• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I can't get over Oliver North, in 2020, being on a major news network bitching about Iranian missiles. If that doesn't perfectly encapsulate Fox and the lack of accountability in Republican circles, nothing does.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
The US never went to war with Afghanistan, they drove the Taliban out. The issue in Afghanistan was they weren't really fighting an organized nation, but more independent gorilla warfare which is a totally different ballgame than a organized military.
db39fe16-a66d-4969-864b-af2a7ac4b02b.jpg

The Taliban are alive and kicking. Doesn't seem the conflict (war) worked to great effect

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe this shows Iran could be trusted with a nuclear weapon. They seem sane. I mean no point in going to war if they continue to enrich uranium.
I don't think that Iran will just nuke Israel or whatever if they get the bomb, it will be a defensive weapon, but it's still a nuke, and the worst cast scenario with those things are really bad. Plus if Iran get nukes then I think KSA get nukes, and it's probably doesn't stop there.

But why not have peace with them?
I really don't think it's impossible and America never really tried.
It's gotta be better than this shit show, we're not pretending we're doing it for the people of Iran, right?

Starlightmuse

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 27, 2017
I can't get over Oliver North, in 2020, being on a major news network bitching about Iranian missiles. If that doesn't perfectly encapsulate Fox and the lack of accountability in Republican circles, nothing does.

I thought the guy on the right was George Bush lol...

now that I think about it, it doesn't really matter too much

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
BF3 really didnt age well lmao

Lol I've been thinking about that all night.

The US didn't lose to Iraq, they quickly toppled the government, the pain came from trying to occupy it afterwards.

I think a ground invasion of Iran would only be on the table if they were on the cusp of acquiring nuclear weapons. Even then I don't think the public would support after Bush cried wolf. If "war" ends up happening some time soon, then it'll be a hit and run disarmament campaign from the air/sea.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The Taliban are alive and kicking. Doesn't seem the conflict (war) worked to great effect
You know what I mean. They technically still operate in the country, but they are not in power, the US ousted them from power and now they are an insurgency. The conflict worked in that it got rid of a government that wasn't friendly with the US and replaced it with one that is.

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK

The Taliban are alive and kicking. Doesn't seem the conflict (war) worked to great effect.

It didn't- but some of you are piling on to goblue a bit while being intentionally obtuse. Iran is a nation-state with a conventional military. The regime doesn't want an all out war with the US because there's no way it would end in any other fashion than with their military decimated and the regime toppled.

The US's inability to deal with the insurgency and proxy wars that would follow doesn't mean much to those currently in power, as they'd like to stay that way, thank you very much.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
You know what I mean. They technically still operate in the country, but they are not in power, the US ousted them from power and now they are an insurgency. The conflict worked in that it got rid of a government that wasn't friendly with the US and replaced it with one that is.
As a defender of the war in Afghanistan, this is an unsupportable rosy outlook of the situation. At the very best we have failed to win the complete victory that it looked like we were on the cusp of in 2002. At the very worst we have another Vietnam on our hands once we leave.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Trump is playing checkers instead of chess, he has no idea on how to plan further moves and is acting like a kid who can't see past one move

Trump's strategy is the same a JJ Abrams and Kathy Kennedy's on their Star Wars trilogy. There is no plan, they are all winging it

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
The US is negotiating with them. Guess what happens when they leave. I'll point you back to the Vietnam example for that one.

Face it, the US lost the war.

This is just reality, folks. Truth is I don't even know HOW you can "win" a war like that. I just don't see any long term objectives being met. No sane US citizen will want to engage in that type of shit.

Nation building has been one sloppy arrogant failure after another.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The US will hand over Afghanistan one way or another to the Taliban before they leave so that Russia or China can't deal with the Afghan government, and in the hopes that they too would end up in a quagmire if they do try to get involved.

This is also what the US will want to do with Iraq/Syria if they leave, so that Russia, Iran, or China can't get a firm foothold in the region without ending up in a quagmire of their own. Letting ISIS run around freely was part of that idea.

This is a fact.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
The US never went to war with Afghanistan, they drove the Taliban out. The issue in Afghanistan was they weren't really fighting an organized nation, but more independent gorilla warfare which is a totally different ballgame than a organized military.

You forgot to tell the part about winning against Vietnam and also about the mass destruction weapons Saddam had...

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As a defender of the war in Afghanistan, this is an unsupportable rosy outlook of the situation. At the very best we have failed to win the complete victory that it looked like we were on the cusp of in 2002. At the very worst we have another Vietnam on our hands once we leave.
Have you read the Afghanistan papers?
America was not on the cusp of anything. America could never even agree on what a victory in Afghanistan is, and it still can't.
Also, what do you mean "another Vietnam on our hands once we leave", you think it was a mistake for the US to leave Vietnam?

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
This is just reality, folks. Truth is I don't even know HOW you can "win" a war like that. I just don't see any long term objectives being met. No sane US citizen will want to engage in that type of shit.

Nation building has been one sloppy arrogant failure after another.
The painful thing is that in 2002/03 it really looked like we had the Taliban on their last legs. They were driven to the boarder of the country and were reeling from a focused NATO assault. Then we (the US) lost our focus and went into Iraq. That opened the door for the Taliban to regroup and claw their way back. Once they did we were never able to really regain the upper hand like we had for those months before we invaded Iraq. Once that happened there was no "winning" the war in a traditional sense.

The nation building we did was a joke. No comprehensive planning, just a one dimensional approach of bombing and then sending over a couple of engineers to help them build roads. Utter failure.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
*curls up into a ball*

This country is a mistake. Why wasn't I born in Finland, Sweden, or something.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Have you read the Afghanistan papers?
America was not on the cusp of anything. America could never even agree on what a victory in Afghanistan is, and it still can't.
Also, what do you mean "another Vietnam on our hands once we leave", you think it was a mistake for the US to leave Vietnam?
No Vietnam was a fucked up situation. I'm not defending Vietnam in any sense of the imagination. My point is that once we left, the North Vietnamese toppled the weak South Vietnamese government, just like the Taliban will. We will never "win" in Afghanistan.

My reading of those recent Afghanistan papers was that 99% of the time there has been utterly wasted and we've been lied to. There were no workable strategy and no plan for ultimate success. I admit that I haven't read the papers as closely as I would like- life gets in the ways sometimes. But my understanding was still that in those earliest days we had an opening to really drive the Taliban out and failed to do it. From there it has been nothing but an unwinnable quagmire that has cost us, our allies, and the Afghanistan people countless lives and that the reasons for remaining were nothing but lies.

And let me clarify what I mean by "supporter" of the Afghanistan war. The Taliban were terrible people who treat their people (especially women) terribly and knowingly protected Bin Laden. I don't regret us going after them, I regret our inability to see anything beyond our nose and fighting a fruitless war that has done nothing but hurt people and left the country worse off. We should have cut bait 17 years ago and gotten the hell out of there because there was no positive outcome even then. But in those days immediately after 9/11 a response was necessary- we just really fucked it up. Iraq is completely unjustifiable.

Last edited:

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
FUCK FUCK FUCK Waking up to this news was NOT a good experience. Jesus Christ, I don't want to die like this FUCK FUCK

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Jesus Christ at Fox News, they'll cheer lead anything Don and his syndicate does. All while accusing the opposing media of exactly what they're doing.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The painful thing is that in 2002/03 it really looked like we had the Taliban on their last legs. They were driven to the boarder of the country and were reeling from a focused NATO assault. Then we (the US) lost our focus and went into Iraq. That opened the door for the Taliban to regroup and claw their way back. Once they did we were never able to really regain the upper hand like we had for those months before we invaded Iraq. Once that happened there was no "winning" the war in a traditional sense.

The nation building we did was a joke. No comprehensive planning, just a one dimensional approach of bombing and then sending over a couple of engineers to help them build roads. Utter failure.
I personally think that the painful thing about the Afghanistan war is the hundreds of thousands of people who died, maimed, got displaced, or had their lives ruined in ways one prefer not to think of.
But I guess the fact that the US didn't manage to install a pro America puppet regime there is also kinda sad.

And I don't know how anyone can read the Afghanistan papers and come to the conclusion that the US was closed to achieving anything. You have American generals straight up saying that they didn't even have a good idea what the mission was.

Macattk15

Nov 4, 2017
User warned: inappropriate language
FUCK FUCK FUCK Waking up to this news was NOT a good experience. Jesus Christ, I don't want to die like this FUCK FUCK

Chill. No one died. That being the result likely means nothing more will happen because of this ..... at least for the immediate future, unless Trump goes full retard ... which you can't plan for.

Daxter01

Nov 3, 2017
Irans media here in iran is saying more than 80 American soldiers are dead, its a victory and hard revenge. Trump dont fuck it up please

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No Vietnam was a fucked up situation. I'm not defending Vietnam in any sense of the imagination. My point is that once we left, the North Vietnamese toppled the weak South Vietnamese government, just like the Taliban will. We will never "win" in Afghanistan.

My reading of those recent Afghanistan papers was that 99% of the time there has been utterly wasted and we've been lied to. There were no workable strategy and no plan for ultimate success, but I thought the qualifier was that the invasion of Iraq was a major complicating factor. I admit that I haven't read the papers as closely as I would like- life gets in the ways sometimes. But my understanding was still that in those earliest days we had an opening to really drive the Taliban out and failed to do it.

And let me clarify what I mean by "supporter" of the Afghanistan war. The Taliban were terrible people who treat their people (especially women) terribly and knowingly protected Bin Laden. I don't regret us going after them, I regret our inability to see anything beyond our nose.We should have cut bait 17 years ago and gotten the hell out of there because there was no positive outcome even then. But in those days immediately after 9/11 a response was necessary- we just really fucked it up. Iraq is completely unjustifiable.
You had so many deaths, so much destruction, it cost so much money, and we all know how it's gonna end.
You're not gonna improve anyone's life but a few corrupt assholes in Kabul who got rich working for the US and will get green cards when the US leave, just like they did in Vietnam, and they will leave the poor people to fend for themselves.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
The fuck do the Vietnam and Afghan wars have anything to do with the Iran situation? The incompetence of this place is almost too much sometimes.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
I personally think that the painful thing about the Afghanistan war is the hundreds of thousands of people who died, maimed, got displaced, or had their lives ruined in ways one prefer not to think of.
But I guess the fact that the US didn't manage to install a pro America puppet regime there is also kinda sad.

And I don't know how anyone can read the Afghanistan papers and come to the conclusion that the US was closed to achieving anything. You have American generals straight up saying that they didn't even have a good idea what the mission was.
I think I clarified my statement.