• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The majority of the folks in this thread are doing with their money what the funds are intended for... rent, food, bills, debt, etc.... You are right. It's not a lot at all and likely won't even cover one month's rent/mortgage for most people, but it covers some and certainly covers more than if the response to the OP prompt is "get a PS5". My argument is if that's your response, then you don't need the money and the criteria for who gets the funds should be revisited for people who truly do need it. If your argument is " the funds won't cover much of anything anyways, so at least we should get a little happiness out of it" I don't think our stances are mutually exclusive, but yours doesn't reflect the intention of the money (which admittedly would be the government's fault though above all else).

You have no idea what you're talking about.
Paying down debt is exactly what the federal government does NOT want you to do with stimulus.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Probably nothing right now. I'm still staying with my family until mid next month, and I get paid on Friday anyways so my rent is already covered.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
nothing. Full time uni student here and claimed as a dependent by my parents, which means I'm not eligible

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
You have no idea what you're talking about.
Paying down debt is exactly what the federal government does NOT want you to do with stimulus.
They want you to buy a PS5? Or a 3080? Or a TV? And provide stimulus to industries making record profits because of the pandemic?

The intent is to allow you to spend and stimulate demand thereby hopefully increasing jobs... so on and so forth. So you buy food from restaurants and grocery stores. Clothing or other goods from small businesses. Services from the electrician, plumber, gardener, etc... From locations and/or industries that actually could benefit from recovery and growth. If not, then you donate to a group or individual or charity who will. Are people in debt and/or jobless going to be able to do that before paying rent, bills, dinner on the table, kids' daycare?

If you think the government is giving you $600 to hit F5 a couple hundred times on Amazon.com to buy a PS5 when the next shipment comes in, then god help us all.

powersurge

Nov 2, 2017
Pensacola, FL
We are in line for roof repairs (roofing companies around here are backlogged to hell) after Hurricane Sally so we are hoarding every extra dime we have till we see if they will be over estimate or not incase our insurance payout isn't enough to cover everything. If we have cash left over its going to pay off credit cards. After thats done saving for a new PC.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
Going into the bank. A $600 check does not enable me to buy anything I couldn't have bought before.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna do what Mike Bloomberg should have done with his campaign money. Everybody will have roughly $2 if my math checks out and I'm sure it does.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Sliding scale eating much of mine but pondering what to do. There is a bar that I dearly miss frequenting. Thinking about breaking down to gift cards for all the employees. I'm sure someone else needs it more but most of them are hustling multiple jobs.

I can always throw it into savings but I honestly feel guilty about receiving anything. Yeah I know it's my tax money to begin with.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
The majority of the folks in this thread are doing with their money what the funds are intended for... rent, food, bills, debt, etc.... You are right. It's not a lot at all and likely won't even cover one month's rent/mortgage for most people, but it covers some and certainly covers more than if the response to the OP prompt is "get a PS5". My argument is if that's your response, then you don't need the money and the criteria for who gets the funds should be revisited for people who truly do need it. If your argument is " the funds won't cover much of anything anyways, so at least we should get a little happiness out of it" I don't think our stances are mutually exclusive, but yours doesn't reflect the intention of the money (which admittedly would be the government's fault though above all else).

I'll agree a little bit with the idea that people should think about spending checks locally at small businesses on some nice luxuries, but I'm not sure shaming people on an enthusiast gaming forum for buying video game hardware is the right approach. The onus to help people struggling due to Covid-19 (and in general) should fall on our federal government who has done an absolutely piss poor job helping people during a time where certain industries cant effectively operate, not people making less than $75,000 a year. If people are in a position to help I think that's great but I don't think it's appropriate to shame people who choose to spend there's on something nice during a pandemic where people are basically mentally suffering across the board.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
cocaine

jk, I'm ineligible
Don't short change yourself. Everyone is eligible to do cocaine. You might have a heart attack or need to go to the hospital but the American Medical Association says that coke is a family friendly drug and only warns that kids under 5 not bump rails.

They suggest rubbing the coke on their gums slowly and in small doses until they have the motor skills to blast noise candy.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
I had some unexpected car trouble around Thanksgiving last month that put a damper on my holiday finances; a $600 stimulus windfall would go some ways towards alleviating that.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
600x4=2400

1k to debt, 1k to savings for a house down payment, and $400 for some sort of family outing once things calm down from the virus.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
I'm lucky that I don't necessarily need it for something like Rent or Food, so it's going straight to credit card bill.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Help pay for the surprise appendectomy I just got.

Ouch, I hope everything with the surgery went well. I got so lucky when I had mine, happened a few months before I got out of the Air Force, and was covered fully by the military.

Here's hoping for a quick recovery.

As for my $600, I'm probably going to see it to pay off my phone (owe $425). We're both still working, so we're doing good financially.

Figure I'll just drive that bill down.

The remainder I'll put on one of my credit cards.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
Ouch, I hope everything with the surgery went well. I got so lucky when I had mine, happened a few months before I got out of the Air Force, and was covered fully by the military.

Here's hoping for a quick recovery.

As for my $600, I'm probably going to see it to pay off my phone (owe $425). We're both still working, so we're doing good financially.

Figure I'll just drive that bill down.

The remainder I'll put on one of my credit cards.

I'm covered on grad student insurance just a bit of a nasty surprise over the weekend, glad you and I got it sorted out.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I'm covered on grad student insurance just a bit of a nasty surprise over the weekend, glad you and I got it sorted out.

That's what makes appendectomys so much fun, isnt it. The surprise.

Mine was the difference between getting a $27,000 separation bonus and an honorable discharge vs no separation bonus and a general discharge (general means no benefits like the GI Bill). It couldn't have happened at a better time, tbh.

Although, I'm getting screwed now because I have to repay that $27,000 back before I receive my monthly payments from the VA for my service connected issues (would be about $485 a month).

It's bullshit.