• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
Buttigieg has the kind of blank canvas appeal and SMALL TOWN AMERICA sparkle to make outlets like the NYT swoon. Carry on Big Butti

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
5 billion for border security. Trump will be too proud to take it. Especially if the dems..get out the message that there is NO WALL included...

Never negotiating with terrorists cant work when terrrorists run half of the democratic system youre in.. So the dems were always going to be the responsible adults in the room. Theyre the only ones. The checks and balances on power need to be revisited. One branch has taken the country hostage and is shutting down the government well after they had 2 years to address this issue. Their own party couldnt agree. Thats a major flaw.

The dems were always going to be seen as caving. Because they actually want the government and democracy tp happen. The gop has proven every opportunity they get, that they hate the basic idea of democracy. Like voting. Thats the base level right there.

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea how I can be more clear in what I'm saying but I will try again -
I don't think giving one star to Lyft drivers you suspect voted Republican is a good idea, and I generally think that an America where people only do business with those who voted for the same party is unrealistic and undesirable.

Are there words there that you don't understand?
Also, what are you saying?

You're opening convo was this: "I never get any driver anything other than 5 stars and I doubt I ever will."

And went on to include reductive statements such as "What power does a Lyft driver has in our society? What exactly are you achieving when you fuck that person economically? "

and "As I said multiple times, I generally hate systems where employees compensation is directly tied to costumers feedback, and if we're talking here in the context of improving the Lyft service then sure, do what you want, I refuse to participate in that game, but that's not really what we're talking about here.
I mean, no one would have called me a racist sympathizer because I give five stars for people who drive a dirty car, right?

Which lead me back to my question of what the fuck are you trying achieve here?
Is your vision of America is one where Republicans and Democrats just don't engage each other with any economic activity?"

People have clearly expressed their concerns and have given you feedback anyway. You certainly don't have to agree with them, but demanding an ultimatum from them regarding party and economics, especially during a time where the President of the United States has clearly expressed that very thing and is using his positions to wield the economic damage you claim people in this thread are all for, is bordering on disingenuous.

It's time to move on from this. Thank you.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And this is what I mean by your priorities being out of whack.

No you wouldn't be getting called a racist sympathizer because you wouldn't be sympathizing with a racist.

But it is so important to you that people not participate in Lyft's system that you are willing to sympathize with racists because, to you, the racism becomes irrelevant in the face of your economic cause. It is just as relevant as having a dirty car.
So do you not know what you're trying to achieve with that or you do know, and you just don't want to tell me?
Should I ask that question in capital letters?
Can you at least explain to me why won't you answer that?

p.s.
I don't think racism is irrelevant in the face of economic cause, and while I'm trying to remain civil here, I'm kinda getting tired of being accused of such bullshit just because I'm not behind your slacktivist campaign of giving 1 star to Lyft drivers who are suspected of voting Republican.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I think if the clean CR vote fails on Thursday there needs to be a massive revolt by federal workers. Likewise if it does pass, Trump vetoes and it can't get overridden.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're opening convo was this: "I never get any driver anything other than 5 stars and I doubt I ever will."

And went on to include reductive statements such as "What power does a Lyft driver has in our society? What exactly are you achieving when you fuck that person economically? "

and "As I said multiple times, I generally hate systems where employees compensation is directly tied to costumers feedback, and if we're talking here in the context of improving the Lyft service then sure, do what you want, I refuse to participate in that game, but that's not really what we're talking about here.
I mean, no one would have called me a racist sympathizer because I give five stars for people who drive a dirty car, right?

Which lead me back to my question of what the fuck are you trying achieve here?
Is your vision of America is one where Republicans and Democrats just don't engage each other with any economic activity?"

People have clearly expressed their concerns and have given you feedback anyway. You certainly don't have to agree with them, but demanding an ultimatum from them regarding party and economics, especially during a time where the President of the United States has clearly expressed that very thing and is using his positions to wield the economic damage you claim people in this thread are all for, is bordering on disingenuous.

It's time to move on from this. Thank you.
So you still won't tell what you're trying to achieve with that?
Look at how many words you pour just to not answer that simple question.
Can you at least tell me why you won't tell me what you're trying to achieve with that?

p.s.
The only thing I tried to achieved here is to articulate why I don't like that type of political action, it's kinda weird that you quoted my explanations and then also wondered why I don't explain anything.
Do you not understand what I said or just don't agree?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I answered your question in my previous post. Read better.
So you can't tell me because you already told me before?
Can you point exactly where because I don't really see it.
Or you know, you could just repeat your position, I did repeat my position 10 times in this thread already, I mean you don't have to, but it's a nicer way to have a discussion.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Dems are giving 5 billion for border security, there better be some sweeteners in there like daca protections with pathway to citizenship.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
That Davos tweet just ruined my day. I thought better of Bill Gates.

Sometimes I feel like the fight for social and economic equality is just hopeless when you see how much power those people wield.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
So you can't tell me because you already told me before?
Can you point exactly where because I don't really see it.
No. Because the rhetorical tactic of repeatedly demanding the person you're engaged with restate their point while continuously repeating your own is just a method for avoiding having to engage with the point they are making.

It's transparent as fuck and it ain't cute.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
Right into AOCs social media trap. Can't what for response with these ghouls laughing it up a a rich getaway.

She was incredibly shrewd to pick 70% and 10 Million for the bracket.
The top bracket was 216k before Reagan's bullshit, i'd argue that was too low.
At 10 million, If you understand the basics of marginal taxes and still argue strongly against it you look like an ass.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017

Sometimes I feel like the fight for social and economic equality is just hopeless when you see how much power those people wield.
Bill Gates does a lot of great charitable work. The problem is that charity is no substitute for taxation, as Gates is well aware.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): arguing in bad faith across a series of posts, ignoring moderation
No. Because the rhetorical tactic of repeatedly demanding the person you're engaged with restate their point while continuously repeating your own is just a method for avoiding having to engage with the point they are making.

It's transparent as fuck and it ain't cute.
Really man?
It's one sentence, just tell me what you're trying to achieve with that. Are you really going to make a principled stance about keeping the goals of that a secret?

p.s.
Maybe I just can't read well enough, English is not my first language after all, so if anyone else in that tread managed to see where The Adder articulate the goals of that action, can they please point that out to me?
Assuming of course it doesn't go against your deep personal beliefs of [checks note] not clarifying one's positions.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
eally man?
It's one sentence, just tell me what you're trying to achieve with that. Are you really going to make a principled stance about keeping the goals of that a secret?
People have repeatedly told you their motivations and you've continued to repeatedly state they aren't telling you. To the point a model has called you on it. All the while refusing to engage with the rest of what anyone is saying.

So no, I won't indulge your willful obtuseness.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
this is gonna sound weird but what if instead of complaining about OT in this safe space y'all just destroyed bad arguments like the good ol' days

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Hahaha, this damn shutdown compromise etcetra thread...

kG5XWEd.jpg
Politics is hard yo

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Bill Gates' philanthropic efforts have largely rehabilitated his image but the origins of his fortune came from ruthless, illegal business practices. On the whole, he's done significant good but I don't think he's ever been some great champion of the middle-class.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017

There's some interesting implications here. This is a game of inches. Trump only really has room for movement amongst Republicans. If Republican approval numbers drop 10 points, he's only going to go down a few in the overall number. But it actually means the bottom is dropping out. We can't expect the overall nber to drop more than like ten points even if he's removed from office.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea how I can be more clear in what I'm saying but I will try again -
I don't think giving one star to Lyft drivers you suspect voted Republican is a good idea, and I generally think that an America where people only do business with those who voted for the same party is unrealistic and undesirable.

Are there words there that you don't understand?
Also, what are you saying?

Honestly, I'd give a 1-star rating to anyone that had any kind of obviously partisan talk radio or podcast on in my Uber or Lyft - left or right. When you're driving for either of those services your car is no longer your personal space but a place of business in which you are serving clients. It's the same reason I take umbrage to waiting rooms having TVs tuned to tv news channels.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn about the offer.

-on the one hand, Trump's base probably won't go for it anyway, so it might just be a gambit to make him look unreasonable; and if McConnel can refuse to pass a continuing CR that he actually passed to end this shutdown, we can always Change our minds later.

-Trump's numbers are in free-fall, as are Republicans'. The longer this shutdown goes on, the easier it will be to impeach or beat him in 2020. It's the only thing that's made a dent in his conservative/Republican support, the voters we most need to peel off to impeach.

-I'm not saying we should cynically prolong the shutdown for political gain, but if it's putting that much hurt on Trump, why shouldn't we hold out for a complete cave on his part?

-okay, maybe I am saying that. Either he caves, and his presidency is over, or he lets the shutdown last for months, and his presidency is over. The only way Trump emerges from this as anything but a lame duck is if congressional Democrats bail him out. Given how much suffering his administration has inflicted, it might be the least bad option.

-The game theoretic implications of compromise are terrible. You don't negotiate with terrorists. Trump has inflicted a breathtaking amount of squandered misery on the American people to try to pass a racist project that's less popular than Nixon was on the eve of his resignation. If he gets even a scintilla of utility out of it, we'll be here again, whether it's Trump or another irresponsible Republican.

-Okay, I've written a lot about the reasons to dislike the deal, but there are plenty of obvious reasons to want it. People are starting to have difficulty making ends meet. If it goes on for too long, it could deal structural damage to the economy, with businesses in DC and other areas that rely on federal money shutting down. People can't get the federal benefits they need. They're talking about downgrading our credit rating, and for good reason. God only knows what happens if we're still shut down when the debt ceiling comes around. The costs of not ending the shutdown could be catastrophic.

So I guess my only reaction in the end is a giant shrug emoji.

Oct 25, 2017

I would argue that a large part of Gate's second life as a philanthropist is an attempt to keep the world in it's current status quo. He is making the argument that the super rich got super rich because of their moral superiority and giant brains and so they are the only ones who should be looked to to solve the world's problems. The entire thing is an argument that the world needs more income equality to improve because then the right people will have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.