• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
There are many many more people desperate to get off Mr Trumps Wild Ride by any means possible than there are those who are content to just stay on because they're feeling largely indifferent.

Also no ones actually indifferent. Anyone who claims they're indifferent or just going with the flow is a Trump supporter who just doesn't want to admit it. So again who cares what they think.

This is a zero sum game.

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if a president under 50% throughout his entire term and presiding over a decent economy cannot seem to maintain good approvals while running for reelection, that's a problem (for him).

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
As made recently famous in the Ken Burns documentary the majority of the public supported the National Guard for the Kent State massacre.

As a Kent State alumnus, the University does (or did, I was away from campus after 09) a great job of memorializing and paying tribute to the shootings but they really don't point out the fact that the public didn't give a shit.

When I read Nixonland, everything sounded so familiar and in some ways worse.

What a lot of people don't understand about the Vietnam era and Boomers is that young people were overwhelmingly supporting the war and were overwhelmingly conservative. The hippies and protestors were the minority. Boomers were more conservative than their parents even back then.

I just finished Before the Storm (Nixonland is on hold at the library), and it's both shocking and totally obvious that Goldwater in 64 had a shitload of support from teen and college groups. After all, every generation has to rebel against something, and by that point they had never known a society that didn't believe in the government to solve problems (even under Eisenhower), so there was a nascent groundswell being influenced by the Hannitys and Limbaughs of the day.

Perlstein's trilogy is part of an on-going reading project that also included Days of Rage, which should be mandatory reading for people who think we're worse off now, and that new book about the Democrat implosion under Kennedy and Carter in the late 70s.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate that boomers who hate government grew up with the ideal GOP President in Eisenhower, who gave us the highways and warned against the Military Industrial complex.

What the fuck happened?

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What a lot of people don't understand about the Vietnam era and Boomers is that young people were overwhelmingly supporting the war and were overwhelmingly conservative. The hippies and protestors were the minority. Boomers were more conservative than their parents even back then.

Yeah, the Millennials' are the first generation to be as left wing as people always assume young people are.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
I hate that boomers who hate government grew up with the ideal GOP President in Eisenhower, who gave us the highways and warned against the Military Industrial complex.

What the fuck happened?
The Southern Strategy and appeals to white supremacy after politics divided along civil rights?

But you were probably being rhetorical.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
I know people like to say the late 60s was way worse and more divided than today, but the late 60s did not have the modern Internet and all the social bubbles it created.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What the fuck happened?

if-you-can-convince-the-lowest-white-man-hes-better-37392472.png

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
You can also talk about how weakening unions removed racist white people's reason for voting Democratic.

But it's all tied together.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I know people like to say the late 60s was way worse and more divided than today, but the late 60s did not have the modern Internet and all the social bubbles it created.

It's because of modern media and social media that we know when horrible things like black churches being burnt down or Nazis rallying somewhere happen and a response can be organized against such things so that they happen a lot less. Back in the day those things just happened in parts of the country. It was a way of life that the local Klan all regularly met up to intimidate a black neighborhood or firebomb a black church and the news of it never went further then the next county over because why would it, that's just how things were. Violent racists didn't need to hide in internet bubbles, they were all down at the local Elks club for the Sunday pancake breakfast.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can also talk about how weakening unions removed racist white people's reason for voting Democratic.

But it's all tied together.
Reagan supported amnesty for undocumented immigrants both because he was legit to the left of the modern day party on the issue, and because he knew that he'd benefit politically from Dems voting for it.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's because of modern media and social media that we know when horrible things like black churches being burnt down or Nazis rallying somewhere happen and a response can be organized against such things so that they happen a lot less. Back in the day those things just happened in parts of the country. It was a way of life that the local Klan all regularly met up to intimidate a black neighborhood or firebomb a black church and the news of it never went further then the next county over because why would it, that's just how things were. Violent racists didn't need to hide in internet bubbles, they were all at the local Elks club for the Sunday pancake breakfast.

This is a good point I hadn't really thought about. All kinds of mass murders probably happened even and cops just covered it up in the south for decades.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reagan supported amnesty for undocumented immigrants both because he was legit to the left of the modern day party on the issue, and because he knew that he'd benefit politically from Dems voting for it.

He was smart in understanding that the more hard workers you have the better economy you have, but he also shot that concept in the foot with trickle down.

Rich GOP folks can't seem to understand that of workers are paid better it helps everyone's bottom lines. They just hyper focus on their own personal immediate bottom line re taxes.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017

What the fuck happened?
We end up idealizing Eisenhower because we are so far removed. Don't forget while he did a lot of good, he was also convinced atheism was a communist conspiracy.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We end up idealizing Eisenhower because we are so far removed. Don't forget while he did a lot of good, he was also convinced atheism was a communist conspiracy.
I mean no one is perfect, and while still a bad idea to have compared to all the GOP presidents we've had after(and some Dem one's) he's a Saint.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Ike was a Cold Warrior but he did come into office while Stalin was still in power so some of that can be understood.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I know one thing, I had BETTER see a Kamala bump in the next series of polls because she is having a moment with this Barr testimony.

Queen Warren is giving us Progressive Policy like nobody else.

Queen Harris just gave a masterclass on how to snatch a fuckboy's soul in 8 minutes.

I stan only Queens.

Status
Not open for further replies.