• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tounsi_Tag

Oct 29, 2017
I hope people also realize that Iran isn't just confined to the geographic delimitations of the Republic.
Iran has massive influence over Syria, Iraq, and Lebanon. A couple of days ago Hezbollah called for open aggression against US bases.

If there are no casualties, there is still hope that this could be seen as de-escalation. Iran had to retaliate in proportion to the assassination of Suleimani. If an attack on a base with no deaths occurs, it could be seen as a legitimate response that doesn't yet close the door on alleviating the conflict.

Also, this might come across wrong to some but can we please stop it with the " WW3 LOL" comments on a whim? This doesn't affect you in the vicinity of your home in a country that will most likely not be affected by this, whether " this " ends up being a full-out war on the short-run or a series of intense proxy-war deliberations on the long-run. It's the Middle East that will be the loser, again

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Well RIP Iran I guess.

Assuming the US does it Libya/Iraq 1.0 style and just bombs them.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well shit I guess Trump was lying when he said he was stopping a war. Who could have predicted that?

Oct 25, 2017
People actually think a boots on the ground situation in Iran is possible? No.. just no. Go pull out an atlas and take in what Iran is for 10 minutes.

It would make the Vietnam War seem quaint, short and clean.
It won't be only Iran, we'll have to fight Iranian alighted groups all over the ME. Which I'm sure Isreal and Saudi would also take part in. It's 100% a clusterfuck that was being avoided until Donald the dove decided otherwise

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Talking about WW III absolutely is.

It's not going to happen, people need to fucking cool it.

People were talking about WWIII when we blew up an empty airfield in Syria. Shit is absolutely ridiculous. Two world leaders could give each other a mean glare and you'd have people here saying WWIII is imminent. We're supposed to be the level-headed ones who can think critically and rationally. Or so I thought.

Oct 28, 2017
By no means am I a fan of Hillary Clinton (I voted for her very reluctantly), and while there are a million things you can legitimately criticize her for, I can say with 100% certainty that if she had won 2016, this wouldn't be fucking happening right now.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The bases are probably huge right and the missiles probably aren't that accurate so hopefully no casualties.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
The UK would step up to be the usual lackey that it is, certainly under this government

While the UK elected their current government for a very precise reason (aka BREXIT), and while I have no doubts the Tories would do their very best to lick the US' boots if need be, I'm not exactly that certain that your average UK citizen will agree to anything, actually. But still, they might be the only one.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
To think that there are American women and men who are serving their country under attack tonight directly because of the idiotic decisions of our terrible president is infuriating. I know this isn't new for us, but it's potent and terrifying.

Oct 27, 2017
I hope US citizens still backing Trump in any way shape or form whatsoever, do understand that right now, the US won't even have allies anywhere in the world, Europe included? Trump has been insulting and condescending everywhere he went, European leaders and citizens alike despise him and think he's an gigantic buffoon, so if y'all think you're gonna get the support of your usual allies in this shit war Trump started by himself, I'm afraid to tell you that the answer for any support is gonna be incredibly non-existent. Feels more and more like the US is backing themselves against the wall right now.
Good. This country deserves it and we have to hit bottom before we get better.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
I'm Iranian and I've seen how incompetent and evil the Iranian regime is and that's why I'm scared to death. Modern warfare is not like the old. Technological advantage means that your adversary can't even touch you.

first of all I like to apologize for confusing you with an American.

but if you live in Iran you should be well aware that your Armed Forces trained 40 years for an asymmetric war like this.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Some serious underestimation of Irans military capabilities in this thread. Yes, they are technically inferior, but compared to Iraq and Afghanistan this is a completely different thing to go up against from the US side of things.

Oct 27, 2017
Because the US has 1000x the military capabilities of Iran. The US can easily flatten the entire country if they wanted, Iraq was the disaster it was because occupation of a country is a lot harder.

It doesn't matter if Iran is "in the right", they don't have resources to even come close to competing with the US in a legitimate war.
Um, Iran is about as mountainous as Afghanistan. But it's way more modern, advanced, and the people are fairly united as far as demographics go. It would be an absolute fucking shit show if we invaded. Like Normandy Beach levels of snafu.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
You need a citation of the military might difference? If we're talking just straight head to head, the US has more firepower currently parked in the Strait than Iran has as an entire country.
A factor of a 1000x is a very large number unless you're considering nukes. There's also the issue of how well they can mobilize their military and focus it; for example it's unlikely that they're abandon all their bases world-wide, or implement a draft unless necessary. There's also the fact that it's their country, and not ours. While the USA is clearly much stronger, the strength difference is not going to be a factor of a 1000x.

Unless they carpet bomb Iran with Nukes. Then hell...they'd have proved Iran right for pursuing nukes.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
let's hope Iran and their proxies are smart enough to not drag Israel into this the way Iraq did back in the day.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
US response is almost guaranteed to be disproportionate. what happens when you have a total fucking madman as the president

Protein

Oct 27, 2017
I admire US troops, but it sickens me that some people in this country think a few troops dying would be justification for killing hundreds of thousands of civilians initially - and millions inevitably - in a war.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Trump pulling back? Thats a feat. We can only hope smart career officials will put in the right calls no matter what Trump says.
He's been refusing aggressive action throughout his entire presidency much of the time, we just don't hear about it when nothing happens.

He's a coward, hopefully that guides him here.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Some serious underestimation of Irans military capabilities in this thread. Yes, they are technically inferior, but compared to Iraq and Afghanistan this is a completely different thing to go up against from the US side of things.
I don't think anyone has said Iran can't do serious damage.

DoughBoi

May 7, 2019
Four times the size of Iraq, covered in mountains, functional air defense network.

As nostalgic as it is to see projections that the US will cakewalk to victory like it's fucking 2003 all over again, a hot war with Iran will bring the worst US casualties since Vietnam. At least.
And that's not even taking into account Iran's proxies throughout the region.