• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017

Clip is from the audiobook of Bernie's memoir which was recorded and released in 2015 and the book is from 1997.

Why am I now just hearing about this?

Because there's nothing wrong with the sentiment?

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

It's the idea of creating an 'other' to place blame, so that people don't look at the real cause of their economic situation. Trump is doing the exact thing with his constant MS13 rhetoric.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Because there's nothing wrong with the sentiment?

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

It's the idea of creating an 'other' to place blame, so that people don't look at the real cause of their economic situation. Trump is doing the exact thing with his constant MS13 rhetoric.
This. I don't see the issue with that statement, it's accurate even if unpleasant,

cubanb

Oct 27, 2017
He also didn't use the full word to blast racism.He used it to excuse the southern white working class for being exploited.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I just now realized that edited CNN video he posted, is *pinned* to his twitter page. Confirming as if it wasn't already obvious to the entire world, this is literally the only thing he has cared about all week long. What an embarrassment.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017

9y1aWfS.gif

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Lol at restauranteurs being harmed by tipping systems. Tipping is shit.

The non shit world that has universal healthcare coverage and actual labour laws gets by without it fine.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Wait, I'm not in a place where I can listen to the actual clip.

Does Bernie actually say n****r?

(Also, the fact that I am without earphones and literally cannot risk playing that clip should settle that other dumb-as-folk debate raging on Twitter today.)

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I'm not in a place where I can listen to the actual clip.

Does Bernie actually say n****r?

(Also, the fact that I am without earphones and literally cannot risk playing that clip should settle that other dumb-as-folk debate raging on Twitter today.)

No, it's someone doing the audio book reading a line that says white workers were placated in the South by being told they were better than (insert word).

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the word was settled as being verboten in 1997 when used in a historical context that does not glorify racism.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
It only 'explains' racism as just economic anxiety, rather than glorifies it. Ahead of the curve.

I'm not black, so I don't really get to decide if it's okay or not tbh.

However he seems to have thought that racial animus is a symptom of economic distress for a long time then, even though study after study shows this isn't the case now.

Last edited:

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
People really going out of their way to discredit Bernie as much as possible is so telling about where some's motives are at. By people, I'm referring to the major media outlets and various influential people on Twitter with semi-large followers. It only reinforces my support for Bernie even further.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
I think the reason for using it isnt awful but i wouldnt have done it

but im white as a lily so my opinion here is definitely not important

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming Bernie's intentions were good and that in its whole context it's clear and informative it's still going to tug at an issue he hasn't been able to shake which is his appeal to people of color and especially I assume, older people of color.

I doubt I'd ever use the word in text except by quoting someone - or maybe in fiction? Like if you're writing a klansman as a character it would be difficult to avoid.

Why's it come up today specifically?

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Seriously, what is wrong with just settling with negros at worst?

Literally nothing would change if he just said black people. The point would remain.

He just doesn't need that with his primary history (namely with black voters)

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it matters what your intentions are if you're using a slur tbh if you're a straight white man. Especially one as loaded as the n-word. Just don't do it.

There's a scene in Dear White People where someone is singing along to rap. Reggie says don't use it. The guy says I'm not racist and would never use it at someone, why does it matter. Lol, not the point.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
People really going out of their way to discredit Bernie as much as possible is so telling about where some's motives are at. By people, I'm referring to the major media outlets and various influential people on Twitter with semi-large followers. It only reinforces my support for Bernie even further.
It's not really going out of the way to point out the many, many, many flaws he has.

But keep beating the "everyone's out to get him" drum I guess.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Seriously, what is wrong with just settling with negros at worst?

Literally nothing would change if he just said black people. The point would remain.

He just doesn't need that with his primary history (namely with black voters)
This is where I am.

There's no way you're going to sell me that the guy who famously Marched With King (you knew that, right?) Was being anything here but an edgelord. The "brave" white leader who's going to say IT just to show you that He's. The. Truth.

Spare me

(Ughhhh and you just KNOW Hillary was sitting on this, mad as hell.)

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming Bernie's intentions were good and that in its whole context it's clear and informative it's still going to tug at an issue he hasn't been able to shake which is his appeal to people of color and especially I assume, older people of color.

I doubt I'd ever use the word in text except by quoting someone - or maybe in fiction? Like if you're writing a klansman as a character it would be difficult to avoid.

Why's it come up today specifically?
People looking to discredit him. That's the only reason really.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
I mean again, not a black person. Full disclosure. Not sure if people defending use of the N word are. I think royalan is black and gay and a weird Kopmala stan.

The analogous to me would be if he said something like "the government and media didn't need to respond to AIDS because they convinced everyone that it was a f****t disease."

As a gay person... I don't think this would be okay... Even though I wouldn't assume malice.
And a straight person wouldn't get to handwave that away.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
There are not many flaws. Biden has many flaws.
lol no. Just...no. There are plenty of flaws.....but also every criticism of Bernie cannot be defended with "bu--b---buuuuuuu Biden/Hillary/Warren/Delany/Crooked Media/literally anyone else." That's not a defense. That's a cop out, and the same thing my children try to do. It doesn't work then, it ain't gonna work in politics.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Is it me, or does it seem like the people that support Bernie are especially willing to move goalposts to answer for his flaws. It's almost like they paint him as the person they want him to be, but not who he actually is.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Please, dahling...

There are plenty of flaws to go around!

He's flawed like any other politician, but if you examine his overall message and platform, I think he's the best leader for the country to have at this moment and time. We need a person to represent the middle class and poor. I'm completely sick of politicians coddling with the rich, and that's precisely what Biden, Harris, and other candidates do.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017

I remember Boston Public having a very special episode with the N-word. And that was in 2001-2002.

There definitely were certain context in which the word could be publicly used at the time. And I believe using it to accurately demonstrate racism of that time was still valid .

Status
Not open for further replies.