• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hot take: the small business exemption is bullshit.

It really shouldn't be a hot take, but yeah apparently because there is a law that says you are allowed to be a terrible employer then people are cool with saying it's all good.

It's also clear people have never been on the receiving end of employer fuckery keeping people out of full time hours so they don't have to provide benefits.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So folks working at smaller companies should just continue to get fucked. Got it. I work at an under 50 employer office. We have very good health insurance options. If you can't provide for your employees don't start a business.

You also don't seem to realize very few servers work full time hours at one establishment. Employers deliberately lock people out of benefits by limiting hours.

Most servers are running 2-3 part time gigs and have absolutely zero benefits, regardless of if they are working at larger chains or not.

So yeah it kind of makes sense servers want to protect their tips. Their employers fuck them at every opportunity.

So again, the servers and bartenders are not the issue. It's employers being assholes and inadequate government policy to stop them from being such assholes.
Tipping or no tipping has nothing to do with the small business insurance exemption issue. Or the lockout from hours issue. Those issues are separate.

Waiters will want to protect their tips regardless of insurance coverage because they actively benefit from the payout scheme regardless of whether it's provided or not because it's actively beneficial for them.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tipping or no tipping has nothing to do with the small business insurance exemption issue. Or the lockout from hours issue. Those issues are separate.

Waiters will want to protect their tips regardless of insurance coverage because they actively benefit from the payout scheme regardless of whether it's provided or not because it's actively beneficial for them.

If you can't see that the reason tipping is in place currently is because people in the industry need higher wages overall because they don't have the luxury of a decent base salary, insurance, or any kind of retirement I don't know what to tell you. It's all connected.

If you give them a structure that emulates most "real jobs" as people like to call them where you do get a decent wage, healthcare, and a retirement plan, then yes, most servers and bartenders would happily say sure we no longer need tips.

I'm not going to keep going around in circles on this but your logic here makes zero sense. You're saying the same thing as wages have nothing to do with tipping. Compensation is more than just wages.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you can't see that the reason tipping is in place currently is because people in the industry need higher wages overall because they don't have the luxury of a decent base salary, insurance, or any kind of retirement I don't know what to tell you. It's all connected.

If you give them a structure that emulates most "real jobs" as people like to call them where you do get a decent wage, healthcare, and a retirement plan, then yes, most servers and bartenders would happily say sure we no longer need tips.

I'm not going to keep going around in circles on this but your logic here makes zero sense. You're saying the same thing as wages have nothing to do with tipping. Compensation is more than just wages.
The reason we can't get rid of tipping is because waiters are the beneficiaries of the system and actively want to keep it in place. Under tipping structures restaurant owners, back of house staff and the economy as a whole are all worse off than under a normal compensation structure. Tipping has nothing to do with exemptions from mandated benefits. You can eliminate the small business exemption and it'll fix many of the coverage issues.

No, most servers and bartenders will leave for other jobs. We have repeatedly seen this happen- the change results in massive staff turnover as they can't compete with the tipped wages at other jobs. http://www.grubstreet.com/2018/12/restaurant-tipping-returns.html

Staff turnover becomes too difficult to manage.
"There's not a more important stakeholder to get right than our staff," Meyer told Eater in 2015. His tip-free model, called Hospitality Included, he said "is absolutely going to be a win for cooks. It's going to be a win for entry-level managers." By eliminating tips, Meyer suggested he would be able to free front-of-house staff from kowtowing to the whims of finicky customers, better protect them from racism and sexual harassment among diners, and give them a sense of financial stability, since they'd get paid regardless of how busy the restaurant was.

Meanwhile, by raising menu prices and thus revenues, the extra money would go toward higher wages for kitchen staff, who could start making $12 to $15 an hour at a time when the state minimum wage was $8.75.

But, it turned out, many front-of-house staffers were more concerned with making money than with maintaining the moral high ground. This February, Meyer admitted that he had lost 30 to 40 percent of his "legacy" staffers since 2015. (One Meyer employee told Grub last year that her wages dropped from $60,000 per year to $50,000 under the new policy.) While he insisted that the employees that replaced them "understand 'Hospitality Included' and are thrilled about it," added employee attrition in an industry where turnover is already 1.5 times that of the private sector average has to hurt.

"You just get a better, well-adjusted employee with tipping," said the anonymous Marlow Collective employee. "They're more focused and they get that instant gratification. Before we even announced anything, there was buzzing about a return to tips. People were like, 'Is it true, is it true?' And, yes, people were very happy."

Without widespread buy-in from other restaurants, it's just too easy for front-of-house workers to leave to make more money elsewhere. "About 40 percent of our servers were like, 'Hey, this is awesome, but I'm going to go to State Bird Provisions, where I can make 10 percent more,'" Vogler says. "And who doesn't want to make 10 percent more? They're not freedom fighters."

My logic is the economic logic of the situation. Your perspective is coming from the same "They aren't providing insurance so it's bad!" logic that leads to people criticizing WWE/AEW for not providing health benefits to someone making $200K+ a year. Waiters would likely support ending the small business exemption but will fight you tooth and nail on the tipping.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

YYbMTTE.gif

Collins retiring would be such a treat. Not as sweet as seeing her go down in flames in re-election, but I'd rather take the easy pick-up so Democrats could direct their resources elsewhere (North Carolina, Georgia and Iowa will definitely need it).

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
Not going to speak to his phrasing, but the Flood Insurance program needs to be fundamentally changed. We cannot keep paying for the same house over and over and over again. It is far cheaper and safer to give money to move then to repair or replace a house for, in some cases, the half dozenth time.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
The reason we can't get rid of tipping is because waiters are the beneficiaries of the system and actively want to keep it in place. Under tipping structures restaurant owners, back of house staff and the economy as a whole are all worse off than under a normal compensation structure. Tipping has nothing to do with exemptions from mandated benefits. You can eliminate the small business exemption and it'll fix many of the coverage issues.

No, most servers and bartenders will leave for other jobs. We have repeatedly seen this happen- the change results in massive staff turnover as they can't compete with the tipped wages at other jobs. http://www.grubstreet.com/2018/12/restaurant-tipping-returns.html

My logic is the economic logic of the situation. Your perspective is coming from the same "They aren't providing insurance so it's bad!" logic that leads to people criticizing WWE/AEW for not providing health benefits to someone making $200K+ a year. Waiters would likely support ending the small business exemption but will fight you tooth and nail on the tipping.

Calling this a "payout scheme" and implying that the servers themselves are orchestrating it is odd and insulting.

The situation you describe applies, really, only to New York or San Francisco. Two massive dining markets, to be sure- but you're ignoring the reality faced by the vast majority of restaurant workers.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
YYbMTTE.gif

Collins retiring would be such a treat. Not as sweet as seeing her go down in flames in re-election, but I'd rather take the easy pick-up so Democrats could direct their resources elsewhere (North Carolina, Georgia and Iowa will definitely need it).
I think it may actually be an easier pickup WITH Collins running. Maine is a wacky state that loves to be "independent". A new Republican candidate without Collin's baggage may actually be more competitive. I don't think she's an easy pick-up, but I think our chances lean towards favorable.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
I think it may actually be an easier pickup WITH Collins running. Maine is a wacky state that loves to be "independent". A new Republican candidate without Collin's baggage may actually be more competitive. I don't think she's an easy pick-up, but I think our chances lean towards favorable.

I was going to suggest the same thing, but I don't know much about the specifics of Maine politics.

Collins' popularity has absolutely plummeted, and from an outsiders perspective, she looks like a really beatable candidate.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Calling this a "payout scheme" and implying that the servers themselves are orchestrating it is odd and insulting.

The situation you describe applies, really, only to New York or San Francisco. Two massive dining markets, to be sure- but you're ignoring the reality faced by the vast majority of restaurant workers.
It's not only applying to NY/SF. I'm not saying they orchestrated it, I'm saying they actively benefit from it (even at lower income levels) and thus wish to perpetuate it. And this isn't restaurant workers as a whole, it's specifically waitstaff.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

Servers also aren't the ones who benefit most. Restaurant owners are.

Support staff, too. I know in every restaurant I worked in Philly, servers were expected to tip out kitchen staff and the bussers who worked out section, and those guys got more hourly than we did.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US

Support staff, too. I know in every restaurant I worked in Philly, servers were expected to tip out kitchen staff and the bussers who worked out section, and those guys got more hourly than we did.

Exactly. Focusing on the servers ignores the vastly more powerful owners, who also receive substantially more benefit from the status quo.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's not a benefit to have a fixed % of your restaurant's budget going to salaries.

The idea that tips aren't part of the cost of a meal is the error that leads to this conclusion. A tipped meal at $10 + $2 tip is a $12 meal in a no-tip world.

Bronlonius

Oct 29, 2017

This is why we're so fucked in so many ways. Bernie was a bit hangry or whatever, so because of that one experience, you'll reject everything he stands for policy-wise, and won't vote for him. Get over yourself and fucking grow up. You probably caught him at the end of another stressful day, but because of this no forgiveness attitude, you'll vote for someone else. Idiot.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
This is why we're so fucked in so many ways. Bernie was a bit hangry or whatever, so because of that one experience, you'll reject everything he stands for policy-wise, and won't vote for him. Get over yourself and fucking grow up. You probably caught him at the end of another stressful day, but because of this no forgiveness attitude, you'll vote for someone else. Idiot.
I'm an idiot I guess, because I like a lot of his ideas, and he completely 10,000% rubs me the wrong way. It's ok for a person's temperament to have an influence on whether or not you'd vote for them.

edit: This pertains to the primary. I'll vote for Bernie ten times as ten different dead people in the general election if it means we get rid of Trump.

Last edited:

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
This sort of thing you can't lose sleep over because it's going to cut all ways by election day. Moreover, who knows if that guy sticks to his guns once he cools down a little. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, maybe he doesn't vote for Bernie in the primary but votes for him in the general election.

Seriously, don't let this kind of anecdote get you down. Every candidate hears this thousands of times.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
It's not a benefit to have a fixed % of your restaurant's budget going to salaries.

The idea that tips aren't part of the cost of a meal is the error that leads to this conclusion. A tipped meal at $10 + $2 tip is a $12 meal in a no-tip world.
The thing that I don't think you're factoring in is earnings potential.

Can only speak for myself and people that I worked with, but nobody is going into a job to deal with shitty patrons, shitty bosses, often shitty conditions with wacky schedules and back-to-back clopens and no benefits for minimum wage or anything close to it.

Without tips, even above board establishments would have to pony up a lot more money to afford the quality staff they (good restaurants/bars) currently have.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean there's no way tipping is going to just be outlawed. People will still tip of they want to. The idea is to make it so that it isn't required because a job in the industry isn't such a piss poor job that it requires tips to make it at all even something worth doing.

My point is that restaurants should be expected to provide a competitive complete compensation package and the government needs to help by making parts of that a requirement (a higher baseline wage and some kind of benefits package, and they need to outlaw hour shorting by requiring restaurants to have at least 75% of their staff full time).

Improving overall compensation packages for various industries is a good thing. It isn't going to make tips go away and I don't see why it has to.

Oct 27, 2017
Hot Take from a certified floodplain manager:

Bernie is more right than wrong. All of our flood insurance dollars go to rebuild areas which will continue to be affected.

The real solution includes buy-outs of entire communities and encouraging the strengthening of state building codes through federal tax incentives to defray increased construction costs.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Not going to speak to his phrasing, but the Flood Insurance program needs to be fundamentally changed. We cannot keep paying for the same house over and over and over again. It is far cheaper and safer to give money to move then to repair or replace a house for, in some cases, the half dozenth time.

I get his point but his wording is awful and you just can't uproot entire communities. Shit, what are you going to do with PR? Evacuate everyone?

Bronlonius

Oct 29, 2017
This sort of thing you can't lose sleep over because it's going to cut all ways by election day. Moreover, who knows if that guy sticks to his guns once he cools down a little. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, maybe he doesn't vote for Bernie in the primary but votes for him in the general election.

Seriously, don't let this kind of anecdote get you down. Every candidate hears this thousands of times.

True, I get your point. It just reminded me of the old addage, "Republicans fall in line while Democrats have to fall in love." It seems that fickleness that has such a negative effect on so many things, that's what's frustrating. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I mean there's no way tipping is going to just be outlawed. People will still tip of they want to. The idea is to make it so that it isn't required because a job in the industry isn't such a piss poor job that it requires tips to make it at all even something worth doing.

My point is that restaurants should be expected to provide a competitive complete compensation package and the government needs to help by making parts of that a requirement (a higher baseline wage and some kind of benefits package, and they need to outlaw hour shorting by requiring restaurants to have at least 75% of their staff full time).

Improving overall compensation packages for various industries is a good thing. It isn't going to make tips go away and I don't see why it has to.

Has there been that level of federal involvement in labor regulation since the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938?

That's one of those things that only big city representatives would be able to feasibly support, seemingly, but I've never seen ideas polled.

Bronlonius

Oct 29, 2017
Hot Take from a certified floodplain manager:

Bernie is more right than wrong. All of our flood insurance dollars go to rebuild areas which will continue to be affected.

The real solution includes buy-outs of entire communities and encouraging the strengthening of state building codes through federal tax incentives to defray increased construction costs.

Same here, after browsing pictures of Dorian's destruction, I was struck with the thought of how many will rebuild in that same spot, only to repeat this tragedy over and over again. As (semi) smart humans, we need to being more proactive with regards to rebuilding in disaster areas. It won't be easy at all, but I thought Bernie's take on it was spot on -he's looking and planning for the future.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that I don't think you're factoring in is earnings potential.

Can only speak for myself and people that I worked with, but nobody is going into a job to deal with shitty patrons, shitty bosses, often shitty conditions with wacky schedules and back-to-back clopens and no benefits for minimum wage or anything close to it.

Without tips, even above board establishments would have to pony up a lot more money to afford the quality staff they (good restaurants/bars) currently have.
Thats the thing, the staff would be worse across the board. You'd have people who would have become waiters doing something else instead. Thats one of the bid macroeconomic downsides of tipping, it puts talented people in a job that doesnt do much for society.

Oct 27, 2017
Same here, after browsing pictures of Dorian's destruction, I was struck with the thought of how many will rebuild in that same spot, only to repeat this tragedy over and over again. As (semi) smart humans, we need to being more proactive with regards to rebuilding in disaster areas. It won't be easy at all, but I thought Bernie's take on it was spot on -he's looking and planning for the future.

Oct 25, 2017
"Dream Big, Fight Hard, Live Proud" is a pretty dope tagline.

On another note, local franchises around here have played with tipping. One local pizza chain was basically like, "we're raising prices by three dollars per food item on average to give our workers health care," and they did it, and they are still doing fine, and their staff is always cool and courteous.

One restaurateur around here, Tom Douglas, had a mandatory 20% gratuity on each bill at his restaurantsthat was clearly stated on the menu to be for providing the staff with health care and other benefits, but his restaurants ended that after about a year. I'm not sure why, but I guess that it didn't work so well. I wonder what the difference in implementation is between "we're making you tip twenty percent" and "we just raised our prices permanently" as far as making it successful for patrons, owners, and staff alike.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I do think it's fair to wonder how feasible is it for people to keep living on islands like PR and the Bahamas.

At least on the FL coast you can pretty easily evacuate to safer ground.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

What's super interesting about Maine being the first state to implement this is that they split their electoral votes by Congressional district (as you are aware). It's very possible that even if Trump wins the 2nd district, he'll do so by plurality (as Poliquin did last year).

In a scenario where the Democrat won Maine at-large and Maine's 1st district by majority, but either candidate winning the 2nd district by plurality, that will still result in ranked choice likely needing to be calculated statewide.

I see what you're saying, but the problem with Collins' "baggage" is that she used to be seen as a moderating voice in the Republican Party, but over the past few years has revealed herself to be a partisan hack. If someone just goes into the election as a partisan hack, their chances are probably about as good as Collins'.

However, her approval ratings are also pretty bad among Republicans, so I suppose a more standard Republican candidate could consolidate the party better. Not entirely convinced, though - I imagine if the election was held today she would still easily win about 90% of Republican votes, and she's going to be sharing the ballot with Trump so they'll have a reason to come out no matter what.

Oct 27, 2017
I get his point but his wording is awful and you just can't uproot entire communities. Shit, what are you going to do with PR? Evacuate everyone?

Not to be flippant, but PR won't exist in the same fashion by next century. PR was affected mightily in large part because building codes on the island are seen as suggestion and use materials that are not meant to withstand wind and flood loads. Concrete and CMU filled blocks are expensive and the average PR homeowner can't afford to build their homes elevated and hardened

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I think if we're going to talk about climate change in a realistic manner, then yeah, we need to have difficult discussions about whether people can/should live in areas that are going to be recurring disaster zones. It would both be cheaper as well as more beneficial for people in these areas to move to new locations that are not going to be repeatedly destroyed by the weather.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017

Actually, yes. We are literally going to have to evacuate entire countries in a few more decades. More capitals will be moved. Cities will have to be abandoned, if not forced by the government then they will die on their own as we see a great flight of money and resources from trouble areas. Towns built around certain economic interests that are susceptible to climate change (beach fronts, fisheries, etc.) are already experiencing this the world over and it's literally just going to get worse.
Extreme weather events are going to ramp up in intensity and frequency as our jet stream continues to get fucked and the Arctic melts down further.

Wet bulb temperatures are going to make even A/C pointless in many regions because as soon as you walk outside on a random summer day, thermodynamics gives you a reality lesson that your naked ape's ass ain't shit.

The sacrifices we'll have to do not only to survive, but to prevent the warming from going critical is going to involve a whole lot of relocation. Best to be upfront about it now than wait around and waste another 2 decades and watch as millions of innocent people die and suffer needlessly.

Oct 27, 2017
I have wondered for many years whether a scheme of Federal infrastructure grants given to rural communities in exchange for fast-tracking building permits for middle and low-income coastal residents who will be displaced, could work.

"Bumblefuck, WV--for every costal refugee you help to get building permits, or multi-family complex built to house folks retreating from disaster, you get $10K in federal grants for sewer, or roads or broadband connectivity."

The only question is how you get jobs to these places if corporate America isn't ready to flee the coasts

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

Are you seriously defending the WWE for illegally classifying their wrestlers as contractors? SERIOUSLY?

Great news. This is also in effect for the Senate, correct?

YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
"Dream Big, Fight Hard, Live Proud" is a pretty dope tagline.

On another note, local franchises around here have played with tipping. One local pizza chain was basically like, "we're raising prices by three dollars per food item on average to give our workers health care," and they did it, and they are still doing fine, and their staff is always cool and courteous.

One restaurateur around here, Tom Douglas, had a mandatory 20% gratuity on each bill at his restaurantsthat was clearly stated on the menu to be for providing the staff with health care and other benefits, but his restaurants ended that after about a year. I'm not sure why, but I guess that it didn't work so well. I wonder what the difference in implementation is between "we're making you tip twenty percent" and "we just raised our prices permanently" as far as making it successful for patrons, owners, and staff alike.

I actually like that more than the "I have a plan for that" stuff.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Is this a conversation we're having with purpose? Or is this to excuse Bernie's latest gaffe?

Because yeah, we're going to have to eventually talk about moving whole communities (often, poor communities) out of the path of natural and reoccurring natural disasters and weather phenomenon.

But, like, it's hardly unlikely that any of that is going to happen at a large scale within the window of, say, the next administration. So I don't know how this excuses Bernie's gaffe as anything but that?

Status
Not open for further replies.