• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Z7HeRxU.png

She's running.

Oct 25, 2017
So you guys have to wait until next year to hopefully get the Democrats in...

Yeah, we don't have a parlimentary democracy here with VONCs and calls for GEs and fun stuff like that.

You lose a shot at running the executive, you gotta wait four years to get another chance.

There is some comfort in Democrats running the House and basically bringing any shit legislation to a complete stall. Trump will do more EOs that a President Warren (please God PLEASE) will reverse in 2021, and the Senate can put more judges on the bench (which President Warren will re-shape when she wins in 2021 to erase conservative gains in the judiciary PLEASE GOD PLEASE).

Other than that, Trump's kinda a lame duck.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know anything about American politics, but is it possible for the Democrats to call for a VoNC, and somehow get a general election? Even more so if Trump resigns?

Constitution dictates the term and chain of command. Once an election is certified there cannot be another one till 4 years after. If someone is removed the next in line takes over. Check out the premise of designated survivor to get a better idea. The implication is we as a country not just voted for the president but the entire line of succcesion with the VP and house/Senate leadership. They would take over as presidents following this line, and in turn would be able to pick their own line of succesions which would be voted on in the legislative branch. At that point they can choose to not run for office again for the next election but there is no 'call for a new election' mechanism in the US.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Constitution dictates the term and chain of command. Once an election is certified there cannot be another one till 4 years after. If someone is removed the next in line takes over. Check out the premise of designated survivor to get a better idea. The implication is we as a country not just voted for the president but the entire line of succcesion with the VP and house/Senate leadership. They would take over as presidents following this line, and in turn would be able to pick their own line of succesions which would be voted on in the legislative branch. At that point they can choose to not run for office again for the next election but there is no 'call for a new election' mechanism in the US.

So no concept of VoNC? Or is it only internal ?

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
So no concept of VoNC? Or is it only internal ?

There is no such thing as a Vote of No Confidence beyond it being a mere historical reprimand. The closest thing to it is literally impeachment, and that can only start in the house, and it can only be used for one in the line of succession at a time. There will be no new general election till the designated time it normally happens on.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for sounding thick, but does that mean that even the Republicans can't say that they no longer have confidence in Trump?

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for sounding thick, but does that mean that even the Republicans can't say that they no longer have confidence in Trump?

Trump isn't technically the head of the Republican party. The legislative branch has its own heads, and they are separate and distinct.

Theoretically, the Republicans in the House and Senate simply never have to do anything Trump wants them to do. And he, theoretically, never has to sign a piece of legislation into law.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Trump isn't technically the head of the Republican party. The legislative branch has its own heads, and they are separate and distinct.

Theoretically, the Republicans in the House and Senate simply never have to do anything Trump wants them to do. And he, theoretically, never has to sign a piece of legislation into law.

So even if he's impeached, it doesn't guarantee removal from office, and even if he is removed, the VP takes over automatically, and becomes President until the next election (unless he resigns for some reason etc).

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
So even if he's impeached, it doesn't guarantee removal from office, and even if he is removed, the VP takes over automatically, and becomes President until the next election (unless he resigns for some reason etc).
Yes.

First, the house decides whether to impeach someone. If a majority vote to impeach, then the person is impeached.
Once a person is impeached, the senate votes whether to convict. If a two-thirds majority votes to convict, then that person is removed from office.

If the president is removed from office, the first person in the line of succession takes office as president. The first person in the line of succession is vice president Mike Pence.

//===================

VonC does not exist as a concept. And Trump's standing within the Republican party is irrelevant to his current holding of his office.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Yes.

First, the house decides whether to impeach someone. If a majority vote to impeach, then the person is impeached.
Once a person is impeached, the senate votes whether to convict. If a two-thirds majority votes to convict, then that person is removed from office.

If the president is removed from office, the first person in the line of succession takes office as president. The first person in the line of succession is vice president Mike Pence.

//===================

VonC does not exist as a concept. And Trump's standing within the Republican party is irrelevant to his current holding of his office.

Thanks for the clarification.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I was but a child during the Clinton impeachment, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong. But even when impeachment articles are delivered to the floor there's still a period of debate, right?

If so, Thanksgiving might be great timing.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I was but a child during the Clinton impeachment, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong. But even when impeachment articles are delivered to the floor there's still a period of debate, right?

If so, Thanksgiving might be great timing.

Note to self: DO NOT attend Thanksgiving at in-laws' house.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Mittens fluff:

Jonathan Martin @jmartNYT

On @MittRomney's role in this moment - and what may be the final, most pivotal chapter in the Mitt-and-Donald saga

Trump's top allies recognize the threat Mitt poses and are unloading on him to scare off other Republicanshttps://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/26/us/politics/republicans-mitt-romney-trump-impeachment.html …

But having covered Mitt since 2006, i've never seen him so liberated.

Full Kristofferson mode: freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose

"I can't imagine being in the Senate or in any other position of responsibility and looking around to see who's with you"

After having turned from Trump critic to Trump supplicant in 2016, Mitt could have the last laugh in a new role: juror

And it's hard to miss his contempt for what he sees as Trumpian immorality. But what was striking this week was Mitt's irritation at his own GOP colleagues

He flatly told @mckaycoppins at @TheAtlanticFest that his GOP colleagues were muzzling selves about Trump to preserve their "position(s) of power" and said he was not "afflicted" w such tendencies bc he's "old and done other things"

8:54 PM - Sep 26, 2019

Buzzfeed did a bit yesterday:

Standing up to Trump has consistently proven to be an effective way to shorten your political career if you're in the GOP. Former representative Mark Sanford lost his primary to a pro-Trump candidate. Former senators Bob Corker and Jeff Flake choose to retire rather than face the uphill battle to reelection. On the other hand, Sen. Lindsey Graham flipped from fierce critic to loyal ally and is now more powerful than ever. Rep. Justin Amash, a longtime Republican critic of Trump's, has since left the party to be an independent and was subsequently removed from House committees.
Months ago, one House member from a firmly red district described feeling like the most wanted man in his state after he made a vote Trump didn't like.
"Trump has said he could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot someone dead and and not lose any supporters," said the member. "Well, if that happens I'd better be photographed stuffing a body into the trunk of a car, or my constituents will demand to know why I'm not supporting the president."
Romney acknowledges feeling shades of this as well.
"I think most Republicans in my state are irritated with me for not getting with the team," he said at the Atlantic Festival on Wednesday. "It's like, alright, he may be an SOB but he's our SOB. So why aren't you with the team? Talk about these things in private."
As recently as this week, the president continues to publicly call out Romney for not being a team player.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, the big irony in all this... is that Warren was the high profile progressive standard bearer, that everyone wanted to run in 2016 when Birdie was just an old man yelling in the Senate that no one was listening to.

If she had run in 2016, Sanders wouldn't even be a thing.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Defending the country - treasonous.

What Trump's doing - patriotic.

didn't know today was opposite day

To traitors, the patriots are treasonous.

Woooow, to hell with whoever busted out laughing when he suggested murdering the whistleblower(s).

What a world.

Ya know what? Overlooking the stochastic terrorism about this, fuck him. Laugh at him. Mock him TO HIS FACE. Let him know the glamour of "he-strong man who can destroy anyone in the room with threats or their points going unheeded" is shattered and he's doomed. NPD and GOP CYOA takes it from there.

We have had actual evidence of retaliation too on whistleblowers, even recently. Going through legal channels has led to FBI raids on your home and prolonged imprisonment under the guise of the Espionage Act, even thought you are being a damn patriot

Oh, someone's really not going to take the GRU/Roger Stone trial well at ALL.

Status
Not open for further replies.