• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
As Covid-19 cases continue to jump during the fall surge, Dr. Anthony Fauci says there's little chance of normalcy on the horizon.

The US will have a vaccine in the next few months, but there's a chance a "substantial proportion of the people" won't be vaccinated until the second or third quarter of 2021, Fauci said.

"I think it will be easily by the end of 2021, and perhaps even into the next year, before we start having some semblances of normality," Fauci said during a University of Melbourne panel discussion Tuesday.

"We're not in a good place," Fauci during a virtual Q&A session on Wednesday. "Now we're averaging about 70,000 a (day). That's a bad position to be in."

"We're rising quickly. If we just go back about six, seven weeks ago to Labor Day, we were at about 35,000 cases a day," said Dr. Ashish Jha, dean of Brown University School of Public Health.

"I would not be surprised if we end up getting to 100,000" new cases a day, Jha said.

"If we continue our current behavior, by the time we start to go down the other side of the curve, a half a million people will be dead," said CNN medical analyst Dr. Jonathan Reiner, a professor of medicine at George Washington University.

There's no doubt masks make a difference, Fauci said.

"If you don't want to shut down, at least do the fundamental basic things, which are really the flagship of which is wearing a mask," Fauci said. "We can't have this very inconsistent wearing that you see, where you see some states that absolutely refuse to wear a mask."

www.cnn.com

US may not be back to normal until 2022, Fauci says

Nationwide, the average number of daily new cases this past week is up 21% compared to the previous week. But testing has increased only 6.63% over the same time frame.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think we need to give up on what normal was, and start thinking about what normal is going to be

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I think we need to give up on what normal was, and start thinking about what normal is going to be
There have been far more deadly pandemics in the past that didn't change what "normal" was. There is no reason to believe covid-19 will change much or anything. Once a vaccine is widely available you will see packed clubs and bars and concerts again.

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
There have been far more deadly pandemics in the past that didn't change what "normal" was. There is no reason to believe covid-19 will change much or anything. Once a vaccine is widely available you will see packed clubs and bars and concerts again.

I think you're both right, if you see this in the short and long term.

In the short term (1/2 years?) we will need to get used to the new normal. Whatever this shit is, it's going to last a while longer and we should try to consider this the new normality... for our sanity's sake.

In the longer term (3 years? optimistically) this may just become a bad memory and we will likely be back to pre-covid gatherings and behavior.

At least, this is what I'm trying to convince myself of to still keep a cautious behavior right now, but avoid falling into depression for what life has become :/

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe a good time to ask but can you get an airfare refund if the USA has a current ban on travel to that country? Hedged my bets on a trip next Spring but not looking likely now.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You know Trump is going to take that as a green light to make it so bad for Biden before he leaves office.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
When your point hedges on "1918 flu, AIDs, and The Plague didn't change the game", cause those are the ones that come close to COVID.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I had this sober realization weeks, if not months ago. I likely won't be visiting my beloved library or seeing my nieces and nephews -- or at least not on a regular basis -- anytime soon thanks to every last selfish asshole who can't be arsed to wear a mask, let alone grasp how your "personal freedom" means nothing in the face of an infectious disease.

Everything about this makes me so goddamn angry. Fuck every last individual in power that enabled this.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
No one has explained to me, since this started, what it takes to be normal again. My sister told me normal may never happen again. Starting to believe her.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
When your point hedges on "1918 flu, AIDs, and The Plague didn't change the game", cause those are the ones that come close to COVID.
Plague and 1918 were far more impactful. In fact, the attitude back then was the same: some didn't care and just got drunk at bars while others quarantined.

Covid-19 isn'tt going to change the normal. All it did was speed up things like WFH (which was increasing anyway), and we will see changes in how we respond to pandemics (like how we have with each one). There is no reason to believe things will permanently change when history has shown that to be false.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I don't see why tbh. Vaccines will come out, we'll continue to understand the virus and how to mitigate it and things will eventually return to normal. I highly doubt we'll still be in this predicament years and years from now.

At least...if Trump is gone...

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why tbh. Vaccines will come out, we'll continue to understand the virus and how to mitigate it and things will eventually return to normal. I highly doubt we'll still be in this predicament years from now.

At least...if Trump is gone...
The vaccine is just another freedom that you can't force people to take.
I'm sure there will be sham doctors ready to write out fake vaccination records for their freedum clients.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This, really. This is reality. Now we just have to deal with it.

I'm not sure why people think this. If people are already coming back to normal like it was before even while the pandemic is still happening what makes you think people won't be doing the same when this is over? It makes no sense.

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
Should we return to normal? I mean, normal resulted in massive amounts of needless deaths; normal elected Trump; normal is loads of people who are anti-mask and anti-vaccine. We need a cultural awakening a la Japan's reaction to 1918, but we know that won't happen because individualism (read: selfishess) is hailed as one of the cornerstones of Western democracy. It's foolish to assume the release of a vaccine tons of people won't even take will usher in "normal."

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Well I don't want to be pessimistic, I hope this shit is over asap, I lost family to it. But really, all it took is one bat, one human. This shit could start all over tomorrow. It's just a matter of bad luck, and what can protect us onward is learning, educating ourselves. There is too little of this and it is becoming a socio-economic threat, let alone in preparing us for other potential crises in the future like the fall out of climate change. Look at how little cooperation there has been among countries in the EU of all places.

Some things are changing, especially how we view social-cohesion and its resiliency, or lack-thereof.

Should we return to normal? I mean, normal resulted in massive amounts of needless deaths; normal elected Trump; normal is loads of people who are anti-mask and anti-vaccine. We need a cultural awakening a la Japan's reaction to 1918, but we know that won't happen because individualism (read: selfishess) is hailed as one of the cornerstones of Western democracy. It's foolish to assume the release of a vaccine tons of people won't even take will usher in "normal."

This. The pandemic has revealed another disease, which we contemplate but for which so far no solution has been offered. Where is the outrage about the lack of education, the lack of willingness to work together, the lack of the government's ability to organize society in times of crisis to face challenges while we can?

Back to normal, and then what? Another bat bite, and this all over again?

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
This depends on vaccine distribution and efficacy. The more effective the vaccine the less people need to be vaccinated for it to hit herd immunity.

So let's hope for a real good one.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people are already having trouble with this. It's all incredibly sad.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
100% in line with what I thought. Vaccines/therapeutics not available til maybe late spring - need time to disseminate to others + hopefully a different administration in power who will balance a safe reopening that won't kill the economy, with science. It's about a balance.

Deleted member 69573

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
It's going to be at least 3 years for things to be normal over there, sorry to say. Victoria, Australia are just coming out of a 6 month lockdown and our cases and the logistics to solve this is nowhere near what it is in the US.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
5-10 years before "normal" returns imo (eating out, large crowds, frequent air travel). That said, too many variables in the future to tell for sure. Idiots keep being idiots so I don't have much hope for 2022. Spring/Summer 2022 was what I was hoping for about three months ago.

Oct 25, 2017
I will have graduated from university in a crappy online format, taken an entire year off that I didn't want to take off due to COVID, and then completed at least my first half of a year of medical school in the same crappy online format if that's the case. Sounds dreadful, which judging by how everything has gone recently, probably means it's reality.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Most people I know have already pretty much accepted that this won't be over anytime soon. Fall 2021 is the absolute earliest I was expecting anything remotely resembling normal to return.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
5-10 years before "normal" returns imo (eating out, large crowds, frequent air travel). That said, too many variables in the future to tell for sure. Idiots keep being idiots so I don't have much hope for 2022. Spring/Summer 2022 was what I was hoping for about three months ago.
it depends on how fast a vacine is adobted. if it comes out mid 2021, and has high uptake, it could be 2022, if not, than longer.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why people think this. If people are already coming back to normal like it was before even while the pandemic is still happening what makes you think people won't be doing the same when this is over? It makes no sense.

Yeah and they shouldn't be.