• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Besides, everyone knows you put maple syrup on your scrambled eggs. Duh.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
giphy.gif

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Wait...y'all never had pancakes and eggs at the same, and a little bit of the syrup got on your eggs, and your mind was blown by the sumptuous combination of savory and sweet? The sticky syrup coating your tender lips, flavoring your every bite?

You haven't lived. Lived.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
The entire problem in the debate stems from average people only being familiar with foreign english-language UHC systems.

And it's not up on the people familiar with those systems to play teacher.
On one hand, like, yeah it'd be cool if everyone was a super policy wonk and did their own research -- but unfortunately we don't live in that world, so if one wants to help the problem, those who have the knowledge should spread it. Merely criticizing others for not having that knowledge is counterproductive and only gives incentive for them to dig their heels in.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, like, yeah it'd be cool if everyone was a super policy wonk and did their own research -- but unfortunately we don't live in that world, so if one wants to help the problem, those who have the knowledge should spread it. Merely criticizing others for not having that knowledge is counterproductive and only gives incentive for them to dig their heels in.
This isn't being a policy wonk, this is being able to use google and look up what people are talking about. Those people are criticized for being ignorant because if you can't use google or are fundamentally uninterested in actually learning more information, you're just going to shit up any discussion.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't being a policy wonk, this is being able to use google and look up what people are talking about. Those people are criticized for being ignorant because if you can't use google or are fundamentally uninterested in actually learning more information, you're just going to shit up any discussion.
I'm not excusing people for not doing research but the fact is, most people don't do research! So keep that in mind if you want to change their mind! I mean, that's why it's good to cite data/studies instead of just expecting people to take your word for it right? Going around expecting everybody to take your word for it is just not a productive way to carry on.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not excusing people for not doing research but the fact is, most people don't do research! So keep that in mind if you want to change their mind! I mean, that's why it's good to cite data/studies instead of just expecting people to take your word for it right? Going around expecting everybody to take your word for it is just not a productive way to carry on.
I expect them to know their shit if they're going to come for me claiming I don't know my shit. Dude Abides tried to do that yesterday and it didn't really work out that well for him!

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
My love for Louisiana hot sauce has me a bit more centrist than I'd like to be.

Jupiter IV

Jan 6, 2018
Syrup on bacon is legit though. It's just kinda whatever when it gets on eggs though. Doesn't ruin it, but I wouldn't ever purposely do something like that.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
Japan PM nominated Trump for Nobel after US request: report
Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe nominated US President Donald Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize last autumn after being requested to do so by Washington, a Japanese newspaper reported Sunday.

Washington sounded out Tokyo over the possibility of nominating Trump for the prize after his landmark summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un in June last year, an unnamed Japanese government source told the Asahi Shimbun.

Jupiter IV

Jan 6, 2018
Some more state level GOP fuckery, brought to you by Arizona:

New efforts to expand Arizona education voucher program advance at Legislature

Senate Bill 1320, introduced by Sen. David Livingston, R-Peoria, would transfer some of the program's oversight to the state treasurer's office.

SB 1320 would change who oversees some aspects of the program. It would transfer oversight power to Republican State Treasurer Kimberly Yee's office, from the Arizona Department of Education, now controlled by Democratic Superintendent of Public Instruction Kathy Hoffman.

Essentially the GOP went, "Oh a Democrat won the office that controls oversight of Education? Let's give that oversight to someone else."

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Missing the forest for the trees!
If you aren't informe on an issue, I will bring up evidence to dispute you.

It's a discussion forum, not a powerpoint presentation, and it is not my responsibility to inform every single low-information poster of why they're wrong. I'm going to argue my position based on my POV and evidence they may or may not be aware of, and will pull it out if need be, but the expectation that I'm responsible for trying to correct their ignorance at the start of any discussion is ridiculous.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
According to google this is 100% a thing. I don't think they're pouring syrup on the steak, but for sure recipes with syrup in the marinade. I also saw one for Salmon.

My go to marinade recipe for steak is salt, pepper, worcestershire sauce, garlic infused olive oil, and a drizzle of maple syrup. The syrup helps with the caramelization and adds an edge of sweetness to the fat.

Don't think I'd ever put maple onto steak as a sauce. That being said, bacon swimming in maple syrup as part of pancakes, bananas, and bacon is great. I sometimes make candied bacon with maple syrup too.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
My go to marinade recipe for steak is salt, pepper, worcestershire sauce, garlic infused olive oil, and a drizzle of maple syrup. The syrup helps with the caramelization and adds an edge of sweetness to the fat.
Maple has a pronounced flavor, though. You'd be better off with molasses or simple brown sugar (you'd get the same sweetness and caramelization of the sugars, without that floral taste).

Pork is a much better vehicle for maple (and honey) than beef.

Last edited:

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped standing for the pledge in 8th grade (I think a little after Dumbya was "elected," good enough fucking reason in my book, but I can't remember the exact reason why I did it) use I was a white girl living in RI, they didn't do shit about it. I think the teacher might have asked why, but she didn't push it or anything.

I think after 8th grade, I stood to avoid a problem at the Catholic school I went to for 9th grade, but I didn't pledge or recite.

Jupiter IV

Jan 6, 2018
I stopped standing for the pledge in 8th grade (I think a little after Dumbya was "elected," good enough fucking reason in my book, but I can't remember the exact reason why I did it) use I was a white girl living in RI, they didn't do shit about it. I think the teacher might have asked why, but she didn't push it or anything.

I think after 8th grade, I stood to avoid a problem at the Catholic school I went to for 9th grade, but I didn't pledge or recite.

My amazing 5th grade teacher is Mexican and we said the pledge in english and in Spanish every day. In an area with plenty of hispanic students, probably at least 50%. I wonder if that would fly today.

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017

I love Maple syrup but what the fuck is this?

Syrup on bacon is legit though. It's just kinda whatever when it gets on eggs though. Doesn't ruin it, but I wouldn't ever purposely do something like that.

Hell yeah

This seems more intense than usual, wonder what's dropping tomorrow

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Something must be dropping. He'a retweeting himself.

Oh. McCabe on Fake News Enemy of the People 60 Minutes. That's why.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
If you aren't informe on an issue, I will bring up evidence to dispute you.

It's a discussion forum, not a powerpoint presentation, and it is not my responsibility to inform every single low-information poster of why they're wrong. I'm going to argue my position based on my POV and evidence they may or may not be aware of, and will pull it out if need be, but the expectation that I'm responsible for trying to correct their ignorance at the start of any discussion is ridiculous.
Now you're just arguing for arguing sake. My post you originally took exception to was just pointing out that people need to do a better job explaining the healthcare systems they're advocating for, particularly the Germany/Switzerland model that is less known, -- you identified the same problem (people not knowing enough about those systems), but instead of agreeing that more people knowing about those systems would be good, you went on about how they should teach themselves instead of the people knowing about the systems helping to inform them (I was being pragmatic, I think you were being idealistic)... now you've circled around saying you bring evidence to inform them like I suggested!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.