• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
I'm still laughing that people actually think "he's too much like Obama" is an effective political attack. Like, how can you actually trust these people to run a general election campaign against Trump? They'll probably open with "you know, the problem with Trump, is he's too much like Reagan!".

Bingo. Divide and conquer, especially with how the suburban swinging is accellerating.

Nancy has really stepped up her troll game lately. Maybe she's been reading her namesake's comic?

Post-election and has been doing crunch symposiums with Lieu for working up extra viciousness.

Oct 25, 2017
Good on them actually. The criticism of the whaling operations exaggerate the situation and it wasn't really worth dealing with anymore. They are hunting at responsible levels and only common species, plus it tastes pretty damn good.

This is gross and sad.

Bernie's shtick is addressing the ordinary working people directly and he's right in thinking that putting identity politics at the forefront and running a PC outrage campaign is horrible strategy. I absolutely agree social issues are of top priority, but, at the same time, some of these issues stem from economic divides and Bernie thinks his policies would help tackle them. Ideas like tuition-free college and universal healthcare that Bernie is championing would make higher education and healthcare much more accessible to social groups and minorities that would otherwise struggle to get there and I feel like Bernie should point that out more often.

But yes, I get why some of his remarks on social issues come off as tone deaf. I think this has to do with Bernie being from one of the whitest states in the Union and not being very in touch with the struggles minorities are facing. But at the same time, saying that Bernie's remarks are as offensive or stupid as Biden's is a huge overstatement IMO.

Sanders lost me permanently when he attempted to dismiss Planned Parenthood as the "political establishment". I would definitely put that in the same category as Biden's dumb shit. Both Biden and Sanders have a tendency to attack and dismiss things in a cavalier and ignorant fashion that I find disqualifying. It's funny when it's Biden laughing at Paul Ryan or Sanders railing against Wall Street, but both of them shoot from the hip and often wildly miss the mark.

I don't want either of them anywhere near the Presidency because I think they both lack the perspective necessary to have empathy for people in situations outside of their core world views.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie's shtick is addressing the ordinary working people directly and he's right in thinking that putting identity politics at the forefront and running a PC outrage campaign is horrible strategy. I absolutely agree social issues are of top priority, but, at the same time, some of these issues stem from economic divides and Bernie thinks his policies would help tackle them. Ideas like tuition-free college and universal healthcare that Bernie is championing would make higher education and healthcare much more accessible to social groups and minorities that would otherwise struggle to get there and I feel like Bernie should point that out more often.

But yes, I get why some of his remarks on social issues come off as tone deaf. I think this has to do with Bernie being from one of the whitest states in the Union and not being very in touch with the struggles minorities are facing. But at the same time, saying that Bernie's remarks are as offensive or stupid as Biden's is a huge overstatement IMO.

You do know that all research shows that free-college would mainly benefit people and groups that already get into college and pay for them? Middle Class White people?

The majority of minorites that need help, need it to even graduate high school in a fashion taht they are even prepared for college, much less pay for it.

ZeroRed

Oct 27, 2017
94c8bce5-afad-4073-a3ff-c2a99801ac4f-122618-Suffolk-USAT-poll-Democrats_Online.png
This is "I don't know what I truly want, but I know what I DON'T want!" the chart.
Anyone who's ever had a dumbass boss knows what i'm talking about.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What Bernie misses is that Americans won't accept socialized medicine or college tuition as long as minorities (specifically, blacks and immigrants) have equal access to it. The idea of my tax dollars going to help those people is morally abhorrent to them, much in the same way that the religious right fights tooth and nail to defund women's health initiatives (hurting all women) just to stop abortions and premarital sex. Racism is the elephant in the room that needs to be addressed or you can't even have that conversation.
Black people receive benefits from medicare and social security, and not even white people in the state of Mississippi want it repealed.
It's true that is racism used as way to get white people to vote against their economic interests, but if you put an actual good welfare program that helps people, they will learn to love it.
I also think that saying that we can't do big welfare programs until we end racism pretty much says that we can't do big welfare programs, and I refuse to be that defeatist, not to mention that all the welfare programs the US does have were passed in the time that the US was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more racist than it is right now.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Black people receive benefits from medicare and social security, and not even white people in the state of Mississippi want it repealed.
It's true that is racism used as way to get white people to vote against their economic interests, but if you put an actual good welfare program that helps people, they will learn to love it.
I also think that saying that we can't do big welfare programs until we end racism pretty much says that we can't do big welfare programs, and I refuse to be that defeatist, not to mention that all the welfare programs the US does have were passed in the time that the US was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more racist than it is right now.

You do know social security wasn't even allow d for non-whites when it was first implemented? And that is one of the big reasons it was passed?

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

The problem with the statement about "putting identity politics at the forefront and running a PC outrage campaign" is that it's not really true of Democratic politics. Even in 2016 (when you could arguably say Hillary tried, unsuccessfully to tap into this), North Carolina - a state that Trump won by three points - was ground zero for trans bathroom issues and their Republican governor fucking lost. Or look at Virginia in 2017, with Danica Roem's historic campaign. All her opponent could do was attack her for being a trans woman, including deliberately misgendering her in official statements, and was the primary sponsor of Virginia's own bathroom bill. Roem's campaign focused on healthcare and local infrastructure and she won handily.

Complaining about "identity politics" is the left equivalent of Fox News pushing the "Liberals don't want you to say Merry Christmas" narrative. No one on the left is pushing "identity politics" to the forefront of the conversation, or at least no one in the mainstream, and yet the myth persists. The same people also spent most of 2018 complaining that Democrats had no platform other than opposing Trump, even when like 90% of their campaign strategy centered around healthcare and didn't mention Trump. Suggesting that the problem with the Democratic Party in 2018 is that it focuses too strongly on "identity politics" is coded language for "the party's not white enough."

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Dow's bounced back, so at least there's that.

I expected it to keep plummeting below 20K to be honest.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You do know social security wasn't even allow d for non-whites when it was first implemented? And that is one of the big reasons it was passed?
That's not actually true.
They put a bunch of rules that were designed to specifically fuck minorities (like the US always do) but it was never written as a "white only" law, and it really couldn't have been.

Either way that's besides the point, this is not really been the case for many years, and it didn't make white people hate those programs, even though the GOP and right wing media have been doing a 50 years project to try to vilify them.
For real, they were so unsuccessful in getting people to hate those programs they just gave up and started lying about liking them and trying to mask their destruction as "necessary steps we must take to protect the programs we love".

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
They put a bunch of rules that were designed to specifically fuck minorities (like the US always do) but it was never written as a "white only" law, and it really couldn't have been.
Deliberately excluding certain classes of workers, such as domestic servants, was tantamount to making it a whites-only or nearly so law at the time, yes. It had to be expanded later.

If the effect is largely the same, the law doesn't have to have WHITES ONLY written in bold print.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

It's not so much that you shouldn't try, but you have to acknowledge that much of that resistance is coming from that worldview.

http://theconversation.com/how-racism-has-shaped-welfare-policy-in-america-since-1935-63574

As posted above, the new medicaid work requirement exemptions are being rolled out in a way that disproportionately harms African Americans:
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...aid-work-requirements-spread-to-3-states.html

A government unwilling to acknowledge racial disparity in policy and implementation is just going to perpetrate another half century of increasing wealth/health/outcome divides.

You have to convince at least some of the electorate that black welfare queens and drug peddling migrants are not going to be the primary beneficiaries of these programs, otherwise Fox and Limbaugh will kill both endeavors in their cribs. Or they'll pass, with so many stipulations and loopholes that the minority population won't be able to enjoy the same benefits as everyone else.

Deliberately excluding certain classes of workers, such as domestic servants, was tantamount to making it a whites-only or nearly so law at the time, yes. It had to be expanded later.

If the effect is largely the same, the law doesn't have to have WHITES ONLY written in bold print.

One of the biggest lies that Americans tell themselves is that laws that don't specifically mention race can't be racist.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not so much that you shouldn't try, but you have to acknowledge that much of that resistance is coming from that worldview.

http://theconversation.com/how-racism-has-shaped-welfare-policy-in-america-since-1935-63574

As posted above, the new medicaid work requirement exemptions are being rolled out in a way that disproportionately harms African Americans:
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...aid-work-requirements-spread-to-3-states.html

A government unwilling to acknowledge racial disparity in policy and implementation is just going to perpetrate another half century of increasing wealth/health/outcome divides.

You have to convince at least some of the electorate that black welfare queens and drug peddling migrants are not going to be the primary beneficiaries of these programs, otherwise Fox and Limbaugh will kill both endeavors in their cribs. Or they'll pass, with so many stipulations and loopholes that the minority population won't be able to enjoy the same benefits as everyone else.
I am not denying that racists are an obstacle to progress in this country.
I'm challenging the idea that they're an insurmountable one, which outside being kinda counter-productive, is also not really supported by history.

Oct 26, 2017
SHERROD brown is prepping a campaign for 2020. he's starting to hire campaign workers, he's setting up a meeting with Obama in the next few months. I think he'll announce his race by nov. 2019

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
So, how long do people here think the shutdown will go on for?

I think Trump is too dumb, followed by too stubborn, to let this go quickly. Since we're relying on Nancy instead of Chuck to hold the line, I figure we're good for two weeks total, for starters. Nice trial by fire for Mick, too.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I am not denying that racists are an obstacle to progress in this country.
I'm challenging the idea that they're an insurmountable one, which outside being kinda counter-productive, is also not really supported by history.
"And as an example, look at this program that technically didn't exclude minorities when enacted. It only defacto excluded them."

Unless you're suggesting all future social safety nets be implemented by defacto excluding minorities, this isn't actually a cogent argument against the post you originally quoted and you know it

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"And as an example, look at this program that technically didn't exclude minorities when enacted. It only defacto excluded them."

Unless you're suggesting all future social safety nets be implemented by defacto excluding minorities, this isn't actually a cogent argument against the post you originally quoted and you know it
As an example, I look at a system that does not exclude black people right now (in fact, they're over represented in many of those programs) and I observe how it doesn't make racist white people want to get it abolished, even though both the GOP and right wing media has been trying to get them to hate these programs for generations now.

Do you really don't understand my argument?

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
As an example, I look at a system that does not exclude black people right now (in fact, they're over represented in many of those programs) and I observe how it doesn't make racist white people want to get it abolished, even though both the GOP and right wing media has been trying to get them to hate these programs for generations now.

Do you really don't understand my argument?
Your argument is irrelevant when the point is that racism is a barrier to LEGISLATING SOCIAL SAFETY NETS IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

Nice to basically have a unified front across the board even if we're outnumbered in the boonies.

It won't be as good as it should be, but the next time there's a unified Democratic Congress+president it'll be significantly more progressive than it was from 2009-2011, which itself was more progressive than the one from 1993-1995.

Medicaid buy-in is probably the easiest solution in practice, the groundwork for it has already been laid with the Medicaid expansion.

Medicare has the better brand recognition though.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Your argument is irrelevant when the point is that racism is a barrier to LEGISLATING SOCIAL SAFETY NETS IN THE FIRST PLACE.
It was not a barrier in the 60s when people were way more racist, and even looking at social security, it wasn't that FDR had to make concessions to racists to get the votes for the bill. It was just that the bill was written mostly by racists and more importantly, administrated by racists who fucked black people because that's what racist people do. And by the way, the OG social security bill was waaaaay more sexist than it was racist.

And even looking at more recent events, the ACA didn't have a public option not because it didn't appeal enough to racists, it didn't have it because insurance companies bought enough Democrats to torpedo it. And looking forward, I can't imagine anything that a democrat would do that won't be vilified but the right. Seriously, you think if a Democratic candidate push for medicare for all white people the GOP wouldn't treat it like it's Sharia Law Communism?

Vixdean

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So basically, tack a public option onto the ACA, call it Medi-something for all, and raise the subsidy ceiling to ~$200k for a family of four. We really can't do anything about the Medicaid expansion in Florida and Texas, but after the aforementioned fixes, people in those states will be clamoring for it when they realize they are basically subsidizing healthcare for the rest of the country.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So basically, tack a public option onto the ACA, call it Medi-something for all, and raise the subsidy ceiling to ~$200k for a family of four. We really can't do anything about the Medicaid expansion in Florida and Texas, but after the aforementioned fixes, people in those states will be clamoring for it when they realize they are basically subsidizing healthcare for the rest of the country.
This is way better than right now, but it will create a tiered healthcare system where rich people get way better treatment.
I'm not even saying it's the wrong thing to go after (it really depends on what majorities you have really), I'm just trying to point the issues with a public option solution.

Vixdean

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is way better than right now, but it will create a tiered healthcare system where rich people get way better treatment.
I'm not even saying it's the wrong thing to go after (it really depends on what majorities you have really), I'm just trying to point the issues with a public option solution.

I mean, this is unavoidable to a certain degree. Rich people will generally always seek better options than it what is available to lower classes. That's why private hospitals still exist in Canada, France, Germany, etc....., and rich people or folks with supplemental health insurance through their employer use them. It doesn't really matter, as long as there are enough providers accepting ACA plans to serve the general population.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
It was not a barrier in the 60s when people were way more racist, and even looking at social security, it wasn't that FDR had to make concessions to racists to get the votes for the bill. It was just that the bill was written mostly by racists and more importantly, administrated by racists who fucked black people because that's what racist people do. And by the way, the OG social security bill was waaaaay more sexist than it was racist.
Do you even read the shit that you are saying? That the racist people who wrote the racist bill didn't think about making it racist does nothing to prove your assertion that "no guys, really, racism isn't that big a deal in hindering America's social safety net".

The point is that American whites are opposed to their tax dollars going to support minorities.

That's why welfare is in shambles.

That's why food stamps keep being cut.

That's why Mississppi's education is so poor ('they just want to give your money to Hinds County!)

And until that is addressed, good luck getting shit all done.

Your refusal to acknowledge this is a systemic issue with leftist groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.