• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017
Dw44H4bXQAE5kch.jpg

Cursed image

Crazy Town

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone is interested, here's a Quinnipiac poll from Feb of 2007:
https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=1019

Clinton 38%
Obama 23%
Gore 11%
Edwards 6%

Everyone else had 1 or 2 points. (meanwhile Giuliani had 40, with McCain and Gingrich at 18, 10, respectively)

Clinton's favorability was +1, only 7% "haven't heard enough".

Obama was +30, but 40% "haven't heard enough".

Considering those numbers and how early it was in the cycle, would it be ok to say Obama that early was just a "not Clinton" position?
I'd say there was more than that. A lot of people were wowed by his speech at the 2004 convention and were hoping he would run well before he announced. There was definitely something of an "Anybody But Clinton" sentiment that did eventually coalesce around Obama once the field narrowed down (particularly once Edwards dropped out) but it took a while to shake out. What's certainly notable in retrospect is that though she led in the early polling she never really seemed to break through to a majority. She mostly polled in the 30s, sometimes low-to-mid 40s, but rarely much better than that.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I say this not as a way of poo-pooing his chances out the gate, but the most common argument for Sanders (how well he did in 2016) in contrast to his polling numbers exposes something about his candidacy. Yes, he sponges up a good chunk of genuine leftists, but also much of his support just came from being the only viable not-Hillary. Webb and Chafee didn't belong anywhere in a Dem primary and O'Malley did nothing to distinguish himself from a generic D politician.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
After 3 years and an early Bernie supporter I have realized he is nothing more than a cassette tape without any nuance or differential thinking. He has 6 points and he never moves away from them . It's like a tape which keeps running again and again and even in answers unrelated to his 2016 campaign he tries to connect it to them .
It gets annoying. He also thinks he is some sort of secondary leader of the liberals with an alternative response to Nancy and Pelosi to Trump's wall speech. He only thinks for himself and not for the larger picture. That would make him a terrible leader . He now comes off as the angry old man who just can't accept defeat and is too arrogant to think his time is over

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I like the fake Tabasco logo. If that's not a jab at Clinton carrying hot sauce in her purse, I'm going to be very disappointed.

Oct 25, 2017
If Bernie is running, Trump will win again. Democrats will divide themselves again in 2020.

Unlike in 2016, there is a clear GOP target to come together and aim at (metaphorically!) after the primary is over, and that's Trump. Think of it more like 2008 where there was lots of division post-primary, but everyone came together because W. and the GOP tried to kill the economy.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Musk would be Trump 2.0. At least he has some good ideas and he's probably not as high on the narcissism scale as Trump but he would be a terrible president.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017

[B]Daniel Dale[/B]‏Verified account @[B]ddale8[/B] 11m11 minutes ago
More
Trump asks everyone to sit down rather than stand. He explains that this way they can give him standing ovations when they want, whereas if they're already standing, the media will say he didn't get any standing ovations. "It's probably better for me," he says.

[B]Daniel Dale[/B]‏Verified account @[B]ddale8[/B] 14m14 minutes ago
More
Trump to the American Farm Bureau convention on Sen. John Kennedy: "This is a man who is totally brilliant. I don't know if you know what this means: Oxford. He went to Oxford. I'm very much into the world of schools. Oxford -- you have to be very, very smart to go to Oxford."

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Unlike in 2016, there is a clear GOP target to come together and aim at (metaphorically!) after the primary is over, and that's Trump. Think of it more like 2008 where there was lots of division post-primary, but everyone came together because W. and the GOP tried to kill the economy.

I still have a feeling Bernie supporters will boycott Democrats if he loses in a primary. They'll pull a sabotage card again. But I agree with you, taking down Trump should be number 1 priority for everyone.

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I say this not as a way of poo-pooing his chances out the gate, but the most common argument for Sanders (how well he did in 2016) in contrast to his polling numbers exposes something about his candidacy. Yes, he sponges up a good chunk of genuine leftists, but also much of his support just came from being the only viable not-Hillary. Webb and Chafee didn't belong anywhere in a Dem primary and O'Malley did nothing to distinguish himself from a generic D politician.
Yeah, I think a common mistake is to think of his 2016 numbers as representing his base. I think his current polling is more representative of that. It doesn't mean that 20% is his ceiling of course or that he can't build a winning coalition, just that it's going to be real work to do so, especially as the lanes he chose last time (left, anti-establishment) are more crowded this time around.

Zona

Oct 27, 2017
I hope everyone here is prepared to vote for Bernie in the general, even if you don't vote for him in the primary.

I would vote for my cat in the general if they made it through the primary with a (D) next to their name. That said, if Sanders ends up being the Democratic Party Nominee I will go out and buy a hat so I can eat it.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
So there's still no progress whatsoever on the government re-opening? This is madness.
At this point I'm just waiting for there to basically be a complete shutdown of airports or something like that before anyone budges.

It's more than that. There's a fuck you got mine segment of the Latino and Asian populations. Thankfully those people are fewer in number over time
But are those people not also partisan republicans?

Deleted member 13364

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still have a feeling Bernie supporters will boycott Democrats if he loses in a primary. They'll pull a sabotage card again. But I agree with you, taking down Trump should be number 1 priority for everyone.
What do you mean "again"? Are people really still running with the demonstrably untrue theory that the percentage of Bernie voters not going on to vote for Hillary was significantly higher than is typical? Do you know that 25% of Hillary 08 primary voters went on to vote for McCain?

Oct 27, 2017
Who needs crazy spy novels when you're part of the World of Schools?

He did get people to applaud him while the government doesn't pay them subsidies or insurance or what have you.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017

@ABC
NEW: Stormy Daniels files federal civil lawsuit against Ohio vice squad police officers who she says were pro-Trump and arrested her for political reasons. https://abcn.ws/2FylznD
2:45 PM - Jan 14, 2019
@ABC

MORE: The lawsuit, filed with lawyer Michael Avenatti, alleges false arrest, malicious prosecution and civil conspiracy.

Daniels is seeking $1 million in compensatory damages and more than $1 million in punitive damages. http://abcn.ws/2FylznD
2:46 PM - Jan 14, 2019

Oct 26, 2017
This is like the fourth or fifth time he's had this weird slurring thing going on. How are people not asking about this more often? There should be a valid explanation for why the President occasionally is slurring his words and cant seem to speak properly.
My guess?
the mornings he does way to much speed, he is given blood pressure medicine.

shit makes people wonky.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017

I think this is very important and needs to be stressed again. In 2016, Bernie's coalition was made up of a few different prongs. There were the true believers/far left, the anyone-but-Clinton people, and then young voters who were into the next big thing. (Obama benefited from this group in 2008 bigly.) There was also a not small subset of people who supported Bernie because he was a white male. (No, I am not saying his supporters are all racist, white men. But, you have states like WV that swung like 30 points away from Hillary. These are places she won in 2008 because the other option was a black man.)

These groups, imo, no longer exist in the same way. He still has his true believers, which I very much believe are around 10-15% of the vote. But he will not benefit form the "anyone but Clinton" voters because they will have options. There are fewer caucuses which were the majority of his wins. Plus, he is no longer the new hotness. In addition, he has shown zero ability to reach out to black voters, and has made zero attempt to increase his stable of surrogates. On top of this,. there were a lot of folks in 2016 who thought there was no chance in hell of Trump winning no matter what, so they were willing to roll the dice on someone like Bernie whose General elect-ability wasn't forefront. I think 8 out of 10 dems main thought is going to be who has the best chance at winning. (This is something we saw with Obama/Hillary in 2008. Once people saw that Obama could actually win, Hillary's support started to erode a bit. Also, 2008 had a lot of Bush-Clinton fatigue. People complaining about the whole "dynasty" thing, even though Hillary was experienced in her own right, but whatever)

Bernie, like Biden, is at near 100% name recognition. The idea that his support is so soft it can just deflect to other candidates, and he can get it back if/when he announces is not a great argument imo. He has Warren who will attack him from his left flank, he has Beto who is the newness, and he has still done nothing to ingratiate himself with the establishment who, like it or not, is the vast majority of the party.

Also, I do not think he is a good fit for the 2020 electorate. There isn't going to be a single serious candidate who isn't going to be campaigning on things like M4A, "free" college, $15 minimum wage, etc. You don't get credit for having the idea first, it's just who has it best and in the best package. Also, he has a ton of baggage that no one has ever touched on a national stage. His stance (and comments) on guns will be used heavily, as will his vote (and cosponsoring a bill) to send nuclear waste out of Vermont and to a poor Latinx community in Texas. That's not even touching his praise of Castro (which will doom him in FL again), the whole "went to the Soviet Union on his honeymoon," his wifes problematic involvement in falsifying documents to get a loan for her school....these things will actually be brought up this time.

Plus, the calendar in 2020 isn't friendly to him.

And to be clear, while I loathe the man, I would vote for him in 2020, but I would literally complain the entire fucking time.

Status
Not open for further replies.