• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't CNN already say they were airing the Dem response after? At least read the thread if you're going to be beating the "everyone better pay attention" drum.

I just responded to the post that was posted that didn't really tell me anything... I'm not beating any drum. Christ and y'all tell me I'm the one panicking.

Oct 25, 2017
The shutdown on top of the hurricane has caused Ms. Minton to rethink a lot of things.

"I voted for him, and he's the one who's doing this," she said of Mr. Trump. "I thought he was going to do good things. He's not hurting the people he needs to be hurting."

Nah, I think he's definitely hurting the people that he needs to be hurting, at least in this case.

(On another note, this is another piece of evidence for my argument that the American conservative is uncivilized and in fact has no real place in modern society. They vote for people who will engineer bad policy to hurt people within society while normal people vote for those who will engineer policy to help society in general. People like this person should legit be exiled. They only make civilized society worse by refusing to participate in it in good faith.)

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I just responded to the post that was posted that didn't really tell me anything... I'm not beating any drum. Christ and y'all tell me I'm the one panicking.

It was already posted that Dems will have their airtime. For a situation you are arguing deserves all of our attention, you didn't seem to be all that aware of a post on this situation.

But I'm done with paying attention to this dog and pony show. Call me when something actually happens instead of President Baby's televised bullshit.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
It was already posted that Dems will have their airtime. For a situation you are arguing deserves all of our attention, you didn't seem to be all that aware of a post on this situation.

But I'm done with paying attention to this dog and pony show. Call me when something actually happens instead of President Baby's televised bullshit.
Isn't CNN the only station so far to confirm time for dems?

I don't understand the infighting over stuff like this

DinosaurusRex

Oct 26, 2017
A point of clarification. In Obama's 2014 address they never officially asked the networks to clear time for him. They floated it out on background
and got some push back so they never asked.

It's possible they would have caved then, but that's besides the point.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
A point of clarification. In Obama's 2014 address they never officially asked the networks to clear time for him. They floated it out on background
and got some push back so they never asked.

It's possible they would have caved then, but that's besides the point.

Another really unconvincing position, and it's worth noting that it's the networks pushing this distinction. Wonder why?

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
No, it's not newsworthy. He's going to go on television and lie and fearmonger. We all know this. This isn't new.

For heaven's sake, they didn't give the last President this level of respect. All major networks denied airing his addresses. Major networks have demonstrated before in the past that proclamations from the President aren't enough to command airtime. This is a move for ratings. Nothing more.

There's also the bullying angle. Just all around sad given the state of the administration. Unless they just cut away once the gibbering starts like that one Israeli channel did to their own soon-to-be-jailbird head of state.

Pelosi's the most powerful Democrat in the country. She should be the one.

With a good script she'll be fine.

With AOC one of the crew behind her. BOOM instant ratings bigger than Individual One's EXTREEM Depends Challenge

DinosaurusRex

Oct 26, 2017
Another really unconvincing position, and it's worth noting that it's the networks pushing this distinction. Wonder why?
This is fair, I see how my post looks like concern trolling.

I was unaware this was the line the networks were sticking to as well, as the thing I read about it was a contemperenous article in the Guardian (link) before the networks had even decided to carry it (this was much earlier today).

But this isnt my "position". I think the networks are trash for carrying his propaganda uncontested.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Charlie Sykes and Bill Kristol have launched a spiritual successor to The Weekly Standard called The Bulwark with the tagline "Conservatism Conserved" -- though it has a more focused mission statement as a home for anti Trumpian conservatism. They've also kept the trademark caricatures:

Dv_wU_KWwAEKQev.jpg

One of their first stories:

"How AOC Owns the Cons
The self-owns are real, and they're spectacular."

They also aggregate stories from elsewhere they find interesting. Right now the top one:

m79oZv4.png

They also have featured tweets and videos, this one labeled "Linda Chavez Takes on Rick Santorum:

It's noteworthy because even though they are still very conservative -- and still hold some awful positions and big blind spots -- they do offer a novel perspective in today's media landscape and, to some extent, Trump has caused a few of them to open their eyes to issues they were blind to in the past. I wouldn't recommend them as a primary news source or anything but it's interesting to observe and sometimes their podcast, where they're typically more candid, includes some republican insider knowledge that's hard to get elsewhere.

Last edited:

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
I appreciate people I disagree with not giving up everything they believe in for Trumps approval alongside a few policy achievements. I'm a ghost of who I was but Supreme Court!

Although maybe that's silly and most were ready for trump anyways.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Off to bed, but I'll stand behind my initial prediction that the speech/declaration/whatever will be used as cover to sign the bill, and that the shutdown has a good chance of ending this week.

As for the declaration, I only predict a court battle. We'll see.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017

Fuck these people

edit: even more details about this nugget:

As recently as 2012, Border Patrol has used this ability to compel hospital doctors to assist them with cavity searches for contraband. This eventually led to a settlement in 2014 between CBP and the ACLU that included a clarification to hospitals along the border that doctors need not assist unless a warrant has been issued for the cavity search or an individual has consented to being searched.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't CNN the only station so far to confirm time for dems?

I don't understand the infighting over stuff like this

Me neither. And afaik it wasn't posted in this thread when I responded to a post that didn't say anything about any network airing a rebuttal. It seems to me a fair amount of my time in this thread is calmly pointing out obvious issues, and then I get slapped by multiple posters for being some kind of reactionary, baseless questioning of what am I doing, and it does seem to boil down to, why are you so upset? I get the same shit from people I talk to.

There is a lot to be pretty upset about. I think a better question is why do we all have to pretend everything is going to be okay? Is it? It's not negative fear mongering to point out that the continous errosion of presidential, executive agency, judicial, and congressional norms is an actual problem that maybe we shouldn't just dogpile on as some kind of nefarious act to point out.

I think most people here are very much on the same page, but it's sometimes hard to admit how bad things have gotten.

Last edited:

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
From tax brackets thread:

"Suppose that your income put you at the very top of the 28% tax bracket and you earned one more dollar such that you were now in the 33% tax bracket."
Below: Changes in your tax burden based of the above scenario

Bailey_final2.png

https://today.yougov.com/topics/pol...standing-how-marginal-taxes-work-its-all-part

This is very old. I can only imagine it has gotten worse on the republican side of things with the way the party has changed in the last 6 years
From the same survey, this is also pretty telling:

bailey3.png

"Here, for example, is percent correct broken down by political knowledge and party. (The political knowledge variable is the number of factual questions about politics that the respondent gets right, questions such as which party controls the House of Representatives.) "

Basically shows that republicans that are more engaged with politics got the tax question wrong more often than less engaged republicans (in the 3-4 correct answer range), suggesting the more engaged republicans watch more conservative media that misleads them about the issues.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Man, I love statistical data that shows Republicans are objectively dumber about politics. It's all that sexually arouses me anymore in these rough days.
(You can interpret on your own time how serious I'm being or not)

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
GOP politicians spend a lot more time making misleading statements on what certain taxes even do

I.e. 2012 Romney and the "death tax"

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GOP politicians spend a lot more time making misleading statements on what certain taxes even do

I.e. 2012 Romney and the "death tax"
In the 'Vice' movie they were showing the think tanks behind coming up with the 'death tax' term during the Bush years. All those conservative institutes that popped up to just poll people on what they found more offensive really fucked the country up.

Alexiell

Oct 25, 2017
Louisiana
I had one of the strangest interactions of my life today and I need you all to know.

For context, I am currently working at a Costco in southern CA. Today, while out in the parking lot, I walked by a member who was leaving the store and heading to her car. I was in the process of pushing carts and patiently waited for her to move past before continuing on. After I finished moving those carts, I went to head back to the same corral were I find the same member slowly putting her items away.

To give you an idea, the member was a (as far as I could tell) white woman in her mid to late 40s or early 50s. The age guess comes from the following exchange.

She started by asking me my age. A weird way to start a conversation but I didn't think much of it (I am 29, but I have a pretty young appearance if I'm cleanly shaven). Then she asked me what my goals and dreams in life are, or as she put it literally, "What do you want to be when you grow up?". I'll spare you all the details but a degree, ongoing quest to get into law school, and moving halfway across the country are all in service of answering that question. At any rate this is the point where she tells me that I look like a hardworking young man and that she has a daughter who she wants to get a man like me. I've used to work in a restaurant as a server, so this particular turn is one I've had before. Usually I politely decline the person and move the conversation. But before I can do that she asks me if I am a religious man.

This is where I tense up, because I always waver between lying and saying I am so someone will leave me alone or just saying no and walking away. Here, for whatever reason, I go for a half truth and say that I was raised catholic but no longer practice it. She then goes into telling me how on of her sons married someone whose father was also not religious and that her family is very accepting. (at this point I'm sure my face probably looked like some mixture of thoroughly confused and supremely freaked out) She then tells me how her sons have gotten accepted to multiple ivy league schools and have managed to hold their own against their "super liberal" professors. "Stanford, Berkeley, you know how liberal those places are. But my sons stood their ground, even challenging their professors. Even during class! I am so proud of them."

At this point, I realize that I need to walk away before she starts telling me all about her political views. (which I'm sure are just the worst) As I begin to walk away, letting her know that I have to get back to work before I get in trouble, she hits me with the following line. Verbatim:

"Well it was nice to meet you. I going to come back and get to know you more. I just think you would be a wonderful fit with us."
Us. us? US? USSSSSSSSSS? THE FUCK DOES US MEAN?!?!?!?!

She didn't say "with my daughter" or "with my family" she said US. WHAT THE FUCK.

I am now terrified of getting abducted at work and winding up in the middle of some Stonemason/Illuminati ritual with a knife in my chest or something.

Anyway. yea. fuck.

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had one of the strangest interactions of my life today and I need you all to know.

For context, I am currently working at a Costco in southern CA. Today, while out in the parking lot, I walked by a member who was leaving the store and heading to her car. I was in the process of pushing carts and patiently waited for her to move past before continuing on. After I finished moving those carts, I went to head back to the same corral were I find the same member slowly putting her items away.

To give you an idea, the member was a (as far as I could tell) white woman in her mid to late 40s or early 50s. The age guess comes from the following exchange.

She started by asking me my age. A weird way to start a conversation but I didn't think much of it (I am 29, but I have a pretty young appearance if I'm cleanly shaven). Then she asked me what my goals and dreams in life are, or as she put it literally, "What do you want to be when you grow up?". I'll spare you all the details but a degree, ongoing quest to get into law school, and moving halfway across the country are all in service of answering that question. At any rate this is the point where she tells me that I look like a hardworking young man and that she has a daughter who she wants to get a man like me. I've used to work in a restaurant as a server, so this particular turn is one I've had before. Usually I politely decline the person and move the conversation. But before I can do that she asks me if I am a religious man.

This is where I tense up, because I always waver between lying and saying I am so someone will leave me alone or just saying no and walking away. Here, for whatever reason, I go for a half truth and say that I was raised catholic but no longer practice it. She then goes into telling me how on of her sons married someone whose father was also not religious and that her family is very accepting. (at this point I'm sure my face probably looked like some mixture of thoroughly confused and supremely freaked out) She then tells me how her sons have gotten accepted to multiple ivy league schools and have managed to hold their own against their "super liberal" professors. "Stanford, Berkeley, you know how liberal those places are. But my sons stood their ground, even challenging their professors. Even during class! I am so proud of them."

At this point, I realize that I need to walk away before she starts telling me all about her political views. (which I'm sure are just the worst) As I begin to walk away, letting her know that I have to get back to work before I get in trouble, she hits me with the following line. Verbatim:

"Well it was nice to meet you. I going to come back and get to know you more. I just think you would be a wonderful fit with us."

She didn't say "with my daughter" or "with my family" she said US. WHAT THE FUCK.

I am now terrified of getting abducted at work and winding up in the middle of some Stonemason/Illuminati ritual with a knife in my chest or something.

Anyway. yea. fuck.

Congrats on the quasi-incestual sex...?

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I think he's definitely hurting the people that he needs to be hurting, at least in this case.

(On another note, this is another piece of evidence for my argument that the American conservative is uncivilized and in fact has no real place in modern society. They vote for people who will engineer bad policy to hurt people within society while normal people vote for those who will engineer policy to help society in general. People like this person should legit be exiled. They only make civilized society worse by refusing to participate in it in good faith.)
100%. I'm over trying to educate people like this to their own benefit. They don't care. They're just angry at the world and see minorities as a fitting target of that anger. They fuck with the process and bring absolutely nothing to the table even when given the opportunity to play their role in the social contract. Put them on a boat and wave goodbye

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Anyway. yea. fuck.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 33887

Banned
Nov 20, 2017

Anyway. yea. fuck.

Whatever you do, don't drink the koolaid. Stay safe yo.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Soooooo... do Senate dems lend enough votes to reopen the government after Trump pulls this bullshit? Pelosi could just conveniently not bring anything new to the floor but that would start to look bad in a hurry. She could cut the DHS semi-legal rainy day fund but there are some good reasons that money exists and, again, it would look bad. I guess a plan of a more comprehensive border protection and possible immigration reform could be dangled out there, as no sane American thinks a border wall will solve everything.

Oct 26, 2017
Off to bed, but I'll stand behind my initial prediction that the speech/declaration/whatever will be used as cover to sign the bill, and that the shutdown has a good chance of ending this week.

As for the declaration, I only predict a court battle. We'll see.

I was saying the same thing to someone today. They were freaking out that Trump was going to start Martial Law next week. But I said this was simply an exit ramp for Trump to get off the Shutdown Expressway. I agree, Trump will declare a faux national emergency and then declare he doesn't need the Dems anymore and gives McTurtle his blessing to bring the bills to the floor. Government opens within a week. His Faux National Emergency will eat up a half dozen news cycles until some judge issues a stay for it to work up the courts in legal battles. Once Trump has found an adequate new distraction then Trump will quietly withdraw or lose his cases in the courts.

It's so transparent I don't understand how hardly anyone else can't see this. Trump is the Baby Huey of super villains . Trump definitely has evil policies but he's shown no capacity to govern or execute any of those evil policies. At the first bureaucratic obstacle, he just rattles his toy noise maker and throws his binky at someone. This isn't a serious plan.

And that's what has been pissed off at the 4 networks. I don't care if she's doing an Oval office address, this is clearly a stunt and the networks are allowing for the whole country to be manipulated and/or mislead. If the 4 networks don't have an immediate fact check after the address, then they truly would have learned nothing from 2016 or the last two years.

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
Nothing happens without pelsoi. I don't think there's going to be any type of grand bargain in this context.

We have an impetous inpatient president and I think they are just counting on Trump losing his patience in the near future, as he already has an "out" in declaring a national emergency. At that point Turmp loses all rationale for keeping the government shutdown and I think it will open shortly after that(the exact mechanism of that could be debate). Then the fight shifts to the courts with respect to the border wall

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Trump supporter on CNN on track to lose $1m on his business due to tarrifs won't say how he'll vote in 2020.

These people have drunk the koolaid. Just too shy to admit that he would rather lose his business because brown kids are in jail.

Look, those are some very fine people that had their culture belittled for decades and have to fight every day to undo the damage to their cause. How can they rest until they have taken back the N-word from "the blacks" and freely use it to show their superiority and hatred without being called racists?!

(Sorry, if I didn't go for gallows humor I'd probably punch some of those dirtbags)

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Look, those are some very fine people that had their culture belittled for decades and have to fight every day to undo the damage to their cause. How can they rest until they have taken back the N-word from "the blacks" and freely use it to show their superiority and hatred without being called racists?!

(Sorry, if I didn't go for gallows humor I'd probably punch some of those dirtbags)

If only the democrats stopped playing identity politics and addressed their economic anxiety.

Oct 26, 2017
Since the GOP is setting the precedent, can the next DEM President declare a National Emergency because mass shootings and have the military seize all assault weapons? Fair is fair.

Oct 26, 2017
Since the GOP is setting the precedent, can the next DEM President declare a National Emergency because mass shootings and have the military seize all assault weapons? Fair is fair.
HONESTLY?

the mass shooting thing, I honestly think any President should potentially declare a national emergency. It is a national emergency.

we need common sense gun laws to help prevent it + adequate mental health services for people that need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.