• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Buttigieg team is lying about having taken down the Kenyan photo in September. Ryan Grim posted a screenshot he took *this last Friday* that showed the photo was still there.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"You bootlickers aren't defending me enough! I'm going to defend myself!"

Please please please no one talk him out of this.

I swear there was video footage of Trump giving a testimony for some lawsuit before he was president, and he was pretty awful. Arms folded in classic defensive posture, rambling answers, self-congratulating. I'll see if I can find it, though I don't relish the idea of listening to him speak.

Edit: Found a CNN report on it, with some of the footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyJcncq-6A0

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely think the republicans would take extreme actions to prevent the president from testifying, like literally locking him in the white house if necessary.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I swear there was video footage of Trump giving a testimony for some lawsuit before he was president, and he was pretty awful. Arms folded in classic defensive posture, rambling answers, self-congratulating. I'll see if I can find it, though I don't relish the idea of listening to him speak.

Edit: Found a CNN report on it, with some of the footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyJcncq-6A0

I think I've seen this. He lies the entire time.
I wonder if he's capable of ever not lying.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I think I've seen this. He lies the entire time.
I wonder if he's capable of ever not lying.
In a 1992 deposition, his own lawyers say they met with him in pairs because of his constant lying.

"We tried to do it with Donald always if we could because Donald says certain things and then has a lack of memory," attorney Patrick McGahn said during the deposition in transcripts obtained by BuzzFeed. As McGahn explained, "It's always been our practice to make sure that two people are present, and we don't have a problem of people lying." He added that Trump is an "expert at interpreting things. Let's put it that way."

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Guys, if he testified it would be like Clinton in 98, it would be in the White House, in front of a small group, and would be taped. I don't believe Clinton's testimony was a live broadcast, though I could be wrong.

Still, Trump would fuck it up. We need this to happen.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still at awe that in the conference he gave about the leader of isis dying, he said that ISIS was only second to him in terms of knowing how to use computers. He's not a normal person, is incapable of being honest about anything, and he's for sure not going to be allowed to testify.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, if he testified it would be like Clinton in 98, it would be in the White House, in front of a small group, and would be taped. I don't believe Clinton's testimony was a live broadcast, though I could be wrong.

Still, Trump would fuck it up. We need this to happen.

Tell him he can have all the McDonalds he can carry afterward.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
I'm still at awe that in the conference he gave about the leader of isis dying, he said that ISIS was only second to him in terms of knowing how to use computers. He's not a normal person, is incapable of being honest about anything, and he's for sure not going to be allowed to testify.
For a minute I'm going to allow myself to daydream about the clusterfuck it would be if he did testify before Congress. He would be eaten alive by the Democrats and the Media, and the Republicans would come across as nothing but sycophants in front of the cameras.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Trump probably let out a sigh of "Oh, thank God they said I can do written questions."

There's zero chance at all he'd ever appear in person and humiliate himself. No amount of coaching or lawyers prep will get him to where he needs to be. He would sabotage himself within the first 5 minutes of questioning.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
There is the remote chance that he would be so insane, so out of control, that he could do a double reverse, go on the attack, and keep everyone so off balance that he actually scores some points. The truth is, you wouldn't be able to cross examine him like a normal witness, he's a rabid animal and pretty hard to predict. All you'll know for sure is that he's going to lie, but he's going to lie so much (about things big and small/ relevant and irrelevant) that in your short 5 minute window you may not be able to keep up with his insanity. He's going to interrupt you, demean you, attack the process, and mug for the cameras. He won't be brought to heel, and his status as President is going to make it tough to really slap him down.

Maybe it's best that he doesn't testify. There are too many unknowns and we already have enough to hang him with. He could shit himself in front of Congress, Republicans will still protect him, so there may not be much of a practical upside other than getting him on the record and embarrassing him.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Come on, you know he'd call Pelosi a bitch to her face if he had to testify. He wouldn't be able to hold it in.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018

In a 1992 deposition, his own lawyers say they met with him in pairs because of his constant lying.

"We tried to do it with Donald always if we could because Donald says certain things and then has a lack of memory," attorney Patrick McGahn said during the deposition in transcripts obtained by BuzzFeed. As McGahn explained, "It's always been our practice to make sure that two people are present, and we don't have a problem of people lying." He added that Trump is an "expert at interpreting things. Let's put it that way."

Remember this episode from before Trump provided written testimony to Mueller (in which he still managed to lie), recounted in Woodward's book:
John Dowd was convinced that President Trump would commit perjury if he talked to special counsel Robert S. Mueller III. So, on Jan. 27, the president's then-personal attorney staged a practice session to try to make his point.

In the White House residence, Dowd peppered Trump with questions about the Russia investigation, provoking stumbles, contradictions and lies until the president eventually lost his cool.

"This thing's a goddamn hoax," Trump erupted at the start of a 30-minute rant that finished with him saying, "I don't really want to testify."
The book vividly recounts the ongoing debate between Trump and his attorneys about whether the president would sit for an interview with Mueller. On March 5, Dowd and Trump attorney Jay Sekulow met in Mueller's office with the special counsel and his deputy, James Quarles, where Dowd and Sekulow reenacted Trump's January practice session.

Dowd then explained to Mueller and Quarles why he was trying to keep the president from testifying: "I'm not going to sit there and let him look like an idiot. And you publish that transcript, because everything leaks in Washington, and the guys overseas are going to say, 'I told you he was an idiot. I told you he was a goddamn dumbbell. What are we dealing with this idiot for?' "

"John, I understand," Mueller replied, according to Woodward.

Later that month, Dowd told Trump: "Don't testify. It's either that or an orange jumpsuit."

But Trump, concerned about the optics of a president refusing to testify and convinced that he could handle Mueller's questions, had by then decided otherwise.

"I'll be a real good witness," Trump told Dowd, according to Woodward.

"You are not a good witness," Dowd replied. "Mr. President, I'm afraid I just can't help you."

The next morning, Dowd resigned.
WaPo

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
So who's tweeting? Scavino or Trump? Because no one has seen the dumpster since Sat.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017

Kaitlan Collins @kaitlancollins

Graham promised Senate Judiciary would "look long & hard" into how the investigation into the campaign's interactions w Russia began. He then repeated it was necessary to probe the origins, but such hearings haven't materialized, @oliverdarcy⁩ reports. https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/18/media/lindsey-graham-right-wing-media/index.html …

10:37 AM - Nov 18, 2019

Nothing is topping them from investigating Biden/Burisma, is there?

Buy Fire & Fury instead, it's a better read and (I believe) captures the environment of the Trump Administration better than Woodward's very clinical observations/reporting.
Michael Wolff? Really?

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
It makes no goddamn since that a 3 hour ER visits costs nearly $5500 when all they give is a bag of saline, take some blood, do an XR, and take an EKG.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
There is the remote chance that he would be so insane, so out of control, that he could do a double reverse, go on the attack, and keep everyone so off balance that he actually scores some points. The truth is, you wouldn't be able to cross examine him like a normal witness, he's a rabid animal and pretty hard to predict. All you'll know for sure is that he's going to lie, but he's going to lie so much (about things big and small/ relevant and irrelevant) that in your short 5 minute window you may not be able to keep up with his insanity. He's going to interrupt you, demean you, attack the process, and mug for the cameras. He won't be brought to heel, and his status as President is going to make it tough to really slap him down.

Maybe it's best that he doesn't testify. There are too many unknowns and we already have enough to hang him with. He could shit himself in front of Congress, Republicans will still protect him, so there may not be much of a practical upside other than getting him on the record and embarrassing him.
That's true. Think Kavanaugh at his most unhinged during his testimony, but amplified, and without the interviewee respecting the norms and procedures of their station for most of the time, and with the interviewers having no ability to stop him (and even if they did have means, that part would be all that Fox News would play every day until the election). As much as I'd like to see him dismantled and humiliated on TV, it would probably backfire. This once again shows the cracks in the system. The Founders probably never envisioned that someone with zero respect for the Office and zero respect for procedure would ever get it, and that coupled with the shield of the Office is a big problem.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Nothing is topping them from investigating Biden/Burisma, is there?

Michael Wolff? Really?
Yes really. I mean, go ahead and read both, you should. Fear confirmed just about everything that Wolff said in Fire & Fury. I'm not saying the guy is free from fault, but nothing that we've heard/read since his book was released has contradicted any of his main points. Woodward's book comes across like Mueller, "It looks and sounds like an animal, but I don't have 10 sources telling me it's a duck, so I can't say anything about it", whereas Wolff's book basically says "Yo, these guys are crazy. I have one source that I took notes on a napkin when we got drunk together, but seriously, I'm 80% sure the story I'm about to tell you happened something like this." As companion pieces Fear and Fire & Fury are great.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
Unlike you libs, I think Trump could clear his name by testifying and he'd get great ratings while doing so. What's not to love about that?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Unlike you libs, I think Trump could clear his name by testifying and he'd get great ratings while doing so. What's not to love about that?

absolutely_right_zoolander.gif

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Manu Raju @mkraju

House tells court it is now probing whether Trump lied to Mueller. "Did the President lie? Was the President not truthful in his responses to the Mueller investigation?" House General Counsel Doug Letter said, explaining why they want Mueller grand jury material, per @kpolantz

11:24 AM - Nov 18, 2019

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017

The source is bizarre (to me)
The Associated Press reported last month about Zelenskiy's meeting on May 7 with, two top aides, as well as Andriy Kobolyev, head of the state-owned natural gas company Naftogaz, and Amos Hochstein, an American who sits on the Ukrainian company's supervisory board. Ahead of the meeting, Hochstein told Yovanovitch, the U.S. ambassador, why he was being called in.

He separately briefed two U.S. Embassy officials, Suriya Jayanti and Joseph Pennington, about Zelenskiy's concerns, said the two people who spoke to the AP. Jayanti and Pennington took notes on the meeting, the people said.

After the meeting, Hochstein told the embassy officials about Zelenskiy's concerns and then traveled to Washington to update Yovanovitch on the meeting. The ambassador, who was facing a smear campaign, had just been called back to Washington, where she was informed that she no longer had the confidence of the president. She was relieved of her duties as ambassador on May 20.
Will he get deposed?

Yes really. I mean, go ahead and read both, you should.
Quite honestly, I feel bad enough about how much I let myself indulge in this reality show via twitter. I'm not lining the pockets of authors who are profiting off this shit show and of whom I have dubious confidence.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
@ShimonPro
House of Representatives is now investigating whether Trump lied to special counsel Robert Mueller in written answers he provided in the Russia investigation, the House's general counsel told the DC circuit Court of Appeals Monday.
11:27 - 18 Nov 2019

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Man, I don't know about going back down the Mueller road. The Ukraine story has stuck, and it isn't like we don't have enough possible articles of impeachment available to us. By going back to Mueller I'm afraid we're diluting our attack.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Man, I don't know about going back down the Mueller road. The Ukraine story has stuck, and it isn't like we don't have enough possible articles of impeachment available to us. By going back to Mueller I'm afraid we're diluting our attack.

It's all the same thing. All of Trump's most corrupt actions in office are just different facets of the same story.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Not really

It's a side track that isn't going to be pursued in an open setting - like 0.01% of the population follows shit like this.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Odd.... first meeting with the Fed. Second, their statement was oddly specific about what they themselves stated. Third, why the Residence?

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
Status
Not open for further replies.