• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be interesting when the senate passes a resolution to condemn the terrorist threat of Antifa when a masked hoodlum puts a flaming bag of dog shit on Tom Cotton's front porch

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
mC7NVH0.jpg

FUkfn6R.jpg

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Cornyn posted that article with no comment at all? That's not even a dog whistle, it's blatant.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
How could it ever happen though? We can't even make progress on background checks. Any kind of liability insurance would have more stringent requirements and background checks that anything that could be legislated in the near future so it's effectively putting the same requirements on gun ownership which Republicans and the NRA will fight against until death.

Guns are legally required to be registered to the owner. Getting caught with an unregistered firearm on you by the police usually results in a very bad time, and refer to the prior conversation on straw purchases- buying a gun under your own name for someone else who can't is illegal in all 50 states.

Use the current registration database, require all current owners to carry insurance and a yearly registration fee, as we do with automobiles. Assault rifles and similar that have no practical home defense or hunting purpose would carry VERY high fees and premiums. Choose not to pay? Then the feds treat you as they do people that don't pay taxes to the IRS- seize your tax returns, hit you with additional fines, liens, and penalties, or revoke your ability to legally register a firearm or open/concealed carry.

It's probably not going to be a huge deterrent for the person who keeps a handgun for home defense or a couple of rifles to hunt deer. The nutcase that likes to stockpile 40 or 50 assault rifles because he doesn't trust the government or thinks hispanics are invading? Different story.

The average American gun owner owns three guns, according to a 2015 survey conducted by Harvard and Northwestern University. More than a half of them own just one or two, whereas 14% of them–7.7 million or 3% of the US population–own anywhere between eight to 140 guns. This 3% of the population owns half of the civilian guns in the US. The police found 47 guns associated with Paddock in three different locations two days after the massacre, which puts him among the 3%.

The "Paddock" refers to steven paddock, the dude that carried out the Las Vegas massacre. If you eliminate or discourage that 3%, you solve a lot of the problem.

This isn't rocket science. If not for Republican obstruction it could be done in a week. As for the NRA, the NRA will fight against LITERALLY EVERYTHING that hits their profit margins "to the death." Their objection is not a reason to refrain from implementing reforms. They will never, ever honestly come to the table for common sense reform.

Last edited:

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru

John Delaney @JohnDelaney

There are many things we need to do on gun safety, including requiring liability insurance to own/purchase a firearm (like we do to own a car). It would probably cost an average hunter $5 a year, but if you have a history of hate crimes it would be cost prohibitive. Commonsense.

12:39 PM - Aug 4, 2019

southpaw@nycsouthpaw

when you truly, deeply, madly love insurance https://twitter.com/johndelaney/status/1158054934765539330 …

2:29 PM - Aug 4, 2019

#DropOutDelaneyChallenge

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Trump talking right now to reporters after stepping off the plane.

Says he's doing a statement tomorrow. Blamed mental illness.

Oct 26, 2017
Keywords. Part of larger legislation. It isnt the intention to stop or reduce gun crime. Its to pass the blame to the weaker lobby.

I agree the video game lobby is far weaker than the gun lobby. However, way more Americans own a video game console or handheld than they do a gun. Also videogames are far more ingrained and legitimized in our society among adults than 20 years ago. The GOP is going to find it to be massively unpopular if they try to ban or restrict games from adults.

Like I said, I'm in favor of restricting extreme violent games from children in the same way there are laws restricting cigarettes and alcohol from children. But it would need to be a part of a larger gun control legislation and not some scape-goat bill for the NRA. if the GOP really want to take on video games as the reason for mass shootings, they're going to find themselves even more unpopular among millennials over the next decade. So let them die on that hill.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Kind of amazing that in the wake of 2 mass shootings the president declined to make a statement and just fucked off to play golf

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I agree the video game lobby is far weaker than the gun lobby. However, way more Americans own a video game console or handheld than they do a gun. Also videogames are far more ingrained and legitimized in our society among adults than 20 years ago. The GOP is going to find it to be massively unpopular if they try to ban or restrict games from adults.

Like I said, I'm in favor of restricting extreme violent games from children in the same way there are laws restricting cigarettes and alcohol from children. But it would need to be a part of a larger gun control legislation and not some scape-goat bill for the NRA. if the GOP really want to take on video games as the reason for mass shootings, they're going to find themselves even more unpopular among millennials over the next decade. So let them die on that hill.
The argument against video games is null. States with strong gun control have less mass shootings, in some cases next to zero. All have the same access to video games. As do Canada and Europe and all the other places where it almost never happens.

But they don't really care about stopping them. The GOP only blame other stuff to change the conversation. They aren't going to actually do anything.

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017
I will walk on coal fire and glass and vote for marianne. i am done with this. I am tired. It must end.

edit: I am so angry

Jupiter IV

Jan 6, 2018
Guns are legally required to be registered to the owner. Getting caught with an unregistered firearm on you by the police usually results in a very bad time, and refer to the prior conversation on straw purchases- buying a gun under your own name for someone else who can't is illegal in all 50 states.

Use the current registration database, require all current owners to carry insurance and a yearly registration fee, as we do with automobiles. Assault rifles and similar that have no practical home defense or hunting purpose would carry VERY high fees and premiums. Choose not to pay? Then the feds treat you as they do people that don't pay taxes to the IRS- seize your tax returns, hit you with additional fines, liens, and penalties, or revoke your ability to legally register a firearm or open/concealed carry.

It's probably not going to be a huge deterrent for the person who keeps a handgun for home defense or a couple of rifles to hunt deer. The nutcase that likes to stockpile 40 or 50 assault rifles because he doesn't trust the government or thinks hispanics are invading? Different story.

The "Paddock" refers to steven paddock, the dude that carried out the Las Vegas massacre. If you eliminate or discourage that 3%, you solve a lot of the problem.

This isn't rocket science. If not for Republican obstruction it could be done in a week. As for the NRA, the NRA will fight against LITERALLY EVERYTHING that hits their profit margins "to the death." Their objection is not a reason to refrain from implementing reforms. They will never, ever honestly come to the table for common sense reform.

My point is that if we can't even improve background checks, there's no way we're going to be able to make insurance a requirement because the insurance companies are going to have pretty serious requirements because they don't want to be on the hook for millions of dollars when a "nice white male that we never thought could commit such a horrible act" goes out and kills a dozen people.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Any time someone does something terrible that Trump says is terrible, but you know he actually agrees with, he calls them brilliant.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
My point is that if we can't even improve background checks, there's no way we're going to be able to make insurance a requirement because the insurance companies are going to have pretty serious requirements because they don't want to be on the hook for millions of dollars when a "nice white male that we never thought could commit such a horrible act" goes out and kills a dozen people.

We require people to carry liability insurance for automobiles. Do you want to look at the raw numbers of how many people die of automobile accidents every year? Why are insurance companies willing to be "on the hook" for the 35,000+ that die in auto accidents every year?

Even in the worst case scenario you're never going to have a fraction as many mass shooters as you do drunk drivers killing people. Yet, insurers happily offer liability insurance, and it's not even that expensive. Your objection doesn't hold up.

Oct 26, 2017
This is absolute nonsense and I hope you KNOW it's absolute nonsense. What the hell

No, I don't think it's nonsense. I've been playing video games since I was 6 years old, but I also have children myself. There are certain games which I think should be completely restricted from younger kids and not just a "parental guidance suggested" label of rated "M". They're a lot of dumb parents that use video games as babysitters and have no idea what's going on with the games. I'm not sure if there's any real connection between violent video games and mass shootings, but just from a brain development and mental health standpoint, I don't think young kids should be playing games with photorealistic extreme gore and violence before their brains are fully formed. The same reason we don't give alcohol and cigarettes to young kids.

You as an adult, it would not affect what games you play. You can buy whatever you want. It would just restrict and hold the parent responsible if young children play ultra violent games. Again, the same way we do alcohol. How is that nonsense? Any parent is welcome to debate me on this. If you don't have kids though, then I'm going to assume you're going to struggle to comprehend my point. The video game market has matured. There's games for adults and there's games for kids and general audiences. We need to recognize that beyond just a voluntary rating system.

Having said that, I'm *not* really comfortable having a discussion about video game violence right after a mass shooting because it can ignore the big elephant in the room, which is the lack of gun control in our country. But I think everyone on this forum knows we need gun control so I'm not trying to dissuade that obviously, I'm just trying to broach a little bit of an uncomfortable subject that has some merits on its own (kids playing ultra violent games) in the spirit of trying to identify holistic things we can do to get us out of this mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.