• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so confused, Lawrence University and St. Lawrence University are tied at #58 for liberal arts colleges and both were the first coed schools in their states. How does that happen?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My graduate school is in the top 10 for engineering programs (I'm an engineering student) so that's cool

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
I put little to no stock in their rankings, especially when they changed their methodology and the switched it back again after CalTech reached the top of the rankings one year.

That said, my alma mater was ranked #3 #humblebrag lol

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I think those tuition numbers are more heart stopping to me than any of the actual rankings.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
If you're poor enough to have to worry about the cost, it won't be that expensive. I went to one of those and I barely had any loans.

I don't think this is necessarily true. Lots of people who will be ineligible for significant financial aid yet can't afford that (though I have more than one kid so maybe I'm thinking differently)

CursedOctopus

Oct 27, 2017
#48? They must have ranked them before they heard about professor McConaughey , otherwise we would have been higher.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I put little to no stock in their rankings, especially when they changed their methodology and the switched it back again after CalTech reached the top of the rankings one year.

That said, my alma mater was ranked #3 #humblebrag lol
I mean yeah their worthless and not really indicitive of the education. A school might have better teachers and have a lot of success at helping students who aren't already high achievers succeed, but get a low ranking since even letting average students into a school will inevitably hurt your ranking compared to the top schools. I feel like students some of the top schools succeed in spite of poor to average teaching and resources because the students themselves are talented because if they weren't they wouldn't be allowed in

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas

:) Have so many fond memories.

I don't think this is necessarily true. Lots of people who will be ineligible for significant financial aid yet can't afford that (though I have more than one kid so maybe I'm thinking differently)

Yeah it varies a lot based on school. Schools like Harvard or Yale with the biggest endowments will fund a large part of the stated tuition cost with grants such that "100% of demonstrated financial need is met" (https://college.harvard.edu/financial-aid/how-aid-works). At other elite schools with similar tuition costs but less in terms of resources, the financial aid packages tend to be much more paltry in terms of grants and mostly consist of (subsidized) loans. Multiple kids makes it that much harder (though it also changes the calculations in terms of need). There is also some variation in terms of what schools look at it in terms of assets. I started undergrad just as my father lost his pension and had his pay cut by over 50%. The financial aid calculation of need, however, significantly lagged the ground truth of my family's financial situation and by my second year it was touch and go as to whether I would be able to continue (thankfully I was able to).

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
My kids are going to state schools for undergrad. Christ, what a waste of money when I look at those tuitions.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Yup, glad to see that Colorado School of Mines is still full of angry white dudes .

The administration has been hijacked by a political movement to 'force' more women into STEM and to hire more (underqualified) female professors, hurting the quality of lecture, research and ultimately reputation. Although I am pro-opportunity and promote inclusiveness, fairness and gender equality, it is painfully obvious the institution had abandoned meritocracy in favor of a quota system. The negative impact can be seen daily. I compare my experience at Mines to two California (tech) universities where meritocracy was actually preferred in a more liberal state. Need to get back to basics and remove identity politics from the administration bent on cramming more women into STEM.