• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

When I mentioned "how to deal with annoying Press in your face" was a skill Omar needed to learn, this is a perfect example of that in action. Plaskett handled that interaction flawlessly and avoided taking the bait while taking command of the situation, all while continuing to walk and talk while she was in an Aaron Sorkin production.

FunkyMonkey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i love it when threads become defeatists using others to try to assuage their feelings.

"trump could shoot someone in the head on camera in the oval office and there still wouldn't be enough votes to impeach!"
"well then he'd be arrested"
"NO HE WOULDNT YOU CANT INDICT OR ARREST A SITTING PRESIDENT REEEE"
"well actually that's arguable and hasn't been tested before. public opinion and national security might actually help sway towards an arrest..."
"BUT MY DEPRESSION AND FEELINGS SAY OTHERWISE. LOOK AT ME DAMN IT PLEASE I NEED IT"

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's necessarily true. The same could've been said for Nixon, and was true up until the tapes came out after the Supreme Court battle, and the tapes were just absolutely damning and he said some disgusting things. They did not have the votes until his voice was on tape. I think that's what it will take.
Nixon would have survived if Fox News existed.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Inaction for fear of GOP consequences is part of the reason we're in this spot, too.

The more you wait to even begin discussing, the higher the burden of proof. They would've skinned Obama by now .

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
i love it when threads become defeatists using others to try to assuage their feelings.

"trump could shoot someone in the head on camera in the oval office and there still wouldn't be enough votes to impeach!"
"well actually that's arguable and hasn't been tested before. public opinion and national security might actually help sway towards an arrest..."
"BUT MY DEPRESSION AND FEELINGS SAY OTHERWISE. LOOK AT ME DAMN IT PLEASE I NEED IT"

Impeaching won't be easy, Funky. Frankly, Nixon was easier to impeach than what we have to face.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017

The most inaccurate summery I've ever read, and that includes Trump's wall of text about the iran nuclear deal. Also, I love how you make fun of people who have depression. Classy.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Inaction for fear of GOP consequences is part of the reason we're in this spot, too.

The more you wait to even begin discussing, the higher the burden of proof. They would've skinned Obama by now .

When the action requires the very same GOP to vote with you, yeah, cynicism is expected. Why are you so optimistic about the GOP here?

Dems have standards, while the GOP doesn't. We don't bother wasting time with pointless bullshit, either. When the Dems come for Trump the impeachment will stick.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Dana Bash and Tapper say they had real time reporting during the transition suggesting Cohen wanted a job in the white house and they think he lied yesterday. Has there been any public reporting on that? Jordan says there's tape saying he'd "take [a job in the white house] 100%" but I can't find it.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Lanny Davis on Maddow now: explosive revelations in the closed hearings today. That's why Cohen is coming back next week.

He straight up said they had access to red-line drafts of Cohen's prepared Congressional testimony edited by Trump's lawyers, which would prove the White House was trying to suborn perjury. If true, hoo mama.

OP
OP
Ogodei

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Impeachment is a moot point because unless you can catch Pence in one go, it does nothing to get the GOP out of power.

Remember that "weirding" Trump is beneficial to the GOP. If he is Not Normal it makes it easier for generic Rs of the future to disown him, making it easier for them to win.

There'll be plenty of time to bring Trump to justice after defeating him at the ballot box. Any actions taken today should fit that goal, to defeat Trump *and* the GOP to then begin fixing the country in earnest.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Impeachment is a moot point because unless you can catch Pence in one go, it does nothing to get the GOP out of power.

Remember that "weirding" Trump is beneficial to the GOP. If he is Not Normal it makes it easier for generic Rs of the future to disown him, making it easier for them to win.

There'll be plenty of time to bring Trump to justice after defeating him at the ballot box. Any actions taken today should fit that goal, to defeat Trump *and* the GOP to then begin fixing the country in earnest.
Disregarding.. lots of other reasons why Trump being impeached would be huge, running against Pence wouldn't be significant in removing GOP from power??

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

One step at a time. Getting the GOP out of power is a separate issue.

This isn't about that, it's taking their and Putin's King off the board.

America hasn't got a good history of doing that. It'd be a first.[/quote][/quote]

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Nixon didn't have Fox News and he certainly didn't have a party as corrupt as the current one. They had higher standards for impeaching than right now. Trump's said and done worse on camera, we're still are having difficulty impeaching him.

Nixon railed against blacks, Jews, Irish, Italians, and ordered the FBI to obstruct justice, all on tape. We don't have Trump on tape doing that — there's no smoking gun right now. And we haven't really heard the absolute filth I'm sure he spouts daily — we just have second hand accounts.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
i thought i nailed your sad all caps attention-seeking post but i guess it flew over your head. i'll use smaller words

you didn't even respond to what i wrote

Why should I? It was completely pointless, and unecessary, and added nothing to the conversation. I'm sure you'll claim that my post did the same, because you won't be able to come up with a better retort. But please, keep making fun of people with depression. That's a reallll good look.

Oct 25, 2017
Nixon would have survived if Fox News existed.

I don't think this is a certainty. Nixon had a much larger percentage of the press on his side than Trump currently enjoys. There were only 3 networks at the time and they all downplayed Watergate massively. The cover they ran for him allowed him to win reelection in a landslide even though all of the important information about the burglary was available well before Election Day.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Nixon railed against blacks, Jews, Irish, Italians, and ordered the FBI to obstruct justice, all on tape. We don't have Trump on tape doing that — there's no smoking gun right now. And we haven't really heard the absolute filth I'm sure he spouts daily — we just have second hand accounts.

Trump could do that tomorrow, and it'd be Tuesday. That's not going to hurt him like it did Nixon.

He was caught admitting to sexual assault and walking in deliberately on teenage beauty pageant contestants to peep on them as they were getting dressed and he still got elected.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man I'm done selling pelts and catching hucksters for bounties in RDD2. How do you make good cash? I'm still near the first part of the game in Valentine.

FunkyMonkey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Antagonizing other members over a series of posts, use of ableist slur, prior infraction for dismissal of others' concerns
Why should I? It was completely pointless, and unecessary, and added nothing to the conversation. I'm sure you'll claim that my post did the same, because you won't be able to come up with a better retort. But please, keep making fun of people with depression. That's a reallll good look.

so is screaming for attention. and as someone who has suffered from actual depression in the past, fuck off.

you're upset someone called out your whining and pathetic attention seeking, period. you've posted nothing of substance but empty bullshit screaming for strangers to make you feel better. that's not anyone's job here. and that is how you knew you were one of the people i was calling out. because you know it's true

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
so is screaming for attention. and as someone who has suffered from actual depression in the past, fuck off.

you're upset someone called out your whining and pathetic attention seeking, period. you've posted nothing of substance but empty bullshit screaming for strangers to make you feel better. that's not anyone's job here. and that is how you knew you were one of the people i was calling out. because you know it's true

I suffer from depression currently. Does that mean I win misery poker? I think I know how to, in part, make my depression better. Toodles.

Ahhh, that's better.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, tell that to clinton after he got impeached...

Clinton's job approval rating ranged from 36% in mid-1993 to 64% in late 1993 and early 1994.[1] In his second term, his rating consistently ranged from the high-50s to the high-60s.[1][2] After his impeachment proceedings in 1998 and 1999, Clinton's rating reached its highest point at 73% approval.[3] He finished with a Gallup poll approval rating of 65%,[4] higher than that of every other departing president measured since Harry Truman.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_image_of_Bill_Clinton

Super hurt by impeachment....
I agree it would be a pretty stupid idea to impeach a president with high 50s approval over some bullshit

FunkyMonkey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I suffer from depression currently. Does that mean I win misery poker? I think I know how to, in part, make my depression better. Toodles.

Ahhh, that's better.

run away from confrontation and disagreements to live in that bubble where the earth is fucked, stay safe and sheltered friend! hope your depression gets better (for real, i mean it)

Last edited:

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Trump could do that tomorrow, and it'd be Tuesday. That's not going to hurt him like it did Nixon.

He was caught admitting to sexual assault and walking in deliberately on teenage beauty pageant contestants to peep on them as they were getting dressed and he still got elected.
shit collectively hit the fan when buzzfeed it said it had direct proof that Trump ordered Cohen to obstruct justice and lie under oath. To the point where Mueller had to tell us to chill out because we had member leadership said we needed to move towards impeachment if true

If we had Nixon level Trump tapes, yeah he'd be fucked.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
shit collectively hit the fan when buzzfeed it said it had direct proof that Trump ordered Cohen to obstruct justice and lie under oath. To the point where Mueller had to tell us to chill out because we had member leadership said we needed to move towards impeachment if true

If we had Nixon level Trump tapes, yeah he'd be fucked.

Yes. What took Nixon down was the crimes on tape. I muddied the issue a bit by referring to Nixon's other filthy language, but that was just a contributing factor. And I want to say that the "grab em" tape did take down Trump's approval, and so an n-word tape + actual crimes would be very hard to survive.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you live in WI, please reach out to your reps about this. This is not good legislaton. (see: Jennifer Doleac's research and twitter )

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure that an impeachment followed by the senate failing to convict is so bad for us. Like everyone always says, it's a political trial, not a legal one. Getting GOP Senators on the record arguing that Trump's crimes are NBD is potentially excellent branding for us in our effort to unseat them in 2020. He's unpopular and corrupt and everyone knows it, and impeachment forces those senators to get his corrupt stink all over them in the most high-profile way possible.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure that an impeachment followed by the senate failing to convict is so bad for us. Like everyone always says, it's a political trial, not a legal one. Getting GOP Senators on the record arguing that Trump's crimes are NBD is potentially excellent branding for us in our effort to unseat them in 2020. He's unpopular and corrupt and everyone knows it, and impeachment forces those senators to get his corrupt stink all over them in the most high-profile way possible.
Yeah. We have a sample size of 1: bill Clinton, a popular president, who lied about a personal matter. Totally different circumstances

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Mr. Wallace! Call the president, tell him if he doesn't sign the bill lowering the cable rates, we'll release the video of him with the cheerleader in the Chicago motel room.

And after he signs the bill, release the tape anyway!

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Sean Hannity stepped in it with that Trump interview tonight, claiming Cohen told him certain things about the payments and that he was never his attorney.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
^ Twitter Videos of Donald on Hannity:

Aaron Rupar @atrupar

Trump and Hannity are still pretending Trump actually wrote Art of the Deal

9:34 PM - Feb 28, 2019 · Washington, DC

Aaron Rupar @atrupar

Hannity insists Cohen "was never my attorney" - Cohen said in court Hannity was 1 of his 3 clients - then says Cohen told him he decided to make hush payments on his own

"He said to me a dozen times he made the decision on the payments & he didn't tell you"

"Yup," Trump replies pic.twitter.com/NqhLJi7guH

10:23 PM - Feb 28, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.