• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
UCLA, UCB, UT, TAMU, UIUC, UMich all have tons of rich ass kids.

This won't change the math for international kids since they won't get in state tuition but a lot of rich white kids go to these schools 100%.

Good. I can think of no higher encomium for a public school than that rich people send their children there. Maybe free tuition will encourage more rich people to do it!

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be real, this feels a bit like
BF-AE118B_05WIc_G_20130104192101.jpg

Or when people try and argue 100k isn't a lot in places like NYC due to cost of living, even if most people live well below that line.

My point is if you have 100k a year to work with, you're doing pretty goddamned well.

So many arguments of this style over the years fuel the outcome of inaction and lack of progress. In the 2016 debates it was "well Donald Trump's kids shouldn't get access to these education programs", so therefore the programs just aren't possible. For getting health-care for 9/11 first-responders, it was "well we might provide healthcare for something unrelated", so let's not approve it. And now it's "what could people making $100k possibly need?", so let's not expand these programs or their availability even though more people in them would make them more popular and more acceptable and more available.

If you are single, healthy, have your medical and other insurance premiums paid for, and are paying mid-1990's level of rent and gas/heating costs (before housing and oil prices began their climb), then yeah $100k is damn good.

But today, people raising, say, two children, and making $50k each, having to use two different insurance providers and paying premiums outsized to salary, if they can get coverage at all (spouses can't be on others' plans if they can get their own coverage, even if it is inferior), not getting enough life insurance (which is calculated in multiples of base salary so if your base salary is lower then oh well), taxes withdrawn under two separate schemes, may not even have employer savings plans at that salary level, and paying 2010's rent and gas/heating costs in the NYC area, just to have a roof over their head, there's not nearly as much room as people think there is.

And that's just if the two people are salaried, in one job each, and can manage pre/afterschool fees for the kids (they could apply to the school system for free/reduced fee meals and care for the kids, but of course would not be accepted for assistance at this earnings level). If your kids are not yet in the school system, the costs for pre-school or day care can be exorbitant. Haven't even mentioned possible care for elders yet.

If you are not salaried and somehow working two jobs/shifts to pull close to this level in, your payments may not be regular and missing rent becomes a possibility. And the constant churn of clothes, food, supplies and care-while-you-work for dependents of any age (including elders) can have you into debt, even if you don't lose pay from work for taking time off when your kids are sick or your dad fell again.

So it's quite realistic to not be doing comfortably at this earnings level. Sure, they are able to give it a try where others may not be able to, but quite a few end up in similar predicaments to those earning less, it may just take a little longer to get there.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
(spouses can't be on others' plans if they can get their own coverage, even if it is inferior)
That's only if your employers are assholes. I've never actually worked for a place that does this.

And don't forget student loans in your calculations! Many people who have good-wage jobs have them and can be half of a monthly mortgage payment or more.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
well, he's former so he's saying current congressmen are saying it. But the spineless part is still accurate.
I've heard this 'in private gop congressmen acknowledge how shitty Trump is' line way too often, from Dems too. Just name names please and thank you. We're dealing with an existential threat here, so fuck decorum.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
My wife and I work in higher education and both make over six figures. When you have leadership roles, the salaries really do balloon. The bubble will burst eventually, and you will see a lot of small and medium sized private schools closing down.

tuition is crazy in private schools and people need to realize that they don't need to spend 65000 a year for an experience.

Also making over six figures each doesn't feel like upper class

Oct 27, 2017
That's only if your employers are assholes. I've never actually worked for a place that does this.

And don't forget student loans in your calculations! Many people who have good-wage jobs have them and can be half of a monthly mortgage payment or more.

It's becoming more common as an attempt to "save" money, but yes my wife's latest workplace hasn't done this thankfully.

And student loans, absolutely yes.

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
There are plenty of more productive places to investment money than in free university - especially for rich families and especially in the education space.

Universal 3YO and 4YO kindergarten are the most obvious examples.

activepassive

Oct 28, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
My wife and I work in higher education and both make over six figures. When you have leadership roles, the salaries really do balloon. The bubble will burst eventually, and you will see a lot of small and medium sized private schools closing down.

tuition is crazy in private schools and people need to realize that they don't need to spend 65000 a year for an experience.

If that's not upper class, what is?

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*Tales from a thanksgiving in Florida*

"You know man, i mean i support our president and all but shit has gotten really weird man."

"You gotta understand, Trump is a Washington outsider..."

"Stop, lets do a quid pro quo and ill give you another pour of this fine rum if you shut up"

"Yes sir" said the guy 30 years older.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
today im feeling very David Bowie. I remember i felt something weird when he died, despite me not really knowing his music. It was the sign that 2016 was going to be absolute garbage.
That was the exact moment the timeline split

G1mRwrr.jpg

As a lifelong Bowie fan, from watching Labyrinth on VHS as a kid to the Berlin Trilogy serving as my unofficial college soundtrack of college to moving cross country to his entire catalogue, it was the celebrity death that's hit me hardest and 2016 would have been a shitty year even if Trump had lost.

I still have trouble listening to Blackstar.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Just saw the movie The Report on amazon, about the Senate Intelligence Committee's report on enhanced interrogation techniques. Just as I was beginning to sort of become indifferent to Bush administration, the movie rekindles my hatred with the fury of a thousand suns. Motherfucker needs to be in a prison jumpsuit in hague along with all his warcriminals. And you know what, Obama needs to fuck off with his "post-partisan" bullshit about not going after Bush administration. It's pretty much a redoing of Ford pardoning Nixon. Ugh the movie made me just mad.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I would say American classes are as such, household with let's say 2 kids, cause individual is different:
0-40k household: poverty. You can't provide for kids at this wage what they need to be set up well for college and life. Most people born into this, stay in this.

40k-80k: maybe there's no vacations to Disney world every year, but those kids have healthy meals. And maybe if the corolla breaks down, we're not starving.

80k-120k: middle class. This is the comfort mode, probably where most of us here grew up in.

120k-200k- upper middle class. No executives, or maybe one and a stay at home. Kids will never know a want from a need.

200k-400k- "the working upper class"
Yea this is RICH territory now. But these people work for their riches. These are the people with the McMansions and Tesla's. Maybe they own 2-4 properties as well. This should be the limit to what a person can profit IMO

400k- this is where your life is completely unrelatable to most folks. I'm comfortable with this being the "start taxing the shit out of them" point

ownership class: the one percent. The people that reap the rewards of the collective work of the 99 percent I just mentioned. TRASH tier basically. Fuck these people and fuck their shady Ways. Can't even attribute a "household" income to them, becuase they lie on their taces, and they have so much money and income streams that who knows how much they actually make a year. Imagine that, being so wealthy that you don't know how much money you make.

Oct 25, 2017
Income is such a fucked discussion to have nationwide since it's so regional and city based. Like even if you're making 100k and SF and living with roommates, there's a good chance you have tech company health care, free transit (via bus), and maybe free food too. It's a messy discussion altogether.

I would say American classes are as such, household with let's say 2 kids, cause individual is different:
0-40k household: poverty. You can't provide for kids at this wage what they need to be set up well for college and life. Most people born into this, stay in this.

40k-80k: maybe there's no vacations to Disney world every year, but those kids have healthy meals. And maybe if the corolla breaks down, we're not starving.

80k-120k: middle class. This is the comfort mode, probably where most of us here grew up in.

120k-200k- upper middle class. No executives, or maybe one and a stay at home. Kids will never know a want from a need.

200k-400k- "the working upper class"
Yea this is RICH territory now. But these people work for their riches. These are the people with the McMansions and Tesla's. Maybe they own 2-4 properties as well. This should be the limit to what a person can profit IMO

400k- this is where your life is completely unrelatable to most folks. I'm comfortable with this being the "start taxing the shit out of them" point

ownership class: the one percent. The people that reap the rewards of the collective work of the 99 percent I just mentioned. TRASH tier basically. Fuck these people and fuck their shady Ways. Can't even attribute a "household" income to them, becuase they lie on their taces, and they have so much money and income streams that who knows how much they actually make a year. Imagine that, being so wealthy that you don't know how much money you make.
Half the country is below 50k so like where do we go from here

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
The average American family makes $63,000 a year.

If you make 66% more than the average family, you're very well off.

Means testing is still a pernicious idea and Pete is undermining the Democratic Party.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the upper class can just be Bezos and his friends. The existence of the fabulously wealthy does not negate the existence of the normally wealthy.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else think that if Republicans turn on Trump it is going to be sudden and almost all at once? It seems like tons of Republicans hate him (probably because Trump doesn't know what dog whistling is and he always says the quiet part out loud). Having everyone turn at once would save a lot of people from being individually targeted by Trump's wrath.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
0k-15k household: lower low class struggle class

15k-30k: middle lower class barely making it folk

30k-50k: upper lower class. scrapping by folk

50k-65k- lower middle class. worse off blue collar folk (usually minorities)

65k-75k- middle class typical blue collar folk (usually WWC)

75k-140k: Upper middle class Suburban folk

140k-250k: Lower Upper class Start of the "10%"

250k-500k middle upper class End of the "10%"

500k+ : Upper upper class i.e. the 1%.
As an economist this seems like a better summation.

This changes depeding on
A)Location location location
B) Number of individuals (If you're a single earner making 85k living by yourself you good fam.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the upper class can just be Bezos and his friends. The existence of the fabulously wealthy does not negate the existence of the normally wealthy.
It isn't, the issue is their vast wealth has obscured the fact that there's in fact 3 tiers of Upper class.

Bezos tier (High Upper)
Small business owner (Mid Upper)
Professional class (Lower Upper)

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The average American family makes $63,000 a year.

If you make 66% more than the average family, you're very well off.

Means testing is still a pernicious idea and Pete is undermining the Democratic Party.
59,039 actually.(2017), I see 2018 was 61,000 so you may be correct.

But I agree with this. If you make 100K as a family you are well off; yet education and healthcare are still concerns. This is speaks to how big of an issue they both are.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Anyone else think that if Republicans turn on Trump it is going to be sudden and almost all at once? It seems like tons of Republicans hate him (probably because Trump doesn't know what dog whistling is and he always says the quiet part out loud). Having everyone turn at once would save a lot of people from being individually targeted by Trump's wrath.

Maybe but you won't see it while he's still president.

Oct 25, 2017
Upper class people tend to be around other people richer than them who make them feel poor(er) and in the middle class. When you work in finance/tech and you see your managers and executives living lavishly, you start to feel inadequate.

This is why the middle class terminology is so distorted.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017

I imagine a lot will within the week he's out of office. You'll still have some diseased people like we do with the Tea Party still there with their hee hawing about.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
It'll probably be cheaper to just let billionaire/millionaire children get free college than to have layers of bureaucracy making sure that people don't cheat the system. Means-testing will create a lot of resentment for people around the margins. (People just above the threshold will always want to eliminate it due to the unfairness.)

And if you think about it they won't really be getting 'free' public college. Their parents will pay for it via taxation one way or another.

Pete's not a dumb guy. He fully knows this which is why the left considers this to be disingenuous attack.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
"Stop, lets do a quid pro quo and ill give you another pour of this fine rum if you shut up"
At least you got some good rum out of it...? I got a free mimosa from my Mother for not talking about politics over food just because she's a Biden supporter! An absurd $8 one, at that!
This is what happens when the top 1%+ have billions in net worth.

family_household_vs_all_household_income_2017.png
Jesus, this country is a disaster. See, I'd rate "middle class family" as anything from 50k to 150k here, especially after geographical considerations.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
The US Median Salary is $56,000 from a 2015 Census study. Pete's plan basically cuts on a crap ton of people for no reason but it can.

I think the next debate should "Cable news willing" be on health care and college debt. Those might be the two main issue right now everyone has an opinion on.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least you got some good rum out of it...? I got a free mimosa from my Mother for not talking about politics over food just because she's a Biden supporter! An absurd $8 one, at that!

Jesus, this country is a disaster. See, I'd rate "middle class family" as anything from 50k to 150k here, especially after geographical considerations.
So would I, hence why I changed Blue Skies suggestions a bit.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The US Median Salary is $56,000 from a 2015 Census study. Pete's plan basically cuts on a crap ton of people for no reason but it can.

I think the next debate should "Cable news willing" be on health care and college debt. Those might be the two main issue right now everyone has an opinion on.
Household.

Individual income is about 31,000k.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. He was 21 and being contrarian to the campus consensus, believing in the authoritative positions of leaders like Kerry and Clinton to wipe Iraq out.

Yes. It's a little sad, but as your last post demonstrates, sometimes people are just needlessly contrarian and all you can do is hope they grow out of it.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Middle class folks make a quarter of what you make.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Damn The Torture Report was a great political drama movie.

Also was it really true that Obama got counsel from people like Hillary Clinton to start an IG investigation into the EIT program and he said no? Damn Obama the real villain of the movie! (he was also shown in the tan suit!)

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Someone get y2kev in here to crush our souls on income.

I'm legit surprised there weren't any substantive news dumps on Friday. The day after Thanksgiving is one of the best days of the year to throw out horrible info to assure no one ever sees it.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone get y2kev in here to crush our souls on income.

I'm legit surprised there weren't any substantive news dumps on Friday. The day after Thanksgiving is one of the best days of the year to throw out horrible info to assure no one ever sees it.

I make about 71k and am in the 75th percentile for individual income, (80k with all my benefits and stuff gets me to 80th).

For 2018, I was in the 90th percentile for my age group. Now i'm 81th (85th with benefits).

That's sad. 94k puts me at 90th for my age. 15000 a year is 97th.

200k is the break even for my age group to hit 99th(1%). That same amount for the general population is only 97th percent. 329,000 is the 1% for all income percentiles.

Once you hit 75 percentile the graph stop being a slow climb and becomes a rocket ship into space.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Are those figures gross income or net income?

My gross income looks very good, my net income sucks. The pleasures of running a small business.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Lol children of millionaires my ass

Does pete realize his biggest demographic are white people who have household incomes of 100k and above or
He's not making that silly argument out of his own stupidity - he's trying to poison the well on every major Progressive idea as a way of tanking the popularity of Sanders and Warren's policy proposals.

It's dirty as hell but I feel like it's working against Warren and her healthcare plan.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
"Millionaires children" getting free college isn't really a problem when you consider

- the volume of "millionaires children" attending college is low relative to everybody else
- if you taxed "millionaires" properly anyway, they'd already be making a bigger contribution to the education system than the average person

I mean, by the same logic being applied to argue against free college, you could suggest "we should demolish public libraries because rich people can access them too and they can afford to buy their own books".

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
He's not making that silly argument out of his own stupidity - he's trying to poison the well on every major Progressive idea as a way of tanking the popularity of Sanders and Warren's policy proposals.

It's dirty as hell but I feel like it's working against Warren and her healthcare plan.

That's what you would do if you've been unofficially hired/backed to spoil the field.

It worked with Warren prior. but AOC intervening probably wasn't expected. I don't think Pete wants that smoke and this opened up a can of worms that made him look like a out of touch empty suit. Especially to Millennials.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Guys stop trying to make sense of Butti college plan. It's not intended to make sense from a policy perspective.

Like everything else he does it is driven by donors (who can afford college but don't want to pay higher taxes to let other kids go for free because rich folk are mostly cunts) and sneaky slimey politics ("look guys I don't like rich folk either" as he advocates a policy they paid him to advocate.)

Status
Not open for further replies.