• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
A video from that Ukranian airplane:

That looks so bad...

Plane was already on fire before it hit the ground.

Dont think its related to the Iranian attack though, looks like an engine fire. Hard to tell since its night.

So what happened to the Iranian Jets that flew into Iraqi airspace? Was that just a bunch of fud then?
Airspace incursions are pretty normal in situations like these, could have just been a show of force or something.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I don't believe a word of what Trump says. There could easily be US casualties and he's just lying.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
It looks like it was.

I'm following a Twitter conversation between a NatSec Reporter from Defense News and Ars Technica's military/NatSec reporter which suggests this.

Both are reputable sites, although this isn't an official announcement: just their Twitters.
I'll add that Iranian state media looks to have confirmed the airspace incursion, but...

... airspace incursions are common, and we don't know how deeply they penetrated. To be honest, just a penetration of airspace (or something called the Air Defense Identification Zone in the U.S., which is a frontier at which civil aircraft have to announce their entry and request clearance) doesn't necessarily mean much. What would matter is what these aircraft were, what they were carrying, and what they were doing.

So it could've been a show of force, if anything.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Iran wants war with the US, I do however think they want to make it clear that they're not okay with such assassinations.
If that attack was enough depends in large part on how Trump respond next.

He's such a baby he won't accept that. It's like someone who always has to have the last word in an argument - even if they lost the argument.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure I can find the lesser of two evils if it means bolstering his base and helps him get reelected.
Considering we're potentially talking about millions of dead Iranian here, and really something that will destabilize the region worse than the Iraq war, I suggest we don't think on such narrow, American electoral terms.
I seriously doubt anyone that would have been persuaded by that bullshit would have voted Democrats anyway.

Oct 29, 2017
I hope he is. Still makes me worried about him. My sister has had it rough. My nephew's father died at 46 while he did his basic training. If something happens to him. I don't know how she would react.
I just spoke with my Sister, my nephew is currently in Baltimore. He decided against re-enlisting for another four years of service. He flew out of Kuwait this morning. Had he accepted another four years, he would've headed to Iraq. I'm so happy he's ok.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So iran tried as hard as they could to avoid hurting anyone and said "there is our display of force"?

This info train moves so fast
I'd say so. There are so, so many other far worse ways they could have retaliated. There's a shit ton of proxies ready to go, they have a massive arsenal of far more deadlier precise guided missiles, land to sea missiles, etc.

This is basically a small show of force saying 'We're not afraid to hit back'.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
So iran tried as hard as they could to avoid hurting anyone and said "there is our display of force"?

This info train moves so fast

Well- they're in a tough spot. They don't want an all-out war, but it's hard to believe that the hardliners will be satiated by doing a little property damage and calling it a day. Iran's claiming US casualties on their airwaves- maybe they get enough of their people to believe it.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Iran never wanted war, y'all. Trump and co still want regime change due to the oil. Iran was smart to not give them a "reasonable doubt" to do it. I just hope they don't want to so bad that the use this to do it. Luckily no US troops died, so we don't have an immediate attack, and good thing no Iraqi citizens died because that would just worsen things for our troops.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe this shows Iran could be trusted with a nuclear weapon. They seem sane. I mean no point in going to war if they continue to enrich uranium.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Iran never wanted war, y'all. Trump and co still want regime change due to the oil. Iran was smart to not give them a "reasonable doubt" to do it. I just hope they don't want to so bad that the use this to do it. Luckily no US troops died, so we don't have an immediate attack, and good thing no Iraqi citizens died because that would just worsen things for our troops.
If Iraq kicks the US out I would imagine that would be more than enough for them.
I personally think that's in everyone's best interests for the US to leave Iraq by the way, but I suspect Trump disagree.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

We need regime change here more than anything

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
Maybe this shows Iran could be trusted with a nuclear weapon. They seem sane. I mean no point in going to war if they continue to enrich uranium.

If Pakistan hasn't nuked anybody yet the idea of Iran having nukes won't keep me awake at night.

I'm sure killing more of their top officials will convince them to stop trying to get one though /s

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
If Iraq kicks the US out I would imagine that would be more than enough for them.
I personally think that's in everyone's best interests for the US to leave Iraq by the way, but I suspect Trump disagree.

That is why it is very good that no Iraqis died either, because then it would place our Troops in even worse of a position. I also feel like we shouldn't be there (Hell even during the lead up to the Iraq war), but if one line of thinking that hasn't changed yet is Trump's stupid ego, and if he feels like he is being forced out of Iraq he isn't going to do it.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

...it's good that no Iraqi citizens died because Iraqi citizens dying would be its own tragedy.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
All I want to say if America couldn't successfully win against goat farmers in a foreign country then I'm not sure how it'll do against Iran who are not in anyway deprived of technology or resources

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Iran gets earthquakes all the time. I'm guessing it is nothing out of the ordinary.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All I want to say if America couldn't successfully win against goat farmers in a foreign country then I'm not sure how it'll do against Iran who are not in anyway deprived of technology or resources
The US didn't lose to Iraq, they quickly toppled the government, the pain came from trying to occupy it afterwards.

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
I look forward to this shitshow restarting because Anne Coulter or some other nobody call Trump weak and he decides to show he's tough by launching another attack. Shit I hope not.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
The US didn't lose to Iraq, they quickly toppled the government, the pain came from trying to occupy it afterwards.

Yeah- the actual 'war', both times, was comically one-sided. The failure for the US is everything that came after- literally to this very day.

EDIT: actually- it was wrong of me to use the word 'comically' in that sentence. There's nothing comical about war.

Last edited:

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
I think we may have seen the end of a very limited exchange. For some reason Im feeling rather optimistic that this whole thing wont escalate much further if at all.