• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Pelosi has apparently reached a deal with the rebels involving term limits for the top three leadership positions (Speaker, Majority Leader, and Whip), BUT
I'm rarely in favor of term limits, but 4 more years of Nancy sounds about right to me. Being in a situation where current leadership is the only viable leadership is increasingly untenable.

I hope this gets voted down by the caucus, but there definitely need to be mechanisms in place to keep us from having leaders who stick around for 20+ years in future, with little upward movement from other members (but I worry about getting leadership from "unsafe" representatives—I'd rather have persistent leadership than a revolving door of people getting voted out of office).

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
I'm rarely in favor of term limits, but 4 more years of Nancy sounds about right to me. Being in a situation where current leadership is the only viable leadership is increasingly untenable.
Her two previous terms as Speaker would count retroactively, meaning this upcoming one will be her last if she "abides by the term limits regardless of outcome" (i.e., she planned to retire anyway).
I don't know that Hoyer would've necessarily retired after this term. He seems really intent on running for speaker.
I mean, he'll be going on 82 in 2021. I hope he's realized that his time has probably passed.

Which probably makes him hate Pelosi even more for beating him in the whip contest in 2001. Stay mad, Steny.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
That Schumer burn was so amazing.

"When the President is boasting about winning Nebraska and Idaho, you know he's in real trouble."
"But we did win those Chuck!"

Trump's so fuckzing stupid.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
Damn, Nancy! I missed this one

The Queen of shade. This made me a Nancy stan instantly

"I knew going into that meeting that the President was going to say something stupid and that I was going to have to call him out. And I didn't want the American people to see the President say something stupid and then have me call him out. So, the reason I was in favour of a private meeting is I didn't want to embarrass the President when I correctly anticipated that he would say something stupid and I would call him out."

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

"When the President is boasting about winning Nebraska and Idaho, you know he's in real trouble."

Yea that exchange was an eye-opener. Trump's response was more oblivious than even my low expectations could have predicted.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017

Speaking of this, I just noticed this super dumb part of the 2018 midterms wiki entry.

Pundits, journalists and political leaders differed in their assessment of the 2018 elections—some saw the elections as a major victory for Democrats, as it resulted in their largest one-time gain of House seats since the 1974 elections. Others[who?] pointed to mixed results in the state elections and Republican gains in the Senate, as the 2018 elections represented the first net gain of Senate seats for the party holding the presidency since the 2002 elections.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I do question what exactly is his hangup over the wall though. I mean even if its a campaign promise he fails to accomplish and he fears the failure, his base probably won't care so long as his twitter feed and rallies remain racist. It's not like I imagine anyone grousing about how Trump just can't seem to get that thing built so therefore its time to vote for someone else!

Maybe he really truly believes its effective because he's a moron?
Maybe he has had such a run of awful news, wall funding could be enough to reignite his poll numbers?
Maybe he just knows its a news-worthy excuse to bitch at Dems and create a bad-faith narrative? (Actually this is it right?)

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
It's his Great Pumpkin play. Con gotta roll on so give them something to hope for but it juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust cant quite be delivered.

Even the Trump supporters are too comfy to actually want to lead a violent revolution. There's a reason we don't see mass spontaneous protests and riots break out in this country when something bad happens. People got work and kids, man. Plus they gotta play the new Smash game.

Liberals protest. Only the hardest of Righties protest. With murder.

Let the fucking South revolt, we'll just redo Reconstruction properly this time.

That's not the schism now and hasn't been for a bit.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Her two previous terms as Speaker would count retroactively, meaning this upcoming one will be her last if she "abides by the term limits regardless of outcome" (i.e., she planned to retire anyway).
She could get a fourth. It would be harder to do, but likely not impossible given her unique skillset.

I don't envision her staying on until 2022, but the possibility remains if she's needed (like if we don't have control anywhere else, or if all the new hot faces don't get re-elected).

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I do question what exactly is his hangup over the wall though. I mean even if its a campaign promise he fails to accomplish and he fears the failure, his base probably won't care so long as his twitter feed and rallies remain racist. It's not like I imagine anyone grousing about how Trump just can't seem to get that thing built so therefore its time to vote for someone else!

Maybe he has had such a run of awful news, wall funding could be enough to reignite his poll numbers?
Maybe he just knows its a news-worthy excuse to bitch at Dems and create a bad-faith narrative? (Actually this is it right?)

It isn't a mere campaign promise. It's the thing on which his entire presidency was built. He has and had no other concrete plans or goals. This was it. And it's something he thinks he can win on.

He will lose and this will fail and Trump will be a nothing president in our history.

As covered above:

It's his Great Pumpkin play. Con gotta roll on so give them something to hope for but it juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust cant quite be delivered.

That's not the schism now and hasn't been for a bit.

Right. Rural vs. Urban (except in Alaska).

Touchdown

Oct 25, 2017
DuMF9m5XgAAGgQj.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DuMF9m5XgAAGgQj.jpg

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason they call it the Ben Shapiro project...

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Gay people don't feel safe in society specifically because of conservative cretins who try to justify mistreating people based on their sexuality, to say nothing of other members of the LGBTQ2S+ community i.e. telling trans people which restrooms they can/not piss in.

Fuck off, Trotter.

Oct 30, 2017
Huh, I must've missed when they started trying conversion therapy for conservatives or when they started trying to "pray the conservatism away." What a load.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pelosi has apparently reached a deal with the rebels involving term limits for the top three leadership positions (Speaker, Majority Leader, and Whip), BUT

My reading of the situation: Pelosi, Hoyer, and Clyburn already intended to retire and would've with or without this deal. But now Pelosi can say she brought term limits to a vote and adhered to them even if the vote fails in the caucus.

Again, when she already intended to leave, anyway. Wink wink.

The deal is a maximum of three terms with an option for more only if 2/3 of the caucus votes to let the person stay.

I think the 2/3 will be a sticking point and might lead to this failing in an internal vote, but again, Pelosi can say she upheld her end of the bargain by allowing the vote and respecting the term limits regardless of outcome (again, wink wink; let them think that they made you retire when you planned to).

As the late Claiborne Pell once said, "Let the other fellow have your way."

None of them are stupid, they all know this same thing you mentioned. The point is that they at least get to vote on it rather than be pushed aside. If it pass it pass if it doesn't then at least voices were heard.

Pro-coal Manchin ending up on the energy committee isn't even a top 500 "what's wrong with the government currently" concern, and it's not something that's going to cause any damage. And it's another case where he actually represents his state. I don't recall him being a climate denier--a thing that would actually be disqualifying, which might raise this to, uh, top 250. Maybe. At worst.

Today was a sneak peek of Pelosi making Trump's life a living nightmare for the next 2 years, so let's just try to look forward to that for now. Can't do much about the senate.

Nah, it was still a dumb and unnecessary move. Come when we get power he shouldn't be there honestly.

Last edited:

Titik

Oct 25, 2017

He genuinely its what won him the presidency ad thinks it can really work.

Oct 26, 2017
Chuck Schumer was a bust for most of 2018 but he delivered in that bizarre on-camera meeting. I like how Chuck barely looked at Trump. Dismissive and mocking all at the same time. This is how all officials should treat Trump, like a petulant little child that he is.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Chuck Schumer was a bust for most of 2018 but he delivered in that bizarre on-camera meeting. I like how Chuck barely looked at Trump. Dismissive and mocking all at the same time. This is how all officials should treat Trump, like a petulant little child that he is.
I disagree - Chuck looked awkward and weak as hell. He should have looked Trump in the eye and talked down to him in front of the entire press.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree - Chuck looked awkward and weak as hell. He should have looked Trump in the eye and talked down to him in front of the entire press.
Trump was throwing a tantrum, you don't engage when kids do that. You just stand there and let them wear themselves out. They made Trump look like a petulant child.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
You don't look at eyes of someone you are talking to if yoy don't respect them.
Weren't Nancy and Chuck legitimately trying to avoid having a big on-camera fight? Didn't they keep saying "let's not do this in front of the cameras"? I was under the impression that they only stuck the knife in once Trump pushed the confrontation, so Schumer's body language struck me as someone trying to avoid confrontation. And then Trump forced the issue and because he genuinely didn't understand it, was easily humiliated.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
What in the world is going on in the UK? Is May about to get ousted? Omg. Thanks UK for making us look less crazy for at least several days.

And frankly will a no confidence vote even change anything regarding Brexit's viability?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
But for real Trump and May's dueling bad days of the last week has been the best thing for the world in a long time

Status
Not open for further replies.