• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
The post about how 1/3 lb burgers inevitably fail because people are too stupid to understand that 1/3 > 1/4 makes this completely unsurprising.

The problem is that you can't fix stupid. Not even with more teaching.
Not even if you teach them least common denominator to change 1/3 and 1/4 to 4/12 and 3/12, respectively, and show that 1/3 is larger than 1/4?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was taught in economics in high school that shifting to a slightly higher tax bracket could net you less money overall.

There can be some very odd fringe cases, but those would involve someone deliberately refusing or excluding a deduction or loophole, or attempting to achieve some other weird financial goal by maxing out payments versus the year before when you had lower income. But it would have to be deliberate and likely only affects people who have loads of money and financial sophistication anyway. But it doesn't surprise me since economics is one of the most politically compromised "sciences" - the proof of which is that there are Libertarian economists. Which is hilarious because a Libertarian calculator would probably spell out "BOOBS" and then burst into flames.

Oct 25, 2017
Posted this here in response to this before, but my mom has an MBA and thought the same thing last time I brought it up. It's truly amazing how ignorant people can be.
It makes sense now why people get so angry at the prospect of taxing millionaires 70%. they legitimately think you'll end up with 30% total

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not even if you teach them least common denominator to change 1/3 and 1/4 to 4/12 and 3/12, respectively, and show that 1/3 is larger than 1/4?
I've had people argue with me that a BOGO promotion was bullshit when on their side it showed both items discounted 50% instead of one regular price and one at zero.

People are fucking idiots.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was taught in economics in high school that shifting to a slightly higher tax bracket could net you less money overall.
The is only true in two cases. The first is temporal issues- being paid 40K in 2018 and 2019 is going to be better than 80K in 2018 only. The other is when there are subsidies like the EITC and welfare in place that cut off at higher income levels and discourage working more unless you can overcome the donut hole.

The latter is a very real economics issue, but it's not going to apply for people who are going to be affected by higher marginal tax rates on upper income earners.

hinryu

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Nancy is just running circles on these fools. "Our border security will suffer if we do not resolve this issue (gov't shutdown)"

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. It was AP Economics. I don't remember the exact details since it has been years ago, but I remember we did some studying of tax brackets in that class.
There was actually a discussion on Econ Twitter yesterday about how HS AP Economics is strongly disliked for a number of reasons ranging from how the material's approached to professors feeling it weeds out women relative to the college Micro/Macro courses.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
God fucking help us all

If memory serves it was presented as in the case you're on the upper point of a tax bracket a 1K/yr might shift you into a new, higher tax bracket which results in a new % increase netting you less money overall than making 1k less/yr at the upper point of the old, lower tax bracket.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I never took AP Econ and my freshman year microecon was my hardest college course ever for me lol. Took macro a few years later and it was a breeze.

I was on that APUSH, APGOV, APEURO train.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. It was AP Economics. I don't remember the exact details since it has been years ago, but I remember we did some studying of tax brackets in that class.
Yeeesh, AP class no less.
We had none of this back home, I think they cover basic basic ideas of taxation in civics class, but I'm pretty sure we never got to that level.

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The is only true in two cases. The first is temporal issues- being paid 40K in 2018 and 2019 is going to be better than 80K in 2018 only. The other is when there are subsidies like the EITC and welfare in place that cut off at higher income levels and discourage working more unless you can overcome the donut hole.

The latter is a very real economics issue, but it's not going to apply for people who are going to be affected by higher marginal tax rates on upper income earners.

I thought it could technically be true when you are on the very upper limit of a tax bracket and get a slight bump in pay that brings you to the lower end of the next bracket. I certainly don't think it's common, but not unfathomable that it could occur.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Sarah Sanders @PressSec

The President will address the press in the Rose Garden and provide an update on the meeting with Congressional Leadership. This will be open press.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I took all of them I could except Gov. I only took Calc because I got into college fall semester so I just immediately stopped doing math homework, but if you took the AP test you got at least a C in the course. I got a 2 😤

Gov seemed like a waste of money at the time

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
A months long shutdown would ultimately trigger a global recession as all the dominos fall. Full stop.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't offer AP Econ at my high school, otherwise would've taken it. Had to settle for honors and it was a joke (the teacher just gave the textbook-supplied multiple choice tests). Took "honors" micro and macro in college. Only AP social studies class they had was Western Civ..... and I'd already taken Western Civ as a freshman before I transferred. :/

Had to settle with just AP English and French.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017

lmao this shit is over

He's going to learn he doesn't control everything.

Break that fucker in, democrats. Or you'll regret it for the rest of your run.

CvMbFG6.gif

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
1. i tend to think the people worried about making 'just one more dollar' means taking home less money because of tax brackets probably won't have to worry about higher tax brackets, first;

2. i also tend to think it's not as much about ignorance and education as it is intentional obfuscation by people who benefit from other people thinking it works this way. see: rich people / republicans;

3. all that said, taxes are pretty hard to understand!

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Posted this here in response to this before, but my mom has an MBA and thought the same thing last time I brought it up. It's truly amazing how ignorant people can be.

I admit I was an idiot who believed this well into adulthood. Our HS econ class was taught by the basketball coach. We were taught how to write checks and balance a checkbook, so there's that, but little overall theory.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
This whole thing will be another dark reminder for idiots everywhere who voted for him that Trump is in this for himself, his wallet and his ego.

He gives no shits about your jobs.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it could technically be true when you are on the very upper limit of a tax bracket and get a slight bump in pay that brings you to the lower end of the next bracket. I certainly don't think it's common, but not unfathomable that it could occur.
Nope, your first $X gets taxed at the lower rate, then you get taxed at the higher one.

Part of why people think this is that when automatic deductions are increased by their employer when their pay goes up that they are getting all that money taken away, when in reality they're going to get a tax refund.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
1. i tend to think the people worried about making 'just one more dollar' means taking home less money because of tax brackets probably won't have to worry about higher tax brackets, first;

2. i also tend to think it's not as much about ignorance and education as it is intentional obfuscation by people who benefit from other people thinking it works this way. see: rich people / republicans;

3. all that said, taxes are pretty hard to understand!
I think you're onto something with #2.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017

no, this is not true. only the amount above a certain threshold -- a bracket -- is taxed at the higher rate.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
I admit I was an idiot who believed this well into adulthood. Our HS econ class was taught by the basketball coach. We were taught how to write checks and balance a checkbook, so there's that, but little overall theory.

Hey, ours was too! Wish I took econ in college; I find it interesting but I have no idea where to start.
I can't figure this one out. What movie is that?

Attack of the Clones, which is far from the worst movie ever made. Not when stuff like Zaat exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.