• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
But what happens when he shows up on the gates of the Capitol like this? Then what Nancy!

tenor.gif
Is this a live stream?

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017

Slowly ticking closer to a world with all punditry, no journalism. Probably just the beginning as online news of any sort is really just not sustainable in the long term and it's too late for Facebook and Google to save it.

I work in the field and boy ... it's going to be hard to keep an eye on politicians in large parts of the country going forward.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Spoiler alert. Trump is going to claim that any shred of anything he gets out of this was his plan all along.

Like say this 5 billion goes through and he doesn't get the wall, he'll brag about how he didn't really want the wall and this was the plan all along.

Just be prepared for it.

I mean, I don't doubt he may go for that play, I just don't think right-wing media nor his base are going to eat that up like they've eaten up everything else. The promise of the wall has turned into a kind of required milestone for his presidency, so to try and say "I didn't really mean it!!" I think will go over like a lead balloon, even with his usual supporters.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
There never really has been a solid how to save journalism as we know it plan.

The big issue as well is that venture capitalists have arrived, bought up many papers and chains, merged them into behemoths and cut staff and corners to bleed these news organizations dry while extracting maximum profit for themselves and shareholders.

The venture capital groups don't intend to save journalism. They intend to milk it dry of profit and kill it when they've had their fill.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
The big issue as well is that venture capitalists have arrived, bought up many papers and chains, merged them into behemoths and cut staff and corners to bleed these news organizations dry while extracting maximum profit for themselves and shareholders.

The venture capital groups don't intend to save journalism. They intend to milk it dry of profit and kill it when they've had their fill.

It's why I think Bezos sucks in many ways, but his attitude to the WaPo isn't one of those ways. He just funds the paper and lets them do what they want - hire more staff, follow stories, whatevs. He's happy owning a piece of American history and letting it chug on.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's why I think Bezos sucks in many ways, but his attitude to the WaPo isn't one of those ways. He just funds the paper and lets them do what they want - hire more staff, follow stories, whatevs. He's happy owning a piece of American history and letting it chug on.

Well, the main point of those venture capital groups is to strip mine those papers for profit. The Post is just a capstone for Bezos.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017

I don't believe he owns WAPO out of keeping a relic alive. Owning a news org is one of the best ways to know where all the skeletons are in everyones closets. He bought in at a great time and is a business man.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017

Digital media in general is struggling (or perhaps consolidating)

Which is scary as the lack of strong media competition makes it easier for corporate propaganda to flourish — because those outlets don't need to be independently profitable if they're just seen as an investment for other interests. I say corporate but I'm including funding for right wing culture warring that is seen as an indirect way to push back against progressive economic policy.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
Can we also blame Google and Facebook for keeping most of the ad revenue and making money on content that isn't theirs?

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Can we also blame Google and Facebook for keeping most of the ad revenue and making money on content that isn't theirs?

This was predicted by many people years ago. Facebook gave out traffic to media companies like candy and then turned it off to start charging for that same access.

In the process, the media abdicated it's responsibility to build and maintain their audience, to acquire customers and completely became dependant on Facebook and the other social networks

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand

Amazing to think that, motivated by fear, the GOP and by extension conservative media in trying to neuter AOC have ended up helping her create a platform not only domestically but globally.

If they had just left her alone she wouldn't have anywhere near the visibility (and credibility) she currently does.

Dream start to her professional political career.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017

Which is scary as the lack of strong media competition makes it easier for corporate propaganda to flourish — because those outlets don't need to be independently profitable if they're just seen as an investment for other interests. I say corporate but I'm including funding for right wing culture warring that is seen as an indirect way to push back against progressive economic policy.

Given the lack of readership in the past decade I can see a mass consolidation happening. This is not good for anyone as most of the major city papers are not independently owned anymore.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump looked like shit today in that press spray. I think not being able to go to his golf courses is getting to him.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
You want to be careful about reading too much into a straw poll at a single website that represents a slice of the Democratic electorate, but the thing that leaps out at me the most is O'Rourke losing roughly half his support.

He's had a few negative stories about him since the election and is not campaigning (or saying much of anything) the last couple months, so until he does announce his numbers have nowhere to go but down.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I like how we have news that despacheeto intimidated a witness in a federal probe but it's like the 4th story of the day.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Interesting thing I just read - my pflugerville TX Facebook page has a thread about being frustrated about losing insurance and paychecks. Not very partisan, a few hits at trump and McConnell, but overall 98% are in an agreement and supportive in a city purple with slight blue hue. What really surprised me was someone came in with talking points bashing dems, the admins told him to cool it as they joined 1 hour ago, and then another user noted they had their location as Lubbock which is hundreds of miles away, and the guy changed to pflugerville just before getting banned. God damn, Russian trolls in small city groups.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

LOOK AT ALL THE JOBS THE TAX CUTS ARE SAVING

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
House dems are silent on it too. They should be on every news station yelling for impeachment proceedings
Look how well that worked with the BuzzFeed story.

Also, Cohen is a serial grifter. His default state of being is "full of shit".

The Democrats' responsibility is to investigate and to bring charges that have weight, not to engage in a media spectacle that can easily be twisted and also disincentivize future testimony from other witnesses and co-conspirators.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look how well that worked with the BuzzFeed story.

Also, Cohen is a serial grifter. His default state of being is "full of shit".

The Democrats' responsibility is to investigate and to bring charges that have weight, not to engage in a media spectacle that can easily be twisted and also disincentivize future testimony from other witnesses and co-conspirators.
Trump threatened a witness multiple times. That's a crime and an impeachable offense.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting thing I just read - my pflugerville TX Facebook page has a thread about being frustrated about losing insurance and paychecks. Not very partisan, a few hits at trump and McConnell, but overall 98% are in an agreement and supportive in a city purple with slight blue hue. What really surprised me was someone came in with talking points bashing dems, the admins told him to cool it as they joined 1 hour ago, and then another user noted they had their location as Lubbock which is hundreds of miles away, and the guy changed to pflugerville just before getting banned. God damn, Russian trolls in small city groups.

How is Pflugerville btw. Im moving there next week

Status
Not open for further replies.