• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Buzzfeed seems adamant enough that there has to be something fishy going on here

A backfire like this pretty much kills your credibility forever with how large of a story this is.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
I'm not sure what it matters right now either way. I don't think the Special Council will clarify their statement. I don't think Buzzfeed News will be able to 100% confirm the veracity of their reporting either way. The only thing that actually has a chance of having any impact in terms of impeachment proceedings, etc. is Mueller's report. That was the case before the news broke yesterday, and that's still the case today, even if the Buzzfeed News article is 100% accurate.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure what it matters right now either way. I don't think the Special Council will clarify their statement. I don't think Buzzfeed News will be able to 100% confirm the veracity of their reporting either way. The only thing that actually has a chance of having any impact in terms of impeachment proceedings, etc. is Mueller's report. That was the case before the news broke yesterday, and that's still the case today, even if the Buzzfeed News article is 100% accurate.

Those are my thoughts as well. BuzzFeed's report is its report and the sepcial council's statement is going to be its statement for the time being.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
No question the SC will not issue a clarification. This isn't a debate, and I think BF are silly to expect a back and forth dialogue with Mueller.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
Buzzfeed seems adamant enough that there has to be something fishy going on here

A backfire like this pretty much kills your credibility forever with how large of a story this is.

Its actually possible for both to be right given the nature of how FBI investigators function, and especially one like this where they won't say anything on the subject matter till they are ready to report. For instance if its not something they have publicly acknowledged but could be deliberating internally they will likely state any position of guilt or conclusion into pieces of evidence to be false. They are likely disputing buzzfeed mischaracterized their evidence, as evidence of a specific intent since that is not a characterization they have made publicly yet and will not till they file a public report. They are speaking out at this time because they also know the implication of what was stated and they dont want those conclusions to be something they claimed at this time.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
We keep speculating that Trump's people have been spreading the "Mueller's almost done" rumors but what are the odds that they're actually coming from SDNY leakers who are itchy to finish the investigation because they think they have all the evidence they need? They've proven to be super leaky between the Clinton stuff and now this. It would explain why the press keeps reporting it because they assume that these claims might be valid.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My thinking then is this is not a controlled leak at all and Mueller is fucking pissed.

A fucking airtight ship sprung a leak and he is fucking mad as hell.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
My thinking then is this is not a controlled leak at all and Mueller is fucking pissed.

If it leaked it wasn't directly from special counsel but from SDNY or a paper pusher between all the players. I am actually impressed with how well they have kept leaks out of the media.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Ben Smith on Maddow: their sources on the story stand by Buzzfeed's reporting post-publication. *shrug emoji*

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of Republicans and Trump are probably feeling confused about Mueller right now. This'll add fire to the conspiracy theorists about how Mueller is actually a secret Trump agent or something though.

Mulberry

Oct 28, 2017
I still think that Mueller needed to pump the brakes on all the impeachment talk. Members of Congress had started talking about wanting Mueller to give out info prematurely so they could start impeachment proceedings. He's not done and the accusations were too close to what was going on with Nixon and actually what Clinton was impeached for.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
This is an amazing response that makes the detractors look absolutely terrible.

The detractors are terrible, but this is an amazing response. Really brings the issue out of the world of politics and into the day to day reality she needs to message in if she is going to win the presidency. She isn't the biggest personality/name running but if she can master giving answers like this it won't matter.

The only tiniest negative is If she said this the first time during a debate, it would have got her more shine for it. I highly doubt any Democrat would have have challenged on this, but if they did, this would have been a dagger. If it's her in the general election, Trump will, of course, run full speed into because.....he's an idiot.

Vixdean

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Description. Specific. Characterization. Accurate. The only thing I take from that statement is: "That shit didn't come from us, slow your roll folks.". The core of the story is true, but don't take BF as gospel, wait for our report. It was a statement directed at House Dems telling them to HOLD.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017

Mueller would never set out a controlled leak. He can't risk jeopardizing the public's trust in his work like that.

We obviously won't know Buzzfeed's sources, but I think the chances they are in Mueller's camp is very low.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
In other, disputed reporting ...

U.S. officials spoke with officials from Ecuador's British embassy on Friday about an alleged meeting there between President Donald Trump's former campaign manager, Paul Manafort, and WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, an Ecuadorean government source said.

The Guardian newspaper reported the meeting in November, alleging the two met at least three times, including in 2016, just before WikiLeaks released damaging emails about Trump's rival in the 2016 presidential elections, Hillary Clinton.

Manafort and Assange have both previously denied meeting each other at the embassy.
WikiLeaks, in a statement on Friday entitled the "U.S. interrogation of Ecuadorian diplomats," accused Ecuador's government of assisting the United States in prosecuting Assange, who first sought asylum in the embassy in 2012.

The source said the embassy officials, at the request of the U.S. Justice Department, provided testimony in Quito at facilities provided by Ecuadorean authorities.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia-manafort-idUSKCN1PD02B

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Augh. Trump and Pence telling anti-abortion people they have their support.

Patriots probably going to the superbowl again.

I hate this fucking timeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.