• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well, that's it. That's the last move the fed can make to prop up the economy.

This will have a short-term effect, at best and then we're truly fucked.
Trump's a business man. The fiscal quarter is ending in 2 weeks. Business men are incapable of thinking in ways outside of quarters.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just note that this is unlikely to have an effect on mortgage rates as those are being artificially propped up higher than needed right now to control volume for lenders.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I actually have some emergency cash in a savings account. Not sure what to do now, or when the rates go negative.

I didn't even know negative interest rates was a thing.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Awesome, now big money borrowers can hedge their long term bets as they can handle it while we lose any cushion for the coming recession and fuck over the middle class lucky enough to have actual savings. Totally fine, totally normal, love this dystopia.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Anything to prop up the stock market for orange turd. But this doesnt address the economy directly and just leaves us at a massive disadvantage once the recession hits. Powell is a fucking trump sycophant who enjoys taking the insults from his dear leader.
We are likely in a recession currently.

Again, the Fed makes their own decisions. They are not part of the Trump admin.

Oct 30, 2017
I truely believe we're on track for negative interest rates soon. That'll be a trip

This is bad if you have a lot of cash sitting in a bank account

Yeah, I'm really afraid that is going to happen. It's bad enough banks try to get people with all kinds of charges, fees, and minimum, but if we go negative the average person is going to be losing money just having it sit in the bank. Might as well buy your own safe at home and put money in there so it only loses to inflation and not both inflation and negative interest rates.

The only ones who really benefit are people who loan a lot of money, so really a lot of rich folks and companies.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I thought when interest rates reach zero or negative the banks basically refuse to give out loans. Nothing for banks to gain for the risk they have to take so only the best and safest customers are considered. Don't assume you're going to get that mortgage approved.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Hi, stupid millennial here who needs an ELI5. I was going to take a loan out of my 401k in the near future to get a new (used) car. Does this mean I won't have to pay interest on the loan if I take it out? Or would this not affect the loan?

fellsine

Apr 17, 2018
Trump strongly believes* that low interest rates are a magical panacea for the entire economy and has been pressuring and threatening Powell to lower them from the moment he started- while there may be a rationale for it in this emergency — the long term effects are the same as putting the recession in a swollen tin can on a hot summer day and kicking it down the road into direct sunlight.

* he's so stupid and ignorant and narcissistic that the line between genuinely believes, selfishly insists and has no clue what he's talking about is completely irrelevant.
The Federal Reserve is independent of Trump... mostly.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's it. That's the last move the fed can make to prop up the economy.

This will have a short-term effect, at best and then we're truly fucked.

A recession is probably coming. We're not in one yet. What's the plan once it starts?

Increase taxes and increase government spending. But the government needs to do that, not the Fed. Try convincing a GOP government that is required.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Fed is not Trump nor part of his admin.
I know?

You understand that Trump has put Powell under tremendous pressure to do this for his entire term, right? And he was put on the spot last week when an idiot at nbc asked Trump why he hadn't tried to fire him. Basically daring him to try.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
We are likely in a recession currently.

Again, the Fed makes their own decisions. They are not part of the Trump admin.
Yeah they are not but trump has been clamoring for them to go to lower interest rates and lately he has been calling for 0% or even a negative interest rate. And like all the other times the fed listened and within days capitulated to his whims. The whims of an idiot lunatic who only cares about the stock market doing well.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I know?

You understand that Trump has put Powell under tremendous pressure to do this for his entire term, right? And he was put on the spot last week when an idiot at nbc asked Trump why he hadn't tried to fire him. Basically daring him to try.
I'm not sure you understand how the Fed works. Powell casts his vote along with the other members. The chair doesn't raise rates.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Is this YOLO time for say...buying a house/condo/co-op?

Or borrowing from your 401k in order to buy a house/condo/co-op?

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
Is this YOLO time for say...buying a house/condo/co-op?

Or borrowing from your 401k in order to buy a house/condo/co-op?
I wouldn't touch your 401k since it probably lost a lot of value in the past few weeks, but I'm with you on thinking about getting property soon. Assuming I don't lose my job.

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
Trump strongly believes* that low interest rates are a magical panacea for the entire economy and has been pressuring and threatening Powell to lower them from the moment he started- while there may be a rationale for it in this emergency — the long term effects are the same as putting the recession in a swollen tin can on a hot summer day and kicking it down the road into direct sunlight.

* he's so stupid and ignorant and narcissistic that the line between genuinely believes, selfishly insists and has no clue what he's talking about is completely irrelevant.
i dont think he gives a shit about a recession,he just want to get re-elected on way or another he will gladly try to delay one as long as possible

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
So, a recession is officially defined as two consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth, right? Could this be enough to juice this quarter just on the side of positive, so that Recession headlines don't hit until after the election.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right, and if we're in a recession (which is likely, along with probably most of the northern hemisphere right now), this is an independent, nonpartisan move.
You're assuming the institution functions immune to outside political pressure exerted by this President, because that's how it's supposed to function.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Does this mean I can refinance my house to 0%???

No.

Mortgage rates tend to more closely follow the 10 year treasury rate.

The fed fund rate is the rate at which banks lend money to each other. The lower it is, the more likely to lend / more liquidity.

Think of it like the gas pedal of a car on a hilly road. They give it more gas or lay off trying to keep the cars speed (the economy and banking) constant.

Last edited:

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Was planning to refinance student loans here in the next month or so. Should I hold off a bit for this to really be felt, or will it be pretty immediate?

LJ11

Oct 25, 2017
I know?

Has Trump put pressure on Powell to do standing dollar swaps? Or is it the funding market that can fucking choke? Do you think Trump understands what a swap is?