• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
This is usually one of the first signs of action, air defenses are being activated and combat patrols are already up

Edit: Gulf of Oman is where I'd bet a retaliation strike would originate from.

Probably US aircraft on alert doing patrols

I would say regardless of any planned action, the FAA doesn't want any American civilian airliners accidentally shot down.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
glad to hear no U.S. troops were killed, hopefully it means that cooler heads prevail in this shitshow of an administration.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Hoping nothing more happens in the region because the people if Irak deserve a break. I recall Trump supporting the riot in Teheran recently, so I hope he understands normal people are not at fault because of power hungry military people. I hope Iran understands that too.
Even if this is not a "global" war, it will affect us all.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It will be interesting to see which impulse wins out here, Trumps temper or his cowardice. He acts big when its all talk, but now he will need to act. I think it will come down to how tangible or abstract of this conflict feels to him. If he has trouble visualizing the impact and reality of whats happening, then he might continue his chihuahua-like barking because feeling he is still far removed from any real consequence. But if he can somewhat accurately appreciate the reality and magnitude of this situation, then the cowardice might set in.

I think we need to stop framing descalation as cowardice. Even if we think it might be. It's not good to imply not bombing the shit out of another country is cowardly.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
So practically it seems likely that this was more of a warning shot from Iran than full escalation. Too bad that there were casualties.

Hopefully the whole thing will deescalate.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it all cools down and we can get to the end of 2020 peacefully so this pos trash can finally be gone.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
That's a shitty response, shouldn't he be taking this moment for the limelight and advocate for pulling troops OUT to stop escalation? Missed opportunity on his part maybe?
it would be political suicide to say there should be descalation before we know anything regarding casualties. If u.s. soldiers happened to be dead then any politician that says nothing should be done about it would be kissing their career goodbye.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
So practically it seems likely that this was more of a warning shot from Iran than full escalation. Too bad that there were casualties.

Hopefully the whole thing will deescalate.
I hope that we just don't do anything. If Iran is right by their word they won't do anything back if it all stops. I'm just trying to be hopeful.

This shit sucks.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Iran's supreme leader says US may harm Iran — but they harm themselves many times more
From CNN's Artemis Moshtaghian
In an undated video shared by Iran's semi-official Fars News, Iran's supreme leader is seen addressing a large crowd saying that the US may harm Iran — but they will harm themselves many times more.
Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khameneii added: "I said during a speech at the time [of President Obama's presidency], that the time for hit-and-run is over. If you hit, you get hit back."

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so did iran basically attack specific places where they knew there would likely be no casualties? seems like this might of been a bit of chest thumping by iran while not directly trying to start a war. don't like that they want to play chicken with a psycho in the white house.

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to know who put the seed into Trump's brain to order the assassination to trigger this in the first place.

Absolutely no way he conjured this up himself.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
it would be political suicide to say there should be descalation before we know anything regarding casualties. If u.s. soldiers happened to be dead then any politician that says nothing should be done about it would be kissing their career goodbye.
This. People act like Biden isn't an experienced politician. He knows how to handle situations like this. You don't come out hot on a situation like this without all the facts as it can easily backfire in a number of ways. There are ways to do this and do it well.

Kanethered

May 29, 2019
User Banned (1 Month): Disregarding the Staff Post in Regards to Unverified Sources
Both Americans and Iraqis have no deaths. All missiles missed the target or shot down by air defense missile.

Mod Edit: Removed Unverified Source

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
so did iran basically attack specific places where they knew there would likely be no casualties? seems like this might of been a bit of chest thumping by iran while not directly trying to start a war. don't like that they want to play chicken with a psycho in the white house.
From my understanding they're just rockets working off a parabola, like, no guidance, so kind of a spray and pray attack.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'd like to know who put the seed into Trump's brain to order the assassination to trigger this in the first place.

Absolutely no way he conjured this up himself.
Apparently they gave him a menu of options, using that one as the one to make the other ones look more palatable.....And he chose it.

One narrative says Pompeo has helped prime the pump though for years.

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
If this is all true I'll have to give Iranian leadership some credit for being smart enough to only shoot at dirt.

Hopefully they can claim "revenge", put out some propaganda, and call it a day.

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. I cannot believe there are people in this thread actually boasting/pridefully making remarks about the destructive capabilities of an army or crushing a country, when they should be absolutely horrified that it has come to this, where two nations will be at war with each other, and there could be countless collateral damage as a result.

Fuck.
I think it's important to remember that we Americans fucking love killing folks especially if they're on the browner side

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Mod Edit: Removed Unverified Source
[/QUOTE]

Uh... this doesn't sound like a very credible source. I mean, they're using exclamation points?

game-biz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you think Iran's leaders are suicidal?
Likely because they think Iran will be (is) attacking back a greater military power that will strike back excessively. They see it as futile attempt that will only give the US more reason to start a war. An important fact here, though, is that there are no American deaths. Important for the US and for Trump. If there were, that would be enough for Trump to retaliate strongly, bringing us into full blown war and the eventual death of Iran's government, which the Iranians certainly do not want.

Looking from Iran's perspective, they don't want war, but they can't let a high ranking military commander's assassination go without hitting back. It's a calculated risk, just like it was with Trump starting this shit in the first place. The best case scenario is that there will be no further attacks, or very limited attacks...beWe can all hope that happens, but I personally don't see it. Trump has the ball in his court now, so yeah...

If I'm Trump, I'd listen to the person telling him that so far this retaliation is "nothing" and that if the price to pay for the murder of Iran's general is a few Iraqi deaths, that would be a damn good deal for any president to take right now. That, compared to the casualties that a long, miserable war would bring, is a massive difference. It's already fucked that Iraqi soldiers died for this shit and Trump's sensibilities for the kind of deescalation that must happen and happen quickly, doesn't give me any hope.

Without a full explanation/competent defense for the assassination by the US, it's really difficult to predict what Trump/US are thinking. What it looks like is that there is no coherent plan and that Trump already has blood on his hands for Iraqi's casualties and likely the deaths of many more coming.

The only thing that gives me hope is that Trump knows a war is something he definitely would want to deal with...but he's also desperate for a second term...Frightening times for the innocent people that Trump has forced in this mess. I wish I had better words, but stay safe.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iran could definitely hit all the US bases in their immediate vicinity (Iraq, UAE, Bahrain, Qatar) and probably Saudi too pretty accurately.

This strike will allow Iran to save face, while hopefully not killing anyone.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
If this is all true I'll have to give Iranian leadership some credit for being smart enough to only shoot at dirt.

Hopefully they can claim "revenge", put out some propaganda, and call it a day.

Were they just shooting dirt though? Wasn't there an Iraqi causality? However, I suppose it is possible the Iraqi military member got hurt in the panic and wasn't really hit by the damage caused by a missile.

Deleted member 57578

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Lots of reports cited here and elsewhere from correspondents in the middle east stating no American casualties. Seems reasonable to assume that sending dozens of cruise missiles against static troop positions without incurring a single death is a relatively non-aggressive act of face saving on the the side of the Iran. I'd put money on this being the end of the conflict.

No one knows how Trump will react obviously, but retired military figures (like Petraeus- interesting inteview here: Foreign Policy interview with Petraeus) are painting this as an unequivocal win, so it's not unreasonable to assume that's the advice he'll be given by his generals. The appearance of victory seems to be the guy's primary motivation in life.