• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
You know, for all of you demanding evidence, I'd also like to see some polling that not impeaching would depress Democratic turnout. I think Trump being on the ballot and being... himself will keep the negative enthusiasm strong.

I'm not too concerned about the polling right now. That the majority of Americans already believe that Trump has committed crimes tells me that those numbers can be changed if a case is made. Democratic leadership doesn't even want to make the case. This is like playing a game of Mario Kart and throwing down the controller before the light hits green.

And we already saw something like this with Kavanaugh. Even though we KNEW it was pointless, even though we knew he would be seated, Democrats were unified and loud AF. We FORCED people to watch Republicans give that man an undeserved seat, and then we watched that fire up voters for 2018.

This...fires nobody up.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
You know, for all of you demanding evidence, I'd also like to see some polling that not impeaching would depress Democratic turnout. I think Trump being on the ballot and being... himself will keep the negative enthusiasm strong.

Yep, millennial voter turnout was at a record high during the 2018 midterms; midterms are known for having a depressingly low turnout.

I expect the high voter turnout for the 18-35 age demographic to continue, especially when Gen Z is eligible to vote.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I think the point here is that there is no guarantee of any outcome, or even a strong indicator either way. We're in uncharted territory.

With that in mind, I think it's best to do the Right Thing and fight for the rule of law, rather than cower in fear and pray for things to go well.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Mueller has given all the info he can/will. Bringing him in and just having him repeat the same things, then say "I can't answer that, or I can't speculate on that" over and over helps nobody.

If you're going to go after anyone, it should be folks like McGahn and the like.

Meuller said nothing new today and yet it has people's heads in a tizzy. LOTS of people across the country haven't read and won't read the Meuller report. Video of him just repeating what's already in the report is likely to be very powerful.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Meuller said nothing new today and yet it has people's heads in a tizzy. LOTS of people across the country haven't read and won't read the Meuller report. Video of him just repeating what's already in the report is likely to be very powerful.
Yep. Mueller literally only said stuff that was already detailed in the report and you've got media heads across the networks with their heads exploding with the "new damning statements by the special counsel"

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
This is what gives me pause. You want a more dismal scenario than impeaching Trump and then having the Senate acquit him? That would be not even having enough Democrats vote to impeach in the first place. I would trust Pelosi not to get to that point unless she knew she had the numbers, but imagine if it happened and it failed due to not having enough Democratic votes. It would be a complete fucking disaster.

This is a great point and one that I hadn't really given much thought to until I read it.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the impeachment polling, I'd like to see some polling that highlights the difference between him being put on trial vs. him being removed from office, ask bothe questions and see if there's any difference in the #s.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
And we already saw something like this with Kavanaugh. Even though we KNEW it was pointless, even though we knew he would be seated, Democrats were unified and loud AF. We FORCED people to watch Republicans give that man an undeserved seat, and then we watched that fire up voters for 2018.
And then we lost Senate seats and made our task next year - regaining the Senate and fixing the Court - that much harder.

Joe Manchin only won and let us cling to a 53-47 minority because he voted for Kavanaugh.

Either McCaskill or Donnelly might've been saved by voting for Kavanaugh. (Heitkamp was always doomed; state too red and hole too deep.)

That's not exactly the best example to prove that doing the right thing always, unequivocally yields positive outcomes. Yes, it helped us in blue and purple districts and states but doomed us elsewhere. I actually think impeachment is a different matter because the presidential election (and next year's Senate map) will be decided in purple states, not in North Dakota. But those House districts that we just won, many for the first time ever? I understand why Pelosi's concerned.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Mueller has given all the info he can/will. Bringing him in and just having him repeat the same things, then say "I can't answer that, or I can't speculate on that" over and over helps nobody.

If you're going to go after anyone, it should be folks like McGahn and the like.
So you don't think Mueller testifying, which he literally hasn't had to do whatsoever in this context, would produce any meaningful answers in hours of testimony. Ok.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Biden putting out a better statement than Pelosi is hilarious

Even if it still sucks it's way more than I expected from him

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
It's been four hours.

It's been nearly 2.5 years.

From the start, Democrats have failed to educate the public about GOP nonsense and Trump's crimes.
They put all their eggs into the Mueller basket, which was a mistake from day 1. They have failed countless times to hold the GOP's feet to the fire regarding Trump's many crimes (and the GOP's own crimes) because bipartisanship or some other such nonsense.
See also: shutdown where it was Pelosi/Schumer vs Trump instead of it being the rule of law and sensibility vs McConnell and all the other pieces of GOP shit in the Senate covering for Trump.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been nearly 2.5 years.

From the start, Democrats have failed to educate the public about GOP nonsense and Trump's crimes.
They put all their eggs into the Mueller basket, which was a mistake from day 1. They have failed countless times to hold the GOP's feet to the fire regarding Trump's many crimes (and the GOP's own crimes) because bipartisanship or some other such nonsense.
See also: shutdown where it was Pelosi/Schumer vs Trump instead of it being the rule of law and sensibility vs McConnell and all the other pieces of GOP shit in the Senate covering for Trump.
Thank you.

That all Dems are not out beating the drum for accountability all day every day is shameful.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
And then we lost Senate seats and made our task next year - regaining the Senate and fixing the Court - that much harder.

Joe Manchin only won and let us cling to a 53-47 minority because he voted for Kavanaugh.

Either McCaskill or Donnelly might've been saved by voting for Kavanaugh. (Heitkamp was always doomed; state too red and hole too deep.)

That's not exactly the best example to prove that doing the right thing always, unequivocally yields positive outcomes. Yes, it helped us in blue and purple districts and states but doomed us elsewhere. I actually think impeachment is a different matter because the presidential election (and next year's Senate map) will be decided in purple states, not in North Dakota. But those House districts that we just won, many for the first time ever? I understand why Pelosi's concerned.

McCaskill and Doninelly were goners well before that vote, and the same polling people are asking for showed that.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not too concerned about the polling right now. That the majority of Americans already believe that Trump has committed crimes tells me that those numbers can be changed if a case is made. Democratic leadership doesn't even want to make the case. This is like playing a game of Mario Kart and throwing down the controller before the light hits green.

This...fires nobody up.

shadow_shogun

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia candidate behind 'deportation bus' pleads guilty
GAINESVILLE, Ga. — A former Georgia gubernatorial candidate who campaigned in a "deportation bus" has pleaded guilty to falsely reporting that computer servers were stolen from his office.

Michael Williams, a Republican ex-state senator, was indicted in December in Hall County, northeast of Atlanta, on charges of insurance fraud and lying to investigators.

District Attorney Lee Darragh told news outlets Williams pleaded guilty under Georgia's First Offender Act. He was sentenced last week to serve four years of probation, 120 hours of community service and a $5,000 fine.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
On top of not doing anything about impeachment, we'e really not seeing much noise from Democrats on the other side either, about securing the 2020 election, about retribution for Russian interference in 2016. They should be pounding that drum every day as well.

Because right now Barr and the Republicans are saying they are fine with Russian (and Chinese, and anybody else willing to pay) interference moving forward, and it appears that nobody is willing to stop them or really even try.

Instead, we get stuff like the House and Senate voting to end military assistance to Saudi Arabia, and the president moving to sell them $8 billion in arms anyway.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017

Tell me this is posturing

If they can't even convince the public, the Republicans aren't going to give a shit. The public needs this shit rubbed in their faces until even the dimmest of dim manage to pick up on some of the incriminating details as they remain disengaged and try to just focus on the next episodes of their favourite shows. People are lazy shits who have no interest in paying attention to politics and what's actually going on outside what directly impacts them. This stuff needs to be blasted so constantly and so loudly that they pick it up via osmosis.

I don't see how that could possibly be done without the circus of impeachment proceedings causing people to actually look up.

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017
Exacerbated by swing voters not holding them accountable when a Democrat is president.

Like we need to win Pennsylvania and Wisconsin in 2022. But I doubt we will if the Democrat wins next year, because enough swing voters will go "durrrrrrrrr checks and balances" which only ever means "stop Democrats from doing anything, and leave the Republicans in place to enable a Republican president down the road."

Yep. I don't have much faith in voters consistently punishing Republicans. They like the topsy turvy world of politics even when it harms them.

They don't wanna think about the consequences until it's too late and even then, they'll just go "duh bipartisan hur dur."

Oct 25, 2017
"We're not going to impeach unless the Republican Senate will vote to remove. There's no point to getting something through the House that will never be considered by the Senate. Also, and on a totally unrelated note, please give us credit for all these bills we passed through the House that Mitch McConnell has vowed to ignore!"

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
He was never going to face any consequences until he lost an election. She's not "letting him get away" with anything.
By not even pursuing impeachment, Nancy Pelosi is letting him get away with it. The end result does not matter to culpability.

Heck, even if the reality were, "There is clear evidence for impeachment even at this stage, but I hesitate because Republicans in the Senate have demonstrated that, regardless of how strong the evidence is, they will not move against a President of their party," that would be one thing. But she's not even willing to publicly make THAT case. Which makes it all the more damning, because not only are we letting Trump get away with it, we not taking Republicans to task for their clear obstruction. We're contributing to them painting their actions as fair by seeking their approval for us to do our jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.