're all private.) You have to be able to negotiate rates with drug providers (something Medicare has never done) You absolutely need to modernize the way Medicare does things, because private insurers are leap years ahead of them in terms of technology infrastructure alone. You then need to be able to study how this is going to affect small, rural hospitals who cannot survive on medicare/medicaid reimbursement rates as they currently stand. You need to have the funds to implement the program. You need to get processes out to payroll/tax preparers. It's a massively complex program that is just not happening in 4 years. A poorly funded, poorly implemented, barely functioning program would do far more damage to the idea of a single payer system than an extra few years to actually make the thing workable.

I agree that 4 is probably too short, but we saw with Obamacare what happens with over-long transitions - people get scared and angry from the prospect of change, and then move to blow everything up before they see the benefits.

I think that getting a public option off the ground ASAP, then moving everybody to that over the course of like... 6 years would be good.
Now, this is more reasonable. Harris' plan actually allows a medicare buy in immediately, I think? I know there's something that is immediate. A public option in which you strategically expand, giving time for the systems in place to catch up to the growing demand...that's smart. That's totally fine. It's actually workable. But there is no way we can go from where we are now to Bernie's version of M4A in 4 years.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
did anyone really expect that bumbling fuck to make some sort of deal with the Taliban lmao

we're going to be in Afghanistan well into the 2020s. Shame.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
he's definitely lying about the Taliban coming to the U.S. for negotiations. I mean come on

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Warren has yet to define her healthcare plan though, besides generally allying herself with Bernie.
Right, and considering she's been running since January that seems both increasingly intentional and increasingly problematic. But I guess the broader point I was trying to make is that I think GE matchup polls are not very instructive predictors right now, especially when the Dem nominee has yet to go through the cycle of Republican demonization in a presidential election.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Right, and considering she's been running since January that seems both increasingly intentional and increasingly problematic. But I guess the broader point I was trying to make is that I think GE matchup polls are not very instructive predictors right now, especially when the Dem nominee has yet to go through the cycle of Republican demonization in a presidential election.
Honestly, it kinda feels like she might be trying to work out the details of something and can't get it quite right. Or wants to wait for a much bigger stage to do a reveal.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
M4A is too ambitious. I know that's not a popular opinion but it can't be achieved in a short span of time. I think a public option/buy in is what we need to do.

I really wish the ACA would have implemented Medicaid's expansion in such a way that forced the option for there to be a spend down, being a de facto public option of sorts. That way if you go over the income threshold you can still pay a portion if you want to keep coverage instead of being punted to the exchange which ranges from decent to shit (premium wise) depending on where you live. The plans themselves suck, Medicaid is so much better.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not going to be Medicare for All in the general. It'll be pared back to M4America most likely. It's a sensible change.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Rosa DeLauro's Medicare for America bill and/or the CAP's plan will probably be closest to what ultimately gets passed.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, it kinda feels like she might be trying to work out the details of something and can't get it quite right. Or wants to wait for a much bigger stage to do a reveal.
She's kind of in a conundrum. If her health care proposal ends up being largely the same as Bernie's, she's going to remain popular with progressives but may take a hit with moderates, and tie herself to an unpopular GE position. If her health care proposal ends up being along the lines of Harris' who had also generally allied herself with Bernie beforehand, she may risk alienating progressives. Bernie, after all, branded Harris' proposal as not actually being M4A.

It's very interesting to see where she lands, though I'm starting to wonder if she's maybe just going to fudge her way through this.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
So, the issue is multipronged. What Bernie is suggesting with M4A is a massive expansion of the Medicare program. There are millions of people who are going to be transitioning from one plan to another. That includes folks with long term health issues that you simply cannot rip away coverage without a transition period that would, out of necessity, be far longer than 4 years. You're talking about getting Medicare/Medicaid credentials for hundreds of thousands of new providers. (Dentists, optometrists, pediatricians, etc) who have never been in the Medicare/Medicaid system. There are also often credentialing issues with individual providers as well. You have to allow time to let providers get on the same page. You are also talking about displacing millions of workers in the span of 4 years. (That's everyone who works in the private health insurance industry.) The economy cannot take such a massive upheaval over such a short period of time. You also need time to ramp up non-medical providers too. Unless you're going to reduce benefits that folks on Medicaid get, such as non emergency transportation services, there isn't the needed volume of providers who can offer things like that. You're also getting rid of literally every other government healthcare service, except the VA. That isn't just a "flip the switch" type thing. You have to build reimbursement schemes for things Medicare/Medicaid don't currently cover. You have to build an entire prescription drug program from the ground up (there is Medicare Drug plan, they're all private.) You have to be able to negotiate rates with drug providers (something Medicare has never done) You absolutely need to modernize the way Medicare does things, because private insurers are leap years ahead of them in terms of technology infrastructure alone. You then need to be able to study how this is going to affect small, rural hospitals who cannot survive on medicare/medicaid reimbursement rates as they currently stand. You need to have the funds to implement the program. You need to get processes out to payroll/tax preparers. It's a massively complex program that is just not happening in 4 years. A poorly funded, poorly implemented, barely functioning program would do far more damage to the idea of a single payer system than an extra few years to actually make the thing workable.

Thanks for an explanation. That brought more clarity on the matter.

Kamala apologized on Twitter

What a rotten liar. Her reaction to that guy's statement was laughter followed by "well said." I hope this buries her. This is becoming a regular occurrence for her to lie or backpedal.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
She's kind of in a conundrum. If her health care proposal ends up being largely the same as Bernie's, she's going to remain popular with progressives but may take a hit with moderates, and tie herself to an unpopular GE position. If her health care proposal ends up being along the lines of Harris' who had also generally allied herself with Bernie beforehand, she may risk alienating progressives. Bernie, after all, branded Harris' proposal as not actually being M4A.

It's very interesting to see where she lands, though I'm starting to wonder if she's maybe just going to fudge her way through this.
She might be better off doing it that way. She might have built up enough clout with the electorate that she can get away with that for most of the primary.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would you want most of those Republicans to become Democrats? They are horrible human beings.
Because trading former Dems going to Trump for GOPers who are revolting against Trump is a positive trade? Like seriously, if you look at Trump and go "Nazis are just fine", that's a billion times worse than the ones completely put off by it.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I think it's intentional with Warren. M4A as a concept is very popular, in part because everyone just defines it however they want to and calls it a day. I don't think there is any damage from the left on being a bit vague on what your specific version of M4A is going to be. It's more damaging to go hard on something incredibly unpopular. I also think Warren is a bit of a realist. She's going to push for the most left policy she thinks she can implement. There's no value in trying to sell people on a pie in the sky never gonna happen thing, when you know it's impossible. (And no, this isn't saying don't want nice things. It's saying don't marry yourself to something that's literally not possible on the scale/timeframe arbitrarily imposed.)

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
She might be better off doing it that way. She might have built up enough clout with the electorate that she can get away with that for most of the primary.

What I was just about to say.

She's actually in a pretty enviable position. People are making the assumption that she's completely on board with Bernie's version of M4A, so why rock that boat and take heat before she has to.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Progressives should not give a fuck if the support goes from M4All to M4America. They'd just be hurting themselves.

Not that they've never been known to do that.....

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
As a person on the spectrum, this Kamala news upsets me so much. It's as close to a red line as I'll get with her. She's completely off my list for this and her godawful response to it too.
"I didn't hear it"
Really? Really?
Just very disappointing. Her response honestly makes it worse because she didn't own up to it. 😡😡😡

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Because trading former Dems going to Trump for GOPers who are revolting against Trump is a positive trade? Like seriously, if you look at Trump and go "Nazis are just fine", that's a billion times worse than the ones completely put off by it.

What I mean is, I'd rather a good number of them get primaried and never heard from again.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, the more I think about it, Taliban peace talks at Camp Freakin' David just gets more insane.

Like....worse than Kim Jong Un talks. It's crazy the steps this admin will go through. Especially when you compare it to how we treat someone we're not actually actively fighting or invading, like Cuba.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Kamala sure has trouble hearing things.
it's like she thinks we're stupid. it's beyond pathetic.
The thing that gets me is that...she should damn well know better how awful that word is by now. I mean I could see how she could laugh and then catch herself but nah, she goes for it. It's aggravating.
mans then she plays fucking stupid like we're completely incapable of understanding context.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Man, the more I think about it, Taliban peace talks at Camp Freakin' David just gets more insane.

Like....worse than Kim Jong Un talks. It's crazy the steps this admin will go through. Especially when you compare it to how we treat someone we're not actually actively fighting or invading, like Cuba.

I think the crazy thing here is that, once again, the only reason we have any idea that this meeting was a thing is because Trump blurted out something super top secret for twitter clout.

But, really, who knows what kind of shady meetings the President has taken in the past. This might be more normal than we think.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Kennedy clearly has tried to make himself look like a progressive darling over the past year, probably because he's been planning this for a while, but I still don't trust him at all.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
He managed to arrange and honest-to-god legit impressive diplomatic event and....................cancelled it. lol
Castro seems like he's running for VP at this point.
He's probably fine.

btw, for the record, I do admit to Bitch Eating Crackers the shit out of Bernie, but that's in addition to all the substantive crap I hate about him. That he likes the Patriots? Crackers. Eliminating private insurance? Magic revolutions and public pressure resulting in 60 votes? Less so.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha

Much worse, it was going to be done 3 days before 9/11.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Kamala Harris is a weird people pleaser when it comes to public events.
She laughs at her own punchlines before the joke, she can't control her hands, she laundry lists.
Despite comparisons being made earlier in her career, she's no Obama.

Subtext is everything in drama: What a character says is subordinate to what an audience intuits. With Harris, the visceral impression is of a pleaser — she is an inveterate dispenser of thank-yous to inquiring voters during Q&As — whose résumé suggests a toughness.

I think she did hear, I just think she would be loathe to correct anyone on the stump.

These theatre critic reviews are awesome and everyone should read them lol.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
If Trump was meeting the Taliban tomorrow at Camp David, first of all why, surely a visit to the Presidential retreat should be saved for after concessions were made, but second, that must mean the Taliban are already in the US today. Which Trump hotel are they staying at?

Status
Not open for further replies.