• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a third way, and it's exactly what Schiff has laid out, which is you don't do all the things, but you do the other things that lend credibility to the Ukraine scandal, which I think is genuinely the worst of them all.

I think he basically put it like so.

1. Trump attempted to get Russia to provide him information on his opponent.
2. Trump obstructred justice over the investigation into whether or not he broke the law doing 1.
3. Trump attempted to get Ukraine to hurt the person who at the time was the leading candidate to be his opponent next year.
4. Trump and Barr (who was implicated in 3) conspired to prevent 3 from coming to light when a whistle-blower complaint threatened to blow the lid off the whole thing.
Yeah, as evidence in going after aspects of the Ukraine thing? Absolutely use them as evidence, show the pattern of behavior, etc.

Just don't put them in the damn articles you're charging on or you're gonna have the scattershot problem all over again. You can just charge him later!

OP
OP
Ogodei

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
EFZsMETX4AUuyi1

I learned how to write IC memos in grad school and yes, you do want to attribute everything (typically just to your sourcing method, like HUMINT or SIGINT)

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Yeah, as evidence in going after aspects of the Ukraine thing? Absolutely use them as evidence, show the pattern of behavior, etc.

Just don't put them in the damn articles you're charging on or you're gonna have the scattershot problem all over again. You can just charge him later!
Why not put the evidence Trump obstructed Justice into the articles? Why not include those charges? I mean it's already tied up with a bow, and it lends credence to the charges he should face with regards to trying to cover up the whistle-blower report.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why not put the evidence Trump obstructed Justice into the articles? Why not include those charges? I mean it's already tied up with a bow, and it lends credence to the charges he should face with regards to trying to cover up the whistle-blower report.
Because the public is dumb and full of terrors. "Keep It Simple Stupid" applies here- you have a potential knockout blow, just put everything into the single shot trying to leverage it against the GOP, rather than shotgunning it and risking some of the same issues that came up with Mueller's report.

On this note, we've got confirmation that Intelligence is now taking point on initiating impeachment over Judiciary. Which is good news if you think you want to limit the scope of the actual charges and also good news in general because Schiff>>>>>>>>Nadler when it comes to media.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Russian interference is the start point of all this, Ukraine is the end point. They are interconnected in that it shows a pattern of collusion, obstruction, foreign interference, election tampering and inter agency cover up.

You have to realize that the Ukraine thing got as big as it did because there was already some pressure on Trump and people had both eyes on Trump. Everyone was just waiting for the next big Trump fuck up to add on top of the impeachment pile... but we got something better.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Because the public is dumb and full of terrors. "Keep It Simple Stupid" applies here- you have a potential knockout blow, just put everything into the single shot trying to leverage it against the GOP, rather than shotgunning it and risking some of the same issues that came up with Mueller's report.

On this note, we've got confirmation that Intelligence is now taking point on initiating impeachment over Judiciary. Which is good news if you think you want to limit the scope of the actual charges and also good news in general because Schiff>>>>>>>>Nadler when it comes to media.

Schiff should take point on this, since he's been on point since before it was even really a story.

Gotchaye

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with shoving everything into articles of impeachment is that you make things a lot easier for people who want to defend Trump. They can pick the two or three least indefensible things to talk about and then assert that the rest is just as flimsy.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The problem with shoving everything into articles of impeachment is that you make things a lot easier for people who want to defend Trump. They can pick the two or three least indefensible things to talk about and then assert that the rest is just as flimsy.
Those people will do that anyway. They're already trying that stuff: "not a whistleblower", "not in the room", "is a democrat", etc.

Aside from showing a pattern of obstruction, the earlier counts of obstruction are already very well researched but they never got a light shone on them. Add those to the list and those fabled "swing voters" (not the ones NYT interviews) will see this is not just a one-off thing.

VISION

Oct 25, 2017
It's a nine page document I read in <10 minutes before work this morning.

How the fuck are you gonna say you ain't read it? I read it before work, but it's your actual job.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017

Fantastic news. Nadler has shown hes completely unprepared for the optics and public theater of impeachment.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I think there's a third way, and it's exactly what Schiff has laid out, which is you don't do all the things, but you do the other things that lend credibility to the Ukraine scandal, which I think is genuinely the worst of them all.

I think he basically put it like so.

1. Trump attempted to get Russia to provide him information on his opponent.
2. Trump obstructred justice over the investigation into whether or not he broke the law doing 1.
3. Trump attempted to get Ukraine to hurt the person who at the time was the leading candidate to be his opponent next year.
4. Trump and Barr (who was implicated in 3) conspired to prevent 3 from coming to light when a whistle-blower complaint threatened to blow the lid off the whole thing.

This.

Trump has done so much impeachable shit that trying to nail him on all of it would take way more time than we have, and present a muddled mess to the public.

The Ukraine scandal situation is such a big deal, not just because of its own severity, but because it ties together so many other things he's done. It's the anchor from which you'll thread a narrative.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
Schiff is also really good at this shit. I'm ok with him being in control.

Yep, helps he is also a former federal prosecutor (Who specifically had most of his work prosecuting federal employees for international misconduct). He has the right temperament and focus. I just hope he is ready for the circus that is coming his way, before it was more evenly spread if not directed at Nadler only, he needs to be ready for the pressure privately and publicly that is almost certainly coming.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
This shouldn't even take a month. Get the tape and if the Whitehouse gets in the way impeach on obstruction and what's known about the call. There is no need to drag this out.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And people question why lead poisoning lowering IQ and impulse control would lead to higher crime rrates.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017

Hillary, sweaty. Now's not the best time.

Where's the lie.

Also, if I was an amoral, opportunistic, piece of shit Republican (and since I'm a capitalist you know basically already true), I would also go with "Didn't read it." It's not a good look, but it's sure as hell better than "Very cool. Very legal." Because it's not those things. Plausible deniability baby.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Illegitimate President, illegitimate judicial appointments. If, in the extremely unlikely scenario in which Trump is removed, I wish Dems would argue that the stooge judges he appointed should also be removed.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
GOP: If you ignore it does it really exist?.
More like: DIDN'T READ LOL

Yep, helps he is also a former federal prosecutor (Who specifically had most of his work prosecuting federal employees for international misconduct). He has the right temperament and focus. I just hope he is ready for the circus that is coming his way, before it was more evenly spread if not directed at Nadler only, he needs to be ready for the pressure privately and publicly that is almost certainly coming.
I think he can do it.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Watching PBS newshour and got spooked by Kellyane Conway, shes looking like grim death more than usual days holy shit. Haven't seen her in months and not sure why they're having her on at all, it's just all lies

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I just cannot understand why Kellyanne's gay lets her out the house with her hair looking so damn thirsty.
I've seen less thirst at the club on jock night.

Status
Not open for further replies.