• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
He's either trying to save his own ass or he knows it's a nothingburger.
I firmly believe it to be the former.
Look, I get people fearing the second part of it, but Mitch has complete cover here, and this shit was coming out one way or another. It's best for Mitch to look like he's just trying to get the truth out there, then to aid whatever spin the GOP want to give it to minimize it. He cannot afford to be part of a cover up because that just makes the cover up even harder to overlook.

And while I fear the cover up will get lost in all this, it shouldn't. This should have been provided to congress. The executive branch and justice department should never have tried to block it.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
So uh...what exactly is happening with this Ukraine stuff?

Like...I thought that was a nothingburger from the title so I didn't pay much attention to it.

But this is the thing that's triggering impeachment?!?

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mitch might actually just be in a hurry to get the info to his people so they can spin cause they dont know themselves.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Devil's Advocate: The WH assured McConnell it's a nothingburger
(They could be lying to him and its backfiring)
I think the calculus for Moscow Mitch is this:

Nothingburger:
- Releasing it is the obvious play for obvious reasons.

Somethingburger:
- It's going to come out eventually, and it's bad for Mitch to be on the "protecting the president" side
- If Trump keeps his base's support, he can still block a vote in the Senate
- If Trump loses his base's support, Mitch can dump him asap and GOP can try to find a replacement candidate before it's too late

Blocking it puts him in a spot where he doesn't have flexibility.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
So um, this is almost assuredly a stupid thing to ask but the Dems must have done their homework already and made sure that the whistleblowers claims aren't just lies right? Because that would be... suboptimal.
This is exactly why you can't just pin every hope on Ukraine. This has to encompass all of his actions.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
So um, this is almost assuredly a stupid thing to ask but the Dems must have done their homework already and made sure that the whistleblowers claims aren't just lies right? Because that would be... suboptimal.

It doesn't actually matter at this point -- they're blocking the complaint from getting to Congress, which is itself illegal.

If Congress doesn't stand up for itself over this then he's a king and we can stop pretending this whole democratic "experiment" is still ongoing.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
So uh...what exactly is happening with this Ukraine stuff?

Like...I thought that was a nothingburger from the title so I didn't pay much attention to it.

But this is the thing that's triggering impeachment?!?
I guess since he's president now and there's actually proof, it looks worse than the Russia thing.
Basically he threatened withholding aid from the Ukraine unless they came up with oppo on Biden.
so it's like minimum 2 laws broken there lol

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Dems pushed to call for impeachment, turns out there is nothing there. The publics trust in democrats diminishes.

"Haha, stupid dems are so desperate to impeach that they tried to impeach him over a real whistleblower complaint that was flagged by a Trump appointee as legit and then was illegally withheld from them! Get owned libs, lmao!"

Even if there was nothing there, the administration refusing to follow the law and pass the complaint along is still really fucking bad.

Jun 6, 2019
Honestly what the fuck does this mean?

it means that the GOP needs this out there so they can spin it. Like the Mueller report.

They're gonna send somebody with authority out there (like Barr) and be like "see! nothing? Definitely not a high crime or misdemeanor. The president is just worried about corruption. He is the most anti corruption president in our history. Also, that whistleblower is a partisan hack!"

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
By the way I have been for impeachment since the very beginning so even if this is a setup or whatever it's still the correct thing to do.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
My grandfather kept an old copy of the local newspaper here dealing with the story when Clinton went through his impeachment and said to keep it safe because this may never happen again in my lifetime.

Well.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Mitch being down for this is making me do the rocks eyebrow. Surprised this is the thing that gained traction

Edit: just saw the post above me come in

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
Dems pushed to call for impeachment, turns out there is nothing there. The public trust in democrats diminishes.

Except there is no way that is the case. The whistle blower complaint can and will likely be the largest leveraging factor, but we now have on record the president of Ukraine corrobarating the story (and believing it to be extortion when he heard the suggestion from Trump). Trump and Giolliani all but admitted to doing it. The only real concern are minor but crucial details in other parties and the timeline leading to these events. This isn't smoke, we are witnessing the fire and the arsonists leaving the scene shouting their names.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why some are wondering why it is this that is changing things. Just based on what we know now, before anything else comes out, makes this 100% impeachable and all around ridiculously corrupt. And compared to the Russia stuff it is really easy to get your head around - Trump tried to coerce a foreign power into investigating an American citizen who also happens to be a political opponent.

Oct 27, 2017
Ohhhh the report doesn't go public? That makes it much more likely it's bad and McConnell's covering his ass / ripping off the band-aid.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I want to take a moment to give acknowledgment and praise to a True American Hero. A bold, fearless woman whose anointed voice and moral clarity has led on this issue for years, and continues to distinguish her from her peers.

Ef9S5gd.jpg

This is for, Miss Maxine.

Status
Not open for further replies.