• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really have a problem with people finding a market for Nintendo's shit security. If anything, they should hire the dude.

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
Selling defective joycons is bad too and here we are… Nintendo is still selling them & screwing european users.

BEUC launches Europe-wide complaint against Nintendo for premature obsolescence

Following nearly 25,000 complaints from European consumers, BEUC and its members have submitted a complaint about Nintendo to the European Commission and national consumer protection authorities for systematic problems with the functionality of the Nintendo Switch console.

a pretty large crime, lol sure

What-aboutism and dismissal of property theft as being not a serious crime.
Real thought leadership here.

Two things can be bad at the same time. Analog stick drift/defects are bad - that doesn't mean you should steal from the manufacturer of the controllers.

And encouraging piracy/theft to the tune of millions of dollars while devaluing property is a very serious crime.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
yYoKj74.gif

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
They headline horrified me. I thought it was going to be a rom site or some bs. This guy was cruising for a bruising tho.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people acting like the alternative to prison is doing nothing at all? He's paid the money. Give him probation and a ton of community service. 5 years in prison is not commensurate with the crime committed. Bill Cosby did less than that (and likely still would have had his conviction not been overturned).

lori

Oct 25, 2017

Two things can be bad at the same time. Analog stick drift/defects are bad - that doesn't mean you should steal from the manufacturer of the controllers.

And encouraging piracy/theft to the tune of millions of dollars while devaluing property is a very serious crime.
"steal"

it's not physical goods being stolen, you are not taking someone's physical property from them.

piracy has also literally never equated 1:1 to a lost sale. if they're in the market to pirate chances are they were never able to buy the thing to begin with. that's like getting mad at piracy rates in brazil when the reality is, things are so expensive there that people simply couldn't afford them regardless.

i'd understand if you were talking about, i don't know, reselling bootlegs for a profit, but...

Last edited:

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
"steal"

it's not physical goods being stolen, you are not taking someone's physical property from them.

piracy has also literally never equated to a lost sale. if they're in the market to pirate chances are they were never able to buy the thing to begin with. that's like getting mad at piracy rates in brazil when the reality is, things are so expensive there that people simply couldn't afford them regardless.

i'd understand if you were talking about, i don't know, reselling bootlegs for a profit, but...

So if you were an employer who hired a service worker, you'd be okay with not paying them because theft only applies to physical goods right?

Taking or using things without paying for them is stealing. It applies to a bag of chips, it applies to the work your plumber does for you, and yes it also applies to videogames.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Just to be clear, there's almost no chance this guy ends up in a traditional prison around hardened criminals. His sentence will be under 10 years and he presumably has no history of violent crimes. He'll serve his time in a federal minimum security prison camp.

That being said, I agree that 5 years is still excessive. He's going to have that conviction hanging over his head for the rest of his life. Any sentence should really be minimal.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

It's not a serious crime, and if you think it is, then I think your priorities are screwed. Also, dude was selling mod chips, not bootlegs or roms (which I still don't really give a shit about).

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Price fixing is a very serious crime and also seen as "stealing". But nobody at Nintendo served any time for it.

And the irony in your "two things can be bad" comment. Isn't that the point, that 5 years in jail is a pretty bad thing too? It's clear that he deserves some time, few seem to be arguing against that, but 5 years? People go to jail for less time for far more serious offences like sexual assault.

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
It's not a serious crime, and if you think it is, then I think your priorities are screwed. Also, dude was selling mod chips, not bootlegs or roms (which I still don't really give a shit about).

Why are you personally attacking me? This situation is quite literally going to trial - there are people being paid to figure out where the priorities are.

He directly profited from enabling theft. He also provided access to ROMs. People like this should get what's coming to them.

lori

Oct 25, 2017
So if you were an employer who hired a service worker, you'd be okay with not paying them because theft only applies to physical goods right?

Taking or using things without paying for them is stealing. It applies to a bag of chips, it applies to the work your plumber does for you, and yes it also applies to videogames.
not paying a service worker is wage theft. you had them very specifically go out of their way to perform a service for you, and then you did not pay them. stealing a bag of chips means, yes, you actually did take a set bag of chips that existed (though i personally wouldn't be going after those who have to resort to stealing food). no such arrangement is in place when you are downloading a mario world rom on the internet. maybe if you commissioned someone to make mario world for you, and didn't pay them???

it's a copyright infringement.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017

Who is harmed again?

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
LMAO at this thread, people treatin a dude that pulled tens of millions dollars in profit from this like he stealing a loaf of bread

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
There's more to come out of this.

Maybe he should get his day in court and people should reserve judgement - either way - until the trial ends.

I certainly feel there's an amazing backstory here we're not hearing.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you personally attacking me? This situation is quite literally going to trial - there are people being paid to figure out where the priorities are.

He directly profited from enabling theft. He also provided access to ROMs. People like this should get what's coming to them.

spidermanpointing.jpg

Just because corporate influenced/lobbied/written laws say something like this is a "serious crime" doesn't mean I need to agree. Serious crimes to me consist of violent crimes, and acts against vulnerable people. But maybe Nintendo can't afford to make a new F-Zero because of this guys evil deeds, and that's a serious crime against gamers.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
spidermanpointing.jpg

Just because corporate influenced/lobbied/written laws say something like this is a "serious crime" doesn't mean I need to agree. Serious crimes to me consist of violent crimes, and acts against vulnerable people. But maybe Nintendo can't afford to make a new F-Zero because of this guys evil deeds, and that's a serious crime against gamers.

You are being dismissive of his opinion while asserting that he should respect yours.

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
spidermanpointing.jpg

Everything is everyone else's fault, right? It's those damned lobbyists, probably. You wanna continue with the personal attacks, go ahead.

Who is harmed again?

The owner of the assets/property. Loss of revenue has tangible results.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
You are being dismissive of his opinion while asserting that he should respect yours.

Not true. Where did I assert that he should respect my opinion? That's his choice, doesn't bother me either way. To be dismissive of his opinion would mean that I never considered it at all, but I did, I just happened to consider it a poor one. Disagreement doesn't mean dismissal.

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Real thought leadership here

You are getting to a wrong conclusion here. Joy Con Drift doesnt justify piracy.

Ask youself this question: Should somebody at Nintendo serve some time for the Joy Con fiasco ?

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
You are getting to a wrong conclusion here. Joy Con Drift doesnt justify piracy.

Ask youself this question: Should somebody at Nintendo serve some time for the Joy Con fiasco ?

They can't, so that makes it okay to commit a crime?
Like I said, two things can be bad and two things can be contemplated in parallel.

I think the old saying was "two wrongs don't make a right".

I didn't realize "stealing is bad" is a controversial statement.

If creating something was also an open invite to steal, then nothing would get made.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
There's more to come out of this.

Maybe he should get his day in court and people should reserve judgement - either way - until the trial ends.

I certainly feel there's an amazing backstory here we're not hearing.
there's not going to be a trial. he pled guilty a while ago. they're just arguing about the sentence now

lori

Oct 25, 2017
The owner of the assets/property. Loss of revenue has tangible results.
those results are typically wildly overestimated, usually for the purposes of pushing for new laws that benefit megacorps by giving them more control

the reality of capitalism is that sometimes people just aren't going to want to buy your product, and if sales are "lost" to piracy, you most likely aren't going to win them over regardless.

the PSP was notoriously easy to pirate on, for instance. especially later into its lifespan, it was effectively a drag and drop operation. yet, certain games in the market mixed very well with japan's infrastructure and did better than ever. vs america, where the console simply didn't have much of a place to begin with... you could claim americans just "steal" more considering, yes, piracy was rampant overseas on this platform, but it was mostly a symptom of bigger issues.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I understand that the problem here is that they made profits off a product that hacked Nintendo's hardware.
However, how come this didn't happen in the past? Like we used to have modchips for PS2 and even Xbox 360 with J-TAG mod that were sold by people to hack these consoles. Infact modchips have existed since forever and even in non gaming medium like DVD/Blu Ray players, so what's different this time?

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So many people in this thread acting like this dude was stealing bread to feed his family while in reality he (and other people in his team) were getting filthy rich.

Bowser's hacking group, Team Xecuter, generated tens of millions of dollars from the mass-produced and widely-sold mod chips. The industrial scale of this enterprise was key to it catching the US government's eye.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Why are people acting like the alternative to prison is doing nothing at all? He's paid the money. Give him probation and a ton of community service. 5 years in prison is not commensurate with the crime committed. Bill Cosby did less than that (and likely still would have had his conviction not been overturned).
But this crime is tantamount to the most heinous of crimes…

Xf9eAd8.jpg

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
remember, nintendo ordered him to pay $10M for the damages.

gbatemp.net

Team Xecuter's Gary Bowser ordered to pay $10,000,000 fine in civil case

Early last month, Team Xecuter's Gary Bowser pleaded guilty to charges of trafficking in circumvention devices and conspiracy to circumvent technological measures, resulting in a $4.5 million fine, destruction of property relating to Team Xecuter, and possible jail time. That plea deal was for...

of course he cant pay that much, so prison is the logical thing to do i think.

EDIT: he paid $10M already?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I understand that the problem here is that they made profits off a product that hacked Nintendo's hardware.
However, how come this didn't happen in the past? Like we used to have modchips for PS2 and even Xbox 360 with J-TAG mod that were sold by people to hack these consoles. Infact modchips have existed since forever and even in non gaming medium like DVD/Blu Ray players, so what's different this time?
Xecutor was a massive operation for this sort of business and Nintendo was interested in pressing charges. Not everyone gets big enough or unlucky enough to get caught.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"steal"

piracy has also literally never equated 1:1 to a lost sale. if they're in the market to pirate chances are they were never able to buy the thing to begin with. that's like getting mad at piracy rates in brazil when the reality is, things are so expensive there that people simply couldn't afford them regardless.

Time to steal art from twitter and flip em as nfts since it's not stealing apparently.

lori

Oct 25, 2017
Time to steal art from twitter and flip em as nfts since it's not stealing apparently.
that's plagiarism and copyright infringement. it's why you file DMCA for those incidents. that's also typically impacting smaller artists, which sting quite a bit worse than... well, multi billion dollar megacorporations that are doing quite well. i'm pretty sure you know the difference though

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Nintendo can fuck off. The guy already has to restore monetary damages. Ruining his life by imprisoning him serves no purpose.

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
He was very active on Gbatemp as a "tester" and modchip reviewer but looks like he was a main distributor in the Americas

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
For those wanting an insight into the team xecuter and bowser story and why the sentencing maybe what it is here is an excerpt from someone who was in the demo/hacking scene MVG

&

OP can feel free to threadmark