• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
We really doing this huh?

I'ma spill some tea. If this were Biden, most of y'all would be screaming for his head on a platter. Consistency, darling. Consistency.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Jesus just don't say the N word if you're White. People know what you mean when you say N word. I never bought the "it's ok if it's for a factual and historical impact or effect". Any effect you are looking for is lost because the people that really feel the word are Black people, not White people, and all they are feeling is a White person using it.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I think the reason for using it isnt awful but i wouldnt have done it

but im white as a lily so my opinion here is definitely not important

Assuming Bernie's intentions were good and that in its whole context it's clear and informative it's still going to tug at an issue he hasn't been able to shake which is his appeal to people of color and especially I assume, older people of color.

I doubt I'd ever use the word in text except by quoting someone - or maybe in fiction? Like if you're writing a klansman as a character it would be difficult to avoid.

Why's it come up today specifically?

This actually came up in my MA thesis.

A character, notably a fictional black NFL player, from Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk drops the slur with obvious vernacular changes (-er to -a) in a quote that was perfect for the close analysis I was conducting, but it definitely made me consider for some time whether to include it. I felt it was removed enough by being a quote, but when I presented the chapter in a truncated form for academic conferences where I, a white person, would have to speak it aloud I reconfigured the section for obvious reasons.

Of course, again, this is a quote of a fictional character and not me using the term. And even then I sweat that inclusion like crazy and always wonder whether it should have been included. I could not imagine going the extra mile of flat out using it in my own writing voice.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
I remember Boston Public having a very special episode with the N-word. And that was in 2001-2002.

There definitely were certain context in which the word could be publicly used at the time. And I believe using it to accurately demonstrate racism of that time was still valid .
Eddie Murphy did an incredibly homophobic show that was socially acceptable in the context of the 80s but is not now. Do you think that was okay? Lol.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I remember Boston Public having a very special episode with the N-word. And that was in 2001-2002.

There definitely were certain context in which the word could be publicly used at the time. And I believe using it to accurately demonstrate racism of that time was still valid .

Note, the episode was fictional and presented as a way to interrogate the term's meaning, rather than used directly by the writer or actor in their own musings.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
And also, no it isn't disqualifying or anything like that. But not every dumb thing this man does needs to be defended! It's okay to say "You know he's wrong and shouldn't have done that." I promise the world will not end. Everything will be okay. I promise.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
And also, no it isn't disqualifying or anything like that. But not every dumb thing this man does needs to be defended! It's okay to say "You know he's wrong and shouldn't have done that." I promise the world will not end. Everything will be okay. I promise.
Almost as bad as getting Mariah stans to admit she shouldn't have gone to Saudi Arabia.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
He's flawed like any other politician, but if you examine his overall message and platform, I think he's the best leader for the country to have at this moment and time. We need a person to represent the middle class and poor. I'm completely sick of politicians coddling with the rich, and that's precisely what Biden, Harris, and other candidates do.

(Not aimed at you in particular, but...)

Ugh.

Ugggghhhh.

You mean this whole time I've been vehemently against Bernie Sanders because I haven't looked him up?

You don't have to "coddle the rich" to have blinders to the Black. And unfortunately Bernie's gaffes seem to all fit this pattern.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, it's different. There's an excuse for everything with that guy. It's like his flaws aren't accepted as flaws, being Bernie and all.

They are not flaws that turn people away from voting for him, but that doesn't mean that they don't want him to self-reflect and make improvements. Flaws aside, he's still light years ahead from the competition in terms of policy and rhetoric. You can acknowledge that a politician has flaws, and still wanting to support them.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
She shouldn't have gone to Saudi Arabia.
giphy.gif

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Luckily, Biden and Bernie are both bad and we have far better options! So good work team, we all agree. Bernie and Biden are trash tier candidates. We did it.

Last edited:

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Also, Mariah should just like...not sing anywhere.
All tea.
The thousands of people flocking to see her disagree.

The kids still singing "Obsessed" ten years later - I heard it with my own ears today - disagree.

The hordes of people who stream "All I Want Christmas Is You," a veritable modern classic, disagree.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
The thousands of people flocking to see her disagree.

The kids still singing "Obsessed" ten years later - I heard it with my own ears today - disagree.

The hordes of people who stream "All I Want Christmas Is You," a veritable modern classic, disagree.
My children are also obsessed with Fortnite. There's no accounting for taste.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
All I Want for Christmas is You is legit the only Christmas song I skip everytime it comes up. No shade.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Mariah is still in excellent voice when she chooses.

That girls who can't hit two consecutive notes are getting high Pitchfork honors...the world would be so lucky.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Luckily, Biden and Bernie are both bad and we have far better options! So good work team, we all agree. Bernie and Biden are trash tier candidates. We did it.

Option. Singular. Warren is the only good alternative. The fact that all the others are polling at less than 10% tells you where the voters' head-space are at. This will simply come down to Biden, Bernie, Warren, and most likely Harris. Everyone else may as well drop out now.

Oct 27, 2017
It must be the weekend, the Mariah stans have emerged from their tastefully bedazzled cocoons to sip the sweet nectar of adulation for their Queen.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
All I'm going to say is that Mariah is still clocking your favs every Christmas while Arianna Grande is marrying crazy people and Jlo can't even get booked on wendy williams.

And well whitney lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.