• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Dude swore he was Mr Anti War. This is folly. I'm no fan of Iran but there's a way to deal with them without continuing to destabilize the region.

Meanwhile John Bolton is in a room somewhere just massively ejaculating...

No good will come of this.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No it won't be good at all. But it will be so much fucking worse for Iran. Which is my point, I don't understand why Iran retaliated this strongly.
How to you expect a country to react when you openly declare war on them?
It's not like their highest military general and 2nd leader got assassinated or something. Or is it?

Apr 14, 2018
I broke this news to my supervisor. Her response?

"I can't wait to leave this world and take my kids with me — looking forward to nuclear armageddon!"

She wasn't kidding. She's a Trump supporter and she's loving this.

This is America

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
people are nuts. We're still fighting in Afghanistan and we're still in Iraq. Iran is very unified compared to those places and with very harsh terrain.
I mean, you don't even have to look at a historical conflict - just look at Afghanistan.
It won't be only Iran, we'll have to fight Iranian alighted groups all over the ME. Which I'm sure Isreal and Saudi would also take part in. It's 100% a clusterfuck that was being avoided until Donald the dove decided otherwise
Exactly.

Invading Iran is invading an economy the size of Texas with nearly 3 times the population and more than twice as much area to cover with 10 times the logistical issues. This ignores that this would almost certainly lead to a cascading series of events that would incite massive conflict in the region. Nearly every probable scenario would result in the deaths of millions as a result of the conflict and its secondary impacts. You cannot sell this to America's allies when the resulting conflicts would send hundreds of thousands of refugees to Europe.

Oct 27, 2017
No it won't be good at all. But it will be so much fucking worse for Iran. Which is my point, I don't understand why Iran retaliated this strongly.
I think they also know that the US is tired of war. Maybe this is my being optimistic about my country but I think if Trump goes to war then he loses in a landslide.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
People were talking about WWIII when we blew up an empty airfield in Syria. Shit is absolutely ridiculous. Two world leaders could give each other a mean glare and you'd have people here saying WWIII is imminent. We're supposed to be the level-headed ones who can think critically and rationally. Or so I thought.

It's crazy.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
this is a shitshow. this is a massive clusterfuck. it's all trump and his warmongering staff's fault.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
first of all I like to apologize for confusing you with an American.

but if you live in Iran you should be well aware that your Armed Forces trained 40 years for an asymmetric war like this.

multiple waves of misile strikes on American bases doesnt feel very "assymetric" to me.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Well my existential dread about a draft occurring I thought I'd left behind in 2008 is back.

What a tragedy for Trump to have waded us into.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Um, Iran is about as mountainous as Afghanistan. But it's way more modern, advanced, and the people are fairly united as far as demographics go. It would be an absolute fucking shit show if we invaded. Like Normandy Beach levels of snafu.

I'm not really wanting to get into this chest beating contest but the U.S. handily dismantled a very large and modern Iraqi army in Desert Storm without any real effort. Under no circumstances would anyone try a land invasion of Iran or to occupy it. It would just be a dismantling of their military capability until they (hopefully) press for peace.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I hope US citizens still backing Trump in any way shape or form whatsoever, do understand that right now, the US won't even have allies anywhere in the world, Europe included? Trump has been insulting and condescending everywhere he went, European leaders and citizens alike despise him and think he's an gigantic buffoon, so if y'all think you're gonna get the support of your usual allies in this shit war Trump started by himself, I'm afraid to tell you that the answer for any support is gonna be incredibly non-existent. Feels more and more like the US is backing themselves against the wall right now.
The Allies thought the same of George W, but still followed him into an illegal war. Decades of military cooperation won't be held back because Trump is twitter troll.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
"we can just flatten the country"

oh so genocide

Indeed. I cannot believe there are people in this thread actually boasting/pridefully making remarks about the destructive capabilities of an army or crushing a country, when they should be absolutely horrified that it has come to this, where two nations will be at war with each other, and there could be countless collateral damage as a result.

Fuck.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
i know this normally doesn't apply to trump, but wouldn't congress be able to stop any new declaration of military activity against another country?

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Please don't joke about flatting a fucking country and all it's citizens in threads like these. Have an ounce of self awareness in what thread and when you're posting.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I fully expect Iraq to turn on US troops too. And as horrible as it is, I don't blame them. They've been fucked like a ragdoll by the US for 2 decades.

And no way the US wins this. It will be more like Vietnam, especially if Iran has Russian support.

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017
All these "Iran must be suicidal" comments are triggering the fuck out of me.
It's always coming from Americans. You can't even fathom the idea of another country not wanting to be America's bitch. What fucking country in this world would just do nothing after a high ranking official of theirs was killed by a different party?
Tell me that country. It certainly wouldn't be America, now would it. And always there is this proudness of your military swinging with all of it. It's sickening.

This bullying mentality of "yeah we killed him but you retaliating is dumb because we will 'flatten you' lul" is the worst. I know you folks value the life of one American Soldier more than 1000 Iraqi lives, but at some point it's time to stop and get some fucking perspective.

This x100

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
The US Navy has enough firepower to basically flatten the country, and they can be launched from anywhere. Straight up attacking US forces will provoke a massive retaliation even more so than Iraq. Iraq was about trying to occupy a country, if the US doesn't care about that, they could destroy Iran without even launching any nukes.
Carrier groups still have an effective range of roughly 1250 nautical miles. Putting aside anti air capabilities for sortied craft there isn't a safe distance at which the USN would be able to attack with impunity.

The practical advantage of american military tech is much smaller then the expenditure gap would lead one to believe

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
People actually think a boots on the ground situation in Iran is possible? No.. just no. Go pull out an atlas and take in what Iran is for 10 minutes.

It would make the Vietnam War seem quaint, short and clean.

Unless ICBM's get involved, Trump is a fucking moron that has a boner for the US' nuclear arsenal so that's a combo that fucking terrifies me.

I remember reading something a while ago about the US putting a bill through or something to prevent the president from having the power to do something like that anyway though so... hopefully that's the case.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I hope people also realize that Iran isn't just confined to the geographic delimitations of the Republic.
Iran has massive influence over Syria, Iraq, and Lebanon. A couple of days ago Hezbollah called for open aggression against US bases.

If there are no casualties, there is still hope that this could be seen as de-escalation. Iran had to retaliate in proportion to the assassination of Suleimani. If an attack on a base with no deaths occurs, it could be seen as a legitimate response that doesn't yet close the door on alleviating the conflict.

Also, this might come across wrong to some but can we please stop it with the " WW3 LOL" comments on a whim? This doesn't affect you in the vicinity of your home in a country that will most likely not be affected by this, whether " this " ends up being a full-out war on the short-run or a series of intense proxy-war deliberations on the long-run. It's the Middle East that will be the loser, again
You assume rational actors.

Oct 28, 2017
I broke this news to my supervisor. Her response?

"I can't wait to leave this world and take my kids with me — looking forward to nuclear armageddon!"

She wasn't kidding. She's a Trump supporter and she's loving this.

This is America
American evangelicals are a legitimate doomsday cult. They pine for the end of the world so they can go to their kingdom in the sky. It's why they love things like Israel - They know it brings us closer to bigger, maybe even nuclear, conflicts.

All the shit they attack Muslim extremists for, they are guilty of themselves. Just in the name of a different religion.