• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

California GOP rep of CA-08 Paul Cook is strongly considering retiring and returning to local office

Last edited:

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not super impressed with the Beto playlist. Also smaller than I expected.

Lmao who the hell downgrades voluntarily like that

I mean if it's hell to be in the minority party in the House while Trump is president I can envision trying to make an exit. Better to be a big fish in a small pond than a small fish in a big pond and also the President is insane and you have to answer for every dumb shit he does.

access tv

Oct 25, 2017

Caucusing sucks, I get it, but like, is it worth creating another soft target for hackers? Why even consider this?

The virtual caucusing rules were developed in response to recommendations from the Unity Reform Commission, created to address the tension between delegates for nominee Hillary Clinton and challenger Bernie Sanders at the 2016 Democratic National Convention. Sanders delegates complained that the DNC favored Clinton and made participation difficult in caucus states.

Oh.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Wait...why did the Bernie people complain about caucuses in 2016? Literally, the biggest predictor of if Bernie would win something or not was "Is it a caucus." That's like....over half his wins came from caucus states. In fact, states that had both a caucus and a non-binding primary, Bernie exclusively did worse in every single primary...including some states where he won the caucus but lost the primary.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Wait...why did the Bernie people complain about caucuses in 2016? Literally, the biggest predictor of if Bernie would win something or not was "Is it a caucus." That's like....over half his wins came from caucus states. In fact, states that had both a caucus and a non-binding primary, Bernie exclusively did worse in every single primary...including some states where he won the caucus but lost the primary.
Their whole MO was just to cry 'rigged!' at every single thing. That's the problem in dealing with people who are convinced their candidate is the rightful king who could only be denied the throne by some external force.

And trying to placate them is a big reason why things are so ridiculously out of hand right now.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Ladies and gentleman, your next governor of Maryland.
Larry-Hogan-1.png

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Caucuses are literally the worst thing ever. There is no excuse to utilize them. They're undemocratic as all hell. People shouldn't be able to yell at each other to brow beat people into switching to another candidate. You shouldn't have to give up 9 hours of your life to go sit in a school gym in bumfuck Iowa (which is a fate worse than death imo). Thank god there are only 6 of them this cycle, and two of which are Iowa and NV which is whatever.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Biden is probably a weird fit for Iowa. Even though the state is pretty old, caucuses do tend to bring out the more motivated. If your sole reason for running is "I'll beat Trump" that's kinda a hard sell in a caucus state. My bae Warren though...

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Biden is only doing well with people who are not paying attention to the race.

This is a big problem for him.

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, MN state fair might be a bit different than what you have in mind. There's a pretty nice art building and other cool exhibits/buildings and pretty good music stages all over. It's huge and there's a ton of food variety. It's not a bad day out. Walked over 10mi today.
Also you guys have literally buckets of cookies right? Man I need to visit.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Failing NYT pouring one out for Climate Daddy.
The first paper addressed the three sectors of the economy — power generation, transportation and buildings — that together are responsible for nearly 70 percent of carbon emissions in the United States, and what must be done to clean them up. In the case of transportation, for instance, Mr. Inslee would mandate all-electric cars by the 2030 model year. The last paper, released only hours before his withdrawal from the race, dealt with agriculture and how farmers can improve land-use practices to reduce emissions from the soil. In between were detailed disquisitions on where he would invest $9 trillion over 10 years to retrofit older buildings, modernize the grid and build green infrastructure; how and when he would phase out fossil fuel production in America (beginning with a swift karate chop to hydraulic fracturing and all fossil fuel subsidies); how he would protect poorer communities and workers who lose their jobs in the decarbonizing process; how he would engage with the rest of the world to bring down global emissions.

If this sounds a bit like last winter's Green New Deal, it is, but with two very big differences: The Green New Deal was a 14-page congressional resolution full of lofty goals. Mr. Inslee puts substantial policy meat on an aspirational bare-bones outline. Second, unlike the Green New Deal, Mr. Inslee offers a compelling international component that basically reimagines American foreign policy by putting climate change at its very center, and by using all the tools of foreign policy — trade, aid, robust diplomacy — to reward countries that adopt ambitious climate strategies and punish those that don't.

Of course now it's time for a climate change only debate! And lots of threads about plans!

(No Editorial for that other guy who dropped out, lol.)

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Didn't the DNC vote to not have a climate debate, but there's still that forum? Or did I make that up.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Booty winning Iowa is potentially the most interesting outcome
I agree because then at least the Sanders people would go after him like you wouldn't believe blg league beautifully.

Didn't the DNC vote to not have a climate debate, but there's still that forum? Or did I make that up.

Still the forum. I'm not sure how to feel on the debate. Climate change is clearly an important issue. But so are voting rights. And so is income inequality. And so are abortion rights because I HATE children. I think it's weird to let activists dictate that you add debates covering specific topics. But I clearly want to hear them debate on climate change.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, obeying their corporate masters to prevent a highly constructive activity that will clearly advance discussion on the issue. 1 minute soundbites and 30 second responses are actually the best format for all issues.

Only $16 trillion will do!
Vote Jill Stein!

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Ya, like, climate change is important...but there is very little daylight between any of the candidates on it. I think a forum is fine, and single issue debates in a primary are rarely interesting or needed.

Oct 27, 2017
Ya, like, climate change is important...but there is very little daylight between any of the candidates on it. I think a forum is fine, and single issue debates in a primary are rarely interesting or needed.
Yeah, they all have unrealistic plans to mitigate climate change outside of Inslee and Booker. They are the only two dems seriously proposing the use of nuclear in a meaningful way. And there is literally no way to mitigate climate change in the immediate term without nuclear as the cornerstone of the plan.I

Billions will greatly suffer or die if we don't utilize nuclear power to fix this. Mark my words.

Status
Not open for further replies.