• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes!

I have to say, the worst of the right reminding people that they would only be getting a portion of the wall when trump never mentions it is pretty satisfying.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
DxTshCAX0AACq6Q.jpg:large

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
The typical response from the right will to blame the Dems even more for not passing a bill that gives them DACA.

I am tired of the GOP's song and dance now.

It's as stale and old as Xtincta.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
So, in the OT thread someone pointed out that Turtle was going to bring this Trump plan to a vote.

So wait,

Turtle is going to hold a vote that can't get 60 votes,
On a bill Trump's base does not like.
Forcing the GOP to choose between pissing of their base or not making it to 50 votes, let alone the 60 needed.

Turtle is a Genius!
(at failing)

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Nancy Pelosi @SpeakerPelosi

What is original in the President's proposal is not good. What is good in the proposal is not original. Democrats will vote next week to add additional border security funding for ports of entry, advanced technology for scanning vehicles for drugs & immigration judges.

What we didn't hear from the President was any sympathy for the federal workers who face so much uncertainty because of the chaos of the #TrumpShutdown.

Craig Caplan @CraigCaplan

Schumer after WH offer continues to call for POTUS to reopen gov't & then negotiate:"It was the President who singled-handedly took away DACA & TPS protections in the first place–offering some protections back in exchange for the wall is not a compromise but more hostage taking."

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Pelosi is at the Women's March in San Francisco.

.... and I just shook her hand.
Did you tell her how were stanning for her over here?

What is original in the President's proposal is not good. What is good in the proposal is not original. Democrats will vote next week to add additional border security funding for ports of entry, advanced technology for scanning vehicles for drugs & immigration judges.

What we didn't hear from the President was any sympathy for the federal workers who face so much uncertainty because of the chaos of the #TrumpShutdown.

Craig Caplan @CraigCaplan

Schumer after WH offer continues to call for POTUS to reopen gov't & then negotiate:"It was the President who singled-handedly took away DACA & TPS protections in the first place–offering some protections back in exchange for the wall is not a compromise but more hostage taking."

I gotta give where credit is due. You did well Chuck.

Oct 26, 2017
Am I the only one who doesn't want AOC to make a Presidential run one day? Not because I don't like her, because I do, but because I'd rather we have charismatic, seemingly competent (I say seemingly due to her not having a proven record of whipping and passing legislation yet) politician in the legislature. A major issue with the republic right now is the continually growing power of the Presidency at the expense of the Legislature. I believe that for the long term health of the republic, we need her and folks like her to be in Congress who are able and willing to counteract the Bully Pulpit. Otherwise we're just going to see a continual slide towards and the Imperial Presidency.

If there was a Like feature, I would like this post.

I agree we need more "bigger than life" personalities in Congress. Pushing all the charismatic people toward the Executive Branch isn't the way to solve the gridlock. I'm getting annoyed at the over the top fawning of AOC around here, but I think it's going to be great if she can make serving in Congress "cool" again and bring a whole new generation into Congress and help women and minorities feel they have a place and a voice in government.

What's also great about AOC is that the Right has been trying to do a Pelosi / Hilary hit job on her to make her a scary liberal, but so far most of the attacks have been ineffective and her voice has just gotten stronger. Imagine if we have a House or Senate ranking member or leader that not only can't be vilified by the Right but has a social/media presence not far off from the President itself. It might even stop the cycle of the House constantly rubber-banding away from Democrats because they would have someone who isn't afraid to stand tall and fight for a progressive agenda instead cowardly hiding from it during mid-terms or when new legislation is passed. If we had a couple of AOC type figures in Congress in the summer of 2010 unashamedly fighting for the ACA with media savvy, then maybe midterm loss wouldn't have been so bad if at all.

Al Franken had the potential to be that kind of voice in the Senate, but we all know how that ended... To have a functional government in this day and age we need good communicators on the legislative side, otherwise we will indeed see a slide to a Imperial Presidency. I have no idea if AOC has the head for legislative strategy and the inside game, so I'm not going to proclaim she should be Speaker one day just yet. But definitely could see her becoming a ranking member and being the "Media Voice" of the House, assuming she doesn't burn out. I think with the government shutdown it hasn't been easy for her to transition to the actual work, but eventually she'll need to put her head down and learn the gritty details of thee job if she wants to be more than a media personality.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Kirsten Gillibrand @SenGillibrand

Trump ordered the end of DACA and TPS. Then he shut down the government. Now he's holding federal workers hostage, saying he'll temporarily give back what he took away—only if we give him a pointless, ineffective wall he falsely promised Mexico would pay for. This is a bad deal.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Exactly. We can still get the policies we want without resorting to compromise. Medicare For All is supported by most people so there's no reason to feel the need to get this or anything else in exchange for a racist border wall.

Being popular in polls for average Americans only goes so far in congress itself, the deal making in there requires compromise to go anywhere. A politician can't just rock up in congress with MfA and get the votes to pass it.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Yamiche Alcindor @Yamiche

Another important thing to note: VP Pence said that he and others have been talking to "rank and file" Democrats and got the idea to add TPS and DACA from those conversations. Translation: The WH is looking for Dems to break ranks with Pelosi and Schumer and support Trump's plan.

Seung Min Kim @seungminkim

Procedural vote to advance Trump's proposal in the Senate is looking like it'll be held Thursday - day before the affected fed employees miss their second paycheck

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Why are they waiting until thursday to take the vote? Do they really think they can use that time to convince democrats or are they dragging their feet because they like having the government shut down?

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I see.

If those optics honestly matter, Pelosi could just schedule another vote for a clean CR the same day.

Pelosi will keep putting up CR votes daily or something of the sort as they have been doing. The gambit here, which is honestly fairly stupid, is that they can shift the blame from themselves by holding the vote close to the date in question but there's really been no apparent shift or showing of the public openly blaming Democrats at any real point in this whole debacle.

The other issue McConnell faces is that he's basically played in Pelosi/AOC's hands in that they have now for a week+ by the time the vote occurs, been openly pinning blame on him for playing politics and running away from clean CR bills that can definitely pass unanimously.

Had Democrats had a worse message, maybe this gambit works but the public opinion is already such a stark one-sided affair that this is likely a play to backfire for McConnell/Trump with their base than rile any of the general public to suddenly start blaming democrats.

The people missing their checks aren't going to suddenly shift the blame from the people responsible to someone else just because of one vote delayed to right before their paychecks are missing for the second time. Heck, delaying the vote on this (especially if it were to somehow actually woo the furloughed workers) makes it all the more painful from a "using us as hostages" point of view because if it were an honest bill it'd be brought up immediately so that these workers can get their pay. I could easily see these actions actually result in even MORE contempt for McConnell.

Really, Pelosi and the AOC plays around #wheresmitch and #trumpshutdown really make it damn near impossible for the public to blame any one but those two fucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.