• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017

This right here.
Last nights attack were mostly symbolic to save face. IRGC and especially QUDS will hit back hard on their own timeline.

Strategically it makes little sense now as it will provoke open war. They'll wait, maybe even for a different and less irrational president before hitting back.

stew

Dec 2, 2017
So, Trump isn't very popular here - it's fun to read this thread. He did what he had to do, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Also, Iran just delayed any withdrawal of American troops from Iraq with these actions, so unsure what good this actually did them other than some stupid "show of force"
It's the opposite. The Iraqi parliament voted to ask the US to withdraw (which Trump have tried to prevent from happening) just after the killing of Soleimani. Conservatives in Iran are strengthened.

Trump committed an act of war without any plan, he lied about having intelligence showing an imminent threat. He threatened to target cultural sites which is against international law. It's was a reckless decision and a strategic mistake.

Trump is the one looking stupid now.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I used to sneer at the idea that UK broadcast media is biased, but these days I'm not so sure. Twitter is alive with people pointing out that Trump was clearly high, and Sky News runs with the headline "World will breathe sigh of relief after Trump's 'sober' speech on Iran". Fuck off, there was nothing sober about him.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I hope that I'm wrong but I really doubt that Iran is done here. Last night was meant to be a public show that they did "something" but you have to believe with their track record that their real revenge will come later and be far more difficult to trace back to them.
The americans hit one of their own. Quds has been known to keep grudges for less.

I mean they once hired a drug cartel to kill the saudi ambassador in the US.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I hope that I'm wrong but I really doubt that Iran is done here. Last night was meant to be a public show that they did "something" but you have to believe with their track record that their real revenge will come later and be far more difficult to trace back to them.
Wild guess but I can see them pulling something right before our election, Jimmy Carter style to try and make Trump a one time president.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
It's always a risk to live in the Middle East if you are American. I did my time in the Middle East as a contractor, and I made some serious money as a result. But there were a lot of sleepless nights as well, and I'm glad that part of my life is over with

I wouldn't go back. Not even for twice what I was originally paid, which is considerable

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's always a risk to live in the Middle East if you are American. I did my time in the Middle East as a contractor, and I made some serious money as a result. But there were a lot of sleepless nights as well, and I'm glad that part of my life is over with

I wouldn't go back. Not even for twice what I was originally paid, which is considerable
I'm not saying it's safe, but as someone who grew up in the Middle East, in terms of likelihood of getting hurt, American contractors are some of the safest people there.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Read this thread. He has made everyone working for US interests overseas more at risk, not just our soldiers in harm's way.

He's saying what I said in my post with a lot more information and history behind it. We're going to have to be really vigilant for a while and hope that we can get a new POTUS that can smooth things over sooner than later.
Iran has likely received a lot of pressure from Russia not to return a full out attack, as Putin wants nothing more than a second term for Trump.
It should be easy to tell soon how motivated Moscow is to help Trump get re-elected but I'm not convinced that Vlady is happy with his return on investment after 2016 since his ultimate goal was an end to Russian sanctions and that's not happening. I feel like he already achieved the side benefit of degradation of US influence that he was looking for and may leave Trump to dangle on his own but we'll see.

Last edited:

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Iran has likely received a lot of pressure from Russia not to return a full out attack, as Putin wants nothing more than a second term for Trump.

So 🤷‍♂️
This is more or less one of the reasons why I'm so queasy come November. I can't help but feel that Russia will fuck with the elections again which will lead to a second term.

I don't want to sound pessimistic but still.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
This right here.
Last nights attack were mostly symbolic to save face. IRGC and especially QUDS will hit back hard on their own timeline.

Strategically it makes little sense now as it will provoke open war. They'll wait, maybe even for a different and less irrational president before hitting back.

Yep and a future Dem president will be suffering the consequences of Trump's action and Republicans will blame the Dems for it.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
It should be easy to tell soon how motivated Moscow is to help Trump get re-elected but I'm not convinced that Vlady is happy with his return on investment after 2016 since his ultimate goal was an end to Russian sanctions and that's not happening. I feel like he already achieved the side benefit of degradation of US influence that he was looking for and may leave Trump to dangle on his own but we'll see.
I don't know about that.

The longer Trump is office, the easier it will be for Russia to spread it's influence. Seems like a no brainer.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
What's this 2.5 trillion dollars number he's tossing around lmao

He's most likely just talking about regular military spending. Mandatory military spending combined with discretionary spending is about $700 billion per year (has seen a slight increase recently). So 3 years in office, it's in the neighborhood of $2.5T (though inflated as usual, because it's Trump). Also as usual: him taking credit for some shit that was going to happen anyway.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017

So 🤷‍♂️
Maybe, but Putin would also absolutely love nothing more than for the US to take a hike out of the Middle East too which is Iran's ultimate goal. I don't think Iran is done by any means.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Maybe, but Putin would also absolutely love nothing more than for the US to take a hike out of the Middle East too which is Iran's ultimate goal. I don't think Iran is done by any means.
And that is happening thanks to Trump's dumb ass. Iran deal is dead now.

Trump's ineptness and utter contempt for conducting any kind of foreign policy absolutely works in Russia's favor.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
It's silly to paint them all with the same brush.

This guy is a moron, doesn't mean anything.

First step to solving a problem is admitting you have a problem. American military's "conservative" leaning is kind of a known thing. I put the scare quotes in because conservatism often really means white supremacy.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
Reports of missle attack om Najem base in Iraq. Supposedly american soldiers were killed also. Let's hope it is all wrong. I am refreshing news channels as fast as I can!

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
Ok sorry. It is all over Iranian news channels. I am not saying anything anymore until we have English sources.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
First step to solving a problem is admitting you have a problem. American military's "conservative" leaning is kind of a known thing. I put the scare quotes in because conservatism often really means white supremacy.
The military is very racially diverse, more so than most American organizations, but yeah, they're a very Republican leaning group regardless of ethnicity. When you see that 8-9% of black people supporting Trump and you wonder who they are you can bet there's a good percentage of military/law enforcement mixed in there.

That's not to say that there's not a white supremacy problem in the military but they're a minority in a majority.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Ok sorry. It is all over Iranian news channels. I am not saying anything anymore until we have English sources.

You're in Iran (?)....so it's ok if you report what you're seeing there.

I guess we wait to see if we hear anything now.

The first set of missiles from yesterday definitely hit stuff.

5e161d05b2e66a32be6bd80b

5e161d5af4423133e8287117

5e161d30b2e66a32f54d78ba

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
You're in Iran (?)....so it's ok if you report what you're seeing there.

I guess we wait to see if we hear anything now.

Yes, and if these reports are to be believed, this was done by al-Ḥashd ash-Shaʿbī .
Basically, Iraq's answer to killing of Abu mahdi Al Muhandis.
Let's hope it's all fake news :(

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
Yes, and if these reports are to be believed, this was done by al-Ḥashd ash-Shaʿbī .
Basically, Iraq's answer to killing of Abu mahdi Al Muhandis.
Let's hope it's all fake news :(

OK Sorry guys. They just said this report was based on "wrong translation", whatever that means. Sorry for posting inaccurate stuff, though I am thrilled it was all fake news, for once!
I won't report unconfirmed stuff anymore, there is already enough tension and stress for everyone. Shit, Sorry.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OK Sorry guys. They just said this report was based on "wrong translation", whatever that means. Sorry for posting inaccurate stuff, though I am thrilled it was all fake news, for once!
I won't report unconfirmed stuff anymore, there is already enough tension and stress for everyone. Shit, Sorry.
I think knowing what the media in Iran is saying is valuable, at least to me.
I think as long as you say "I just saw on TV" or "I read in this newspaper" it should be more than fine, in fact, I think it would be great.

Daverytimes

Oct 25, 2017
The first set of missiles from yesterday definitely hit stuff.

5e161d05b2e66a32be6bd80b

5e161d5af4423133e8287117

5e161d30b2e66a32f54d78ba

This and other photos show that not only are those missiles incredibly accurate but also Iran purposefully chose targets that minimized the risk of killing US service members in order to deescalate. I think those with more common sense has seen this images and understood that if Iran chose to they could have killed hundreds if not thousands last night.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
So Iran kept a cool head and was much more thoughtful than Trump. Demostrated that they could do Damage while avoiding an escalation (also warning allies to stay out of it)

EDIT: I'm reading that Iraq's Alsumaria TV reports that a US official told that the US did recieved a warning about the attack. Is that TV station a reliable source?

Last edited:

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
So Iran kept a cool head and was much more thoughtful than Trump. Demostrated that they could do Damage while avoiding an escalation (also warning allies to stay out of it)

EDIT: I'm reading that Iraq's Alsumaria TV reports that a US official told that the US did recieved a warning about the attack. Is that TV station a reliable source?

If Iraq knew, the US knew

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

Iran warned Iraq about their base. I'm sure Americans got a heads up too.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This and other photos show that not only are those missiles incredibly accurate but also Iran purposefully chose targets that minimized the risk of killing US service members in order to deescalate. I think those with more common sense has seen this images and understood that if Iran chose to they could have killed hundreds if not thousands last night.
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near."
Iran's generals know more of The Art of War than Trump.

Daverytimes

Oct 25, 2017
Small rocket attack near the US Embassy just now, sirens heard

This is far from over, Iran will no longer be directly involved but a whole Lotta group still have yet to get their own revenge. It's best to get those troops out.

"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near."
Iran's generals know more of The Art of War than Trump.

Very true.