• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Weren't Faternal Order of Police backing Trump when the impeachment allegations started?

Oct 27, 2017
A democratic president willing and able to pack the courts means the progressive agenda might have a chance to be implemented in America.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
No, the next four years will be decided by who controls the Senate and House.

Yeah, I'm all in on Warren, but if she gets a GOP Senate, it's kinda the ball game on the first 2 years at least.

I had a dream that the Senate went 49D-51R, and then during the lame duck period, we had tons of leaks about Romney potentially going Indy to boot Mitch. It was hell.

Will Bidens choice for an SC seat even be different from Trumps?

Sarcasm, I hope.

Biden's got some trolling in him. He'd definitely pick Garland.

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking the other day about Rand Paul

First of all, he's awfully lucky he is still breathing and living after having 2 near death incidents. What the hell does Trump have on Rand Paul that makes him endorse him? you know besides being ass backwards libertarian from the south, what kind dank shit has Rand Paul been up to?

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Nice edit, better then "Just wait till she dies in a few months" I guess
Not really. I wasn't satisfied with the phrasing, but I was too lazy to come up with an alternative that had the right amount of flair while still getting the point across (which is that I don't think she's going to survive until Feb. 2021, and if he's panicked now, I know he's going to be feeling fantastic then).

So it goes to just boilerplate bullshit. "Existential dread" as if that means anything. It's something I'm really good at doing.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
RBG was literally at work on Friday before going to the hospital. She'll be released tomorrow. She might not make it to 2021 but it won't be because of some minor 24 hour bug she caught and got over this weekend.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Back-and-forth packing, I'd imagine. 4-8 consecutive years at a time of good rulings is better than putting up with a lifetime's worth of mostly shit rulings.
Wouldn't we then have the courts be subject to gamesmanship? Let's say Warren wins and passes the Wealth Tax and other legislation as well as packs the courts, but is a one term president. Instead of going to the courts during her packed court, wouldn't it make sense for Republicans to wait until 2024 Republican president packs the court to then have the R leaning court make the determination on Warren's legislation?

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't we then have the courts be subject to gamesmanship? Let's say Warren wins and passes the Wealth Tax and other legislation as well as packs the courts, but is a one term president. Instead of going to the courts during her packed court, wouldn't it make sense for Republicans to wait until 2024 Republican president packs the court to then have the R leaning court make the determination on Warren's legislation?
if the alternative is "a trump-packed judiciary declares that democrats passing useful policies unconstitutional," then we kinda got to either push the envelope and see if we can stumble into lasting judiciary reform, or just give up on fighting fascism.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Lets be honest here, a 6-3 court means the erosion of any welfare state-ism left and the destruction of everything Democrats have accomplished. Everything would be completely fucked almost eyond repair. Trump could essentially for a third term and he could get an SC majority to back him on it
Can't wait to hear people who believe in the supremacy of the executive and against judicial activism tout the great check SCOTUS is

Will Bidens choice for an SC seat even be different from Trumps?
If this is a joke, this is bad one.

That seems like if the evidence is there, then it's there. But they need evidence.
Right. My thinking was the lawyer has to cough up some real damning shit to get an invitation to a deposition. Shit they verify first.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't Faternal Order of Police backing Trump when the impeachment allegations started?
It's an organization that largely exists to push the idea that police should be unaccountable so...

RBG was literally at work on Friday before going to the hospital. She'll be released tomorrow. She might not make it to 2021 but it won't be because of some minor 24 hour bug she caught and got over this weekend.
There's no such thing as a minor illness at her age.

Isn't this a bad strategy because he opens himself up to discovery?
Assuming the objective is to do anything more than make a show for the base, yes. But this is just spending money for the appearance of fighting back. There's no legal case here. It'll go nowhere.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Hot Take: It is dumb that the primary seasons lasts for like 1.5 years vs. the general election season which lasts for like 4 months. They don't need to be/shouldn't be equal in length but like I don't think the discrepancy is healthy?

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Also, RBG has the best care and seems to use it. Good! I want her going to the hospital whenever she has a fever. I want her to live in the hospital. Give her an apartment there. Let her Skype into the Court. Have her on a constant IV just in case she gets busy reading briefs and lets herself get dehydrated. Sprinkle her cornflakes with B12.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Hot Take: It is dumb that the primary seasons lasts for like 1.5 years vs. the general election season which lasts for like 4 months. They don't need to be/shouldn't be equal in length but like I don't think the discrepancy is healthy?

Primary elections don't all happen at the same time. they begin in february and finish in June. The primary season is necessarily going to be longer because of this.

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the move rhetorically from "climate change will do really bad things so we should do something about it" to "climate change will literally cause the extinction of the human race" is verrrrrrry irritating and not very helpful.

Climate change will cause a huge amount of harm to people living in South Asia and Africa and will kill off a lot of animals too and that's really bad!

But climate change will not kill off billions of people...

Not sure anyone has been converted over to caring about climate change from the change in rhetoric.

And it's just so transparent too. Bernie or others will say "this is a threat to humanity" but there's no prioritization at all to climate change as most care way more about health care. Would anyone who says "climate change is an existential threat" be willing to even trade huge tax cuts for the rich for a big carbon tax? Like, it would be an incredibly small amount of people, right? Would people accept a large reduction for any liberal government program to fund large scale climate change programs?

Terrysaur

Jun 14, 2019

Compared to the general, you have so many candidates running, and both parties want to give their candidates significant publicity and the ability to market themselves in as many individual states as possible, despite not having the money and resources the FEC has for general elections. This is how you end up with state-by-state primaries happening across many months instead of a nationwide primary on a single day. Doing it this way allows both parties to run more cost-efficient primaries while allowing grassroots candidates to compete with the mega-rich candidates who would otherwise decimate any single-day nationwide primary.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
RBG should have retired 5 or 6 years ago, like when she turned 80. It's selfish to keep going, knowing it could easily lead to a stacking of the court, and is anyone 100% effective for work at 86 years old?

Bob Barker retired from hosting The Price Is Right at age 83.
He then returned to host the first segment of the 2015 April Fool's episode at age 91, and did so with aplomb.

This has been my on-brand post of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.