• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kudos to Bernie; Other candidates suddenly found a voice after his Omar comment.

This is sound thinking. Trump is already trying to make it sound personal. We also saw Clinton's rating rise during impeachment in the 90s. There's plenty of other fodder to look at.
I agree. Go after them when the evidence is irrefuteable. Don't look at them hoping to find evidence (god knows it's there . . . but if it's there, it's gonna be elsewhere, too).

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Ralston's pretty neutral, so it's quite telling that he recognizes a bill that makes it easier to vote as the end of the GOP's chances in Nevada.

McConnell said so himself.

Villians tend to make exacting speeches just before plans go awry.

The state party sucks butt and puts a drag on everything.

Have they cleaned house down there yet? I'd think that last year would be the que to leave at least for some.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
So with the journalist tracking database revelation, House Dems have another topic they need to look into...

It seems like such W administration scandal, too

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
people who like maps -- here are the swings in MI GOV from 14 to 18. Obviously Whitmer won by a lot, but interesting still.

D1Br3gwX0AItAmU.png

Don't really know what's happening on the north west side of the lower Michigan?

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Is PBS too boring for Trump to pay attention to how they are regularly throwing shade? They copied this portion of their hourly show into a short clip.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Those blue bursts look like they cover Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo. Maybe there has been some kind of demographic shift there from other cities?

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Those blue bursts look like they cover Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo. Maybe there has been some kind of demographic shift there from other cities?
I was more talking about Leelanu County and the counties near it on Lake Michigan but it seems like Leelanu has a fairly high college educated population (41% compared to 28% in all of Michigan)

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Kudos to Bernie; Other candidates suddenly found a voice after his Omar comment.

This is sound thinking. Trump is already trying to make it sound personal. We also saw Clinton's rating rise during impeachment in the 90s. There's plenty of other fodder to look at.

They dont want to turn it personal unless they got clear evidence of crimes. Also Clinton's rating rose mostly because everyone saw he fucked around but did nothing wrong. He didn't pay anyone or do any actual crimes in office other fuck another women.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
I was more talking about Leelanu County and the counties near it on Lake Michigan but it seems like Leelanu has a fairly high college educated population (41% compared to 28% in all of Michigan)

Oh right, I see where you mean now. That's a really interesting location to see that kind of change happening.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
people who like maps -- here are the swings in MI GOV from 14 to 18. Obviously Whitmer won by a lot, but interesting still.

D1Br3gwX0AItAmU.png

Don't really know what's happening on the north west side of the lower Michigan?

Not sure either. It's the Traverse City-Petoskey-Charlevoix area.

What's stunning there is that huge Dem sploch in Grand Rapids. Whitmer ate the GOP's advantage there, not to mention in Oakland and Macomb counties.

Oct 28, 2017
England
D0_YZiNXgAEKoaF.jpg:large

Priorities USA put out this path to 270 graphic, which I think is pretty accurate.

This graphic just reinforces how baffling Bernie's pollster's path to victory is.

They're not just talking about West Virginia. Some in the Sanders camp envision possibly making a play for Iowa, Ohio, and Indiana, as well as states such as Kansas, North and South Dakota, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Montana — six states that, together, have voted for the Democratic nominee just twice in the past half-century.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
This graphic just reinforces how baffling Bernie's pollster's path to victory is.
I read this as them saying "he's so electable he could even win West Virginia", not that West Virginia is going to be key in their path to victory, which might be more of a counter-narrative more than anything.

I'd keep an eye on if his strategists have extremely dumb general election strategies going forward, but I wouldn't draw too much from that one politico piece about his pollster hyping up a poll that makes bernie look good.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh right, I see where you mean now. That's a really interesting location to see that kind of change happening.
Not sure either. It's the Traverse City-Petoskey-Charlevoix area.

What's stunning there is that huge Dem sploch in Grand Rapids. Whitmer ate the GOP's advantage there, not to mention in Oakland and Macomb counties.
Tell me this bodes well for MI's future.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Tell me this bodes well for MI's future.

I don't know how to really read into it -- obviously Whitmer did very well! She basically tore through the suburbs and small cities in Michigan while doing extremely well in Detroit and Ann Arbor. And you can see, like I saw, in Leelanu, that she did well in traditional GOP strongholds that have a decent col+ population (it seems most of those counties that you can see that are blue near Leelanu have relatively higher col+ populations).

But if you look at the exit polls (I know, not exactly precise), you see patterns that are just really hard to replicate. Whitmer won every age group except 40-49 year olds, only lost men by 2 points, only lost whites by 6%, and got 43% of the non-col white vote. She even got 39% of non-col white men and lost non-col white women by only 3 points. Additionally, she won 7% of the Trump voters who voted in the midterms, as well as 6% of people who approve of Trump.

Some of that is replicatable, some of that is not. The MI SEN race does give me pause (though Stabenow literally did nothing), but I worry a lot less about Michigan than I do about Wisconsin. I think there's a reason why Priorities put it as Michigan -> Pennsylvania -> Wisconsin in terms of likelihood of going Dem.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand

Probably wise to exercise caution and careful planning in how you execute that.

I can understand the hesitation as I can see conservatives (and Fox) crying disingenuously "family/children are off limits" while ignoring they are both adults and involved in his corporate affairs and administration. It will be enough to have news networks debating whether or not they should be off limits, which in itself will cause doubt and I'm sure some outrage among the public.

The fall of the Trump children will need to be swift and backed by damning evidence.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Really starting to think we need Beto on the ticket and hope for Texas because ugh..

Also.. we really need a Latino VP. It would help across the board on the sun belt in every state

Beto with a Latino VP I think would have the best chance at flipping what we need to flip and more to win the senate

Basically maybe try what the GOPs plan with Rubio was in 2016 pre-Trump

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018
USA

D1Br3gwX0AItAmU.png

Northwestern lower Michigan is home to Traverse City which has become a liberal stronghold over the past decade.

The area is full of wineries, breweries, good restaurants with beautiful beaches and tons of outdoor activities which tend to attract a more liberal crowd such as sailing, biking,hiking and skiing.

There is also a fairly large film festival there every summer that was started by Michael Moore,some people have started calling it the Aspen of the Midwest so many upper middle class and wealthy liberals have started flocking there.

Jan 15, 2019
I think Andrew Yang has the makings of a dark horse candidacy. For the past week he's been generating more buzz on Google Trends than Elizabeth Warren. It's not necessarily a close race either, he's generating more searches in 47 out of 50 states (the states where he's not leading are Iowa, Massachusetts and Oklahoma.)

I don't know to what extent Google Trends results are indicative of an actual base of support or the health of your candidacy or whatever, but I can't imagine it's a good sign for Warren (and Booker, Castro, Gillibrand, Gabbard, Delaney) that they're generating less buzz than a guy who's struggling to even be included as a polling option.

I wouldn't worry about Michigan at least with Presidential, mostly due to NAFTA stuff here clinton just haven't been the most popular here and that translated into what we saw in 2016 and even then she could have won had she really campaigned here considering how close it was.

With senate here I would still say its safe, Stabenow did next to nothing for campaigning and John James tied himself thoroughly to Trump and it did nothing.

If there more to say about Michigan senate wait for peters (though isn't he up for relection in 2020?)

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how to really read into it -- obviously Whitmer did very well! She basically tore through the suburbs and small cities in Michigan while doing extremely well in Detroit and Ann Arbor. And you can see, like I saw, in Leelanu, that she did well in traditional GOP strongholds that have a decent col+ population (it seems most of those counties that you can see that are blue near Leelanu have relatively higher col+ populations).

But if you look at the exit polls (I know, not exactly precise), you see patterns that are just really hard to replicate. Whitmer won every age group except 40-49 year olds, only lost men by 2 points, only lost whites by 6%, and got 43% of the non-col white vote. She even got 39% of non-col white men and lost non-col white women by only 3 points. Additionally, she won 7% of the Trump voters who voted in the midterms, as well as 6% of people who approve of Trump.

Some of that is replicatable, some of that is not. The MI SEN race does give me pause (though Stabenow literally did nothing), but I worry a lot less about Michigan than I do about Wisconsin. I think there's a reason why Priorities put it as Michigan -> Pennsylvania -> Wisconsin in terms of likelihood of going Dem.
What about the MI Senate race gave you pause?
Edit: Oh you mean how the Senate race was closer than the governors?

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
If we win Wisconsin, I think we'll have shameless GOP power grabs attempts and Walker not being able to hold the L to thank.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Northwestern lower Michigan is home to Traverse City which has become a liberal stronghold over the past decade.

The area is full of wineries, breweries, good restaurants with beautiful beaches and tons of outdoor activities which tend to attract a more liberal crowd such as sailing, biking,hiking and skiing.

There is also a fairly large film festival there every summer that was started by Michael Moore,some people have started calling it the Aspen of the Midwest so many upper middle class and wealthy liberals have started flocking there.
Yup that definitely looks like part of it.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Holy fuck at that journalist tracking story. Out of all the shit that's happened this week that's easily the worst.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I think Andrew Yang has the makings of a dark horse candidacy. For the past week he's been generating more buzz on Google Trends than Elizabeth Warren. It's not necessarily a close race either, he's generating more searches in 47 out of 50 states (the states where he's not leading are Iowa, Massachusetts and Oklahoma.)

I don't know to what extent Google Trends results are indicative of an actual base of support or the health of your candidacy or whatever, but I can't imagine it's a good sign for Warren (and Booker, Castro, Gillibrand, Gabbard, Delaney) that they're generating less buzz than a guy who's struggling to even be included as a polling option.
I absolutely agree. He managed to build a strong base of support and is fundraising pretty well and generating buzz and excitement. His talk about automation could appeal to a lot of voters throughout the entire country.

The rest of the candidates have to start talking about automation because it's the root of many of the problems we are facing today, including, to an extent, Trump.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017

D1Br3gwX0AItAmU.png

Thanks for posting this. First thing that jumps out at me is how the rural counties actually got redder in the 2018 election compared to 2014. I think the reason is a woman was running. I used to live in that area and it always amazes me how obsessed the white rurals were about not letting a woman in power. Even many of the women were like that!

Obviously, those counties aren't needed to win since Whitmer crushed it, and I have no doubt if nearly anyone ends up the candidate s/he takes MI. I think Biden is the perfect candidate for that state, to be honest.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
The Traverse City area is not rural white in the same way the center of the state is. There's a large percentage of hippy/college educated people who live there because of the beach/snow lifestyle. Go a little east like to Kalkaska and you run into places that have had recent anti-immigrant parades.

Status
Not open for further replies.