• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

dead2.gif

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
This is a great breakdown of a hard-to-see issue for a lot of people, glad she's saying this so plainly and that a lot of people will get to see it.
Was watching AOC's live stream the other night. It's amazing the things she doesn't take for granted. Not only was she explaining her policy in-depth and in simple terms, but she didn't even assume the viewer knew who MLK was. She's such a great entry point for all young people getting interested in politics. And a breath of fresh air from the politicians who purposely obscure their language so they're effectively saying nothing.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I love that she just calls all this bullshit out.

I was excited about AOC winning the primary but didn't really get on the same hype bandwagon as most others afterward... until she got to Congress. Ever since she was sworn in I've been blown away by her ability to succinctly strip down GOP bullshit talking points and call them out for the lies they are. I don't know if I've ever seen a politician do this so effectively in my lifetime, Obama included.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday I stumbled about this quote by one of the Russian Orthodox Churches spokespersons:

In combination with a quote of Moscow Patriarch Kirill:

The Russian orthodox church has formed a very warm relationship with the Kremlin over the past 20 years (coming from complete suppression of the church and basically state sanctioned atheism in the soviet union, thats quite a feat).

What happened is that Putin recognized the church as a useful tool. Not only can it give legitimacy to the political elite, but its nationalist and "identitarian" message is also clearly anti-western. It basically refutes the notion that "all men are created equal" and instead puts interests of national, cultural and religious identity above individualist rights.

This sounds rather extremist, but I'd say that the American religious right shows the very same ideological tendencies in their arguments and actions.

Putin is exploiting that hard. He is trying to push this alternative world view, thats ideological deeply anti-western, and sells it to people in the US and Europe as different forms of nationalism and/or a cultural/religious fight for survival. (against, individualism, pluralism, secularism etc.)
This way nobody notices that whats actually under attack here is the western value system of the past 80 years, and instead everyone thinks they, as in their national/cultural/religious identity, are under attack.

I think during all this trouble its important to keep in mind why Russia is involving itself in international politics again and what their goals are.

The Russian orthodox church still clings to notion that Russia is the Third Rome and the tsar was therefore God's ruler on earth. There's a reason the Soviets hated it and it's not just because it competed for people's hearts.

(not to say the Soviets should have been killing priests or anything)

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
The Russian orthodox church still clings to notion that Russia is the Third Rome and the tsar was therefore God's ruler on earth. There's a reason the Soviets hated it and it's not just because it competed for people's hearts.

My understanding was that the Orthodox church has always encouraged secular authoritarianism or absolutism because they were cowed by the powerful Byzantines early on, while the Pope stood above the kings in the west so cultivating the idea that the king was not completely supreme.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Cardi B should perform at the convention.

I don't even like her music. But she has earned herself a spot.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
More chum in the Pompeo swimming towards safer waters.

Hrmm...hopefully if true he's still got some of that Brownback Stank on him.

In concert with Konstantin Kilimnik sure rolls off the tongue.

OH RIGHT THAT.

Plus Manafort having "advice" about cabinet secretaries (specifically via the Steele Dossier, T-Rex for Mittens). Man, Mueller is sitting on some shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

PAUL MANAFORT
— L I V E —
from Alexandria Detention Center
IN CONCERT with KONSTANTIN KILIMNIK

"$150k to the Inauguration at the Gates!"

"yunno maybee i shud carri watrr for maga hat kid durrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" is not a winning gameplan for one's day.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My understanding was that the Orthodox church has always encouraged secular authoritarianism or absolutism because they were cowed by the powerful Byzantines early on, while the Pope stood above the kings in the west so cultivating the idea that the king was not completely supreme.

Right, since the bishop of Constantinople was in the capital with the Emperor, the Emperor was (usually) able to keep the church under his thumb. The Emperor called for ecumenical councils, his court was seen as a reflection of the heavenly court, etc. But since the pope was a religious unifier in a fragmented West and could be a major political player (like during the crowning of Charlemagne), and also because the pope could claim to be the inhabitant of Peter's seat, he was able to grow in power and claim that he was above secular rulers.

So the Orthodox church has always played backup to the secular authority.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Has the MAGA kid already been rahabiliated by the media or something? I've already seen in a couple of places that we don't know the whole story.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Fox Headline: AOC spends evening talking about video games instead of working with Pelosi and other Democrats to re-open the government.

Just how immature is she to continue to discuss video games at 28? Hannity will analyze at 10.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Trump retweeted several GOP senators and they all basically say the same thing about a proposal and blah blah blah.

If only Democrats had the ability to get in such lock step so quickly.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Trump retweeted several GOP senators and they all basically say the same thing about a proposal and blah blah blah.

If only Democrats had the ability to get in such lock step so quickly.

Our problem is that we are usually independant thinkers over all so we actually talk through problems and don't fall lockstep behind everything.

Also we have a need to make sense are actually have a plan most of the time so that kinda slows us down.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich

Yeah, but Putin doesn't need to buy into that to instrumentalize the church.
All he sells is a "distinct civilization", which is basically a Russian version of American exceptionalism. Both ultimately represent the foundation for nationalist authoritarianism.

The point this would suggest about Trump(being a Russian puppet) is that he is not a populist or political extremist, but he rather represents an ideological outlook thats fundamentally different from everything the West has taken for granted over the past 80 years.
The funny thing is that while many in Russia see western values as something diametrically opposed to their own, Trump is selling these same values that completely fly in the face of what we call Western values, as patriotism.
And half of the country doesn't realize this.

From a civilizational perspective thats quite concerning. Western values aim to be universal, for example human rights. Russia and China have long seen that as inappropriate and reflective of the Wests power ambitions. But the Wests argument stands on even weaker footing when it turns out that half the western population doesn't even understand the values it tries to spread as universal values to the world.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Our problem is that we are usually independant thinkers over all so we actually talk through problems and don't fall lockstep behind everything.

Also we have a need to make sense are actually have a plan most of the time so that kinda slows us down.
Except Dems ARE in lockstep this time.

Except for Tootsie Garbage but who cares about her

Status
Not open for further replies.